Raveena Aulakh

I've never met Raveena Aulakh, environment reporter at the Toronto Star since 2008, but I recently learned she took her own life the weekend of May 28. She was only 42 years old.

I've read a great deal about the sordid circumstances surrounding her suicide, first in Frank Magazine, and most recently in the National Post.

If you're curious about what may have contributed to Raveena's most final decision, you'll have to click those links. I'm not interested in repeating the salacious details here. I've spent the past few days curious as to why the Toronto Star did not publish a word about Raveena's death.

Today's article in the National Post sheds some light on why no obituary was published in the Star.

Sources confirmed to the Post that Aulakh took her own life. She left a note in the newsroom, which was discovered by colleagues.

Aulakh requested that no obituary be published in the paper, and sources confirmed that the Star and its staff are honouring her request.

That's fine, but as of last night, Reveena Aulakh's biography on the Toronto Star website was written as if she was alive and actively working. Every time I read this bio, it upset me.

raveena

Then, moments ago, I paid another visit to Raveena's bio. It had finally been updated.

raveena

Updated, but for some reason, it doesn't mention that she's passed away. It even has her email listed, as if one could still write her.

According to a memo obtained by the National Post, Unifor Local 87-M has made a request to the newspaper’s management to organize an independent, third-party investigation into the Raveena's death. Something smells here, and we owe it to Raveena to get answers.

Rick C in Oakville

Sad, obviously she was heart broken, not sure I agree they should report her passing in her Bio.

June 7, 2016 @ 7:56 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

It reads as if she's simply quit and moved on. Actually, by keeping the email address there, it reads as if she's still in the organization.

June 7, 2016 @ 8:00 PM

Handsome Rob

Here's their response.

To be honest, seems like sad gossip to me.
Would have rather not had to read about it here.

Hope she has found peace.

June 7, 2016 @ 9:58 PM

Mr. X

@Handsome Rob

The National Post doesn't print 'gossip'.

Even the Toronto Star admits Jon Filson had a year long affair with Raveena. https://www.thestar.com/opinion/public_editor/2016/06/07/when-a-private-tragedy-becomes-public-english.html

It's news, not gossip.

June 7, 2016 @ 10:07 PM

Handsome Rob

@Mr X

It's office gossip with a terrible ending.
It is not news.
Just because the Post writes about it doesn't make it news.

Will they start "reporting" on all the other affairs in all the other workplaces now too and all the terrible stories of how lives and families are destroyed? Should be exciting! Can't wait. /sarcasm

June 7, 2016 @ 10:24 PM

@Handsome Rob

The salacious details of this sad story aren't anything I'd ever write about on this site. In fact, I flat out refused to repeat them here. Of course, they're all over the place now if people are curious, but you'll have to click off this site to read them.

I was intrigued by the complete silence on the death of Raveena. I feel readers had a right to know when a reporter they read in the paper passes away. When the bio still urged people to call Raveena over a week after her death, I didn't like the smell.

And with the request by the union for an external review, one has to wonder if there's more unseemly behaviour here beyond the salacious. I don't consider this gossip, as gossip would be who is sleeping with whom. This is about how Canada's largest newspaper manages internal complaints.

There's most definitely a story here, well beyond workplace affairs, IMHO.

June 7, 2016 @ 11:04 PM

alan carlisle

“Freedom does not negate responsibility. It is vital that the media act responsibly in reporting facts on matters of public concern, holding themselves to the highest journalistic standards.” This is from the Toronto star's Atkinson Principles Policy...
It goes on.
.If the Toronto Star does not live up to this responsibility in everything it publishes — in the newspaper, on its websites and through social media — we undermine our credibility with the public. As the Star ’s then-publisher Beland Honderich said in November 1972 on the occasion of the opening of the Star ’s new offices at One Yonge St.: “The most valuable asset a newspaper can have is its reputation for telling the truth.”
From their Journalistic guidelines... Toronto star

June 8, 2016 @ 5:52 AM

Snore

The Star's piece by the public editor does not mention the fact that two of the major players in the tragedy, Filson and Davenport, also had spouses. I wonder how they're feeling now?. Of course, it can't be nearly as bad as friends and family of Raveena. This is a tragedy that could have been prevented. Seems to be a huge moral and workplace issue.

