The Untold True Story of Ann Rohmer's Two Retirements from CP24

Ann Rohmer has been a fixture on Toronto television for decades. Before joining Citytv in 1986, she was a features reporter for Canada AM. At Citytv, she was the CityPulse Weekend sports anchor before joining David Onley as the first hosts of Breakfast Television on September 6, 1989.

Ann hosted BT for 12 years until she took an anchor position at CP24. CP24 and Citytv, you will recall, were both owned by CHUM Limited at the time. Ann would become an institution on CP24, hosting a wide variety of shows in addition to her anchor duties. Here's a sample of Ann Rohmer-hosted programs on CP24, either as primary host or fill-in host.

• Hot Property
  • Animal House Calls
  • HomePage
  • Perfect Fit
  • More On CP24
  • Live at Noon
  • CP24 Breakfast

Needless to say, Ann became the most recognizable face on CP24, which is why I found it so puzzling when she announced her retirement in June 2010.

As you'll recall, there was a massive sendoff on CP24 as Ann was leaving the industry for a job in aviation. No specifics were given, but this Toronto Star article at the time quoted Ann.

And then, literally, the sky’s the limit. Though she can’t yet be specific, Rohmer will follow family tradition for a new career in the aviation industry. “Air travel, airlines, flight, it’s in our blood,” says Rohmer, whose father, General Richard Rohmer, is a former fighter pilot and chief of the air reserve. She herself was a Nordair flight attendant in the ’70s.

I assumed Ann was going to become head of communications at Porter Airlines or something like that, but by that fall, she was back on CP24 as if she had never left in the first place. CP24 did not address the reason for her return, or even the fact that she had returned to the anchor desk. This is when I began my quest to learn what really happened.

The closest I came to learning what really happened was when Steve Anthony visited my home for episode 123 of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. I grilled Steve on the subject, and he did his best to answer. But, in retrospect, he was careful. Too careful.

Our story resumes in November 2015. That's when Ann once again announced she was retiring from broadcasting and CP24. Here's video footage of her big announcement.

Once again, gifts were purchased for Ann, a party was thrown and cake was sliced and devoured by many. Once again, Ann was cryptic about why she was retiring from broadcasting, only to say she was moving to Collingwood for the next chapter of her life. There was no mention of Ann's first retirement during celebrations for her second retirement. I even closed my entry about this second retirement with a snarky "Happy retirement, Ann! See you back on CP24 in a few months..."

ann

And here we are, about eight months later, and Ann is back on CP24. Once again, it's as if the retirement and public farewell never happened. But this time, I know the untold true story of why Ann has retired twice and returned to CP24 twice. My sources are impeccable, and I share this information with nothing but admiration for Ann. The following paragraphs took me six years to write.

In 2010, Ann complained to management about having to host CP24 breakfast and anchor the 5pm newscast. It was a gruelling schedule, and she was a veteran broadcaster. She told management she'd do one or the other, but not both.

Management called her bluff, and when the smoke cleared, Ann decided to retire in an attempt to recreate the happiest moments of her professional life. Those were her years as a flight attendant in the 1970s. She was a flight attendant for Air Canada when she was in university, and was an award-winning flight attandant at Nordair. Her first retirement in 2010 was not to head communications at Porter Airlines but to recapture the joys of her youth as a flight attendant.

It was only after her retirement party and departure from CP24 that Ann received her new compensation plan. It was far less than anticipated, and Ann negotiated a return to CP24, at a much reduced rate. And her return to the aviation industry was never spoken of again.

In the fall of 2015, Ann had her sights set on another role. She wanted to become Attorney General of Ontario. Ann is not a lawyer, but neither was Marion Boyd, so there is precedent. Of course, every other Attorney General of Ontario was a lawyer, but Ann was confident being the daughter of General Richard Rohmer would carry a great deal of weight in this regard, and she was no doubt inspired by former colleague David Onley who spent seven years as the 28th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

It's become apparent her campaign to be Attorney General of Ontario will bear no fruit, and Ann has negotiated another return to the airwaves. The question remains, is she merely back for the summer or longer term?

