The Tenors Anthem Modification Doubly Offensive

As a kid, I loved the MLB All-Star Game. As an adult, I can take it or leave it. Tonight, I decided to take it.

The Canadian national anthem was performed by The Tenors. I must admit, the whole tenor thing confuses me. I don't know if these are the original Tenors, the Canadian Tenors, or what. At this point, I feel bad for all Tenors everywhere who will be confused with the quartet I saw tonight.

You see, they wanted to make a racist statement, and they decided O Canada was the place to do it. They decided to alter the anthem's lyrics from "with glowing hearts we see thee rise/the True North strong and free" to "we're all brothers and sisters/all lives matter to the brave."

Seriously, they thought it was a good idea insert a terribly gross message into our national anthem. Here's footage:

This is really, really offensive. The "all lives matter" message truly pisses me off the way "straight pride parades", "white history month" and "men's day" advocates piss me off. The "all lives matter" statement has nothing to do with all lives mattering and everything to do with white lives mattering. Give me a break.

Of course, The Tenors are entitled to such an opinion, but how offensive is it to all Canadians that they'd insert it into O Canada? I'm still shocked it happened...

GUNTer

couldn't agree more. don't fuck with the national anthem of ANY country you morons. wow.
have any opinion you want but don't insert it willy nilly into the NATIONAL ANTHEM.
so disrespectful.

July 12, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

chris

VERY disrespectful. Ashamed, especially from singers from Canada.

This may be worse than when the Canadian Flag was flown upside down during a Baseball game years ago.

July 12, 2016 @ 9:38 PM

argie

The outrage machine is off the charts tonight. People are even using the F word. Oh my.

July 12, 2016 @ 9:44 PM

Irv

I'll say one thing. The left headlight is burned out on my car. I intend to replace it on Friday when I get my oil changed. I have almost zero concern that I'll be pulled over & some cop will unload his Glock 22 or SIG Sauer P229 in my chest.

July 12, 2016 @ 9:53 PM

JasonL

There are people who make that statement out of ignorance as well. They mean well but don't grasp the message of Black Lives Matter. I sure hope they're in the stupidity group rather than the racist assholes. Nonetheless this was appalling.

July 12, 2016 @ 10:02 PM

@Argie

This is like me and Argie debating online. And I let Argie go first.

July 12, 2016 @ 10:14 PM

Sid_V

Well, that was quick. MLB and The Tenors have apologized and blamed a "lone wolf Tenor", who has now been booted from the group. A quick browse of the lone wolf's Facebook page reveals a wingnut flat earther who probably just punted away the best gig he will ever have.

I am definitely confused as to why the other United Tenors stopped singing while solitarius lupus delivered his little protest, though.

July 12, 2016 @ 11:31 PM

markosaar

It was a shitty thing for the guy to do, and I denounced it myself on Facebook. I wanted to use it as a teachable moment as to why "all lives matter" is an asinine statement as I had seen it pop up still, even amongst friends/acquaintances.

Ironically I think Mr. Tenor did that for me, and effectively has now made the exact opposite statement he intended.

I agree with argie though that at a certain point the outrage is too much. Dude fucked up BAD and everyone knows it already. Maybe we should move on (relatively) quickly and forget this embarrassment.

It's important the lesson isn't forgotten either so...hopefully there's a balance in there somewhere.

July 13, 2016 @ 7:04 AM

Kirk,Lars,et al

Can't we all agree Metallica had it right when they told us Nothing Else Matters.

July 13, 2016 @ 7:36 AM

Hans

The outrage machine is in full motion now as the Tenors have completely tossed the guy under the bus saying he was a "lone wolf tenor" and distancing the rest of the group from him.

Question - had he not changed the lyrics and just held up a little "all lives matter" sign when the camera panned by him while singing would anyone have batted an eye?

July 13, 2016 @ 8:17 AM

Cheryl

Agree. Why change the words That's even worse than putting the word God in Oh Canada.

July 13, 2016 @ 8:20 AM

@Hans

That would be a far lesser controversy, but eyes would be batted.

July 13, 2016 @ 8:30 AM

The Voice of Reason

I call it genius. I do not agree with the changing of the Lyrics, but this kind of advertising money cannot buy. The "Tenors" released a statement that the rogue member will not be preforming with them "for a while". They have only FOUR shows remaining until the end of the year. I am sure this stunt will now fill their calendar with dates.

