Today's Media Changes...

In my very basement you learned about Mike Richards' new independent venture and Greg Brady's return to mornings on The Fan 590, but there was other news today.

At 102.1 the Edge, my station throughout the 90s, they shuffled the deck. The new morning show is going to be called Edge Mornings with Melani & Adam. That's Melani Mariani and Adam Ricard, in case you didn't know. You can learn everything you wanted to know about Adam but were afraid to ask right here.

Fearless Fred, my old buddy, moves to 2pm-6pm where he will be followed by grizzled veteran Alan Cross. You can hear Alan take a phone call during episode 66 of Toronto Mike'd.

Oh, and they changed their logo. At this moment, this is their logo.

logos_radio_toronto_edge

On Monday, this will be their logo.

new edge logo

The big sports media news today is that FS1 cancelled Fox Sports Live and will not renew the contracts of Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole when they’re up in March. Will Jay and Dan come home to TSN?

What do you think of the 102.1 the Edge changes? Would you like to see Jay and Dan return to Canada's airwaves?

jayanddan

Update: TSN has announced that Jay and Dan are returning home to TSN.

markosaar

I imagine I'll get used to the new logo. My first reaction was that anything was better than the current one ... but then I realised/remembered the current one is a hell of a lot better than all the Edge-era ones I remember. Those 90s aesthetics have not aged well at all. The CFNY stuff was less "x-treme" and purple.

Ambivalent to the line-up... I listen to nearly-ad-free podcasts in the morning. I haven't listened to 102.1 again with purpose since they cancelled Scott Turner's Spirit of Radio show.

February 23, 2017 @ 8:23 PM

max power

@torontomike what became of rick the temp? that was like a temp job. my guess is a move to some bubble gum pop station..

February 23, 2017 @ 9:13 PM

@max power

The Corus PR person I'm dealing with is being coy on the subject of Rick the Temp so my hunch is he's out of the picture. I'm working on confirming that.

Of course, he still has his TV gig.

February 23, 2017 @ 9:24 PM

Puzzle

Edge word scramble:

Deck Shuffle Titanic Chairs

February 23, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

max power

@torontomike as a fellow longtime listener, I was very dismayed at his hiring, he brought no legit street cred to the scene. the knowledge of many of the djs on 102 and 88.1 is what gives the stations their flavour. he would have playes better on 104.5 or 97.3... much more vanilla...

February 23, 2017 @ 10:41 PM

DUTCH

@markosaar

Skot Turner, I loved spirit of the edge Sundays been an NY guy since the 80s.

February 24, 2017 @ 12:30 AM

Brian cook

Rick from my understanding was having issues with having a young family and working both mornings and TV in the evening. I haven't heard him in a while

February 24, 2017 @ 1:19 AM

Rob

Rick was painful in the mornings. It was only a matter of time.

I am not a fan of Fred but being on the morning show seemed to playing to his weaknesses. He was much better solo then being forced into some banter with a partner.

February 24, 2017 @ 4:42 AM

GDB

The logo means nothing. It's the substance that matters and 102.1 lost it a long time ago. They should bring back the only thing they did right in years - Spirit of Radio Sunday. A lot of younger people are listening to that era of music and 102.1 is missing a big opportunity.

February 24, 2017 @ 7:28 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Jay and Dan were not missed at all at TSN. Since their departure we as an audience have witnessed the growth of several prominent female sportscasters. I would take Tessa Bonhomme over Jay and Dan any night.

February 24, 2017 @ 8:18 AM

Daniel

Well that answers my Rick the temp question. Not going to lie, gave up on The Edge after DBS was done, and even then I listened less and less after Jason and Todd left the show.

Nothing they have done since has given me a reason to tune in, including their music choice

I liked Jay and Dan. If only the TSN people had just waited they could have put Jay and Dan on in the mornings, maybe move Naylor to 9-12

February 24, 2017 @ 8:52 AM

Poindexter

3 weeks ago today Rick made an announcement on air saying that this was his last day. He said that the schedule was too much for him. I found it funny that for the next 3 weeks 102 kept using the same promos for the morning show. One would think that management would have their crap together and made the change all at once...

February 24, 2017 @ 9:09 AM

markosaar

@DUTCH,

I knew he went by Skot, but thought he changed it. I was still wrong. It's actually "Scot" now: https://twitter.com/scotturner

February 24, 2017 @ 9:12 AM

DUTCH

@makosaar

I did not know either stand corrected :-)

February 24, 2017 @ 9:20 AM

Great convo with Scot here, and yes, we talk about his first name changes! http://www.torontomike.com/2014/12/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_102.html

February 24, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

Cambo

Edge is a perfect example of Corporate radio and what they've done to radio. Same thing happened at Htz-Fm.

No balls.
No creativity.
No "edge".