And when she retires a third time, will there be gifts and cake? And will it finally stick?

I'll stay on this story, as long as it takes.

Update: June 13, 2018

Ann was just over to answer my many questions, and she confirms the reason for the first retirement, but disputes the reason for the second retirement. Hear this 100 minute conversation with Ann Rohmer here.

Steve

Funny. Never would have thought those were the reasons someone would leave an on air gig....

Side note: Do we know if Lyndsey Deluce is related to Robert Deluce.....Grand Puba at Porter ?

June 12, 2016 @ 11:02 AM

@Steve

Yes, Lindsey Deluce is Porter Airlines CEO Robert Deluce's niece.

That's a big reason there was so much speculation Ann was joining Porter back in 2010.

June 12, 2016 @ 11:10 AM

Irv

TMZ = Toronto Mike 'Zine.

June 12, 2016 @ 11:22 AM

GUNTer

ok but you leave us hanging on the bit about becoming a flight attendant? what happened? too old? couldn't find a job? decided it wasn't for her? what the hell - that is really odd.
I don't admire her at all - she's become a joke.
How about this time you just fade away without all the hooplah? sheesh

June 12, 2016 @ 11:59 AM

Hans

It sounds like by this account the airline job thing was a mid-life crisis thing for her.

I'm going to say something very unpopular by questioning how entitled Ann Rohmer must be to think that she had a actual shot at the AG position without any sort of legal background and using her father's name to try and get the gig instead of any actual merit.

What's next for her? Taking a run at the leadership of the NDP or PC parties come the fall because she's Ann Rohmer, "lead anchor" of cp24?

June 12, 2016 @ 12:11 PM

Anonymous

I like Ann very much, but I do find the story odd. Ann gave up an opportunity to recreate the happiest moments in her professional life because of a low compensation plan that she wasn't aware of ahead of time? Then, she returns to her old job, but at a reduced rate? She must be near 60. How low was this compensation package that it wasn't worthy of taking? Does CP24 have no retirement plan for their employees? And Attorney General? Really? I think Ann might actually be a respectable choice for Lieutenant Governor, but, seriously, AG? I do wish Ann all the best and happiness, though, in whatever she chooses. Hope everything works out for her.

June 12, 2016 @ 12:51 PM

H

6 years but well worth the wait.

June 12, 2016 @ 2:25 PM

Linda Bicho

Thanks for the update Mike. Stay on this for us. On the one hand, it's weird that she's back. But on the other hand, it's kind of cool that CP24 is bringing back some one who is older for a change instead of phasing them out.

June 12, 2016 @ 11:25 PM

Linda Bicho

June 12, 2016 @ 11:25 PM

Rob

@ToMike,
I have a problem with part of the story. The Attorney General of Ontario is not a political appointment but is a ministerial position currently held by Madeleine Meilleur (Liberal) representing the riding of Ottawa-Vanier.

Maybe Ann was hoping to be appointed a Judge or a Justice of the Peace.

June 13, 2016 @ 8:12 AM

@Rob

I know, it's bizarre.

June 13, 2016 @ 8:25 AM

Corrado

@Torontomike. I know you say your sources on this are impeccable but there is so much about this that makes no sense at all. How does anyone not know that flight attendants are paid poorly and more importantly would Ann not explore the wage situation in the airline industry before leaving a well paid job as lead anchor and long time employee at CP24.

Also, being considered for the position of AG for Ontario she would have needed to be elected as an MPP. I don't know if she ran in the last provincial election, but the timeline certainly does not coincide with her 2nd "retirement". Did you mean to say Lieutenant Governor of Ontario as that is a political appointment that does not require you to be elected to legislature.

June 13, 2016 @ 8:29 AM

It was explained to me there was a great deal of naivety in this regard.

June 13, 2016 @ 8:40 AM

Corrado

@Torontomike "It was explained to me there was a great deal of naivety in this regard". Talk about an understatement. Sounds like she could have used a career counsellor.....twice.

What does that kind of naivite do to your credibility as someone delivering the news ? Do you look at her any differently ?

