Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

Well, a light sports night. It wasn't great. My Orioles didn't play last night. My Diamondbacks didn't play either. Indians lost. That's no good. It's not good for my pool. Rangers lost as well and Pirates lost. I had no wins. Anyway, postal strike has been put off until Monday. Oh well, I better enjoy not getting junk mail from Rogers and Bell for a while because when the strike is over, there will be a whole mailbox full of it. Anyway, it will be long. They usually are. People don't get paid for going on strike so I don't know how they can afford to do it. I don't believe strikes really solve anything. Anyway, I am first today so that's a good thing.

July 8, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

Ryan G

Watching the Milos match right now, I was curious about something. Each time a player asks for a towel in the middle of a set, does that towel only get used once? Seems like an awful waste and certainly not environmentally friendly.

Instead, maybe they just give them tiny facecloths each time. This serves two purposes. It would save the planet and also entertain me since it would look so comical.

Someone call someone about making that happen.

July 8, 2016 @ 11:23 AM

McNulty

Crickets

July 8, 2016 @ 12:50 PM

I posted it late... all the action happens before 9:30. :)

Milos!

July 8, 2016 @ 12:59 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Leafs are making good choices!
Raptors Making the Eastern Finals!!
JAYS! #VoteCaptainCanada!!!
Brooke Henderson!!!!
MILOS!!!!!

If Milos manages to win Wimbeldon, the Lou Marsh Award Committee is going to have a hard time picking a winner this year...especially in an Olympic Year.

It's a great time to be a Canadian Sports fan!

July 8, 2016 @ 1:31 PM

Aaron

Bye bye Bernier!

July 8, 2016 @ 2:10 PM

Argie

@McNulty
I suppose there's nothing to discuss/debate......... except for Trudeau, Obama, BLM, "pride", cops killing people, people killing cops, an extremely bloody Ramadan.

July 8, 2016 @ 2:33 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Argie

I think people are becoming numb to these atrocities and running out of things to say...ideas...hope.

July 8, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

Argie

@Al
You're probably right.

July 8, 2016 @ 3:17 PM

McNulty

@ Argie

What is there to say?

Cops shouldn't shoot black people with such little (or no) provocation.
People shouldn't shoot cops down on the street because of what someone else did.
Trudeau hasn't been doing a bad job. You'll disagree but he's not a disaster.
Obama says a lot of things but doesn't actually do a lot. Part his fault, part the GOP refusal to cooperate.
I am not 100% sure what the issue with Pride was. The Orlando shootings (not just the murders but the response to the murders) shows there are still a lot of people who want to supress the basic human rights of someone based on their sexual partner.
Ramadan was proof that the jihadists are vile and disgusting and not really a part of the Muslim faith.
Black Lives Matter.....they have a point and a real argument to make. I just think that sometimes there are voices and actions that don't represent the movement well and actually hurt it.

July 8, 2016 @ 3:43 PM

Argie

@McNulty
"Cops shouldn't shoot black people with such little (or no) provocation"
Don't you mean people in general and not just black people? After all more white people have been killed by cops in the USA thus far in 2016.

July 8, 2016 @ 3:55 PM

James Hamilton

I am glad Cheryl got first, hopefully she will get a prize and win her pools. I am going to see Weiner Dog racing tonight so I am happy.

July 8, 2016 @ 4:47 PM

James Edgar

"Don't you mean people in general and not just black people? After all more white people have been killed by cops in the USA thus far in 2016".

@Argie surprisingly true stat that is well a surprise.

Of course the per capita (per 1 Million) police death rate for blacks is 7.92 versus 2.92 for whites which i find disturbing.

But I do agree that all lives matter and trigger happy cops need to figure out better ways to handle tense situations.

July 8, 2016 @ 4:51 PM

anonymous

I called out the happening somewhere in U.S. last night on previous Open Mike all before it started.
Such a tragedy for all, not just the police, but others shot innocently or after being apprehended.

Obama makes statements which I laugh at. "We have had committees looking into these types of situations & work is being done" - DAH I lost a lot of respect for him not just last night but this last week. He knows he gone in Nov. as Pres.

If Trump becomes Pres. imagine what his action would be if this happened during his reign??

July 8, 2016 @ 6:09 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

@ James Hamilton : Can't wait for the Weiner Dog results tomorrow morning and for the next 6 days non -stop.
Tip...In the forth bet Bubba Barkly

July 8, 2016 @ 6:16 PM

McNulty

@ Argie

I'm not surprised you picked that one statement.

It seems that the unarmed shootings seem to happen to the black community.

July 8, 2016 @ 6:22 PM

argie

@McNulty
I'm sorry I picked a factual Stat.

