Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

GDB

Regardless of what happens with the Jays this year, I predict that Encarnacion will leave and probably end up with the Red Sox.

September 30, 2016 @ 8:10 AM

Cheryl

Well, so I am second, not first. Oh well. Anyway, my Orioles won last night. That's super. That was really a good game for sure. Now my Orioles have a chance at the first wild card. That's great. My Diamondbacks lost though and my Indians got rained out and will be made up on Monday. The Dolphins lost last night to the Bengals which is not good for my pool. I need to have a beeter weekend in my football pool. Anyway, so my trainer helped me bring out the old smaller microwave. It works fine and it makes better popcorn than the big one did because no matter what, the big one burned it so there was always some burnt stuff and some unpopped kernels. This little one does better popcorn. It doesn't fit my big mugs though. I don't know what to do with the big one. The warranty has expired.

September 30, 2016 @ 8:25 AM

@GDB

I'd bet both Edwin and Jose leave.

I know management is letting them become UFAs...

September 30, 2016 @ 8:29 AM

The Voice of Reason

Team Canada pulled it out last night by playing a 60 minute game. My question is , How come Ralph Kreuger is not a full time coach in the NHL? He has a history of elevating the talent on his teams on the international stage. I enjoyed the novelty of having "gimmick teams", I wonder if the players felt the same way when the the same way when the topic was broached?

September 30, 2016 @ 8:43 AM

Ryan G

*Man the Jays are flat.
*Cycling westbound on Richmond St is an absolute shit-show.
*The last 10 minutes of the World Cup was the only bit worth watching.
*It's Nuite Blanche! Never been! Never will go!
*Toronto Bikeshare's system is hot mess.
*Tomorrow it is fucking October.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:11 AM

@Ryan G

The Jays are flat. Tough to watch.

I'll take your word for it. At least you're cycling.

I watched almost all of the hockey game last night and we looked sloppy and disinterested until the last five minutes. It's like they turned a switch and decided to give a shit and wrap it up.

I've been to Nuite Blanche. It's fun!

I'm sorry to hear that.

Pumpkin spice everything!

September 30, 2016 @ 9:16 AM

Ryan G

@Mike,

I like the idea of Nuite Blanche, I really do. I just don't want to schlep around town at 3 or 4am, not to mention the crowds. I hereby elect you to shoot video of it and then produce a 3 minute sizzle reel that we can all watch, all set to show tunes pre 1940. I'll even do jazz hands while I watch.

And, I like the idea of Bikeshare, I really do. But they're testing my patience. They key /access system has on average, worked 60% of the time (I've built multi coloured pie charts to prove it) This is no good when i need to get to work in the morning. They implemented an app so you don't need a card or key or anything. Said app doesn't work, and then when I call to have them send me an old fashioned key instead, they want to charge me $10 and say they don't really support the app.

Also, I miss Consumers Distributing.

Update: I don't miss Consumers Distributing at all.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:28 AM

@Ryan G

The crowds are crazy, but there's something surreal and magical about a jam-packed Yonge Street at 3am. It's a remarkable buzz...

Consumers Distributing was amazing until they came back from the backroom to tell you the item you wanted was out of stock.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:29 AM

Ryan G

Well it looks like good 'ol American obnoxiousness (yes it's a word) has paid off for the fella who heckled Roy McIlroy at the Ryder Cup after missing a putt.

Giggle it.

*google

September 30, 2016 @ 9:44 AM

Lyle Lanley

Safe to say the WCOH didn't generate the expected buzz. Too many gimmicks and Canada's too strong.

Go Leafs Go.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

Lots of layoffs at The Toronto Star. 10 years ago they had 470 journalists. By the end of the year they'll be down to 170.

Rogers is also making big cuts to their magazines. Maclean's will be published monthly and Flare, Canadian Business, Sportsnet, and MoneySense are going online-only.

September 30, 2016 @ 11:18 AM

James Edgar

Didn't watch a second of the WHOC .

The Jays ? WTF happened? Still have a chance for the wild card according to 590 but at fenway against the red sox 3 best pitchers so not holding my breath. Disappointing after last year .

The price of a replacement chain for my Motorcycle has gone up almost $200 in two years. WTF???

September 30, 2016 @ 12:31 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Thought something was up with Macleans. U was constantly complaining that they were not sending issues, then I would receive 2 or 3 with the date of issue ahead of the current date.
I still receive the Globe and Star daily, as I just can't get into on line reading. Objective in depth reporting is going to suffer, and we will be stuck with the click through stories some sites are generating

Anecdotal, but I think Toronto and the GTA housing markets are basically being priced up as Vancouver was by foreign buyers, just no one wants to touch it.

September 30, 2016 @ 12:34 PM

Justin

Huge shame with the Rogers cuts, as well as the Canadian media cuts across the board. There's a very talented group of people who have been let go recently through no fault of their own. Senior managers and those in charge of the print industry showed a complete lack of foresight planning for the digital age. What's worse, they ignored the problem for too long just hoping it would go away. These newspapers will have to totally revamp their business model if they ever have a prayer of staying profitable. Unfortunately I expect more cuts in the near future.