June 8, 2016 @ 8:02 AM

Cambo

The Star was in a no-win position here. If they had said that she had passed away, then someone would have done some digging and eventually found it and publicized it. The Star (rightly so) has a policy of not reporting on suicide's unless it's deemed in the public interest/benefit. Because the union has openly asked for an investigation, it instantly became public.

Obviously, there is something much deeper going on here. However, these were private citizens, in private affairs with one ending in tragedy. However I don't agree that this entire situation is in the public's interest, but the Star was forced to out it.

What's the story you see here? That they didn't publish her death, and then did? Or that they didn't change her bio in a timely manner? Are we all going to benefit from knowing what is going on behind their own doors? Hardly. This is an internal HR problem- and you likely won't ever know the final outcome anyway.

June 8, 2016 @ 8:05 AM

@Cambo

You can report a death without stating the cause of death.

Regardless, I'm glad there is an investigation because of what I read in Frank Magazine (which I also confirmed with an insider to ensure they weren't full of shit). It's a three part series:

1: https://frankmag.ca/2016/06/suicide-at-the-star/
2: https://frankmag.ca/2016/06/suicide-at-the-star-part-deux/
3: https://frankmag.ca/2016/06/suicide-at-the-star-iii/

June 8, 2016 @ 8:12 AM

@Toronto Mike

What you know:

- She committed suicide
- Her bio was left on the website after she was deceased.

Leaving the bio up definitely qualifies as disrespectful & lazy. All the other assumptions are nothing more than speculation. The Frank Magazine article is junk "journalism" at best. Strip away your emotion to this "case" and read it with a clear mind. It reeks with innuendo, gossip and is sub par to even TMZ. At least TMZ operates something like an intelligent agency & actually researches the gossip before releasing it.

Would you like police to use these "investigative" tactics?

June 8, 2016 @ 8:36 AM

@Irv

I intentionally didn't write anything based on the Frank Magazine posts, but waited for a better source. Then, the National Post published their story, confirming most of what I'd read. That's when I wrote this entry.

We know much more than:

- She committed suicide
- Her bio was left on the website after she was deceased.

Read the National Post article for specifics.

June 8, 2016 @ 8:45 AM

Cambo

@Mike

The point is, there is no story here. Obviously they have an element of affairs in the work place, and someone that was clearly mentally unwell suffered. This is an internal matter and nothing more.

The general public at large won't care because it happens all the time. You just don't hear about it because they're not "media" related.

June 8, 2016 @ 8:53 AM

@Cambo

I respectfully disagree with your statement that there's no story here.

This isn't about workplace affairs. I'll quote this part from the Canadian Press article I just read about what's happening at Canada's largest newspaper:

A memo from Steve Gjorkes on behalf of Unifor's Star unit said it wants "the third-party investigator's mandate to include workplace health and safety and harassment issues, along with company policies and practices.''

"For transparency's sake, we are calling for a third-party investigation into a newsroom tragedy,'' reads the memo. "While many of us continue to grieve the death of our colleague Raveena Aulakh, your union has listened to newsroom members and has formally asked the Toronto Star to appoint an outside investigator to conduct an inquiry into the events surrounding the tragedy.'''

Then, there's this in the Star itself about the organization and ethics: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/public_editor/2011/12/07/toronto_star_newsroom_policy_and_journalistic_standards_guide.html

June 8, 2016 @ 9:02 AM

Irv

I just read the National Post article. Based on the "information" in the article, they allege this woman had a relationship with an individual who may have been having a relationship with a woman who was his superior. The term "improper relationship" was used. Exactly what constitutes an "improper relationship". Further, does The Star have any guidelines for employees on inter-office relationships? Because if "having an affair" becomes a criminal matter then the RCMP PROS database is going to explode in size (better order the new servers now).

“I have worked in newsrooms for 40 years and have never seen anything like the level of grief and anger exploding here,” wrote English.

^^. An interesting comment and perhaps a fair one. But, allow ME to speculate & assume.