July 13, 2016 @ 10:11 AM

Irv

Sure, the whole manufactured controversy works. It's like someone making a controversial tweet & then quickly retracting it knowing someone who hates their opinion will publicize it. Of course it was all planned out.

But where does it take us? Calgary's Amp Radio is a station which uses such tactics. It gave away a breast job. It said it was going to cut the length of songs to 2 minutes. It was going to burn a stack of money if people asked it too (and it did). And it attracted a lot of attention. In the end the ratings have faltered. It didn't work.

How to create a memorable national anthem during a sports event. Cuz if you lived in Edmonton at this time you remember it today

July 13, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Irv

Lets review the topic in a few weeks. If The "Tenors" somehow manage to gain a plethora of new shows, it will make this "manufactured controversy" worth it to them.

At the end of the day, money drives us all.

July 13, 2016 @ 10:42 AM

@VoR

Sure money drives us all but at the risk of sounding like some Jesus type, shouldn't we have some integrity and take the high road? How long until society just tunes out and plays Pokemon Go (what the fuck is this about anyway if anyone knows). I've always figured that in the long run quality & integrity usually win.

I agree with you, it will work, it's just too bad we're at this point in the dumpster that is modern humanity. We're devolving into fucking animals.

July 13, 2016 @ 11:49 AM

Barry

Plenty of good reasons to be outraged, but lost in the shuffle is the fact that the line he inserted didn't rhyme with anything.

Good god, has he no shame?

July 13, 2016 @ 12:02 PM

offended

I'm offended that so many people are offended at everything they don't agree with 100%. I'm also offended that these offended people assume their rights trump all & they can rage whenever\wherever they choose with zero regards to the rights of others.

Chill people. Everyone needs to tone everything down several notches.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:11 PM

Barry

@ offended

Whose rights have been compromised, and what, specifically, are the "rights" you are referring to?

July 13, 2016 @ 12:14 PM

Argie

If this "rogue" tenor had inserted pro-BLM lyrics instead we all know the outrage would have been way less - as in almost nothing. Sure, conservatives like myself and VOR would have complained of this wanker changing the lyrics but the shear outrage (filled with hysteria, F-words and death threats) would not have happened.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

markosaar

Argue, I think you greatly underestimate the average Canadian's reverence for the national anthem.

But I guess we'll never know since this is how it has played out.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:21 PM

Barry

And also vastly overestimating how conservatives would react. It's highly elitist -- and utter nonsense -- to say "conservatives would have behaved better than those darn liberals." Hogwash. Get over yourself.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:29 PM

Argie

@Barry
No its true. Name the last great conservative outrage? I'm not referring to outrage at a crooked liberal politician but something some celebrity or singer said or sung.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:36 PM

The Voice of Reason

I recall Roger Doucet changing the lyrics before Montreal games in the 80's. I did not ever hear a complaint and he did it weekly live on national TV.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:39 PM

@Argie,

Oh I doubt that. Had pro BLM content been inserted there would have been LOUDER screams. The right tends to be one of the more vocal group of whiners out there.

I've always found it perplexing how you assume that the "left" are the whiners & complainers. The right are as well. In fact in some cases these loud right wing radicals are actually government informants. The shrill extremism offer is like a porch light to a bug for those who "believe". A well known Twitter troll known for his extreme right wing views was recently outed as an informant.

The BEST way to collect intelligence on those with radical views is to investigate those who follow the "leaders" of the movement. It works on both sides too. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Radical people implicitly trust radical "spokespeople" like Christians believe Jesus will save them.

The national anthem should be left as it is. It's not something you bastardize for your own agenda.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:45 PM

Barry

Get the blinders off @Argie, and look at what we're actually talking about RIGHT NOW.

All Lives Matter IS conservative outrage. You don't think it is, perhaps because you're okay with All Lives Matter. But the hard fact is that All Lives Matter is conservatives telling black people to shut up and stop complaining about getting killed. All Lives Matter is conservatives trying to pretend there is no problem.

But conservatives don't see that as outrage, because they think they're right. No one sees it something as outrage if they think they're right.

