Patreon: Beggars Banquet

Back in December, I launched a Patreon campaign for Toronto Mike'd. Toronto Mike'd, the podcast I started four years ago, is 185 episodes deep, and has incurred a number of expenses over the years. This Patreon campaign is one way of helping to recoup such costs.

The problem is, whenever it's time to promote this Patreon campaign on the podcast, I cringe. It feels very, very uncomfortable, and more often than not, I skip it completely. It feels like begging for money, and I don't like that feeling.

I listen to other podcasts that celebrate their Patreon campaign with glee. I'm sure this is one reason they're raising more funds than my underperforming campaign. I suck at this aspect of hosting an independent podcast.

A huge thank you to those of you who have helped crowdfund this podcast thus far. I even had one gentleman ask me if he could email me money instead of using Patreon. The answer, of course, was yes.

To the rest of you, all I ask is that you visit my Patreon page and consider becoming a Toronto Mike'd Patron. If you like what you hear on Toronto Mike'd, please support it and help me to keep it going.

Support Toronto Mike'd on Patreon

Arthur Wellesley

At least you're not a couple of rich guys begging for money to build a basement bathroom.

July 28, 2016 @ 10:19 AM

LieveFamke

This post worked.. I've been meaning to become a Patreon.. this reminded me to do it! I'm not a sports fan at all, but you and your sports guests manage to keep me listening! Good luck and keep up the great interviews!

July 28, 2016 @ 12:08 PM

@LieveFamke

Thank you!

July 28, 2016 @ 1:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Mike, you don't need to feel awkward asking people who enjoy listening to help support your endeavor. Just as you promote Great LAKES brewery, you could bundle it with your self advert to help fund your costs . Cross and Hainsworth did it on Geeks and Beats ( when they were producing it).
Always look forward to your next episode!

July 28, 2016 @ 7:44 PM

Broni

You should not cringe at promoting the Patreon campaign on the podcast. Perhaps an alternative is to get certain guests to record a quick 10-second bit on your behalf asking listeners to support the podcast, which you then drop into future 'casts. Or include a line that is always part of your intro/extro about it. You don't get what you don't ask for, and you have a long way to go before you come anywhere near reaching any kind of saturation point on marketing/support messages within your podcasts.

July 29, 2016 @ 11:33 AM

Sam

Mike, you should not feel bad about this one bit.

In fact I'm already supporting some podcasts on Patreon (Your Mom's House, Sleep with Me) and have just now made a modest contribution to yours.

July 29, 2016 @ 4:05 PM