At present newsrooms & print media are facing a recession so dire that it may well wipe out the entire industry. Working in this environment is likely to bring about elevated emotions, stress, anger, frustration, etc. Couple that with repeated layoffs, some who have ended the careers of skilled journalists. So it's possible to assume some of that grief & anger is less about the incident and more about the surrounds & workplace.

But let me turn this around on you Mike and use the same tactics others out in the media are using. Is your interest in this situation fueled by your honest concern. Or is it fueled by the fact that many media types are in heated debate about those. Those media types are often candidates as guests for your podcast.

^^You see what I did there right? I played "Sleuth" and used circumstantial evidence to draw a conclusion based on my own "tunnel vision". It's only meant as an example.

I am not defending The Star but I don't think this is news. Further, she asked for no obituary so the Star did not run one. An article on her death = obituary.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:08 AM

@Irv

Who said anything about a criminal matter? I'm merely saying it's news, and I'm glad there's an investigation. I never said anything about law enforcement.

The mere fact the union has asked for an independent investigation is news.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:10 AM

Cambo

@Mike.

Please.

This is how news wires work, and in turn each subscriber simply reprints it. I'll bet most of those reprinting it, didn't even read it. So now it's all over the world in the internet sense- when there very well be nothing at all. I suspect the union actually leaked it to other news media themselves that they were asking for an investigation.

Just because a union calls for investigation (unions like to stir the pot for any reason), doesn't mean there's actually anything there. A cigar is a cigar and all that.

Let me know if and when you know the results of the investigation- because you likely never will. Until then, there is no story. We can't call it a news story, simply because a union has asked for an investigation.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:28 AM

@Cambo

We still disagree, but that's okay. :)

June 8, 2016 @ 9:36 AM

@Cambo

It's protocol for the Union to investigate, just the SIU in Toronto investigates when a police officer shoots a civilian. It's a mechanism in the system of justice that has to be followed.

Alleged sordid "affairs" between coworkers are not news. It is gossip and innuendo. Further, this is a situation that happens ALL the time in other organizations yet it barely gets a mention in the media. I wonder..is that because this time it actually personally affected the media staff directly? It's the same type of showboating that happened when CHCH laid people off. Look at us, it's unfair, we're now martyrs ignoring hundreds of thousands of people have been lost their jobs by no fault of their own.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:46 AM

The media is not the same as Acme Corp or another organization. The media is the fourth estate.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:48 AM

Irv

The media is the fourth estate *LOL*. OK, now I KNOW it's your media buddies injecting this shit in your head Mike.

So you're telling me the National Post presents a fair & unbiased account of Justin Trudeau? Are you telling me The Star & company present a "fair & balanced" view of the energy industry or Kathleen Wynne? Or that NOW Magazine presents a fair & balanced view of the Toronto Police Service? Is media impartial when a Rogers Radio station has "Breaking News" that one of it's other entities made some programming change.

The media IS JUST LIKE ACME Corp & THAT is the fucking problem.

June 8, 2016 @ 10:03 AM

@Irv

You're missing the point. When there are severe ethics issues at Canada's largest newspaper, it's not the same thing as severe ethics issues at Widgets N' Stuff.

June 8, 2016 @ 10:05 AM

Irv

Funny..just saw this on Facebook. Two interesting comments.

Paul Martin Allegations from someone who committed suicide.....let's keep that in mind before we throw those managers under the bus.

Suicide is not the act of someone in good mental health.....so any allegations needs to be looked into - and not taken at face value.
Like · Reply · 2 · 12 mins

Fiona Rose Lamb
Fiona Rose Lamb I have worked in book and newspaper publishing and I found the newspaper environment toxic. I hated it. It was like going back in time and not a good time. Book publishing was so much better but it did not pay as well.

June 8, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

Irv

"You're missing the point. When there are severe ethics issues at Canada's largest newspaper, it's not the same thing as severe ethics issues at Widgets N' Stuff"

You really just said that?

June 8, 2016 @ 10:09 AM

Argie

What about DiManno's tweets last night? Threatening to rip someone's throat out - not to mention her liberal use of the f-word.

I suppose the bosses at the Star are Ok with that. After all, as long its not racist, homophobic or misogynist, she's safe.