Donald Trump is conservative outrage. Fox News is conservative outrage. Sun TV was conservative outrage.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:53 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

"The Tenors are deeply sorry for the disrespectful and misguided lack of judgement by one member of the group acting as a "lone wolf" today during........."

It appears the other three members of the boy band recognized this as a somewhat considerable (read career ending) error and had their apology out the door on twitter before the 7th inning stretch.

Remigio may have also erred on the level of his celebrity-hood. A-listers can get away with this sort of stupidity, but a relatively unknown Canadian Tenor will see his already limited opportunities evaporate like a popsicle on a hot Toronto sidewalk. He can now look forward to a life of YouTube fame where every a-hole on the planet will walk up to him and ask, "Hey, aren't you that tenor guy that......".
We all make mistakes in life but he pick a very large and impressive venue to make his. And to this I smile and say, "what a putz!"

And to the hive mind, is there such a thing as respectful and guided lack of judgement?

July 13, 2016 @ 12:57 PM

Argie

@Barry
I guess you can't. Have an outrage-less day.

July 13, 2016 @ 12:58 PM

Barry

As long as I don't have to deal with racists, it will be. But I'm comfortable owning my outrage over racism.

July 13, 2016 @ 1:07 PM

Barry

Also, I agree with those who feel anthems should be done away with at sporting events, except at international events. For the average MLB game? It's pointless.

But try getting the US to drop anthems. As it is, MLB is trending in the opposite direction, having added patriotic songs (God Bless America for Sunday and major games, and all Yankees games). We're stuck with anthems for our lifetimes.

July 13, 2016 @ 1:13 PM

Barry

@Sid_V

The singers don't actually stop singing at that point -- they're doing background vocals (non-verbal). If you can find a clip of the full anthem, each tenor gets a "solo" where he is the lead while the others do non-verbal background. This guy, of course, used his solo for his political statement.

July 13, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

Barry 2
Argie 0

@Nigel: Can there be a respectful & guided lack of judgement. Sure. I don't believe there is always malicious intent behind everything. Look at men. A man who is interested in a woman might repeatedly approach a woman for a date. He may see his actions as confident. The women..well she might see them as invasive & threatening. Really they both simply don't understand how the other person might view their message.

As for a guy who changes the anthem at a sporting event. Well it's kinda hard to defend that shit. It's like making a sexist joke in a boardroom full of women. Dude exhibited a lack of common sense. But on the flip side, I find some of the outrage over the top. The fucking internet is a lynch mob now. It is relentless & if it comes for you it's bringing a shit kicking.

But the whole lynch mob mentality of the internet comes, in part, because of the manufactured controversy stuff that's too common. All too often "mistakes" aren't mistakes. So society has no trust or faith in anyone. You can't say your sorry anymore because it doesn't help.

July 13, 2016 @ 1:31 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Nigel

Can you please proof read?

July 13, 2016 @ 1:54 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@VOR
u picked up on that huh? Saw it after it was posted. TO mike should have an edit function on here for those of us less-grammatically inclined and/or the spelling challenged.

"Nigel Trousershrapnel is deeply sorry for the disrespectful and misguided lack of judgement displayed on this blog today. I acted as a "lone wolf" and my spelling errors are in no way indicative of the spelling and grammatical talents of those who frequent this site. My sincere apologies and regrets go out to everyone who witnessed this shameful act."

Too much?

July 13, 2016 @ 2:15 PM

Nigel

To edit things we'd have to have accounts which would mean more overhead for Toronto Mike.

I take offense to your use of the term "lone wolf". This term is used to describe an individual who rides motorcycles who is not affiliated with a formalized club (1% or not). Your statement implies that all "Lone Wolf" types are irrational & prone to not having common sense. It denigrates bikers. Further, I take issue with myself for using the term denigrate because it's actually a word that originally implied black was bad.

I'm so outraged I think I'll go make some lunch. Fuck it, I'mma Rage quit this blog.

July 13, 2016 @ 2:27 PM

Argie

@Barry
So in your little world I'm a racist because I don't understand why people like you are so bent out of shape after a singer has the nerve to sing "all lives matter". Somehow that's an indictment and a racist statement against a group that has preached hate, exclusion and participated and influenced violent behavior at so-called "peaceful" protests. OK, man.