James hit the nail on the head with the comment re: trigger happy cops. I think that's more of an issue not as much as race. It's either the wrong people are being hired to be cops or the job makes you crazy - in some cases anyway. That's said you couldn't me pay enough to be a cop.

I'm not picking a fight with you. I just feel the issue is less about race than the race hustlers and media would have you believe.

July 8, 2016 @ 8:04 PM

Irv

Abstract Radio on Apple Beats 1 radio is reading off the names of ALL people shot and killed by police in the United States. Even "unknown name".

July 9, 2016 @ 12:06 AM

Irv

Then at the end read off the names of the officers shot in Dallas.

July 9, 2016 @ 12:12 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Orioles lost. There were lots of home runs by Adam Jones, Jonathan Schoop and my favourite, Mark Trumbo, but they still lost anyway which is no good. My Diamondbacks lost another one. Well, other than that, everyone won in my pool. Indians are hot. That's great they won another one and Rangers also won and Pirates and Braves also won so I got four out of six which is not bad. Now I'm worried about my Orioles though. They might really be slipping. |Anyway, so postal strike on Monday. I won't look forward to the pile of junk mail coming after it's all over though.

July 9, 2016 @ 7:30 AM

Rick C in Oakville

The USA racial tension almost feels like the 60's and 70's when neighbourhoods burned. I hope this time round cooler heads prevail because the neighbourhoods burned in the past belonged to the people protesting.
The drought has turned my lawn into a saharan desert waste land, first world problem I know.

July 9, 2016 @ 10:20 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Argie

Is Canada better off since Trudeau has been in power? I see generation debt growing, more world hostility and significantly less leadership.

July 9, 2016 @ 10:30 AM

Douglas

@Rick C - Before the summer became dry, I decided that I was just going to focus on watering my two dwarf multiapple trees, the veggies and berries in the back garden, and the hostas in front of the house. Bonus: No ridiculous water bill. My neighbour, who is fastidious about his lawn, garden and plants, showed me his last one - nearly triple mine. My lawn is more brown than green (matching most of the street), but I have more money to put towards...the electricity bill!

July 9, 2016 @ 10:48 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@Douglas the Hydro will be a zinger, . I kind of dud what you did, concentrate on the plants, but did some grass watering, which was a waste, as it looks no further ahead.

July 9, 2016 @ 11:06 AM

Douglas

@Rick C - Remember, you're not really paying for HYDRO, which is water-generated electricity. Every electrical provider that is not HYDRO should have to remove those five letters from their name and/or use some other term. What we are all really paying for is green (SIC!) electricity (sometimes-)generation. I'm all for diversifying and improving the generation of electricity for the entire province, but why the government since 2003 chose to impoverish us all in the process is beyond me.

July 9, 2016 @ 11:36 AM

But we will agree closing the coal-fired power plants was a good idea, right? Expensive, but necessary, right?

July 9, 2016 @ 12:04 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Mike, when I dropped in and we had a chat at your place, and an awesome Great Lakes Brewery beer, the announcement that Milos had brought on John McEnroe to his team had just been announced.

You may recall my excitement at the time, as I was ecstatic how much I felt this could help push him over the top. Milos himself said yesterday after the match how crucial John was in his net play i.e. what angles to take, when to come forward, and even more so, the positivity in his play and not getting down on himself but look for solutions.

He is a huge underdog against Murray tomorrow, given less than a one out of three chance to win, but all it takes is one shot, and if he can play the way he played in the first and fifth sets against Roger for an entire match, victory will be his.

I am taking even more personal pride on his hard work and success to date, as he grew up on my street in Thornhill and I am friends with his parents. After his big wins I would go over and celebrate with them with a shot of Grappa. If he wins Wimbledon, when his parents return next week, I think I may go through an entire bottle, and will be happy to do so.

I am so nervous for the match but yet excited. The worst part is that my softball team is short players, so I have to honour my commitment and play the game, PVR'ing the match. I have asked my coach to swear the team to not check scores, but realistically, the other team will be doing it, so I may have to accept that, and just hit a sportsbar right after the game.

If Milos wins Wimbledon the Lou Marsh trophy is his, as I can't see anything even in an Olympic year topping it. The most prestigious tennis tournament in the world, 1st time a Canadian wins it, and he had to beat Roger and Andy to do it.

If not tomorrow, future majors will come for him. He is the best of the 25 and under players by far now, and has 3 years on Andy and Novak as well.

July 9, 2016 @ 12:31 PM

@Brian Gerstein

I remember!

This is such a big deal here, my 14 year old who sleeps in until noon will be up at 9am to watch. Go Milos!

