Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

mrmojorisinca

So Canada Russia is Saturday night..
I hoped for North America to go through as they were fun to watch..but seeing this is suppose to be nation vs nation Russia is probably better to go through..

I've enjoyed the hockey that is for sure..

And Austin Matthews ..he can play :)

September 23, 2016 @ 9:14 AM

Barry

The Tigers have moved into the second wild card spot. There's almost no chance the Jays will win the east, but I would love to see a Jays-Tigers wild card game. It's a travesty that the teams aren't in the same division -- that was one of the great rivalries in the 80s.

I've got tickets to the wild card game if it's in Toronto, so I hope the Jays can hold on to the first WC spot.

September 23, 2016 @ 9:49 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles lost again. That is no good at all. Why can't they win. They had such a good first half of the year. My Diamondbacks didn't play last night. This weekend it's my Diamondbacks at my Orioles. Someone has to win. My Indians won though. That's great. Mike Clevinger pitched really well. Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana each hit homers. I am in last place in the pool so I will get first picks in the playoff pool and I will be picking Indians and Cubs. Indians will win the World Series. Of course they will do that. Football was not good last night. Patriots won again and I really hate them. Well, Texans or Patriots are not in my pool, but I hate the Patriots. My Ravens and Cardinals will win on Sunday.

September 23, 2016 @ 10:27 AM

Brian Carstairs

It is too bad there is only one Toronto Mike podcast per week, as I drive around the city or environs, stuck in traffic, I find it very informative to listen to the podcasts and hear from some of the people I have watched or listened to over the year's, and even relaxing sitting on the QEW
I too live in Etobicoke and love the references to my old "hood' and surroundings.

Glad that Team NA is not playing Team Canada as that could have been ugly in Canada's favour, as half the team will be on Team Canada sooner than later.
Leave Team USA alone, who cares it is not our issue! Only JVR plays here.

Steve Simmons might have thought his tweet about Joffrey Lupul was funny yesterday, but I find it disgusting to be having fun at a guy who is indeed injured and his career is in doubt, JL has had the injury jinx forever and he doesn't need to be buried by some opinionated, it was classless to be honest.

That's all, I might just post something every time Mike allows us, if I am not listening to a podcast.

GO CANADA GO!

September 23, 2016 @ 10:32 AM

The Voice of Reason

In a Liberal world only this makes sense.

"Gerald Butts and Katie Telford, senior staff in the Prime Minister's Office, said they will repay more than $65,000 in moving expenses." But remain key figures in the Liberal Party day to day operations.

No wonder each Canadian currently owes approximately $17,412.91 as their share of the Canadian national debt.

September 23, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

James Edgar

Happy Friday, tomorrow is my daughter Morgan's 12th birthday!

Already getting pretty independant her and her friends want to TTC home from school now. Instead of the school bus. The school bus that was pretty cool her first 3 weeks of using it.

Growing up WAY too fast for me.

September 23, 2016 @ 3:56 PM

@James Edgar

I have a daughter named Morgan!

I have a 12 year old daughter!

But they're two different people. 12 year old girls, I'm learning, are essentially young adults.

September 23, 2016 @ 4:00 PM

James Edgar

@VOR
"Conservative Bev Oda expenses a $16 dollar glass of orange juice and is pressured by the Liberals to resign for her "excessive" spending."

I do remember that and while i think there's a certain amount of Apples/Oranges in your comparison I have to agree that there is some double standard obtuseness going on with liberals.

Not that it hasn't always and not that conservatives are immune to this disease.

I do think that these advisers should be shuffled off the stage at this point , they certainly haven't shown good judgment and what use is an adviser with poor judgement?

September 23, 2016 @ 4:59 PM

We all have to get used to spelling it "Auston".

He's going to be a treat to watch. I can't wait.

September 23, 2016 @ 5:00 PM

James Edgar

@ Mike I knew that you had a Morgan and i knew you older daughter was around 12.

The "essentially young adults." part is what has me freaked out. Even though she is really level headed I know what teenage boys are like! And frankly i don't trust them!

September 23, 2016 @ 5:03 PM

@James Edgar

Just be glad she's level headed. That's key!

September 23, 2016 @ 5:07 PM

twins from bolton

We (including myself) as parents always treat our children with kid gloves.