What this world needs are more MLKs and no more Malcolm Xs.

July 13, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

Barry

No, quite clearly, I was referring to the singer as racist. You and I never discussed "race," so why on earth would I be calling you racist? We only discussed "outrage," and that "outrage" was framed by you as "outrage" towards the singer.

Try to follow along. It shouldn't be that hard.

It ain't all about you, sport.

But nice try at playing the victim. Love the outrage.

July 13, 2016 @ 3:04 PM

Irv

I took the time to look up this "all lives matter" tenor guy on social media. He comes across as a mix of hard core "Jesus lover" mixed in with Birkenstock wearing vegan hippy type.

One of his posts. After reading it I find it hard to imagine this whack job had malicious intentions.

The world will soon realize the lies and the deception put before us all when we one day awaken to a new state of being. A state of being held hostage by the same elite corporations and military industrial complex that told us they had our best interests at heart. Greed and fear is their opium of choice and they administer it to us to destroy our ability to think for ourselves. Our minds are being manipulated and destroyed via GMO poisonous foods, chemical spraying of our skies, a state of fear induced by their media, and lastly by force... as we see happening now. People, friends, sentient beings, become the image you were made from....become being that The Great Being taught us to be. Love is the only way to create life, it is the only way to abolish hate and instil peace. Many have died in the name of Love and Peace and Health. Pray for peace, love one another and stop the hate that enables them to succeed at enslaving us all. Don't believe those geared to push an agenda, of which we are not a part of, do you own research! They don't care about us, they care about profit margins that keep us marginalized. Your son, your daughter, your your brothers and sisters, family and friends are simply numbers to be crunched in their world. Our birth certificate is a claim of ownership by those who believe they have the right to enslave you. Remember who you are, you are part of creation, you belong here, you are all significant to the Great One and here for a purpose, of being. We are all children of God and no man has come close to recreate God's creation. We were born to enjoy a life of love and peace enjoying the creation before us. Do good unto others. ~remi

July 13, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

Barry

@ Irv

And that's one of the posts he didn't delete. Apparently there were some on BLM and race that were bad. I only saw one, in which he was suggesting a conspiracy theory behind a recorded police shooting of a black person. I'm sure someone has reposted some of the deleted tweets somewhere.

But yeah, the stuff still there runs the gamut of conspiracy theory stuff. Conspiracy theorists are an interesting lot. We paint them out as idiots, but data shows that conspiracy theorists are actually no more or less intelligent than the rest of the population. Where they differ is that they have higher levels of paranoia. We all have paranoid thoughts ... they just tend to have more of them.

July 13, 2016 @ 3:18 PM

Argie

@Barry
Either way, you and many others spent way too much energy on this issue. The guy made a political statement. No one is asking you to agree with him on it.

I feel that no one should be messing with the lyrics of a national anthem but then that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ya see, I made my comment without any personal insults. Its a shame you couldn't do the same?

July 13, 2016 @ 3:25 PM

Barry

No one is asking me to agree with him, but does that mean I shouldn't disagree? Of course not. I am disagreeing with him. It's his right to express his belief and it's my right to express my disagreement. I'm not sure what your point is. I never said I was being asked to agree with him.

And please get off your high-horse. You've made plenty of blanket statements about how much you think conservatives are superior people to liberals. Don't pretend you didn't do that to make digs.

July 13, 2016 @ 3:30 PM

Irv

Well he did have one where he is sure there are clouds behind the setting sun. And I noticed there was some debate about whether or not the earth was flat. Someone had posted a photo of Toronto's skyline across Lake Ontario showing clearly the earth was flat....

As for conspiracy theorists they are paranoid or perhaps just contrarians. And sometimes they put forth very valid arguments on what they believe in. Take the Orlando shooting. The police & media told us that the shooter was using an AR15. He was actually using a SIG MCX. It's a variant of the M4 which is the official rifle of the US Army (Canada uses the C8). And there were questions why it lasted 3 hours. And why the club apparently had no CCTV. And how they knew so quickly that ISIS took credit for it (ignoring ISIS would take credit for any type of slaughter). In fact there was a lot of conflicting information. That type of stuff is what makes people into conspiracy theorists.

They people that really scare me are those who buy into the words of politicians or big corporations as the gospel truth.

