Gene Wilder, Dead at 83

Gene WilderGene Wilder was 83. He was the comic actor who starred in The Producers, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Barry

I always liked Gene Wilder. Blazing Saddles, Silver Streak, Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, and Young Frankenstein were staples as I was growing up.

I remember seeing him interviewed not long after Gilda Radner died and I was struck by the way he smiled as he talked about her, even though he was clearly still grieving. He just loved talking about her. He always came across as a warm and likable guy. It's a shame he stopped making movies for the last couple of decades of his life, but his body of work is something to treasure.

August 29, 2016 @ 4:34 PM

Douglas

Well-said, Barry. I have nothing to add to that.

August 29, 2016 @ 4:39 PM

Alan

One of the truly great comedic actors. He was fantastic in the movies Barry mentioned, but one scene that cracked me up to no end years ago was him playing the shrink in love with his sheep in Woody Allen's "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex".

August 29, 2016 @ 4:51 PM

Rick C in Oakville

One very funny man, Blazing Saddles infantile fart scene always brought out the 10 year old kid in me.

August 29, 2016 @ 8:47 PM

mrmojorisinca

hear no evil see no evil was pretty hilarious movie

August 30, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

Ryan G

Agree with all of you, and I recall his performance in WW being simply magical - aside from the comedy and fantasy, he gave the character a dark underbelly which permeated into the larger film.

On a similar note, Barry what's-his-face from the Jays broadcasts was interviewing one of our pitcher's during pre game yesterday. Can't recall his name but he seemed like a bit of an irreverent fun guy, but I hope Jays' media minders gave him a tip post interview. He was talking about a game he played the other day, and that it was an emotional experience, but mostly because Gene Wilder died. He said it sarcastically though, as if to say "who the hell is Gene Wilder?".

Bit of a mis- step there.

August 31, 2016 @ 9:35 AM

@Ryan G

Barry Davis!

Do you remember which player made the Wilder comment?

Wilder is a guy you may not appreciate if you're under 30, that's for sure. He's been out of the limelight for so long, and kids today don't seem to go back and revisit the classics like we did. At least most don't.

August 31, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike - no - it's the guy who always warms up without using a ball as part of a pre game ritual.

I realize these are all young guys, but you've gotta think every single MLB player has to undergo basic media training before they join the big-league team. I know I know..their youth combined with the stage they're on means they'll sometimes say something stupid, and it's no huge deal at the end of the day, but little things like that could irk the thousands of people in the Jays fanbase who are older than 30 and do have fond memories of Wilder. And, if this guy turns out to be a superstar, it could affect sponsorship deals and the like.

August 31, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

@Ryan G

If he had said that about Bowie there's be massive outrage!

August 31, 2016 @ 9:56 AM

Derek

I picture Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle reunited on stage in Heaven, singing....

PUTTIN' ON THE REEEEETZZZ!

Gene Wilder was also pretty funny in the original version of "The Producers" alongside Zero Mostal.

A great loss.

D

August 31, 2016 @ 10:02 AM

Barry

The player who made the Wilder comment was Joe Biagini. He tries to say off-beat things for laughs and spent that entire interview doing that sort of thing to limited effect. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Wilder comment.

August 31, 2016 @ 11:45 AM

anon

That Stir Crazy movie with him & Pryor was a blast. Especially when Pryor was teaching him how to act black. Those 2 were very funny funny guys. Just looking at Wilder made u laugh.

& u see how these guys go out, with grace, class, dignity & no PRESS unlike Downie who drew all the attention to himself & all the Canadians bought into it, even the look-at-me PM.

September 3, 2016 @ 1:14 PM