Level headed means a lot. Hopefully stays on course. Peer pressure changes lifestyle as Mommy & Daddy are no longer the influence as other outside situations could possibly infleunce overall.

We as parents have to realize that happens all the time. Vices & Habits will occur, much to a parents chagrin but that is part of a persons growing up. Learn by experience & hopefully make the right decision going forward. Smoke, drink, pot, sex will happen in time & we realize that would happen eventually. Of course my twins in mid teens tried to hide their "times doing this stuff", we knew & saw when it happened & we didn't say anything. It's all about maturing on their own. We all did it ourselves. My son or daughter will NEVER do this or that, they are the kids that will be more to get into situations overall.
Put a nip in the bud, discuss. When it happens it's a lesson to be learned. WE have all been there & done that.
It's all a part of growing up & maturing from vices & habits. Hopefully they learn. Some do & some don't. Parental responsibility.

September 23, 2016 @ 9:46 PM

Blind Dave

Absolutely pissing down and cold on the Prairies this weekend. I want an Indian Summer because the winter prediction is rather grim.

I was blown away by the Dave Hodge podcast, and at the 60 minute mark, the Anne M. pod is top notch as well. I still have to listen to Liza Fromer and one other -- can't recall off the top of my head.

Congrats on the Terry Fox run, Mike. I'm proud of your family for participating. A cause near and dear to my heart, as it is (sadly) for may others.

September 23, 2016 @ 10:37 PM

Cheryl

Well, great comeback win by the Orioles. I hope they get the wild card. It's too bad they can't be in first anymore, but they blew their chances. They beat my Diamondbacks though. Mark Trumbo hits number 44. Pedro Alvarez and Matt Wieters also homered. They need to win the rest of their games. How about those Indians. They were losing at first, but then won. Jose Ramirez homered. Mike Napoli got RBI number 100. Awesome. Indians are going to beat Cubs in the World Series. Now that my Orioles blew it. I'm in last place in the pool so instead of money, I get first picks. I'm picking Indians and Cubs. I found out how to stop Bell from sending me junk mail. There is a form to fill out to get them to not send any and I did it so no more junk mail from Bell. I hate Bell anyway. I did have them a long time ago, but never again. It's Primus forever.

September 24, 2016 @ 5:36 AM

stephen

Received a survey from Sportsnet590 in my email yesterday.
They are requesting feedback on their shows & their hosts.

So my first comment is, fire the program director, Dave Cadeau. He should not be tasked with the responsibility of even turning a radio on, let alone programming sports radio!

Then hire a replacement who can appreciate and respect the fact that 590 airs in Canada's biggest radio market where there's more than 2 pro sports teams.

I've essentially trashed every show and host except Blair (9-11), Baseball Central (11-12) and Andrew Walker (1-4). As a matter of clarity, both Blair & Walker have some shortcomings, but they tend to hit the mark for local content more than they miss. But there's room for improvement for both - ie, more guests not employed by Rogers!

I've asked for a new morning show, start from scratch. Blundell is horrible, unlistenable.
Suggested more Brunt, but split his time between Blair & Walker.
Requested new hosts for Hockey Central, anyone but: Kypreos, MacLean, Millard AND Shannon.
Suggested they end the charade that is PTS and dump McCown. Just get it over with, and Mccown's even admitted he's bored, and it shows - the show is garbage. He's getting paid to go through the motions, and BTW, that's a great gig if you can get it, but it makes for terrible radio.

I've also suggested that with Rogers' resources, there's no reason why Sportsnet can't syndicate the morning show, the PM drive and the evening shows.

Go get the top talent, enough with converting writers to talking heads - there's a reason why they write, they can't talk. And enough with the talking heads, without a script they're lost - ie Reid, Blundell, Scollari/Vendetta.

Hire people with solid voices, some personality, who know sports, who can articulate thoughts and ideas without having to hide behind a script or phony contrarian viewpoints ie hire John Gallagher, Mark Hebscher, Dan Shulman, Suneel Joshi, Strombo, Brian Williams....

September 24, 2016 @ 12:32 PM

Rob J

TM, I'd love to read a Vin Scully retrospective blog-post from a Jays fan's perspective.

September 24, 2016 @ 3:51 PM

Anonymous

@ stephen Great post well thought out.