February 24, 2017 @ 3:06 PM

Rich

Always thought Adam wasn't suited for prime time radio, hearing him do afternoons. Really surprised to see him in mornings.

February 24, 2017 @ 7:36 PM

Even older "Edge"

Anyone other than me remember late 70's / early 80's "Spirit of Radio" playing Zappa's "Titties and Beer" or Sex Pistols "Friggin' in the Riggin'"? No Corus/Bell/Rogers station would even entertain those after midnight I'd bet.

February 24, 2017 @ 8:19 PM

Javed Jafri

Yes older Edge I remember those days well and how about CHUM FM from the early 70's. Have just uploaded a out there clip ( Van Morrison meets The Third Ear Band) of CHUM FM from 1971 featuring Steve Harris, Reiner Schwarz and David Pritchard. The latter two were there on the first day of the launch of CFNY when they increased their power in 1977 and you can hear a clip of that on the site as well.

February 25, 2017 @ 8:41 AM

Jacob

Re: the new Edge logo. Someone finally discovered the '90s ended almost 20 years ago.

A distressed font in 2017. Really.

February 25, 2017 @ 3:39 PM

Daniel Francis

Hello ESPN for Jay & Dan?

February 26, 2017 @ 7:21 PM

Hoags

What I find bizarre is that there appears to be no one hosting this week at all. Just music and commercials . . . hard to listen to this station any more. It was so great in the day. Such a shame.

February 28, 2017 @ 8:11 AM

Mike

@Daniel - The edge just hasn't been the same for me since Dean left.
I liked the chemistry between Fred & Mel and when they were on in the afternoons a while ago I said to myself they should put them on in the morning, and they did! We'll see how this new lineup works out but to be honest I don't listen nearly as faithfully as I used to.

March 1, 2017 @ 3:43 PM

Vic

Hopefully the additions of Jay and Dan mean that Natasha Staniszewski is out. I cannot stand that woman, she's not pleasant on the ears at all. Beirness is great and actually provides some intrigue to Sportcentre shows.

March 2, 2017 @ 1:13 AM

Irvine

@Even Older Edge: I liked CFNY back then too, but honestly man, what's your point. You're talking about something 30 years ago. That era, that type of media, etc, was done and over with by 1992. It's not coming back so why keep dreaming? The dregs that listen to FM radio have no interest in deep cuts or new music. They're "Wonder Bread" types who are casual music fans at the best.

Does one really need to be a radio wizard to figure out what is wrong with 102.1? I don't think so. The station has been lost for over a decade. On one hand we're told they're targeting the 18 to 34 marketplace (which ignores those people don't care about FM radio but anyway). Yet, this same station hires Alan Cross. I mean, do you really need to work in FM radio to realize that to the typical 24 year old Alan Cross has almost zero meaning? Are they going to give away acid wash jeans & hairspray to their audience too?

Calling this corporate radio is like suddenly discovering oh my God, McDonald's sells fast food. Comparing 102.1 today to 10 years ago is like coming the Burger King double cheese burger to the Wendy's double cheese burger. It's all the same shit and it's not healthy for you.

I realize this site & it's content are "circle jerk central" for a lot of folks still living in 1974. Or 1994. If you imagine some new radio personality is going to change radio and save it, well you probably believe smoking doesn't cause cancer. And you'll tell me about your aunt who smoked for 59 years and was healthy into her 90's.

The world is full of options for music. I can't remember the last time I bought a song because I heard it on FM radio. Thankfully, in the coming future, the Millennials will end FM radio and we'll no longer have to endure the romantic types hoping for a comeback. It wasn't happening 10 years ago. It's not happening now.

PS. To all my haters. I told you so.

March 2, 2017 @ 1:58 AM

Matt

I guess I'll address the pink elephant in the room...

The Edge morning show has plummeted since they fired Dean and Todd. I can't believe no one is bringing that up. They were the top-rated morning show in Toronto, and nothing theyve done since compares.

Whoever is running that station will eternally regret firing the best thing they ever had. I hope some heads rolled after that one.

The new logo etc...it will become another Soft Rock station. Lame.

March 7, 2017 @ 1:11 PM

Shane

The logo should now be pink, because this station has certainly lost its edge! The majority of music they currently play is high in estrogen. I much prefer the 103.3 the edge out of buffalo, where you can still hear man-tunes like tool, korn, rage among others. They shouldnt even be allowed to call themselves the edge any more, perhaps something fluffier.

March 8, 2017 @ 4:49 PM

Shell

I didn't mind Fred in the morning on the Edge. At least he was clever. Melani is perfectly nice, but in terms of general knowledge Fred did run circles around her. She often didn't get his joke references or humour. There was at least some contrast.

