How About Those Blue Jays?

Do you remember this time last year? Exactly one year ago yesterday, this happened.

clinchmas

Holy crap, that was fun. Because that led to this.

batflip

I sometimes have to remind myself that we didn't actually make the World Series last year, let alone win it. 2015 was special, despite falling short. One year later, I'm still riding the high.

2016 has felt quite different. Still, we entered September with a chance to defend our AL East title. Then, the wheels fell off.

Tell anyone over the age of 40 that this slide has been the worst and they'll reply with 1987. I remember 1987 vividly, and I assure you that felt much, much worse. The Jays had to lose their last seven to blow it in '87. This collapse has felt less violent, less dramatic, less painful. Maybe it's because I'm older, maybe it's because there's still a chance we qualify for the Wild Card (which didn't exist in '87), or maybe it's because this wasn't a bad week, this felt like a bad month.

So here we are, with the biggest game of the season starting in an hour, and the Jays clinging to the last Wild Card spot. I'm hoping we figure this out, but fully prepared for the worst. After all, I remember '87.

dale

@Mike

You just jinxed it again. I literally gave up earlier this week. 2nd worst record in MLB & lowest scoring team since Sept. 1st.
Next year will be abysmal.
Prediction - done tomorrow.

Have to sign Edwin of any of the free agents.

October 1, 2016 @ 7:15 PM

Steve

I hear David Price won't be starting tomorrow... Could be our luck turning around

October 1, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

As I type, Detroit trails 3-1 and the Jays are tied 2-2 with Boston.

Hope springs eternal.

October 1, 2016 @ 8:54 PM

Jays win!

A win tomorrow and we host the wild card game Tuesday!

October 1, 2016 @ 10:41 PM

FAUNIE

YAY!!!!

GO JAYS!!

October 1, 2016 @ 10:44 PM

Tom

Remember 1987 too. U2 were playing the CNE EX, & the Jays were collapsing vs the Tigers getting swept at Tiger Stadium. It was a gut-wrenching feeling but that U2 show changed it all. It was U2's Joshua Tour & it was a cold misty night coming off Lake Ontario. When Bono walked out in silhouette with his cowboy hat to the intro to Where the Streets have No Name the crowd went nuts, never heard them cheer like that. Bono was in a sling having broken his arm earlier.

The whole show felt spiritual. Where we were sitting when With or Without You came on, there was an actual mini-stampede. People were pushing & shoving one another. It was unreal the power of this band had & the sound they brought. That was when they were good. Even their encore song 40-ty, people were singing it for a long time after the show was over. Something really new for a TO crowd.

But ya the Jays & U2 go hand in hand in 87.

October 2, 2016 @ 1:31 PM

dale

A sad day here. This morning wife & I put down our dog - Truffles after 13.5 years of sheer joy.
Having problems lately but this morning I called the vet for appt with heart beat racing & not walking. Clinic said very busy can U come by tomorrow AM. With the tone of my voice they said come now.

Wife decided to sign euthanasia as heart was weak & brain function not normal. My 1 son is devastated & we all knew before going that it was time. Wife held her as sedative was given.

She was part of our family for a long time & will miss U "girlie".
RIP

October 2, 2016 @ 4:37 PM

@dale

I'm sorry for your loss.

October 2, 2016 @ 4:40 PM

dale

My above comment was for Open Mike, Sorry as tears in my eyes.

October 2, 2016 @ 6:04 PM

GUNTer

@dale
so very sorry about your pal. RIP truffles.

October 2, 2016 @ 8:18 PM

Faunie

@dale

Tears in my eyes as well as I read your post. So sorry for your loss.

October 2, 2016 @ 8:19 PM