Anyway, I think the best way to sum up this guy is that he is "bat shit crazy".

July 13, 2016 @ 3:37 PM

@Argie

Over the years at this site I've seen how passionate you are on some topics. I definitely know how you feel about Muslims. I've confirmed with Canadian Armed Forces that the maximum age for new recruits is 57.

As you believe passionately in defending your country, here is the contact information to enlist in the CAF Reserves. Put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise well.....

Army Reserve Units (part-time)
THE QUEEN'S YORK RANGERS, A SQUADRON (1ST AMERICAN REGIMENT) (ROYAL CANADIAN ARMOURED CORPS)
138 Lamont Street
Aurora, Ontario
L4G 1V7
32cbgrecruiting@forces.gc.ca

July 13, 2016 @ 9:22 PM

Usockem

If I cared, I'd want to hear what this guy has to say about the message that he was trying to convey. I suspect that he had no idea of the political implications behind "All Lives Matter". I suspect that he meant it as a positive message. Regardless, he was way out of line. Tommy Smith and John Carlos he is not.

July 13, 2016 @ 9:58 PM

the brother

Some things are sacred and indeed the anthem is one of them. This guy should be charged by the RCMP upon reentry to Canada. Is it an exaggeration to say this borderline 'act of terror' if as an ambassador you jeopardize your own country's identity and perception? He might as well have burned our flag right in the middle of the field.

July 13, 2016 @ 11:42 PM

Argie

@Irv
Army reserve? What's that got to do with anything here? I was just commenting on the massive outrage of over this minor thing. I have nothing against muslims - its terrorists I have a problem with. Sorry for that, no not sorry.

This is why I've reduced commenting here. It just becomes a gong show - especially when Irv gets involved.

July 14, 2016 @ 9:35 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Argie

Keep up the posting, people with their OWN agendas will only see what their limitations allow them to see.
I have read many of your posts, I cannot once recall where you had a bias against "Muslims". As free Canadians we should all despise what "terrorism" has done to us.

July 14, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

Sid_V

@Usockem, you are absolutely correct. Lone Wolf though that "All lives matter" would be received as a message of peace, and he was oblivious to the way it would be received in the current political environment. Listen to his audio response and you hear a confused simple vegan flat-earther who thought he was spreading a message of universal acceptance, not fanning the flames of divisiveness that are consuming US politics. I almost feel sorry for the guy, he sounds so confused...

July 14, 2016 @ 10:36 AM

Irv

oh, and WATCH Mr Robot. It's fucking awesome.

./outie.

July 14, 2016 @ 11:24 PM

Irv

Amber Alert over. No it wasn't too loud to interrupt your life.

5 year old girl found deceased. My sympathies to the family, the first responders and the police. Only monsters kill children.

Stand up for what is right. even if you stand alone.

July 14, 2016 @ 11:42 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@VOR
Spell-checked prior to posting

July 15, 2016 @ 7:59 AM

Tron

All lives matter seems to start from the anti Black Lives Matter to kind of undermine what happening to black people by saying "stop complaining we all matter" by completely forgetting that it started because it started because there an abmormal amount of deathes against black people and felt that their lives aren't being as respected as others.

Now I am not saying that everybody who says "All lives matter" feel like this now, A lot of people use that term with the best intentions, unfortuatlely because of how it started and the perception of a backhanded slogan towards BLM a lot of people view All LIves negatively.

I do think the singer thought it was a great unifying gesture, and was probably surprised by the backlash. I am surprsie by the extreme backlash as well, I have seen All Lives mentioned before but mostly the response is an eyeroll especially from somebody who seems to have the good intenstions of saying it. Seeing a very strong backlash was a bit of a surprise.

As for Argie saying the reaction would be differnt if he said BLM. I agree and disagree. I fully expect RWers and talk radio and the Suns of the world would go ape shit about it. But I do think there would be some that would respect the protest, because BLM is actually a legit protest (if you agree with it or not) of not wanting government authorities like being trigger happy against black people. Kind of like when Delgado protested the Iraq invasion, it was risky of him, but he's protesting against a war he thinks is unjust. All lives matter at best is a vague "feel good" phrase, and at worst it a way to try to distract and silence the situation concerning black deaths.

July 15, 2016 @ 12:51 PM