June 13, 2016 @ 8:58 AM

Stephen

She should just disappear.......like Steve Podborski

June 13, 2016 @ 9:03 AM

Barry

I get that she might want to go back to something she did as a youth, regardless of how little it paid. I imagine she saw it as her "retirement job." The attorney general thing? Weird, and yes, naive. I wonder who she had counselling her on this.

But one thing I'm missing: it seems she had two options when in dispute with CP24: cave or retire. Did she not consider employment at another media outlet? Did she pursue this and get rebuffed?

June 13, 2016 @ 9:41 AM

Rupert Pupkin

Attorney-General? I want some of what she was smoking. That's like saying she wanted to be a pediatric oncologist because she's met some children and has heard of cancer. What a flyweight.

June 13, 2016 @ 12:55 PM

Justin

The Ontario AG thing sounds far-fetched but check out this sequence of events:

1. Ontario AG Madeleine Meilleur resigned last Thursday.

2. Ann Rohmer returns to CP24...also last Thursday.

3. On Monday, a new AG was appointed.

---

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Also, @Corrado, one doesn't have to be an MPP to be appointed to be the AG (or any other Cabinet position). It's a longstanding convention that cabinet ministers are sitting MPs or MPPs, but it's not mandatory. In 2006, Stephen Harper appointed Michael Fortier as Minister of Public Works and later as the International Trade minister even though he was unelected.

June 15, 2016 @ 12:39 AM

Paul

I'm sure she is a very nice person. She reads a teleprompter. What is the fascination people have watching someone reading a teleprompter? Why do these people get awards [amongst themselves] reportedly get paid well and read a teleprompter. I believe they are not allowed to express a personal opinion on any news item, so they read a biased story handed down about three times written by an out of touch over the phone information gathering process.
Fox News is made out to be a joke so you will believe biased mainstream media.
If I see it, I believe it otherwise......

July 1, 2016 @ 7:44 PM

Dom

I am dissappointed that no explanation was ever given regarding her two returns to TV. Hard to explain, but feels like a slap in the face to her viewers, and lessens my trust in her.

October 9, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

Jenfryreyesonly

I'm thrilled she's back she's very good!
I can't blame her for trying a change & don't knock what she's gone through until 👉you 👈 perfect people have walked in her shoes❗
Now stop being negative & go blenderize 🍌🍍some pineapple &mashed banana's & turmeric - its good for your Sinus's & moods & inflammation they say! 😊
I hope Cp24 or who ever controls the shows there brings back animal talk - adoptions etc and we will all be much happier! 😃👏
Have a good day or night everyone.
Jen😊
Ps
Why don't they add a landlord tenant talk show ?

October 26, 2016 @ 2:44 AM

Rosstafari

I'm watching her on CP24 right now, and she's hosting a show called "Autoshop". It's (obviously) about cars, and she looks and sounds really awkward....it's actually kind of sad. She seemed to at least had some passion for her other shows and topics, but talking to two shmoes about the wonders of winter tires doesn't seem to be stoking those fires.

October 31, 2016 @ 2:21 AM

Ann Romer

I am going out trick or treating tonight as Ann Rohmer. I will pick one house and keep going back over and over again.

October 31, 2016 @ 11:22 AM

Brandon

Ann workin' the CP24 Halloween beat tonight.

October 31, 2016 @ 11:40 PM

Chuck

Hmmm...I wonder if Ma Bell is part of the lack of explanation & secrecy ?
Bell took over & maybe Ann was mislead about her compensation package by her 'new' employer Bell ?
I would imagine Ann (& other CP24 staff) wud luv to let their loyal viewers know what happened & I'd bet it has sumthin to do w Bell management & her new 'contract(s)' probably put a gag order on her & the other staff ! Speak of it (on air or to any media) & u r gone, gone, gone !?

I thot I heard rumours of a move to Ottawa &/or a possible marriage too ?
Not sure if they fit in to ur story ?

Anyway, I prefer to see her on CP24, but wish it didn't seem like they had put her thru the ringer ?

PS - did she return the gifts ?

