Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first, goody goody. My Habs and Coyotes both lost. That's no good, but my Habs will beat the Leas tomorrow. Basketball was good though. Cavs won. Hopefully my Suns and Nets will win. Hopefully I will hear about the job as well today.

February 24, 2017 @ 8:27 AM

The Voice of Reason

There should be no difference between the US and Canadian border guards. These characters should not be able to make a break for the other side of the ditch and get in scot free. If they slip out of the grasp of the Amercians the Canadians should catch and release them back in. It needs to be stopped since the word is likely already out and the queue is forming. I really have to wonder why our politicians (AKA Junior) do not listen and continue to power ahead with their agenda. Write your MP.

February 24, 2017 @ 8:33 AM

Ryan G

Late to the party on your other post about radio changes, but that new Edge logo is abysmal. "ok ok...so let's have blocks and rectangles that suggest no inter-connectivity between the vital elements of the station's brand and make one of the blocks....... PISS YELLOW!"

Don't matter anyway. I barely listen to radio anymore as I no longer drive. I do listen to 1010 in the morning while getting ready for work through the I heart radio app but man that show feels like 80 percent ads, short segments from Moore, and the rest consisting of news (with that man on the street reporter who's got a terrible nasally whiny sounding voice) and a parochial sounding traffic gal (who over uses "...in the city of toronto.." .

Other than that, I've always got to have some b/g music on in my house, and 99% of the time it's The Chill Lounge galaxie station through my tv.

On an unrelated note, if you've never been to House on Parliament in Cabbagetown do give it a whirl. Fantastic comfort food and reasonably priced too. Had dinner there last night and I've never had a bad meal at the joint.

February 24, 2017 @ 9:45 AM

It's worth noting though that the Edge isn't trying to attract our aged ears. I think they'd prefer a listener half my age!

February 24, 2017 @ 9:52 AM

Anonymous

CFNY mysteriously cancelled spirit of the edge sundays despite good ratings, and I suppose the thinking behind it was that it attracted the wrong demo based on their existing/desired advertisers. (although i don't know why the sales dept couldn't just go after different advertisers for that show).

This is why I'm a little surprised that Indie 88 hasn't done their own version on Sunday afternoons . I know Bookie's Sunday night rock show includes some older stuff, but i'd tune in to a program on a lazy sunday devoted to alt.classics , and even throw the net a little wider, featuring the best stuff from the late 70' to the 90's. What say you Indie 88 ? WHAT SAY YOU!?

February 24, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

Ryan G

above posting was me. forgot to add my name. WHAT SAY YOU !?

February 24, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

markosaar

@Ryan G,

Thanks, I'll try House on Parliament next time, I used to go to Stout's more regularly but ... very pricey for what it is.

February 24, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

Anonymous

Mike is a turd.

February 24, 2017 @ 11:22 AM

Beatts

That post was also Ryan G.

February 24, 2017 @ 11:23 AM

Ryan G

@Markosaar. - agreed - Stout is over the top pricey for what you get.

Local Gest (formerly Ben Wicks) is more of a watering hole as they've got a great wrap around bar, but they've steadily gotten busier since they took over a few years back, and I assume the food is better too..but haven't tried it yet. I still think of this as a place to have a pint only. They have jazz in there Sunday afternoons at 4:30 which is cool. And, across the street, 3 for 1 pizza and wings is awesome if you're a hobo.

February 24, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

Anyone have a question for Breakfast Television's Kevin Frankish?

February 24, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, can you ask Kevin if he feels the recent changes at the corporation concern him? I would imagine that with Rogers cutting back salaries, even Kevin must be thinking when is his turn coming. If Gord Martineau is expendable, anyone at City is.

February 24, 2017 @ 5:17 PM

dale

# 2 grandchild imminent. A sister for #1, born 12/13/14 - Everett in Ottawa.
Due Feb. 28th, but sometime tonight early tomorrow.
Hope all goes well.

February 24, 2017 @ 6:46 PM

Blind Dave

@Dale

Congrats! My granddaughter is the light of my life. I am so happy for you and your family.

I have a question for the tech savvy out there. My father-in-law is a crusty old curmudgeon (exactly like Jeff Dunham's Walter puppet). He wants a tablet and the only experience he has with a pc is Win XP with the card games and minor internet surfing for news and weather. A friend suggested a tablet with a physical keyboard. If it makes his life hell, and it will, I will suffer too. Any thoughts on a brand or model? Any other great ideas?

February 24, 2017 @ 7:40 PM

Sam

House on parliament has good food but they give you the bums rush if you are not a 4x per week regular.

February 24, 2017 @ 7:48 PM

Dave

In regards to your CFNY post, I would suggest supplementing your Toronto radio listening with Siriusxm. I have both Sirius Canada and XM USA in my car. I was always a big fan of CFTR back from the Tom Rivers John Landecker and Jesse and Gene days. The 70s channel on Siriusxm reminds me a lot of those earlier days.

