Four Images You'll Only Get If You're Canadian

We're a couple of weeks removed from the final Tragically Hip show in Kingston and I'm still digesting it all. Certain images are etched in my psyche and keep pushing their way to the forefront. One such image is Gord Downie in his Jaws t-shirt.

gord

Gord wore that t-shirt throughout the tour. When I saw it during the Toronto show I attended, I started wondering about the symbolism. There's no way that's a random choice of shirt, our poet laureate was saying something.

The Dark Canuck refrerences Jaws.

In the clouds of blood at the end of Jaws
In the misted cars honking their applause
At the drive-in double feature
At the heart of dark enough
It's Jaws and The Dark Canuck
Should we stay for The Dark Canuck?

Then, there's the obivious. The shark is Gord's cancer and the swimmer is Gord. He can keep swimming, but the shark is looming, preparing to pounce. It's only a matter of time...

I've decided I need to buy a Jaws t-shirt, exactly like the one Gord wore. I'd rather buy one in person than online, so if you know a place in Toronto that's selling these shirts without charging an arm and a leg, let me know.

Because I was in Cape Breton during the final Hip concert, I only recently saw Michael de Adder's "For Canadian eyes only" cartoon for the Toronto Star. It's fantastic.

4-images

One of the four iconic images de Adder chose was Terry Fox running in his Marathon of Hope. I'll be running for Terry later this month and would be honoured if you'd pledge my run. Here's the link: http://www.terryfox.ca/torontomike

This shark, swallow you whole.

Blind Dave

We have a fourth icon.

Two make me happy. Two make me sad.

May Gord find his miracle.

September 5, 2016 @ 10:54 PM

Nick

Mike touched on what the bottom images are, top right is summit series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paul_Henderson_1972.jpg

I haven't the fondest idea of what the top left is.

September 5, 2016 @ 11:42 PM

Anonymous

Top left is from the tv show The Friendly Giant. It took me a few moments to recall it. Initial thought was Mr. Dressup. It's an odd one to include, imo.

September 6, 2016 @ 12:34 AM

Anonymous

Wondering if there is a CBC connection to all these pics?

September 6, 2016 @ 12:40 AM

James Edgar

I NEED one of those shirts as well.

September 6, 2016 @ 11:01 AM

I suppose The Friendly Giant is a generational thing. Young folks won't get the reference.

It was one of my favourite shows: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/11/unfriendly_giant_puppet_withdr.html

September 6, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

Handsome Rob

I'm assuming you missed it being away, but The H&F podcast the day after the final concert was excellent. Really great perspective from both a fan and non-fan. Great hour+

Sadly I knew what all 4 images were. 3 by memory, one because I'm Canadian.

September 6, 2016 @ 4:36 PM

Davis Givan

Thank you for sharing this image.

At the drive in double feature we saw that Terry's gift is forever green, so you better call Rusty, cause if there's a goal that everyone remembers, it was back in ol' '72.

May 28, 2018 @ 12:24 AM