November 3, 2016 @ 4:04 AM

King Adrock

I agree, it is a big slap in the face. Wtf!?
Also, one regular guest On hot property also announced his last show. And then as soon as Ann Rohmer retired, and wouldn't be doing hot property anymore, he suddenly reappeared. Coincidence? I don't think so!
Glad it's not her hosting anymore!

December 11, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

marei lloyd

Oh my , I love cp 24 , what did we do to deserve Ann Rhomer to take over the last 2 days . She appears to be the only one there . Morn , Noon and ever the 11 pm news .She does look a bit over the hill , when we have so many , new , young, and very charming new staff. TV , is very cruel to looks , been there done that
Ann dear get a job behind the camera , that is if cp 24 cannot do without you .But Idoubt that . I wonder what the real story is

December 26, 2016 @ 11:47 PM

marei lloyd

OH,I arrived home to night , only tofind Ann Rhomer taking over again I think there are a few of us who will say GOODBYE ,to the station for a time until that lady leaves again . It will be when she takes up with some man , and finally retires . Why cant she do something with that awful yesterday hair -do . That is not what T.V is all about .Does she not look at the other females , who look so great with good looking hair ,Ann bless you are still in the last century .Why does management give a nod to say , get with it girl

December 30, 2016 @ 1:27 AM

Brandon

One Twitter user writes:

@CP24 I have been listening to a sick and hoarse Ann Rohmer for a week. Give the woman some time off to get better. It's horrible to hear

And another one earlier wrote:

#Toronto #CP24 Poor CP24 news anchor Ann Rohmer : it's obvious that she has a bad head cold and is struggling through the news 😢😢

Marei, if your theory is indeed correct that "she appears to be the only one there" it looks like they've stacked the deck so heavily Rohmer that she couldn't break away even for some sick time. If true, she's a trooper for plowing through, though!

December 30, 2016 @ 1:12 PM

That Guy

Ha! I knew it. She learned the hard way that she doesn't have the clout with CTV corporate that she may have had with old time CityTV management. Tried to dictate the terms of her job and got crushed. As for her aviation based compensation package. Well, what kind of dummy takes a job where they have no idea what is on offer pay wise. I know Ann's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that an aviation gig wasn't going to pay her anywhere near what she was making in broadcast television.

January 17, 2017 @ 5:34 AM

Paul Mulhern

Ann, obviously garners some favour with the airwaves management of CP 24. I don't know anyone in my circle whose quit a job on two consecutive occasions and been invited back to do it a third time. Her 36 plus years In broadcasting lost her a number of accomplishments she regrets. Not the least of these is a happy and life long marriage. Wisdom, unfortunately, came too late to replace the vanity she served these many years. I doubt she'll last in the host position after 2017.

February 7, 2017 @ 10:28 AM

Maciek

Amazing woman
Significant person on TV
And Ann is
A-Ann
N-news
N-networ
No,you cannot leave TV

February 13, 2017 @ 9:51 PM

Marlene

It is July 2017 and have not seen Ann Rohmer on t.v. for a while. Did she retire again? Look forward to a reply. Thanks.

July 3, 2017 @ 11:45 AM

@Marlene

Ann tells me the doctor has ordered her to rest her voice until August.

July 3, 2017 @ 1:23 PM

Ted

I just received a polling call re next provincial election. One of questions was my preference if Ann Roehmer was running for PC's.

July 31, 2017 @ 10:38 PM

Lau Lau

CTV is trying to copy CNN. It makes the women wear bright colours and no patterns and almost forces them to go sleeveless. Its getting really boring and predictable. I didn't know that wearing a printed top or dress on television was so offensive to the CTV executives.

August 3, 2017 @ 8:52 PM

Barb

I, truly miss seeing Ann on CP24, just hope she is coming back, and her health is ok.

August 13, 2017 @ 8:17 AM

momma007

Is she gone again??? Have not seen her on cp24 for a while again, and when I looked just now at their "On Air Personalities" at this link: http://www.cp24.com/more/bios ...... she is not listed there.
Darn it, did I miss yet ANOTHER retirement????!! :D

August 21, 2017 @ 4:52 PM

There are 3 possibilities:

1. She's quit to take a run at provincial politics, running for the PC party
2. She's no longer with with CP24 but went to the retirement well too many times
3. Her doctor has ordered her to rest her voice (this is what she's told me) and she's taken a sick leave but plans to return

August 21, 2017 @ 4:55 PM

Dude

Beautiful person both inside and out. Perfect compliment to Kevin Frankish. Much better than the current fluff on CP24.

