When a Marketing Plan Falters

The marketing folks at Budweiser Canada have red goal lights and glasses in homes across this country. With the World Cup of Hockey beginning for Canada last night, there was a mighty push to get people talking about these red lights. I was even sent a glass.

Setting up the glass was easy enough. I installed an app on my Android phone and connected to the glass via Bluetooth. I tested the connection and all was well. Then, instead of drinking from the glass, it was put in on display in the living room so the kids could enjoy the show when Canada scored.

With the youngest two asleep for the night, the rest of us tuned in Canada vs. Czech Republic and waited. It didn't take long for Sidney Crosby to score, and we all looked to the glass. Nothing happened.

I tested the connection again, and it worked fine. We ended up scoring six times and the red light went off precisely zero times. It became quite the humourous joke in our home.

I tweeted about it, and quickly learned I was not alone. Nobody's Budweiser red light glasses worked last night. I actually felt bad for the marketing team that worked so hard for this Saturday night only to have technology fail them.

Budweiser did tweet at me that the problem has been fixed and it should work next game, but that first impression is shot. There's a marketing lesson to be learnt here. Take notes, kids.

dave

How long do I have to wait to receive one of these? I was hoping that the order #61755 I placed on Sept, 12th would have been here in time for the first Canada World Cup game. The beer store clerk and the card that came in my beer box said 3-5 days for shipping, I live an hour from Toronto. I am still waiting for an email telling me that it has shipped.

September 18, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

Lisa

I too have been waiting since Sept 6 for my glass to be shipped to me. When I spoke with them today I was told that they are SOOO backlogged they have NOOO idea when I should expect it, to hang tight for a few more weeks....even though my confirmation says 3-5 days. Too bad cause we may have ordeed more. Unfortunately we won't be able to even have them for the World Cup that they are advertised for. Makes me reconsider ordering more to be honest.
This is a FAILED campaign on Budweiser's part in my opinion.

September 19, 2016 @ 12:35 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

This is the second time in recent memory the people whom run Budweiser has stuck a boner in the air.
When they launched Bud Light Lime they produced 6 packs at a rate of 6 to 1 over 24 packs to give the illusion of high 24 sales and could you could buy the equivalent in 6 packs.

That went over like Freddie P. pitching for Brock windows.
People moved on and now only buy Bud Light Lime as cheap gifts for enemies.
The suits at it again.

September 19, 2016 @ 5:07 PM

Dwight

My red light glass is not working for the USA Canada game - Sept 20

September 20, 2016 @ 8:33 PM

@Dwight

Mine isn't working, either.

It's connected, and I've tested it, but we're up 3-1 and it hasn't gone off once.

September 20, 2016 @ 8:40 PM

andrew

Scammed, just like me a few years ago with bluetooth supposed to be in the Budweiser case. NO a coupon & you had to input the code # & many questions. I gave up & closed internet as another commercial for a product to be promoted.

BTW all the Budweiser cases in the self serve store by me don't have the Bud Light Glass case.
Was this a Gary Bettman promotion for more $ in the coffers? LOL

September 20, 2016 @ 8:54 PM

@andrew

Budweiser is not a corporate sponsor of the World Cup of Hockey. Molson Coors stepped up for that role.

September 20, 2016 @ 8:57 PM

andrew

The marketing plan falters for only those who bought into buying Budweiser case & goal scoring glass.

The winner of this scam was Budweiser with MANY buying cases of beer thinking they would get a glowing goal scoring glass in the case. No such luck. Looks like Budweiser didn't realize the popularity of this gimmick. Glasses will be sent & activated in a few days - AFTER THE WHC IS OVER. Smart advertising on Bud's part. You get a glass in due time, due to large number of patrons & they didn't realize the success they would have with this. This Buds for NOT.

September 20, 2016 @ 9:32 PM

Rob J

Speaking of f'd up, how bizzare was it yesterday with Team NA thinking they had clinched a semi-final berth with their OT win!?

September 22, 2016 @ 9:58 AM

@Rob J

Totally messed up. The coaches knew, but didn't tell the players.

I'd be pissed.

September 22, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

Sara

No shipping was required for me.... my glass came in the case

September 28, 2016 @ 12:40 PM

Mike

Finally got mine in the mail today and it won't even sync to the app. Bluetooth days the glass is rejecting the pairing. Uninstalled batteries as they suggest and reinstall to no avail. Fail.

September 29, 2016 @ 11:41 AM

Matthew Richardson

Read on the faq that it will not start lighting up until the regular season

October 5, 2016 @ 10:50 PM

Stephen Watts

For some reason my tablet picked up the red light glass but then says the glass rejected the bluetooth...is there an easy fix?

November 20, 2016 @ 12:22 AM

Blaine Cassios

Pretty disappointed hockey fans here.I used four of these as Christmas gifts and l had some pretty upset people . Maybe a Canadian promo would be more reliable.Such a shame if this is just a scam!

January 2, 2017 @ 9:22 PM

─╣ynn

Got a light for my husband for Christmas. Still can't get it to connect. Tried different phones and networks. It sucks

February 5, 2017 @ 1:16 AM

George Wettlaufer

I too am having no luck with glass ..
it will give phone links to replays of goals but doesn't light up
even when it says its connected
another brick for the shelf

February 11, 2017 @ 11:24 PM

Gord stevenson

I've done all I'm supposed to do.. test works and light goes off. I picked my cities but light is not going off when they score.. I keep waiting for the next goal but still not working. Push notifications is on..

March 11, 2017 @ 8:20 PM

Paul

Been trying for 2 weeks now worked for half a game. Really disappointing

March 13, 2017 @ 11:38 PM

Sheryl Mellor

Downloaded the app, ran the test. Everything worked great until the Leafs scored and the glass didn't light up. Checked my tablet and ran the test again, all was well until the Leafs scored again and nothing. The next day I called Budweiser and the nice lady said it must be something that I was doing wrong. I asked to speak to her supervisor. For the next 3 weeks I dealt with a very nice guy name Joe Truman, manager in Saint Louis. Bought a new and more expensive tablet. Same result. Joe thought it might be a defective glass and sent me out another and another. After 3 weeks of phone calls, the tech department told Joe that the problem with my glass was that they ran on Bluetooth 5. (That's right folks, the man in charge didn't know). Nowhere in the instructions does it say Bluetooth 5. When I checked into what tablets and phones have Bluetooth 5, the cheapest tablet is $600 and phone $800. I think not. I want to make sure that people who are going out and buying a 24 of Bud beer to get a glass that will not work don't waste their money. I also believe that people who have had the same experience as I have had should be calling Budweiser and complaining. 1(855) 283-7331. I feel so ripped off.

March 6, 2018 @ 12:06 PM