Preserving the Blockbuster Quick Drop

I regularly walk past a building that was once a Blockbuster video store. Most recently it was a dollar store and is now being converted into a gym, but I know it was once a Blockbuster because it still has a Quick Drop slot.

20170222_172045

With it currently being gutted and remodelled as a gym, my fear is they'll get rid of the Quick Drop slot. It's far too young to be considered historical, so every day I walk by to see if it survived the day.

Today I saw they had built a new wooden box on the inside, a sure sign the Quick Drop slot is here to stay.

20170222_172036

Phew!

Brandon

Why would they need a drop box like that at a gym? What's getting deposited in there?

February 22, 2017 @ 10:24 PM

@Brandon

No idea, but the box is new!

February 22, 2017 @ 10:26 PM

Mark H

Is that the Blockbuster on Lakeshore in Mimico? That was my first video store in Toronto. Terrible parking! :)

February 23, 2017 @ 6:38 AM

@Mark H

Technically not Mimico, but New Toronto, but definitely on the Lakeshore.

February 23, 2017 @ 8:13 AM

j

L O L. That's funny, but sweet and nostalgic all at the same time.

February 23, 2017 @ 9:46 AM

H.o.E.

Could it be used as their mailbox?
There is a Starbucks in a former bank building at the north end of Roncesvalles Ave (where it becomes Dundas St. W. at a strange kind of intersection) that still has a small bank vault, I think just inside of where there had been a place for deposits to be dropped from the outside, presumably from the time before bank machines existed. I have no idea what possible purpose it could now be serving. Maybe it just wasn't worth the expense to remove it.
Allegedly the Boyd Gang once robbed a bank in that neighbourhood, although I think it may have been one in a building across the street that's now a daycare.

February 23, 2017 @ 1:37 PM

Next time someone's in the fitness gym I'm going to poke my head inside and ask them what they're going to use the Quick Drop slot for.

February 23, 2017 @ 1:45 PM

H.o.E.

Possible correction to my post above -- according this site:

the bank in that neighbourhood robbed by the Boyd Gang may have been the one that is now the Starbucks at Roncesvalles and Dundas.

February 23, 2017 @ 2:03 PM

H.o.E.

^ And, the big metal thing in the corner of the Starbucks, left over from when it was a bank, is obviously a safe. I'm not sure why I called it a vault, other than a brain fart.

February 24, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

Gary M

Outstanding, Mike.

February 25, 2017 @ 1:43 PM

I spoke to the new owners. They're going to use the Quick Drop slot as their new mailbox.

February 27, 2017 @ 6:08 PM