October 18, 2017 @ 8:29 AM

Viewer24

....is she done?

November 3, 2017 @ 10:02 AM

@Viewer24

She tells me she is definitely not done. She has a voice issue that she's recovering from.

November 3, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

Phil McCavity

so far she's not come back (hooray!!!)..now I can sit and watch all those other equally talentless bimbos at CP24 get their facelifts in peace ("why Mika, is that a NEW nose?")

January 12, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

Anonymous

Love Anne. Wondered about her sudden reappearance but was happy to see her. Wish shed return again. It seems as though the younger ones really respect her and she seems motherly to them as well. she is a natural.

January 15, 2018 @ 7:10 PM

Curious

But the question still remains ... is Anne Rohmer finished at CP24 in 2018? Or is she ill?

January 21, 2018 @ 12:24 PM

@Curious

According to her, she's not finished at CP24.

January 22, 2018 @ 4:05 PM

Aidan

Why take her bio down? CTV and other TV stations don't take down their anchors and reporters bios off their website when they're on a leave.

January 22, 2018 @ 5:46 PM

@Aidan

Ask Bell Media PR and let me know what they say!

January 22, 2018 @ 6:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Time to have "Indian Ann Rohmer" AKA Anita Sharma on the podcast and ask her about the person who she suddenly and inexplicably replaced.

January 22, 2018 @ 6:15 PM

Anonymous

They should fire fuck-up STEVE Anthony he cannot do an interview for beans he is terrible. What happened to the blond sportscaster she was very young, she was good except when George L. Kept talking while she gave the sportcast.

February 28, 2018 @ 12:15 AM

Shannon Petersen

Where is Ann Rohmer now 2018. What happened 2 Steve Anthony's looks. Is he rehearsing 4 job as a homeless man? Not a good look.

February 28, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

@Shannon Petersen

Steve is still in post-vacation mode. He'll shave that beard soon. He dropped by yesterday for a fun chat! http://www.torontomike.com/2018/02/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_309.html

As for Ann, she should be visiting me next month. She had to deal with a voice issue, but tells me she'll be back.

February 28, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

Ellen

Just for the record, I have dealt with Ann Rohmer on several occasions and she is one of the nicest people I have met. She is truly a kind person and I wish her well in whatever she chooses to do. I hope to see her on tv again soon.

March 3, 2018 @ 7:28 PM

Gery

Enough of Ann she gone thankfully, and may she take Stevie with her.

March 6, 2018 @ 1:42 PM

Rob

Where is Ann?? Still not on cp25. I miss her!!

August 18, 2018 @ 8:01 AM

Curious

I saw yesterday that Ann Rohmer hosted John Tory's mayoralty launch/town hall so I guess her "voice" has recovered but not enough to be on CP24. Maybe they just had enough of her "retirements" and whatever caused her to step away this last round when she claimed "voice issues", they said "Okay, enough this time. You're done and we're not hosting another 'Goodbye Anne' either. So best of luck and ciao." Looks like neither side wants to go on the record that she is done for some reason.

September 10, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

@Curoius

Anne's voice has recovered and she explains why she's no longer on CP24 here: http://www.torontomike.com/2018/06/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_348.html

September 11, 2018 @ 12:38 PM

Anonymous

I didn't really like when she was interviewing or hosting . She had a tendency of cutting off the people she was interviewing. She would ask questions and cut off and interrupt when person she was interviewing was answering her questions. I hated that.

September 18, 2018 @ 10:53 PM

Martha Barnard

Living in New Hampshire for 15 yrs, after living in Toronto for 25, I was very surprised to see Ann Rohmer on a commercial spot as an interviewer for Anderson Windows! Interesting to say the least!

May 17, 2019 @ 2:05 PM