My fear for Melani and Adam is that there is no contrast between the two, and no edge. They both sound generally amiable, certainly perky for a top hits type of station, but not necessarily for an "alternative rock station. There isn't anything to grab my attention in their pleasant banter. Good luck to both, but I might finally switch to another station in the morning.

March 8, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

denise

i loved fred and mel. They were funny together. why the change?

March 9, 2017 @ 12:34 AM

Jake

How is Fred handling the demotion?

April 8, 2017 @ 4:29 AM

Kevin

Full disclosure: I'm a guy w/ some background in radio industry, business executive, Corus shareholder, and former loyal Edge listener.

I recall several convos I had with The Edge's top boss around the time of Dean's termination, and in the months that followed, all in an effort to offer my counsel on the station's future direction -- an offer that was not taken. In our conversations, one of the things he said to me at that time, which I found concerning from a business perspective, was that "management" wanted to transition The Edge to a more balanced gender target market. Their subsequent talent, shows & music format that followed clearly indicate they pursued that strategy. But why?

The Edge dominated M18-34 for many years, and was its core strength in Canada's most competitive radio market with no direct competition. Only indirect competition was everyone else who was already targeting, and subsequently sharing, the gender-balanced crowd of A18-45. So rather than keep a powerful and loyal listener base who otherwise have few alternatives (most of which don't involve a radio at all), The Edge/Corus opted to enter the fray and try to compete for an audience share that is already well-divided in a competitive market of a dying industry. So what beneficial business interest does this strategy serve? None. It hindered their business, their ratings & sales performance since Dean Blundell's departure.

Long time Corus shareholders haven't seen a return on this broader strategy at all. So why would Corus do this? The answer is more ideological: it's Corus' corporate strategy to be a leading broadcaster of family-oriented programming in Canada. Translation: no masculine, hard, testosterone-fused, provocative programming on our networks. The true divisiveness with that strategy: "family programming" means feminized content -- softer, gentler, sensitive, light, safe. Great for women and kids, don't get me wrong. But men find that stuff boring, slow, and unpalatable. Men appreciate masculine content. Not only did Corus take that away from Toronto's loyal male Edge listeners, they left us with virtually no radio alternatives to turn to. Those of us disenfranchised Edge-loyalists moved on from Toronto's FM radio and moved to out-of-market broadcasts or online streaming, which, by the way, Rogers offers their customers for free using Stingray, sans commercials. But I'm sure the top-heavy oversight of Corus' board of directors (led by the female members of the mighty Shaw family) don't want to hear that.

Though I haven't listened to the Edge in quite some time (thus only now learning of the recent changes there), I do have some brief comments:

Regarding Fred, I thought he was great doing the afternoon drive, and then later on w/ Mel, but then when they both transitioned to mornings, Fred's inner-geek was more than I think most listeners could handle or relate to. I also think he was better solo vs. having a partner. I'm sure Fred was disappointed by the demotion, but he's been around long enough to see and know how cut-throat the industry is.

Adam has been a rising star since being the weekend guy, and he sounds so natural, charismatic, and authentic on-air. I'm happy for him and wish him continued success.

As for The Edge's seemingly on-going re-brand efforts: it's been a thoroughly disjointed affair. Part of that problem is management knew who they wanted to attract themselves to, but they never knew exactly what they want to be, let alone knowing how to communicate that to others. The logo change follows a series of other failed re-brand attempts that didn't accurately jive with their content or resonate with would-be listeners.

April 15, 2017 @ 1:09 PM

Munro

Firing Dean-doesn't realize he's killed the joke, it's not funny to anyone else with an ounce of legit funny bone in their body and he's the only one still laughing, fat headed self serving egomaniac-Blundell, was the best move the Edge ever made. Even if only in principal. That level of garbage doesn't deserve to be on the radio unless he's employed by an equally garbage media company (congrats Rogers, suits you well). People ultimately get what they deserve. Blundell got his. Good riddance.

April 19, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

Munro

Just realized Rogers fired him too. Dean Blundell's too much trash even for Rogers I suppose. Once again, Blundell gets what he deserves.

April 19, 2017 @ 8:44 PM

Aria Edge

I want the Dean Blundell show back.

May 11, 2017 @ 8:14 AM

Ryan oullen

Dean Blundell show was the best thing the EDGE ever had. That station went straight into the toilet when they fired Dean and Todd.

I can't stand anyone there now besides Adam. Hes the only one that is the slightest bit funny.

The music they play on the edge is terrible now too. I wouldn't never change the channel with DBS but now I can't listen to it for 10 seconds because from either a bad song, or terrible boring commentary from the hosts.

97.7 for me now

June 30, 2017 @ 2:07 PM

Jamie

I dont listen to any radio since they removed the dean blundell show. Fucking suits think they know what everyone wants. Pussification of the world in full
Effect.