February 25, 2017 @ 8:01 AM

Cheryl

Not a good night for sports. Basketball was bad. My Nets and Suns lost. My Suns should have won, but they blew it. My Coyotes lost as well. That sucks. Anyway, hockey tonight, good old rivalry between Leafs and Habs. Habs will win. I know they will. My Cavs play tonight as well. My Suns played the Bulls last night so the Bulls have to travel to Cleveland. My Cavs will be all rested up and they will beat the Bulls. I heard nothing about the job. They were supposed to get back to me by the end of the week, but didn't. I will keep asking until I get an answer.

February 25, 2017 @ 8:06 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Octane and Lithium are usually my go to's on Sirius. I wouldn't mind getting Sirius but not for 250 bucks a year.

February 25, 2017 @ 10:55 AM

dale

Grand daughter born at 2:30PM today - healthy & all doing well.
She was born at 2:30PM today at Birthing Center in Ottawa with midwife & son called me at 5:45PM (3hrs later) saying EVERYONE is now home as all OK. Midwife will be going there everyday for next 3-4 days. I guess that's the way it is now. Used to be minimum 24hrs. in hospital care.

Welcome to the world Emlyn Elizabeth Love Ya

February 25, 2017 @ 8:28 PM

Cheryl

Well, I don't want to talk about basketball. I am very worried. My Cavs lost. My Nets lost. It's really awful. My Habs won in overtime though. that's great. Habs will win the cup. My Orioles and Diamondbacks both lost, but my Indians played a great game and won. That was awesome. Anyway, so Indians and Habs were the only good things that happened yesterday.

February 26, 2017 @ 6:12 AM

Ima Fakeologist

There are great free streaming apps for your Android device. Who needs Sirius. I use Xiaalive pro. @jason from Sudbury

February 26, 2017 @ 1:06 PM

I've never subscribed to SiriusXM, but once in a while I borrow cars that get satellite radio. For example, I spent two weeks with SiriusXM just last August

The stations are fun for a bit, but then they repeat. Like, seriously. The playlists are shockingly shallow... Lithium should be able to run for a week without repeating, but you actually hear the same song several times over just a few days. Same with old school hip hop, etc.

I was disappointed.

February 26, 2017 @ 1:09 PM

@Ima Fakeologist

Thank you for the feedback.

I must confess, the fact some listeners might not have heard about Martin Streek is not a concern to me.

February 26, 2017 @ 1:16 PM

Anonymous

@ Cheryl, your Orioles, your Diomondbacks and your Indians. For Christ sakes pick a team....

February 26, 2017 @ 1:47 PM

If you had to pick a team, it's super convenient to pick the team with every game on terrestrial radio in your market.

February 26, 2017 @ 1:49 PM

andrew

@Cheryl
Anyway, anyway, anyway.
@Anonymous
Cheryl doesn't know how to pick a team. 3 Baseball, 4 NFL, 2 NHL, 3 NBA & NONE of them except her Cavs have won anything the last 2 years.
Anyway gotta go.

February 26, 2017 @ 2:54 PM

Tom

Its Oscar night in America. U think the anti-Trump rhetoric will be left & centre (no pun intended)?
They may give it to Streep so she can just rant to the 1+B people watching about how bad Trump is. This from a woman who gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski, the child rapist.

Should be fun to read Trump's tweets.

February 26, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

McNulty

@ Mike

Further to my tweet......

Ranking Hidden Figures as the lowest of the nine nominated movies seems far too low. To me, Fences was the most boring of the 9 movies. While it contained fantastic acting, it wasn't anything new and I didn't leave with any new thoughts on life. Viola Davis was great (and I would argue that it was a supporting role and not a lead role...the role in the play version has been categorized as both).

Moonlight was the movie that made me think for a while after I saw it. It was filled with great performances and a great story.

Lastly, I enjoyed La La Land. It was fun, light and enjoyable to watch. Best Picture? Maybe not but I had a lot more fun watching it than I expected.

February 27, 2017 @ 7:21 AM

Cheryl

Well, I like lots of teams. I don't hurt anyone though. I'm totally harmless. Basketball was not good yesterday. My Suns lost. That sucked. Well, the Bucks beat them and they have to travel to Cleveland and Bucks are at the tail end of a back to back so Cavs will win this game big time I hope tonight. My Coyotes won though. That was great that they came back because they did nothing in the first two periods. My Habs will win tonight though. My Orioles won yesterday so that's good. My Indians only tied though and my Diamondbacks lost. Great. My manager is away until Wednesday so a couple more days I think until I find out if I get my job back.

February 27, 2017 @ 7:40 AM

The Voice of Reason

Manchester-by- the-sea should have won best picture. Lion would have won in most years as well. Moonlight and La La Land were produced specifically for Oscar consideration.
The pandering to the committee is actually more embarrassing than Warren Beatty's call to close the show.