July 9, 2016 @ 12:34 PM

Blind Dave

Should be a great weekend on the prairies with 27C & 26C respectively.

Between the walking trail and the treadmill, I have walked/fast walked 41.5 miles the past seven days, with a grand TEN miles last Wednesday alone! I am feeling great and will be back on the tread in a few minutes for today's exercise. Just downloading the David Shoalts pod. I still have a few on backlog but I want to do this one today during my workout.

I'm glad to see Bernier go. Nothing against the guy and I wish him well, but he was never going to have success in blue & white.

July 9, 2016 @ 12:52 PM

Irv

So do a flat rate comparison. My electricity bill was about 320 kwh. I paid 74 dollars. That's in Alberta. We have flexible & fixed rate power here. I am on a 2 year fixed rate plan with the option to use 100% wind generated power for an extra 2 cents a kwh (which I do).

I don't have AC. I have radiant in-floor heating. All bulb are LED. 6 new appliances and at the moment a bunch of ravens in a fight outside my window.

So how does that compare.

July 9, 2016 @ 1:16 PM

Andy

I discovered the podcast through the David Shoalts episode this week and been going back through episodes that interest me, Maddog and Ron McLean among others. Quick question for Mike: Who is the one guest you've wanted to get but haven't yet?

July 9, 2016 @ 1:22 PM

@Andy

I'd love to have Don Cherry on, but I've never even bothered to ask him. I just can't see him doing a podcast in my basement.

I also really want Bob McCown on, and I've managed to have his producer ask him, but I haven't got a yes yet. If you know Bob, tell him to do Toronto Mike'd.

I've been working on Maestro Fresh Wes for a while. He DM'd me this week and promises he'll be on soon. That'll be cool.

I'd like to have Dean Blundell on, but he politely declined. As did Dave Bookman, another I'd like to chat with.

There are others I feel are naturals, like Moses Znaimer and John Derringer, that I just haven't got to yet. In time...

July 9, 2016 @ 1:30 PM

And Ann Rohmer! I'd love to have her on, for obvious reasons.

July 9, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

Douglas

@Irv - A recent Global News item reported that 1,000 Kwh residential electricity use costs about $82 in Manitoba, while that same consumption came to $252 for those who do not live in a major city in Ontario. Urban? It depends on which city you live in. The core rate of electricity is not necessarily the "killer", it's the province's "Global Adjustment" to compensate for paying producers up to 80ยข/kWh to generate so-called "green" (for anyone who is not paying to consume it) energy. Then there is the nearly $1,000,000,000 (one billion dollars) per month that goes on the bill of the taxpayers from having to sell surplus electricity to New York and Michigan at a massive loss. An environmental industry friend of mine who lives in western New York cannot believe how stupid (his word) Ontarians are, but is quite happy to have his electricity bill subsidized by them.

July 9, 2016 @ 1:44 PM

Mel Preston

With Bernier now traded Leafs have a full roster of players who know who Nelson Mandela is :)

Rumour is that the condition on the pick is that the Ducks won't have to give up a pick if Bernier starts both games against the Leafs :) :)

July 9, 2016 @ 1:55 PM

Irv

@Douglas,

It's not just the Ontario government, it's the people of Ontario that are pretty dense when it comes to Energy. They scream at the oil sands, but fill up their car with middle east oil because nothing says environmental stewardship like the Middle East or Mexico. And they scream human rights while buying a product source from a country that killed gays & arrests women for not being faithful..AFTER they've been raped. Build a fucking wind turbine and they scream the view is ruined yet have no issue with 100 miles of suburbs and big box malls. And then invade nature (cottage country) every weekend with loud power boats & monster houses to "escape" the city. The Liberals are a complete train wreck. The Ontario PC's are stuck in the past & espouse "small government" yet want to control everything about your life. It's a giant nanny state. It makes a dude want to move to Montana.

But Ontario is a place where hanging your clothes on a clothesline is illegal in some areas (or was).

July 9, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

Douglas

@Irv - You're preaching to (I was going to say "converted", I am) a born and raised (more-)common sense westerner (who regularly pisses off know-it-all/elite GTAers with that common sense). In other words, you nailed it.

July 9, 2016 @ 2:39 PM

Rob J

Personally, I never feel I have a firm grasp on current events and issues of the day until I hear from every white, straight, urban, middle class male. No chance I'll learn anything useful about Muslim, gay or black perspectives by hearing from those demographics.

