I'm Not Going to Write About Donald Trump

I've yet to write a single word about Donald Trump's pusuit of the most powerful job in the world. To be honest, I kept waiting for common sense to prevail, but here we are....

The RNC is taking place in Cleveland this week, and it's what I'd have expected. Here's a nice synopsis from Daniel Dale, who knows a thing or two about covering populist candidates in pursuit of power.

I've gone this far without writing about Trump, and I'm not going to stop start now.

Rob J

This saga surely puts to death once and for all that there's a 'liberal media'. Trump and his surrogates have been allowed to get away with dozens of statements and 'policies' which would render any other candidate (Repub or Dem) completely unsuitable for any public office.

July 19, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

Barry

And sadly, the item from that list getting the most attention is Melania Trump plagiarizing a laundry list of cliches. It's the least problematic item on the list.

July 19, 2016 @ 11:45 AM

Barry

After so much throwing of feces yesterday, I guess it should be no surprise that there has been an outbreak of norovirus at the Republican convention.

If Trump doesn't blame it on the Democrats, terrorists, or both by 8 p.m. I'll be shocked.

July 19, 2016 @ 12:51 PM

Barry

@David

Yeah, this is why I don't think you'll hear Clinton or the Democrats make any kind of deal out of the plagiarism. The reality is that political speech-writing is riddled with plagiarism. If you want to accuse someone of plagiarism, take anything written by, or with the assistance of, a political speech writer and you're probably going to find some heavily sampling.

July 19, 2016 @ 1:27 PM

David

@Barry Wait till you see who they're trotting out for the DNC. The circus continues.

July 19, 2016 @ 1:32 PM

Lynne

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

July 19, 2016 @ 1:50 PM

Mookie

I think the "none of the above" box would be attractive to many this November...uggh.

On a related note, any word on how the Libertarians are doing?

July 19, 2016 @ 2:04 PM

Barry

To me, the most notable thing that has happened so far was this appalling bit of blatant white supremacy.

I mean, that's resign-your-seat-you-racist-garbage territory. Somehow it got overshadowed by plagiarism.

July 19, 2016 @ 2:33 PM

Argie

@Mike
You don't have to write about Trump. The majority of the media and the Einstein's here (Tron, Irv, Ben, McNulty, Barry, Rob J, etc) have that covered. Enjoy your summer.

July 19, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

Barry

There's Argie, who only last week pretended he doesn't insult people, now using the word "Einstein" sarcastically to insult people. I believe that's what hypocrisy looks like.

July 19, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

John M.

I've decided to not read any story with "Trump" in the headline.

If he loses, I'll have saved my time.

If he wins. I am sure I'll be able to catch up fast enough.

I am not American and I cannot vote in their elections. I'll focus on things that do affect me.

July 19, 2016 @ 3:18 PM

Rob J

@Argie
No apostrophe needed in 'Einsteins'.

July 19, 2016 @ 4:07 PM

JR

I just follow you for your radio interviews. Not at all interested in your left wing politics. Esp. with Daniel Dale retweets.

July 19, 2016 @ 4:44 PM

Jody Thornton

@JR
If you don't follow his liberal political retweets, then why are you even here long enough to post your two cents on it? Sounds like your just itching' to throw water on someone's opposite viewpoints.

July 19, 2016 @ 5:17 PM

Barry

So, when will Daniel Dale be a guest on Toronto Miked? :P

July 19, 2016 @ 5:31 PM

twins from bolton

Would you rather have a PUNCH to your face or a KICK in the Nut$. Clinton vs. Trump.
Either way the U.S. is in a $h1t mode for the next 4 years.

July 19, 2016 @ 7:02 PM

Barry

Unfortunately, I think he'll win.

I believe his strategy has been this:

He's crazy, but he know he's crazy, so in order to make his regular crazy seem normal, he's ratcheted up the crazy to batshit crazy since there are enough Republicans who are okay with that, so it would get him the nomination. But now he'll dial it back to his regular crazy and he'll also be less racist, and people will say, "see? he's not that crazy and is only a little racist and I'm okay with that."

And that's how you be Donald Trump and become president anyway.

July 19, 2016 @ 7:34 PM

I'd have Daniel Dale on Toronto Mike'd.

July 19, 2016 @ 8:04 PM

Barry

@Toronto Mike

He'd be a great guest for the "Rob Ford's backyard" story alone.

July 19, 2016 @ 8:13 PM

@Barry

Rob Ford just lied through his teeth with that one. Wasn't the first or last time, either.

July 19, 2016 @ 8:27 PM

David

Ask him how come he went to Ford's house at dusk and Ford's house was between him and the piece of land he was investigating when Rob chased him .Never did get that straight in my mind.

July 19, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

@David

Nice try. I'm not biting this time.

July 19, 2016 @ 9:21 PM

Tron

I haven't even been on here that much lately let alone talk about Trump. The only thing I mentioned was him somehow blaming the Prez because what happened in France, even though during a debate his policy idea is to remove all bases, troop support and finance to ally countries pretty much telling them to "take care of their own land themselves" If that's his feelings on it (which I have no problem with as it's a libertarian type of stand) then why be so critical when something happens in foreign land with the current prex.

The thing is he's just a total phoney. In his latest 60 minutes interview, he literally changes his opinion on something multiple times in the same interview. When he called 911 an act of war, but then was critical for going to war (even though there audio of him supporting the war in 2001) then excusing his VP pick for voting to go to war by saying, but at the same time using that as a reason that Hillary can't lead. The guy really doesn't stand for anything.

I think us here have seen this playbook before. The similarities between him and Ford is amazing. It always surreal to see Americans react to Trump antics and I (along with most Torontonians) are thinking "I've seen this song and dance before" I am sure Daniel Dale can tell Americans move by move Trump is doing by just remembering what Ford did

July 20, 2016 @ 1:38 PM

James Edgar

I just got back from a 4 day motorcycle trip to Pennsylvania so i've had to do some catch up with the news.

The plagiarism thing is pretty funny and not at all important. far to much is being made of it IMHO

Some of the speakers from the first day? WTF? Who the F&%K takes Scott Baio seriously? Why would they have him speak?

It will be a strange time until,the election in November. And possibly even more so after. Whether Trump wins or Clinton wins people are going to a little crazy I think. Some of the things i'm seeing said from both sides are pretty unpleasant.

July 20, 2016 @ 3:24 PM