September 30, 2016 @ 1:01 PM

@James Edgar

Thanks!

There's a day for everything....

September 30, 2016 @ 4:26 PM

steve w

I have one guess on who one of the two reporters might be that Blue Jay players are blackballing, and it's TorStar's, Richard Griffin.

He's been brutally honest with his reporting on the Jays, no puff pieces.
He's been very critical of various Jays, and rightfully so, more so while the payoffs spot continues to swirl around the bowl.

Can't imagine the players like the fact that he's writing it as he sees it.
Mighty refreshing journalism from Mr. Griffin.

I look forward to his columns, can only imagine where he will go if the Jays complete the choke job this season.

September 30, 2016 @ 5:16 PM

steve w

Nobody, and I mean nobody, should be surprised that Rogers is gutting it's publishing division.
At Rogers, it's "Profits before people!"

September 30, 2016 @ 5:21 PM

Rob J

Unbiased reporting of Toronto teams is not allowed. You'd think Griffin would have known that. Now he does.

September 30, 2016 @ 6:19 PM

dale

I've worked in printing for over 35 years. Printing - ink on paper in going the way of the dinosaur last few years. I rely on my job & love to see JUNK mail in my mail box. It's ink on paper & maybe my co. printed it.
I feel sorry for those who have taken courses in Graphic Comm. unless they expanded their opportunities. Journalism & broadcasting are both going the same route, downhill.

Don't complain when you get "junk mail at home from Cda. Post" as that's my job.
I need 5 more years & then good luck to those still in printing facilities.

It's gonna be a disaster at Rogers Media & TorStar overall very soon.

September 30, 2016 @ 7:46 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I hear you Dale, I need about 5-7 years until I can hang up my hat, and my industry is becoming globalised, and basically run by 2 large out of Canada corporations. Funny whatever happened to the Combines Investigation/Competition Act, which was suppose to watch companies did not get a monopoly in their industry. Definitely a toothless piece of legislation now.

Anyone else listen to the Rush on Newstalk 1010 with Ryan and Jay? I like Jay but never been a fan of Ryan Doyle, and this just sounds too much like a morning radio show. Wish Jim Richards had this slot.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:39 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. That's great. Great game for sure. Mark Trumbo hit his 47th homer. Three more homers until he reaches 50. I think he'll do it. If he hits two today and one tomorrow, he will do it and he will. Adam Jones and Jonathan Schoop also homered and Yovani Gallardo pitched a great game. Also my Diamondbacks won, but they won't make the playoffs. Paul Goldschmidt hit another home run. Well, they should win the last two anyway. Also my Indians won. That was also a great game. This pitcher, Ryan Merrit is really awesome. He should be in the rotation all the time. Francisco Lindor hit a home run so he has 15. Anyway, I am not last in my baseball pool, but second from last so I don't get to pick first, I get the second picks, but no picking until after the Wild Card games are finished. I hope I can pick Indians and Cubs or if my Orioles hang in there, Orioles and Cubs, but I really am liking the Indians as well though. I need to have a good football day tomorrow because I am losing that football pool. Anyway, my big microwave had a fire in it. I don't know what caused the fire, but that's why it stopped working. There was a fire in the microwave and it burned something. I'm so glad the fire didn't get out of the microwave. Well, the little one works for now, but apparently it is rusting in a corner meaning it could stop working any time, but who knows when. I hope it's not soon because I don't want to get a new one until there are sales on.

October 1, 2016 @ 5:43 AM

Justin

Finally tried Great Lakes Brewery beer yesterday after hearing about on your podcast all the time. Gotta admit - not a fan of the Pompous Ass. Too dry and way too heavy on the pine. If I were to try GLB again - does anyone have recommendations for one of their beers that's a bit lighter and not as dry?

October 1, 2016 @ 10:57 PM

headsup

If you are a baseball fan and not been under a rock for the past couple of weeks, you'll know that Vin Scully's final broadcast of his career airs tomorrow. He has been at the top of his game for sixty-seven seasons which is mind-blowing. I'm sure we've heard his famous calls like Gibson's homer in the 1988 World Series, or the infamous game 6 of the 1986 series. Recently I came across this link as it was something I was curious to hear for a number of years. Admitedly, we are bias to Tom Cheek's call of Joe's homer in '93, but Vin, working for CBS Radio, does not a bad job... Its pure Scully, and his own kind of genius, if you ask me.

October 2, 2016 @ 12:59 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Orioles lost again. They were winning, but they blew it big time, and Mark Trumbo didn't hit a home run. He has to hit three today if he wants to make it to 50. Manny Machado hit a home run though. Also my Diamondbacks won. Why are they winning now, but won't make the playoffs. Anyway, Indians won. That was a great thing. Anyway, I'm picking the Indians and Cubs for my playoff teams if Bill doesn't pick them first. He is in last place so I am second last so I don't get to pick first. I hope I do well in my football pool today.