June 8, 2016 @ 1:20 PM

@Argie

I saw that and had a good laugh. If those were someone else's words she'd be going nuclear on them. There are people claiming that if it was a male saying it police would be on their way. Not likely.

I read the entire exchange and I think it's just indicative of too many journalist types. Too many journalists are thin skinned whiny fuckers. They've no trouble "asking the hard questions" to others ,but they go ape shit when someone asks them the hard questions. But it has little to do with right or left. Ezra Levant is a right wing example. I've seen hackers go at him & the first thing he does is block them or report them. On the internet that's the equivalent of being a "whiny pussy".

As for The Star being OK with it, perhaps The Star appreciates the attention it will bring. It's no secret that industry is in it's death throes. Why not add a little controversy in the hopes it will bring some needed attention to the media. It's like "accidentally" releasing a sex tape.

June 8, 2016 @ 1:49 PM

Jaimie

Let me just say that I believe Mr. Filson is currently separated--very different from being married. You can't betray someone you are in the process of divorcing. I have no idea about Ms. Davenport's situation.

Either way you are correct that there is a story here but it is a sad one and the messages found within it are the following:

- Men and women in positions of power have a responsibility. Yes, definitely.
- Heartbreak is devastating and if feels like the pain is unbearable
- Ethical behaviour at work is paramount but things do happen. How many workplaces have encountered this problem? And how many places deal with it quietly and appropriately? This would include letting people go if they acted inappropriately.
- This is a sad situation for everyone involved. Why speculate further about a situation where one person died and another person lost his job? These are horrible events.
- A talented woman is gone; the world is now missing her many gifts because she saw no other solution to a workplace problem. Her actions were tragic, but extreme, and calculated to damage others in the process of damaging herself.

Let's try not to blame people who, because of the devastating action of one woman, will never be able to state their side of the story without encountering bias. There are no winners here.

June 8, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

Argie

@Irv
There's a huge difference between what Rosie tweeted (threatening with the f word) and Ezra blocking someone. Blocking someone who disagrees with you is quite common among journalists. I should know, I've been blocked by too many to count.

June 8, 2016 @ 3:32 PM

@Argie

Either way, you're either a troll or your not. The definition of an internet "pussy" is someone that dishes out strong opinions to someone, then blocks or has their account deleted for "harassment". That's DiManno through and through. Then there are the types who have much to say, cower under an alias and lock up their social media accounts unwilling to answer your queries.

I'll give DiManno some credit. She didn't hide behind an alias. That's better than most of the internet (and frankly most of this blog).

June 8, 2016 @ 4:19 PM

Walt Cronkite

Here's the news:

We report what will works best for us, not the viewer. We show them what should be right so they believe it, and in-turn helps us look stronger. If a political party helps my company with favours we will do them a solid by overlooking negative stories about said political party.

As for Toronto Star...a married man has an affair with a young journalist with mental issues and loads of talent. She falls for him. He is having psychological issues, dealing with it by having sexual relations with multiple women, including another affair with a colleague. The married man, knowing he could "get with" these women, preyed on their weaknesses for his personal gain - a trait used by many in media. He calls off the relationship, her heart breaks and her internal struggles are magnified by the breakup. She was most likely at a low point in her personal life when she got involved with this man, and he laid the dagger (not saying it's entirely his fault. He was just the last person to finish a job that already started).

People in the media industry know of others who lack stability in their personal life, yet do their job remarkably well. Hookups and cheating happen. Know who you're dealing with.

June 8, 2016 @ 4:48 PM

dale

This is a $h!t storm of which really nobody has any clue what really occurred.

The Star must have a code of conduct & compliance policy within their workplace as most workplaces do. At our co. if we have a "situation in any means" we can talk to HR about CONFIDENTIALLY & many have done. If there was any inclination of a relationship within the company HR should have asked questions even if the people involved didn't come forward.

The Star Mgt. & HR dropped the ball on this. There is more to this that what has been published.

June 8, 2016 @ 6:31 PM

Anonymous

Interesting take by Jonathan Kay in The Walrus: http://thewalrus.ca/show-us-the-suicide-note/

June 8, 2016 @ 9:15 PM

markosaar

No one has mentioned Joe Warmington's gross attempts at capitalising on this to make political points against The Star. Was genuinely surprised he could sink so low.

