Let's Talk About The Simpsons

It's hard to believe they're still making new episodes of The Simpsons. The Simpsons was my favourite show when I was a teenager. Those first six seasons were so good, I still revisit them often.

The first episode ever aired was "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire", the Christmas episode where they get Santa's Little Helper. It's so old, it aired in the 80s. For me, it was love at first sight.

I own the first ten seasons on DVD and still watched on Sunday nights until about six years ago. These days, I prefer to do deep dives, usually after listening to an episode of Talking Simpsons, a podcast fellow Simpsons fans will love. We're currently revisiting season three which gave us such gems as "Flaming Moe's" and "Like Father, Like Clown."

As I watch these episodes I've seen dozens of times the past 27 years, I'm still amazed at the perfect blend of humour and sweetness struck by this cartoon. When The Simpsons got it right, the writing was on point, the acting was stellar the laughs were plentiful and the eyes were moist, and during the first six season, they almost always got it right.

Friends?

Although the show is now a shadow of its former self, I look forward to one day, as an old man, settling in to binge watch the many seasons I've missed. That, in a nutshell, is my exit strategy.

Rob J

I wonder how they'll end the series.

July 18, 2016 @ 5:14 PM

Hans

Mike - Did you catch it in the original Thursday night timeslot as well? Also ,thanks for the podcast link as I was not aware of it and now I'll check it out.

I recall a time when you couldn't change the channel without hitting an episode being on. be it on CBC, Omni1, comedy network or fox it seemed like afternoons was an unofficial Simpsons block. Now the show is only in reruns on FX I think.

Apparently, DVD sales for the recent season must not be good as they are no longer releasing sets as of season 17 (though 20 was released as well).

I will agree that the quality has really dropped off and I haven't watched the last 2 seasons that were on TV.

July 18, 2016 @ 8:33 PM

@Hans

Yes, I was watching from day one. I remember the head-to-heads with Cosby on Thursday nights. It was appointment viewing for me, and I used to record the episodes to VHS to watch again and again and again.

July 18, 2016 @ 8:36 PM

Ryan G

That's one brave child in that photo. Most kids would run screaming from that giant terrifying yellow muppet, and the stains on Homer's shirt make him even creepier.

July 19, 2016 @ 9:15 AM

Barry

My friend, to me, in 1989: "Hey, you know those little cartoons on the Tracy Ullman Show?"

Me: "The yellow family? Yeah, I love those."

Friend: "They're spinning it off into a TV series in prime time!"

Me: "But it's so perfect as it is. This is a huge mistake. It won't last."

July 19, 2016 @ 10:13 AM

Tron

There was a normal debate in my group of friends of what was the show of the 90s between Seinfeld and Simpsons. It's close but I have to give it to the Simpsons.

@Hans I think it still shows on Much weekdays afternoon and Saturday evenings.

Simpsons was such appointment viewing back in the day. I still catch some of the repeat episodes but I hardly watch the new ones. I watch it at times, some are okay but it's just not the same.

Oddly I don't mind them sticking around, I would feel sad when the day comes when there isn't an option at least for new Simpson episodes

July 20, 2016 @ 1:46 PM

Jody Thornton

When I look at the original episodes, I find the first season is pretty much unwatchable for me.

(a) It seemed less targeted towards adults, so some of the dialogue and themes seemed more juvenile
(b) The voice characterizations were off from what they are presently. Even Dan Casteneletta cites that he used to attempt more of a Walter Matthau voice on Homer. Nonetheless, all of the voices have been more refined now.

Mind you, some great eppys from season 2 to even 8 or 9. As the seasons progress, the really good episodes are more scattered, but they're there.

One that doesn't get a lot of mention was the Hallowe'en episode where Homer uses the special hammock to clone himself to perform chores. That is hilarious.

July 20, 2016 @ 3:28 PM

@Jody Thornton

Yes, in season one they're figuring out the animation and voice acting... and season 2 is a little uneven, although it includes some stellar episodes like Lisa's Substitute.

But season 3 it starts to slay. Every episode a gem!

July 20, 2016 @ 3:31 PM