February 27, 2017 @ 11:18 AM

That was quite the moment last night.

Somehow, Beatty was handed the envelope for Best Actress. That one reads "Emma Stone, La La Land". He sees this, checks the envelope for another one, looks confused and baffled, and hands it to Dunaway.

Dunaway, who apparently needs glasses she wasn't wearing, just sees "La La Land" and reads that. Now it's done - and Beatty is probably hoping that La La Land really did win. Dude's 79 in front of millions of people.

Amazing this could happen with an accountancy firm handing out the envelopes and "double checking" to preserve the integrity. I actually tweeted that I was perfect in my predictions after La La Land "won" and had to rescind the brag when it was revealed Moonlight was the true winner.

February 27, 2017 @ 11:23 AM

Beatts

That's why you should never trust anyone with the last name Beatty.

In that spirit, I told my kids this morning I'm taking them to Disney ,then said "Sorry I meant other kids"

February 27, 2017 @ 12:07 PM

Jody Thornton

Hey Mike:

I've noticed in the last couple of months of podcasts, at least, that there is some roll off of response in the upper mids and highs on your microphone. The guest microphone is fine in this respect (except there might be some low end roll off). So at the very worst, your voice is boomy and duller, while your guest yields a thinner response.

I went back and listened to you first Mike Richards podcast (was it episode 150-something?), and your voice sounds WAY BETTER on that podcast. Much more clearer and full sounding.

February 27, 2017 @ 10:01 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs won last night and my Habs won last night so it was a good night for sports. Well, my Orioles and Diamondbacks lost, but my Indians won though. Anyway, at least sports was good. I got an email from Human resources and it will take several months to make the software accessible, but they can't guaranty that it will work. My manager did email me when she was away and was sympathetic. Anyway, so who knows. There is honestly nothing out there. My right knee also hurts like hell again. It's all down the right side of my right knee. It's awful. I don't know what I did, but my knee hurts like hell. Oh well, not looking for sympathy. It's only here if you want to give it to me, but boy it hurts.

February 28, 2017 @ 7:08 AM

Reg

Cheryl would find a way to complain about Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny.
OH wait,she hates Santa and I believe she said she wants to kill him along with the recycling bandit.
The Easter Bunny has just gota be shakkin' in his fur.

February 28, 2017 @ 8:06 AM

the brother

Any conspiracy theories on what is happening at chumfm in the morning?

February 28, 2017 @ 9:25 AM

@the brother

Why, what's happening over there?

Roger and Marilyn are still going strong as far as I know.

February 28, 2017 @ 9:30 AM

the brother

They haven't been on air Monday and Tuesday which is unusual and the fill in is the Caitlin who has been handling the 'what's trending' segment recently.

Theory #1: Roger had a bad reaction to the Folger's coffee commercial that ran during the Oscars showing Marilyn prepping for her TV show and in what appeared to be a radio station studio with a stand in for th morning show co-host!

February 28, 2017 @ 9:40 AM

the brother

https://youtu.be/cOStjXC7EWo feat 'the funny one' aka not Roger

February 28, 2017 @ 9:53 AM

mrmojorisinca

no entry for the Boyle trade?

February 28, 2017 @ 3:16 PM

@mrmojorisinca

I'm definitely slipping over here. So busy lately!

February 28, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

mrmojorisinca

when i didn't see one I thought maybe you were on vacation.

February 28, 2017 @ 3:32 PM

@mrmojorisinca

I missed the Raptors Tucker trade, too.

February 28, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Deheryl

Nothing at all happened last night in sports,how boring,anyways both my brothers are in Florida for spring training baseball.They have been to 5 parks so far but have had no luck at finding jobs as grass cutters,anyways.

March 1, 2017 @ 3:28 AM

Cheryl

Well, Habs won last night. Boy, 0 to 0 after three periods. They won in overtime. Coyotes not so good, they lost big and Vermestrov had to be carted off the ice on a stretcher because Colin Miller hit him. That's no good. Basketball not so good. My Suns lost. Baseball my Diamondbacks won, but my Orioles and Indians lost. Oh well. My trainer focused on my knee yesterday. We did some gentle stuff on it, some stretching. I think it's a bit better, but it still hurts like hell. As for the job stuff, I can't find anything. Who knows if they will make the software accessible or not.

March 1, 2017 @ 7:56 AM

Cheryl

My Cavs lost. That was not a good game. It sucked. I'm worried. They better not lose first place, but what if they do. Colin Miller didn't get suspended, but he should have as he hit a Coyote player and had to be carted off on a stretcher. Well, baseball my Orioles won, but my Indians and Diamondbacks lost. I had lunch with my neighbour yesterday and we talked about retirement and stuff. I actually can retire as it looks. I'm not working anyway. I will only go back to work if upper management decides to work on making the system more accessible. If they do that, it would only be nice if I did get back to work.

March 2, 2017 @ 7:14 AM