June 8, 2016 @ 9:41 PM

At Markosaar

So no, Warmington is an afterthought. Had people stayed in their lane and did what they were supposed to do this would not be a story.

June 9, 2016 @ 8:17 AM

@Cronkite

I agree with you on your claim that media chooses stories that suit it's bottom line & tow it's masters political line. The Star had a love affair with Jack Layton. The Post has a hate affair with Justin Trudeau. Both are wrong. The moderator makes claims of the "fourth estate" but this type of journalism has as much integrity as cigarette company science showing smoking is good for you.

@Markosaar

Be patient, in a few years the Sun will be bankrupt & Warmington will be a homeless man living in the alley behind your house.

June 9, 2016 @ 8:38 AM

Cambo

...and look how quickly this turned into just another gossip/TMZ headline.

June 9, 2016 @ 10:10 AM

Pete

Did someone say this isn't newsworthy?

The National disagrees: http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/701827139624/

June 9, 2016 @ 11:40 AM

Cambo

@Pete

Yes- I did. And I stand by that. There is no issue here other than a union called for an investigation into a suicide that seemed to have been driven by an affair (or ending of said affair) in the workplace.

Again. This kind of thing happens ALL.THE.TIME- you just don't hear about it. But because it's "The Star", somehow people think it's newsworthy.

June 9, 2016 @ 12:51 PM

@Cambo

What I thought was most newsworthy from the Post article wasn't just that the union wanted an external investigation, but that Raveena requested no obituary.

That detail wasn't in the Frank Magazine piece or all the Joe Warmington tweets. Without that detail, it really looked like the Toronto Star was covering up this death. A great deal of the smell came from the Star's refusal to write about Raveena's passing.

So learning that they were complying with Raveena's wishes was huge.

June 9, 2016 @ 1:59 PM

Cambo

@mike

So, given that- repeat after me: "There is no news story here".

;)

June 9, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

markosaar

@At Markosaar,

At Markosaar Being married and sleeping with two co-workers potentially simultaneously is sinking low. Chasing a married man regardless of his status is sinking low. Very good chance these people and the majority of the Star staff lean toward one political ideology.

That's sanctimonious bullshit, and linking it to "one political ideology" is hysterically stupid. As if right-wingers as a whole arbitrary group could possibly claim to be faithful. Do I have to list all the high profile hypocrite cheaters in that court? Fuck off.

June 9, 2016 @ 2:52 PM

Chuck99

For a gossip publication, Frank magazine is certainly gaining a reputation for accuracy. Not only was the magazine correct about this tragic story, but also reported that Ben Mulroney would eventually host the CTV morning show and were correct about the Amanda Lang departure from CBC last fall.

June 9, 2016 @ 2:57 PM

Argie

@Cambo
I agree this kind of thing happens in many offices of work around the country. What we don't see very often is a suicide resulting from said "thing". Another factor that makes it a story of interest (i.e. newsworthy) is when it occurs at The Toronto Star. Its not Bob's accounting shop, its Toronto's largest newspaper involving some somewhat high profile individuals. Just as we saw the massive focus towards the CBC during the Ghomeshi story.

I also find it ironic that the same organization that spent so much time and resources stalking Rob Ford when he was mayor are now the focus of unwanted attention. Funny that.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:09 PM

@Cambo

I suppose that depends on what is learned from the investigation.

Remember, I'm of the belief that the fourth estate is not the same as Sam's Widgets Inc. There's a different set of ethics at place as they take others to task for morality slippage.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:19 PM

Irv

The same speculation happened when Martin Streek committed suicide. The flavor of the day was to blame his firing from CFNY. I'm sure it was more than that though perhaps that was the trigger. In the end we will never know....

I don't think it's news though even if it's The Star. The Ghomeshi story was different. It was an alleged crime committed against multiple women. While technically suicide IS a crime, it's much different.

I'll speculate. Perhaps a hostile work environment played a part? We're talking about an industry in the throes of extinction. It ain't Google. That type of environment brings out the worst in people and those that wish to leave..don't have many options.