"Stop recycling Cox, Ennis, Grange, Reid, Riccio, Rusic, Shannon, Wong...... enough of the garbage-in garbage-out sports programing.

Got to remember those bodies work CHEAP and the bottom line is rogers is cheap !

September 24, 2016 @ 4:14 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. They won again. It's wild card. Mark Trumbo hits number 45. Will he get to 50 by the end of the season. Hope so. My Indians lost. that was not a good game at all. They had to use the bullpen as they are short a couple starters. Anyway, hope they win today. I added up the pool and looks like I moved up to second last meaning that I will not get first picks for the playoff pool. I will get second picks. I guess that's okay. Anyway, football day today. I want my Ravens and Cardinals to win and everyone else in my pool to win.

September 25, 2016 @ 6:05 AM

Cheryl

Well, another Orioles win. That's great. They did sweep my Diamondbacks. Anyway, my Indians not so good. They got shut out so they can't clinch. Football is good for my Ravens. They are 3 and 0 in first place. My Ravens are the best. My pool isn't so good though with my Cardinals losing to the bills. Vikings beat the Panthers which is not good for my pool. Dolphins beat the Browns, Colts beat the Chargers, Chiefs beat the Jets and Packers beat the Lions but I have all those teams in my pool. Eagles beat the Steelers which is good for me. Rams and Bucks and Giants and Redskins are all not in my pool. Seahawks won which is good for my pool. Broncos beat Bengals and those are not my teams, but wanted the Bengals to lose. Cowboys won which is good for my pool. I need the Saints to win tonight so go Saints.

September 26, 2016 @ 7:27 AM

Cheryl

My Indians clinched. This is great. They clinched. Homers by Coco Crisp as well as Roberto Perez. Anyway, Corey Kluber didn't win that game though, Andrew Miller did, but that's okay. My Diamondbacks also won with homers galore by Jean Sigura, Yasmani Tomas and Jake Lam. Wonderful. Too bad they won't make the playoffs. My Orioles were off last night. Well, the Saints lost and that is not good for my pool. That is no good. Anyway, I forgot to say that the Titans also lost on Sunday and that's not good for my pool either.

September 27, 2016 @ 7:37 AM

Deheryl

Anyway just got the results from the weekend NFL games.went 16 and O once again.
Duck hunting league tonight just after sundown,I hope i win,i need to win

September 28, 2016 @ 6:41 AM

Cheryl

I don't really want to talk about baseball. My Orioles lost. This was no good at all, it sucked. My Diamondbacks lost. My Indians lost. It all sucks. Anyway, I got another stupid Rogers thing. They promised they wouldn't send me anymore stuff. I got a bill for $0.00. If I don't owe them anything, why in the hell are they sending me a stupid bill? I don't know. I know that I really hate Rogers and Bell. I will never like either one of these companies.

September 28, 2016 @ 8:09 AM

Rob J

TM, hope you catch the Blue Jays' shout-out on this week's "Talking Simpsons".

September 28, 2016 @ 2:39 PM

dale

44 years ago today - Sept. 28/72 two major occurrences happened in my life.

# 1 Our family got it's 1st colour TV delivered by Eatons early morning that day.

# 2 Paul Henderson scores to beat Russia in the 1st Summit series. I was in grade 10 & everyone wanted to watch during school. Tv's were set up in different locations throughout the school. I watched 1st period at school & literally ran home (probably close to 8 kms) just make to watch in colour.

1 of the top 3 or 4 sporting moments ever in my lifetime.

September 28, 2016 @ 6:32 PM

Cheryl

How about those Orioles. That's great, a comeback win and number 46 for Mark Trumbo. He will have 50 before the season ends. My Orioles can do it and they will. My Diamondbacks also won. It's too bad they won't make the playoffs though. I don't want to talk about my Indians. They lost. They had a 1 to 0 lead and then got rain delayed and still lost after they played again. Also my microwave died last night. It doesn't work anymore. I thought I had it for less than a year, but I didn't. I got it in February 2015 but it should have lasted longer. I have an older smaller one but it is not hooked up. My trainer will have to help me hook it up when he comes. I hope it still works.

September 29, 2016 @ 6:24 AM

@Rob J

I listened to the most recent episode tonight on my ride. Nice! Especially when you know how little these guys know about sports.

September 29, 2016 @ 8:36 PM