July 9, 2016 @ 3:57 PM

Irv

@Rob J

The reality is few white people have any idea what it's like to actually be a persecuted minority nor how it feels. I used to do work on First Nations reserves. I was an invited guest by local police. On occasion the band would hire white people who had applied for work. It was always interesting to see how long they'd last because as soon as they got out there they realized "shit, I'm the only white guy out here" & then they found some people hated them just because they were white. Inevitably their employment was very short term and they'd move on. It was a situation they'd never experienced.

In reference to US police shooting unarmed black males I think there is ingrained racism. I was driving to the gym today and I realized I have a broken headlight. I thought shit, if I was black and in America I just might get shot if I got pulled over.

I think a major issue with US police is they lack crisis & "hostile situation" training. If you join the military they teach you rules of engagement & how to diffuse a situation. Even a reservist is given this training. Part of the training is to have you, the soldier, keep a cool level head in a crisis situation. Case in point of the US Marine who was at that gay club in Florida. He helped dozens of people to escape because he was trained in that type of situation. He said he could tell by the sound of the gun it was an assault rifle. Police need that training and it should be frequent. But that requires the political and social will to pull cops off beat duty and civilians don't give a shit.

The ironic part of Dallas is their most recent chief took over he fired some 70 cops. Citizen complaints dropped like 80%. I wonder if the shooter, a military veteran, was suffering from PTSD? He'd served 6 years and did his tours of duty. The US military has a nasty way of grinding up it's soldiers then dumping them on the street. Not that Canada is much better.

July 9, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

Rob J

Irv,
Great insights on your part...I wondered as well about PTSD and the difficulty vets seem to have reintegrating into society. Nothing else to say.

July 9, 2016 @ 6:36 PM

Collingwood Dave

Elvis festival starts July 22nd. weekend. Gays and black people are welcome.Apologize ahead of time if there are to many white hetero's.....

July 9, 2016 @ 7:51 PM

Blind Dave

@TO Mike

A Toronto Mike'd guest request from my wife: Anne-Marie Sweeney from the Shopping Channel and former Weather Network presenter. She is an absolute hoot and would have great stories to tell! Something in my head says she is also a former DJ.

July 9, 2016 @ 9:04 PM

Cheryl

Well, great Orioles win. Mark Trumbo hit the only homer. That's great. He now has 28 homers on top of the league. this is so awesome. My diamondbacks lost again though and they made a stupid move. They traded their closer, Brad Ziegler to Boston. That is so dumb. He was really good and now they don't have him anymore. anyway, Indians lost. That was no good. They sure blew that one. they could have won it and should have won it, but didn't. Rangers lost as well. Pirates won, but Braves lost, but Braves always lose. Anyway, so Orioles and Pirates won. I am at the bottom of the pool. It sucks. It's mainly because the braves are sucking and I have the fricken Braves and I wish I could get rid of the Braves, but I can't. Anyway, so postal strike tomorrow. These guys won't get paid for going on strike. It's just stupid, but I don't believe in strikes of any kind.

July 10, 2016 @ 6:02 AM

Dawn Keibals

Anyone that does expect or know that Port and France will be tied at the end regulation time is out of their mind.
There are only 5 people that might differ.. Two Fred P. lovers and 3 20 something males whom live in mommies basement and only leave the house after dark to buy a 2 Liter bottle Of Coke and a big bag of Ruffles.

July 10, 2016 @ 3:37 PM

James Hamilton

Sorry @Neil Clarke Warren, I didn't have those little weiners dog racers in a pool, but as the track pointed out - there were no losers, just weiners.

Plus I left after the first race due to the rain and lightning. As a plus you can mingle with the dogs between races and they are pretty cute. The race itself is only 20m so it is over pretty fast. Still I am glad I got a chance to see them. This event should be added to Toronto's Woofstock.

July 10, 2016 @ 3:39 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

@ James Hamilton Going tonight to watch the little weiners tonight at the "Sunday Showdown"
In the first race I am going to bet 6 of the mutts to win in a seven mutt race.Anyway I want my money.The money is mine.Anyway.Lightning strikes are bad.Baseball strikes are good for 6 teams,anyways
Great to mingle with the dogs..as long as you are not on the clean up krew anyways.

July 10, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Irv: My hydro is billed every 2months (bi-monthly) and just received this billing:
Total electricity charges $232.04 for ~1350kwh, this is how it broke down:
On Peak - Summer 73.670 KWH @$0.18 $13.26
Mid Peak Summer 102.220Kwh @$0.132 $13.49
Off Peak- Summer 503.290Kwh @0.087 $43.79
On Peak-Winter 124.620Kwh @0.175 $21.81
Mid Peak-Winter 97.810Kwh @$0.128 $12.52
Off Peak-Winter 450.070Kwh @$0.83 $37.36
Delivery $80.88
Regulatory Charges $8.93

This covers from March 31 to May 30 2016. Not looking forward to the next bill with the Air Conditioning on it.