While thankfully I don't have to show up at the same office everyday I've always believed that dating & getting "personal" with coworkers is just a bad idea. There should always be that invisible wall.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:39 PM

@Irv

It's not speculation. This is from the Toronto Star's Public Editor:

Those in the highest levels of senior management at the Star have told me they have conducted a thorough internal investigation following revelations and allegations made by the reporter in emails sent to several people in the newsroom shortly before she died. Those emails revealed that Raveena and Jon Filson, the senior manager, who had led the Star’s tablet project in the past year, had been involved in a relationship for some time that had ended recently. Further, the clearly heartbroken reporter made allegations in those emails about an improper relationship between Filson and his boss, managing editor Jane Davenport.
June 9, 2016 @ 3:45 PM

@TM

So Mike, should the media have a more strict set of ethics or should it be a bit more lax? Should the military have a different set of ethics? Same for oil and gas guys, etc. etc. etc. That mindset is the reason rich white kids get 6 months for raping someone while some black guy would get deep fried and hung.

The Star is a corporation. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's line of business is MOOT in this argument.

A suicide at Sam's Widgets is the same as at the Toronto Star. Just like the death of a "Jane Creba" at a downtown shopping mall is the same as the death of "Tammy Dodginghorse" on a Native reserve.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:50 PM

@Irv

We disagree. That's cool.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:55 PM

@TM

Let me clarify Mike. So you're claiming that because this woman's recent relationship had ended with this Filson fellow the dissolution of the relationship was the cause of suicide?

One of the CARDINAL rules of investigative research, policing & forensics is to NEVER make assumptions. Doing so sets a precedent for "tunnel vision". You can hypothesize but it has to end there. Trust me, I speak from personal experience when I say making assumptions can take you down a road where you MAKE your evidence fit your story.

June 9, 2016 @ 3:56 PM

@Irv

I never, ever claimed to know why Raveena took her own life. I'm merely stating that it's not speculation that she had an affair with Filson and she was heartbroken when Filson ended the relationship. That's fact.

Whether that led her to kill herself, how could I ever know?

June 9, 2016 @ 4:00 PM

Irv

Because you replied to this comment I made

It's just speculation that this woman took her own life because of a failed relationship. It may have been a trigger but I doubt it was only a failed relationship. Perhaps cultural issues played a part? There are likely other underlying factors.,

..by saying it's not speculation. That's why I fired back at you.

That in itself is why this is not "news". It's a private matter. And even if he used his power & status to "influence" her, attempt to control her, etc, it's still not news. If having an affair and being ugly about it was illegal then it wouldn't have been hackers who took down Ashley Madison, it would have been police.

And let's assume The Star had a set of guidelines on how staff have should behave. For it to be enforced someone would have to approach HR and complain. Did they? Do we know that? And any thinking person knows approaching HR with an issue about your manager is very difficult. It's even more difficult when you're a woman & a sexual relationship is involved. I'm not saying that's RIGHT but I am saying it's the reality.

The Star obliged her wishes. They shut the fuck up about it. The rest of the media didn't. It's fucking disgusting. They KNEW what would happen if they started talking about it. It would blow up. And it would be good for click bait. Now her wish to keep her death private has become a national topic of conversation.

Rob Ford once said "media are maggots". Ya know what? Just maybe he was right.

June 9, 2016 @ 4:23 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Christie Blachford made a good point on the Newstalk 1010 morning Roundtable.
The Star went after the CBC for their failure to act on Ghomeshi, and possibly they find themselves now in the same position, and don't like the light shining on them.

June 10, 2016 @ 7:09 AM

Cambo

@Rick

HUGE difference between this and the Ghomeshi thing, Rick.

The CBC/Ghomeshi was covering up a potential legal issue- this was not. The Star was complying with Raveena's wishes in not writing about her death from her own letter.

Completely 100% different situations.

June 10, 2016 @ 7:26 AM

@Cambo

The "Cover up" of Ghomeshi of was the cover up of a potential criminal act. So far we've seen no evidence in the Raveena situation.

Frankly I'm not sure why 1010 would even include Blatchford. She's from a rival media chain which competes against The Star. It's difficult to imagine her opinion isn't biased. It's like asking Terence Corcoran to speak on behalf of the merits of socialism.

June 10, 2016 @ 8:14 AM