Wild Card!

I've been a Jays fan since the summer of '83, but I've never seen anything like what I'll see tonight. For the first time in franchise history, the Jays are playing a wild card game to see who advances to the ALDS.

The Jays have won six AL East pennants, only one of which was secured during the wild card era. Tonight is very, very different. It's a one game winner-take-all showdown against the Baltimore Orioles. My stomach is already doing somersaults.

Marcus Stroman gets the start over left-hander Francisco Liriano. Make no mistake, this is a loyalty move by Gibbons. Stroman was our opening day starter, and he'll get the ball tonight, but if you look at everything objectively, you'd likely give the nod to Liriano. I suspect we'll see both tonight.

And that's what makes this one game playoff so different. How Gibbons uses his relievers will mean the world. It's safe to say Stroman will have a very short leash, but if he's pitching well, do you pull him after four? If the first two batters in the second inning reach base, do you go to Liriano then? Is there any chance Stroman faces an Oriole three times tonight?

We're one win away from an ALDS rematch with the Rangers. I'll be watching.... through my fingers as they cover my eyes.

My Scrap Book

Cambo

I think this is going to be a bullpen game. He'll reserve a starter for Thursday in case they win (Happ/Sanchez?), but he'll be switching them fast and frequent. By the third time through, hitters can see what a pitcher is doing to them and adjust- which then it makes sense to have Liriano and or Estrada come in.

That's the pitching. The bigger story will be will the offence generate enough runs to compensate? There is no way this game will be one on one run. They need the 2015 offense to shine here. Both teams are very evenly matched- except for the closer. If we face Britton in the 8th or 9th, and don't have a lead, the game will be over. There is no way they'll generate anything off of Britton.

October 4, 2016 @ 11:02 AM

Neil Clarke Warren

Once again the owner of the team does NOTHING for the fans.
Example;last year they showed playoff games at city hall for the people who could not afford inflated ticket prices....Total Cost at end of the playoffs for Joe Taxpayer $ 74,000 dollars.
The owner of the team did not even do something like make available free coffee or hot chocolate.
Nice eh
This year once again games on at city hall.....WHERE IS THE TEAMS OWNER !!
Oh ya laying out big dough for mistakes like SHOWME & George Stromolopolas

Whew...I feel better

October 4, 2016 @ 11:13 AM

Cambo

@Neil

HUH???

You expect Rogers to reimburse the city for doing something of THEIR CHOICE? Every team inflates the prices-every single one in every league. It's called Free Enterprise.

Don't turn this political, man. Just enjoy the ride.

October 4, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

I've learned sports is more fun if you don't dwell on who owns the team.... especially in this city where they're all owned by Rogers, Bell or both.

If you enjoy the sport and the team, enjoy it... if you don't, please opt-out.

October 4, 2016 @ 11:22 AM

Anonymous

I think Mike is right. Both Stroman and Liriano to pitch tonight. I like that the Jays have manufactured runs the past few games. If the offense is sputtering, you have to find ways to score in the games that matter. Go Jays!

October 4, 2016 @ 11:47 AM

Cambo

I think we'll see Estrada for a bit too- depends on what Baltimore does.

October 4, 2016 @ 12:01 PM

Alan

Plain and simple the Jays have to score some runs tonight and lots of them. They cannot keep depending on their starters to all but blank their opponents.

October 4, 2016 @ 12:43 PM

Derrick

@Neil and @Cambo,

Ticket prices are set by MLB, not the Blue Jays.

50% of tonight's gate receipts will go into a player bonus pool. 15% will go to the MLB Head Office. The remainder, 35%, goes to the team.

For any future games - ALDS/NLDS/ALCS/NLDS/WS - the split is 60%/15%/25% for players, head office, and team.

Plus whatever they get in concessions, plus the TV revenue.

Honestly, keep the money, use it to sign Edwin. I don't need a $1.50 coffee.

October 4, 2016 @ 2:09 PM

Happy Lucky Fortune

I'm upset that the CBC's "Kim's Convenience" premier has been delayed a week because of this game. As the CBC has told us on every radio station today. Must be nice to have that kind of marketing money.

October 4, 2016 @ 4:08 PM

Douglas

With tonight's game being a win-or-out game, I expect Gibbons will entertain using anyone to get win - pitching, hitting, running, fielding - whatever. Just win. Adjustments for the next game can be made after winning tonight.

October 4, 2016 @ 4:45 PM

Douglas

I intensely dislike seeing a typo right after I click "Post Comment"! (sigh)

October 4, 2016 @ 4:45 PM

@Douglas

One day I'll update the system so you can edit.

October 4, 2016 @ 4:46 PM

twins from bolton

1 son won a pair of tiks before noon today at his work. Paid $10 to go into draw & over 50 people went in for 2 pairs of tickets.
He was hyped as he called me at work & said he won but taking a freind which was fine by me.
All of a sudden he was offered alot of $ for the pair - unbelievable amount by Mgt. staff member. He took the $. He can sit home or go to a freinds with a 6 pack & watch the game with no external costs. Just made 2-3 payments on his OSAP.

Money collected to go to charity to a local Caledon charity.

October 4, 2016 @ 6:41 PM

@twins from bolton

Would he have sold if the tix were for game 7 of the ALCS?

October 4, 2016 @ 6:44 PM

twins from bolton

I know he probably wouldn't. Next series will change for sure.
This is 1st time Jays in Wild card - win or lose. He said game NOT worth it. 1 game anyone can win.

Go Jays