Shomi is No More

Rogers introduced Shomi as a Netflix alternative only two years ago, but is already shutting down the service.

"We tried something new, and customers who used shomi loved it. It's like a great cult favourite with a fantastic core audience that unfortunately just isn't big enough to be renewed for another season," said Melani Griffith, Senior Vice President, Content, Rogers. "We will be reaching out to eligible customers in the coming days as we have a wide range of premium experiences available for people to enjoy."

shomi, a joint venture of Rogers and Shaw Communications announced today an orderly wind down with service ending November 30, 2016. As a result, Rogers expects to incur a loss on investment of approximately $100-140 million in its third quarter ending September 30, 2016 relating to the carrying value of its investment and a provision related to future liabilities in shomi.

I have Shomi, but I never paid for it. It was given to me with my internet service. Although I periodically complained about the interface, I enjoyed many of the shows available there, especially Transparent.

Season three of Transparent only dropped last week and now I have a couple of months to see it before it Shomi disappears. That'll be easy enough.

Rob from Ajax

First, despite what people say about the service (it has its fair share of haters), we have to remember there are 100 people out of a gig come Nov.30. And that's shitty before Xmas.

Second, I personally feel the service got blasted by negativity when it didn't deserve it. ShoMi was never meant to be nor marketed to be a 'Netflix killer'. That was hyperbole spewed by the trolls that kinda took off. Instead, ShoMi was a great companion to Netflix, as it had a number of shows that were not available to Canadians (legally) on Netflix.

But now...I can't help but wonder what will happen to all the content that Rogers/Shaw secured as exclusives, such as Transparent and Sons of Anarchy and Mr.Robot etc etc. Will Rogers and Shaw relinquish their digital streaming rights or will they hold onto them? Because, if the rights are not made available to, say, Netflix...then that means there will be no legal way for Canadians to view that content. And that's shitty.

Anyway. Sucks so many out of a job before the holidays. I quite enjoyed ShoMi and will miss it's offerings that Netflix (Canada) doesnt have.

September 26, 2016 @ 6:50 PM

Anonymous

@Rob Yes a 100 people losing their jobs is shitty. On the bright side " As a result, Rogers expects to incur a loss on investment of approximately $100-140 million " that itself could not happen to a better bunch of ignorant,greedy Pricks.

September 26, 2016 @ 7:23 PM

Ellebee

Crap! I'm like you Mike, I was watching Transparent on Shomi, but to be honest, there was nothing else really. I just hate the way that Rogers decides they are going to drop something or change the services. Yet they make you lock in for a deal. Of course, it's Rogers which is another way of saying Cheaters.

September 26, 2016 @ 8:09 PM

I also enjoyed Catastrophe and the first season of Fargo on Shomi.

September 26, 2016 @ 8:16 PM

Rob from Ajax

@Anonymous Yeah, I get that you and many others aren't a fan of Rogers. I have my own qualms about them. But to be excited about the fact they're losing $100-$140Million seems shortsighted.

You think they're gonna just eat that loss? Nope. They'll be passing that down onto the consumer via their various products' price increases. Maybe not today or tomorrow but they'll make that money back.

September 26, 2016 @ 8:43 PM

Anonymous

@Rob..and I get ya Of course the bandits will pass down the costs of THEIR MISTAKES down to the consumer.
Not a concern to me have not been a cable or internet customer for over 7 years now,don't go to any leaf games anymore,usta go to 5-7 Jays games a year,down to 1 now.
So they flush $ 100-$ 140 MILLION down the toilet and I give em $ 50 bucks a year.
YES that brings a wide smirk to my face.

September 27, 2016 @ 3:26 AM

Patrick

I have to wonder now what will happen to CraveTV? Bell has said in the past it's bleeding money and with Shomi now going away I can't see CraveTV being around much longer.

I also have to wonder if Rogers and/or Shaw will sell the digital rights to the things they have to Netflix? I guess we can say Rogers may be going that route given how they're advertising Netflix as a part of their bundles now but no idea what Shaw is going to do.

September 27, 2016 @ 9:45 AM

Cambo

Poor Rogers. It seems unless they have a virtual monopoly (or very least duopoly), it appears they can't compete with the big boys.

September 27, 2016 @ 11:21 AM

It's possible Amazon Prime is bringing their streaming service to Canada.

It's also possible some of the properties Shomi owned in Canada will be picked up by Netflix.

September 27, 2016 @ 11:25 AM

GDB

@Cambo - I agree!

Further to your comment. Rogers has a virtual monopoly on hockey broadcasts and still managed to screw those up over the last couple of years.

September 27, 2016 @ 11:33 AM

Daniel

While I understand everyones opinion on Rogers passing on their loss on Shomi to customers I don't agree with it. Their loss is a paper loss only, they really don't care at this point. Its just a numbers news agencies can use to get headlines

As for passing on the price to the consumer. Rogers will increase prices by what it thinks the market will bear, regardless of investment losses. Do you think that Rogers was only going to increase prices by $1 but because of this is going up by $1.5? No chance, it was going up by $1.5 regardless

Also if Crave shuts down they better keep Letterkenny on the comedy channel! I will crowdfund support to keep that show going

September 27, 2016 @ 12:31 PM

Derek

I am under the impression that Shaw had more of a hand in ditching Shomi than Rogers. I quite enjoyed Shomi and my kids are really disappointed because there was lots of stuff for them that Netflix doesn't have.

Oh well. Something better will come along soon and we'll forget Shomi just like we quickly forgot C Channel!! Remember that pay per view offering?

D