October 2, 2016 @ 7:48 AM

Deheryl

Just plugged in the TV and their is a football game on already.Anyway i don't think it is fair some teams have to start playing early like 9:30 in the morning while others have to sit around all day and not start till 8:30 at night.anyway looks like Tina the Turkey is the fattest so she will be the star next sunday for thanks giving brunch.

October 2, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

@Justin

I'm not one for English Ales, either.

Try a Canuck Pale Ale.

October 2, 2016 @ 2:01 PM

Cheryl

My Ravens and Cardinals both lost as well as a lot of my other teams. That's no good. My Orioles did win and Matt Wieters hit a couple home runs, but nothing by Mark Trumbo so he is stuck at 47. My Diamondbacks won their last game, but no playoffs for them. My Indians won yesterday as well. That's great and Yan Gomes returns and hits a home run. My Indians play on Thursday. My Orioles play tomorrow. I just caught this thing. I'm sick. I was fine Saturday and yesterday morning, it hits me yesterday afternoon, bad cough. I can't talk, I can just whisper. It's awful. I can't afford to be sick so why did this have to hit me if all people.

October 3, 2016 @ 8:02 AM

Deheryl

I got my Budweiser light up glass in the mail today.
Really looking forward to it flashing every time The Toronto Maples score!
I feel fine.

October 3, 2016 @ 12:34 PM

b-dot

Try GLB - Blond lager. Very tasty

October 3, 2016 @ 4:28 PM

andrew

Tomorrow is make or break for BJays.
I'm not optimistic for going forward with Stroman.

Cheryl will be in heaven, hopefully NOT.

October 3, 2016 @ 8:37 PM

Broni

@ Justin
I like GLB's Red Leaf. It is the "least red" red I know. To me, it tastes milder than most.

October 3, 2016 @ 9:14 PM

Cheryl

Let's go Orioles. Please win. I really need this win. Anyway, my Indians play on Thursday. Anyway, I'm sick. I thought I was getting a little better, but my breathing sounds terrible. I hate this thing. I get flu shots every year. I'm going to get mine this year, but haven't gotten it yet. Anyway, I don't get sick very often. It just hit me. It's a very bad cold.

October 4, 2016 @ 7:49 AM

Cheryl

Well, I am livid. Boy, I'm livid. I slept through the game. I wasn't feeling well and still not feeling well. I slept through the game and woke up and my Orioles lost. It sucks. Apparently Buck Showalter used fricken Ubaldo to close the game out. He should have used Zach Britton. Anyway, playoff pool is done. I had a visit from Bill, Mike anhd John. Bill is away tomorrow and the weekend so we decided now agreeing that one person would get the Giants or Mets. Bill has the Jays and Cubs. I can't have the Cubs. Bill was last place in the pool so he was first pick. I got my Indians and Dodgers. John has the Rangers and Nationals. Mike has the Redsox and the Mets or Giants. I need to win this. Let's go Indians and don't let me down like my Orioles just did. Cleveland has good teams like the Cavs and Indians. The Browns stink. I have no idea why I picked them in the football pool.

October 5, 2016 @ 7:51 AM

@Cheryl

I wouldn't say Buck Showalter used Ubaldo to close the game, but that's exactly what happened. Leaving Britton on the bench was an awfully curious decision. I was sure we'd see him in the ninth.

I hope you feel better. There's room on the Jays bandwagon for you.

October 5, 2016 @ 8:31 AM

Barry

Join us, Cheryl. Love the Blue Jays and they will love you back.

October 5, 2016 @ 12:32 PM

Cheryl

I'm still feeling stuffed up with a cough. Who knows where I caught it from. Anyway, hope my Indians win tonight but because it doesn't start until after 8:00, I'll probably sleep through it. They play earlier tomorrow though and Sunday so the Ravens game should be over on Sunday before my Indians play. Buck should have used Britton, but he didn't. It was a bad game. Cavs are not too shabby either. They won last night a preseason game, so I think they will repeat this season. Maybe Cavs and Suns in the NBA finals.

October 6, 2016 @ 6:57 AM

Anonymous

@ Cheryl Baseball,Football,Basketball all in one paragraph.No Curling??

October 6, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

Johninoakville

What is happening with Mike Bullard and Newstalk 1010? He has been off air for over a week and he appears to be off the website. There was no mention of him today on his regular time.

October 6, 2016 @ 12:27 PM

Aunt Bee

@Johninoakville Best news I have heard all day. A Blue Jays win would be icing on the cake.

October 6, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

Dawn Keibals

Up large with 3 outs left..Talk about a slap right in the mouth of Texass
2 winz left..as long as they can avoid 3 stupid errors in one inning..
Good shape ...I think
Play .500 ball for 4 games...Goatta like..
And ALL BEST relievers don't throw a pitch THAT is HUGE !

October 6, 2016 @ 7:40 PM