Raina Leaves Indie 88 for CBC Radio 2

Raina Douris, popular morning show host on Indie 88, has just broadcast her last show from the house in Liberty Village. Raina is moving over to CBC Radio 2 where she'll be the new morning show host, taking over for Tom Power.

Tom Power, of course, has left that role to become the new host of q. That's right, it's q, not Q. Shad was pushed aside to "explore new creative opportunities including a new radio show with CBC".

If you'd like to learn more about Raina, who previously worked at 102.1 the Edge, I urge you to listen to episode 108 of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. I'd rather you clicked and subscribed, but if you're really lazy, just click play below.

Congrats to Raina. CBC Radio 2's gain is Indie 88's loss, but if they're smart, they'll slide Lana Gay into Raina's old spot.

Liz

So that's where she's going! Thank God. The person this week was super lame. Raina is THE BEST! Can't wait.

September 23, 2016 @ 3:20 PM

GDB

Interesting. I will check her out at CBC.

I don't know what CFNY is doing in the morning by adding Rick. It sounds so disjointed.

September 23, 2016 @ 3:59 PM

@OldSouthKyle

@GDB I agree. Their morning show has been struggling to gain any traction since the pulled Dean Blundell. This is what, the 4th or 5th iteration since and each one feels as out of place as the last. You know what's missing? Genuine discussion and good guests. Everything is 2 minutes of sarcastic yammering or friendly disagreements ending with sponsored content before rolling into another set of commercials followed by 8 seconds of traffic that flows into 12 more seconds of sponsored content. It's terrible. I listen to so little morning radio now, I pretty much podcast every day now.

September 23, 2016 @ 8:45 PM

Anonymous

I didn't enjoy Raina's time at the Edge but she did seem to grow a lot at Indie.

At least for me, I enjoyed her much more on her own than paired up with another person. I would hope CBC lets her just be on her own and do her thing.

September 24, 2016 @ 7:57 AM

TorontoRDO

Raina has moved on as it's a better opportunity for her personal growth.
Indie88 will continue to move forward and keep kicking ass in Toronto radio

September 24, 2016 @ 8:45 AM

KevinJ.

@GDB @OldSouthKyle, that is spot on! The show was okay with just Mel and Fred but Rick is awful! There is no continuity with the show, no flow and no excitement. Losing Dean Blundell has been a losing affair for the Edge and whoever made that decision should be turfed if not already. As for what will happen in the future, I would hope they get rid of Rick and when Mel comes back from maternity leave, bring Todd back. He would be a great spark for them.

As for Raina, I liked her on 88.1 and best of luck to her on CBC.

September 24, 2016 @ 11:27 AM

anonymous

@TorontoRDO by what metric is Indie kicking ass? Certainly not ratings. They've been struggling save for one up book.

@KevinJ I think you're the only one pining for the return of Todd and Dean.

September 24, 2016 @ 7:07 PM

Frank Garrett

So I guess nobody will be listening to her now?

September 24, 2016 @ 8:13 PM

Anon&on

Hats off to Indie88 and Raina for letting her do her final show.

September 24, 2016 @ 10:07 PM

Anonymous

indie88 is the most mis-managed station in the country and the morning show recently has been zzzzzz

September 27, 2016 @ 12:35 PM

Har

CBC radio 2 - the only station with worse ratings than Indie 88!

Lana Gay should maybe think of something to say before she cracks the mic

September 28, 2016 @ 2:51 PM

CBC Radio 2 gets you in the company.... the CBC is a multi-platform media giant.

The last person to host mornings on CBC Radio 2 is now the host of q.

September 28, 2016 @ 3:02 PM

Matt Doucette

I actually like the CBC Radio 2 morning and afternoon show. Found it a couple of years ago. No crap, just good music.

September 28, 2016 @ 4:35 PM

Greg

Raina's over-dramatic "opinions" about everything make her unlistenable

October 2, 2016 @ 6:26 AM

Jano

I find her a little too "morning radio" and by that I mean a bit amped up. However, it'a early days and she may calm down a bit. Really hoped that Angelina had taken over, or Nanava (sp) Duncan.
Best of luck Raina.

October 4, 2016 @ 8:46 AM

Anonymous

Is Candice still at indie88? I worked with her at Corus and she is poison for the workplace... potential employers beware

October 5, 2016 @ 1:44 AM

John

Not a fan of lana from indie88 at all, so far she's been all right on radio 2 though. My favourite dj to listen to was Rich Turfry though, mis that guy

October 17, 2016 @ 9:58 PM

Steve

Raina was good in the afternoon show on 88.1 but found her a touch irritating on the morning show with her over the top, sarcastic "affirmation" segment. Quite literally would change the station for a few minutes and then come back. Wish her well at the CBC!

November 18, 2016 @ 5:17 PM

Mark

Just heard Raina on q as part of the Friday panel, although I didn't know it was her, I sat there thinking if Raina on Indie 88 didn't put that white girl soulful affectation on she might sound like this. Good to see her growing. She became unlistenable on Indie 88 and I liked listening to her on CBC.

November 25, 2016 @ 11:06 AM

Cori

I liked Raina at indie88. I preferred her in the afternoon show though.

When I flipped to CBC R2 one morning a few months ago and found her there, I was shocked. She'd completly changed her tone of voice. There were no more stoner jokes or partying references. She was very refined. I haven't listened since because I much prefer podcasts these days, but I do wish her well.

Candice is on maternity leave

December 10, 2016 @ 7:32 AM

David

Raina and Angeline are amazing on Radio2 every morning. It's a really refreshing change of pace from the morning show on CBC mornings in Winnipeg.

We are really happy with the change and the music is so goood!

May 15, 2017 @ 7:41 AM

David

Night stream has it all going. I particularly find the music and news spot on.
Keep it up folks it's all good.

May 15, 2017 @ 7:46 AM