Brian Boyle a Leaf, P. J. Tucker a Raptor

I've been busy. I've failed to document not one but two significant trades involving Toronto teams.

Yesterday the Leafs sent minor-leaguer Byron Froese and a conditional second round pick in 2017 to Tampa for fourth-line centre Brian Boyle. The only reason you make this deal is to make the playoffs this season. It seems the tear-down is officially over.

boyle

Depending on the day, I can be passionately want the Leafs to miss the playoffs and land another top ten pick or make the playoffs and give me some fun April nights with the family. It seems the Shanaplan now calls for option #2. Giddy-up!

The Raptors, meanwhile, have won four in a row after a rough stretch. All four games have been comebacks from double-digit deficits and thrilling finishes. The defensive intensity late in games has been amped up with the addition of Serge Ibaka and now P.J. Tucker.

While I was busy, the Raptors sent Jared Sullinger and two second-round draft picks to Phoenix for the former Toronto draftee. We're going to need him if we're going to take a series against the Cavs.

tucker

We're all hoping we don't meet the Cavs until the conference final, but Kyle Lowry's surgery makes that unlikely. But if a finals berth goes through Cleveland, it might be better to catch them early. Here's hopin'.

Beatts

Boyle is a quality pick up.

Good job Lou.

February 28, 2017 @ 8:05 PM

James Edgar

It sounds like all three pickups are quality.

Who could have imagined two MLSE sports teams being properly managed a couple of years ago ?

Well they look like they are being properly managed at least.

March 1, 2017 @ 10:18 AM

mrmojorisinca

3 maybe even 4 teams

Both TFC and most recently Argos are putting together good teams (well Argos have hired two reputable people in management/coaching rolls)

March 1, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

@mrmojorisinca

I saw a tweet about the Argos move, but it's so tough for them to cut through the noise in this city when the sports talk is all about the Leafs trade, the Raptors trade, the Lowry injury and spring training.

March 1, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, do you think the Leafs would have been better this year, had they had a coach like John Torterella? I like Babcock, but I honestly don't think he gets enough out of his players. Torterella and Hitchcock may be more abrasive, but they can get average players to play above their skill level. Babcock is better with a team full of above average players, but in Detroit, he was not a great coach for younger talent.

March 1, 2017 @ 6:15 PM

@The Voice of Reason

I'm a firm believer in the Shanaplan.

March 1, 2017 @ 7:00 PM

dale

@The Voice of Reason
You must be kidding with your comment. The Leafs were again supposed to be 1 of the worst teams in the league this year with many young players.
Babs doesn't get enough out his players??? The youngest team in the league by far & in a Playoff position as of today.
Babs in the past had YOUNG players on Detroit that wasn't supposed to even challenge for the playoffs but each year they did with his coaching.
Torts & Hitch - not a fit for TML.
Shanaplan continues.

March 1, 2017 @ 7:54 PM

elvis

The Leafs are not winning the Stanley Cup this year nor will they in the future with Boyle. Whilst it's not a major move, I hope this isn't Lou thinking a Cup is around the corner with one or two bigger names.

March 1, 2017 @ 8:33 PM

@elvis

I think Lou looked at all the kids and thought a veteran center like Brian would help them evolve.

March 1, 2017 @ 8:35 PM