July 10, 2016 @ 8:46 PM

twins from bolton

Bolton going crazy last 2-3 hrs with Portugal Euro win. If not Italy here , it was Portugal.

@ Cheryl
Anyways, I'm in a pool also for teams in MLB. How it works is that you pick teams & can double up & pick them again sacrificing another pick later. I have the Jays & Cubs & Cleveland & other have 5 or 6 teams. Only 2 people picked the Orioles because of their terrible starting pitching. Anyways you said you are last in your pool (no water) & I'm swimming with the dolphins in 1st place by far with 10 others drowning.

July 10, 2016 @ 8:55 PM

Irv

@Rick C

Interesting. I'd pay $316.00 dollars with that usage. I did some research out of interest and it looks like you have a smart meter. What I found baffling is that the prices are HIGHER for a smart meter home than one without it. Exactly what's the point of a smart meter then? Isn't the idea of a smart meter to save people money? Like automation or something?

I'm fortunate that in this neck of the world we really don't need AC. The average daytime temp is 22C, the average night time is 7C. By Sept, we'll get snow on the peaks again. Having lived there & here, I much prefer the weather here ;-). It makes the coffee taste much better

July 10, 2016 @ 9:15 PM

Cheryl

Well, not such a good sports day yesterday. My Orioles won though which is a great thing. Chris Tillman pitched a great game. Chris Davis and JJ Hardy each hhit homers. The Braves won which is a surprise. My Diamondbacks lost though. That is no good. They got shut out. Indians and Rangers also lost and Pirates also lost. Anyway, no baseball for a while. All star games really don't do anything for me at all. I hope I will do better in my pool in the second half. Postal strike has been canceled for now. That's good, but then I guess they can still go out on strike, who knows.

July 11, 2016 @ 7:40 AM

McNulty

Glad to read that most people, and Douglas I mean you, are absolutely ignorant when it comes to their energy bill and what's going on in Ontario.

But whatever, I'm sure it feels good to whine and complain.

30000km of transmission lines. 22 000 MWh used at peak. The GTA alone uses more energy than several provinces.
But let's compare our prices to Alberta and Manitoba because they are so similar. Brilliant.

July 11, 2016 @ 10:15 AM

Irv

@McNulty

Comparing the two provinces is logical because Alberta has private electricity generation & Ontario is on that path. I also pointed out our power prices are often higher than Ontario, contrary to many people in Ontario who seem to believe they pay the highest prices in the whole world and whine incessantly about it.

As for the volume of power I don't get your point. I could turn around and say maintaining a power grid on the prairies or in the mountains is more challenging than Southern Ontario. On the prairies it's all too frequent golf ball sized hail, storms that you just don't get in Ontario & wild fluctuations in temperatures. In the mountains it's heavy snow and avalanches (which often close roads for days).

My power in my entire region (2 towns) went off last night at 11 PM, came back online this morning just before 8. You could hear the choppers echo in the dark with giant lights looking for the break.

July 11, 2016 @ 10:37 AM

Boomer

@James Hamilton. Your photography and especially coverage of the Toronto Grand Prix is awesome.

I go to Toronto about 5 times a year and have seen you a few of them other than at the GP. Weird there are so many people in Toronto and I've actually seen THE James Hamilton!

Keep up the good work.

July 11, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

James Hamilton

@Boomer thanks for your kind words, say hi next time.

July 11, 2016 @ 4:22 PM

Cheryl

Well, home run derby last night. That really doesn't do a lot for me either, but I wanted Mark Trumbo to win it, but he didn't win it. That's not a good thing. Anyway, so I have no idea what the postal workers are going to do, but so far they are not on strike. Okay, so the all star game is today. Why are there two more days after today without baseball. I sure hope my teams will be all rested up and ready to play so I can do better in my pool.

July 12, 2016 @ 7:08 AM

Cheryl

Two days without baseball. Seems like the baseball all star break is longer than the hockey one, I don't know why. Anyway, hope everyone is rested up. Two more days left until it starts again and my teams will hopefully do well.

July 13, 2016 @ 8:23 AM

Cheryl

Still no baseball again tonight. Anyway, my teams better be all rested up anyway. I want to get ahead in my pool. I hope I can do that.

July 14, 2016 @ 8:58 AM

markosaar

This is pretty cool -- Toronto Public Library officially answering questions on reddit:

I could summarise later once it's done if anyone cares.

July 14, 2016 @ 12:06 PM