Muhammad Ali, Dead at 74

Muhammad AliMuhammad Ali was 74. Nicknamed "The Greatest," he held the heavyweight title a record three times, and Sports Illustrated named him the top sportsman of the 20th century.

He became a symbol for black liberation during the 1960s as he stood up to the U.S. government by refusing to go into the Army for religious reasons.

As I wrote on his 70th birthday, there are only a handful of athletes who manage to transcend their respective sports to become true global icons. Muhammad Ali tops that list.

ali

ali2

Jamie

RIP G.O.A.T...

June 4, 2016 @ 12:24 PM

dale

Ali was the most recognizable person on earth as per most media articles. He changed sports not only in Boxing but others with his demeanor, at times brash but overwhelming. Was voted top sportsman of the century by Sporting News.

His beliefs & promotion about humanitarian equality throughout the world is his most important victory. Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela & John Lennon all promoted World PEACE.

An Icon of the World.

June 4, 2016 @ 12:58 PM

Blind Dave

RIP.

I don't usually look up to athletes outside of their athletic ability, but Ali is one of the exceptions.

June 4, 2016 @ 12:59 PM

Irv

@Dale

Promoted peace? Impossible, he was a Muslim! therefore clearly he was a terrorist bomber that hates all women.

June 4, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

anon

@ Dale

Most recognizable person according to the media. Tell that to the millenials who probably never even heard of Ali, & Y should they, he wasn't in the news until today.

& yes the tributes will poor in from all over the word & yes Ali will be the #1 trend on google.

Maybe that will be a good thing so the youth can read & learn what REAL GREATNESS means.

Take a look at that photo of Jim Brown, Kareem, Bill Russell, & Ali protesting the Vietnam War. U think any of these sports athletes would do the same. Didn't see anyone protesting the invasion of Iraq.

Some of us do something with our lives, others just watch.

June 4, 2016 @ 3:34 PM

dale

@ anon

Your comment is pure BS. WHO ON EARTH hasn't heard about Muhammed Ali. What do U do with your life?
U must be a Watcher.

June 4, 2016 @ 4:50 PM

Irv

@Dale

My first question is how old are you? There is an entire generation of Canadians who have no idea who Ali is outside of the "Wasn't he a boxer or something". Just like there were older folks who have no idea who Gord Downie was.

@Anon: The reason modern athlete's don't speak their mind is likely for their own safety. Back in the day if you spoke out some people just hated you. Today, you face much much worse. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks after the Bush comment. The Dixie Chicks are the biggest punk band in the last 25 years. They spoke their mind and they pushed back. The result was their careers ended, they had thousands of death and rape threats & had bomb threats when they played stadium shows. Reimer lost a game, had no social media, so the goons went at his wife. They threatened to rape her 300 times & published her cell phone number online. She received hundreds of threatening phone calls and texts. All because he LOST A FUCKING HOCKEY GAME.

This is the world we made. You can't blame people for putting their own personal safety first.

June 4, 2016 @ 7:58 PM

I believe the primary reason modern athletes don't take stands on issues these days is that doing so compromises shoe sales.

June 4, 2016 @ 8:02 PM

Irv

Of course image management is part of it Mike, but personal safety plays a big factor. This is especially true in the United States which is dangerously politically polarized. Even the most bland "celebrities" have issues. And they don't just go after you Mike, they go after your family & anyone that's a friend or associate of you.

Example: Mark Zuckerberg, a geeky guy with hardly any opinions on anything outside of Facebook.

Facebook has spent more than $16 MILLION on Mark Zuckerberg's security in just 5 years due to 'specific threats' - and $1.2 million a year on COO Sheryl Sandberg
Facebook revealed security expenses for the first time on Wednesday
Mark Zuckerberg had $5m security in 2015, $6.2m in 2014, $3.3m in 2013
Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO, had $1.2m spent on security in 2015
It's higher than other firms: Apple's Tim Cook had $209,000 security in 2015
Zuckerberg, who is worth $35.7bn, has ,b>16 bodyguards at his $10m home
The firm claims 'specific threats' have been made against him

Mike, I want you to imagine that Ali was his outspoken self in this day and age. A BLACK MUSLIM man speaking out against the US Government & Military. Fuck, I couldn't even imagine.

You want a couple of modern examples of outspoken people who are public? Check out @deray, the leader of black lives matter. He's running to be mayor of Baltimore. Or, try James McGibney, the man who started Bullyville. He publicly admits he will not sit with his back to the door & carries a weapon. His website is against..bullying.

Welcome to 2016. #ThanksForThePaycheque

June 4, 2016 @ 9:00 PM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

Muhammad Ali:

Rumble, young man. Rumble.

June 5, 2016 @ 1:11 AM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

@Irv
The fear you obviously have of Muslims is unfounded. Yes of course there are radicals in that religion, but I believe that this is because Islam is the only religion in the world that is actually growing anymore. As the world generally moves on from organized religion (and the terrorists it can occasionally create), I wonder if it is mere coincidence that, according to international studies, violence, worldwide, is slowly declining.

Disenchanted, disheartened, disenfranchised and frankly, aimless people from all over the world are becoming attracted to a perversion of Islam (ISIS)that is disavowed by decent Muslims everywhere.

Radical religious terrorism has a long history. Google the Crusades, or the IRA for that matter. And I would like to point out, I was born a Christian, although I don't consider myself a religious person.

Fear breeds hatred. Acceptance and tolerance are strengths, not weakness. Hatred is a wasted emotion that elects people like Adolph Hitler (yes, he was elected).

June 5, 2016 @ 2:08 AM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

Oh, by the way, The Dixie Chicks are a country band, not a punk band. It's not wonder they were blacklisted by the country music establishment for their stand against George Bush's war. Country music artists are not allowed to have an opinion, they are simply expected to wave the flag.

June 5, 2016 @ 2:52 AM

Irv

Toneman. I was being facetious about the Muslim comment. And punk is not a form of music so much as An attitude. The Dixie Chicks were definitely punk.

And it turned out they were right too

June 5, 2016 @ 10:13 AM

Jay

Anyone remember who sang that Black Superman song about Ali. Think it came out about the same time as Chuck Berry's My Ding-a-ling.

June 5, 2016 @ 1:25 PM

@Jay

It was Johnny Wakelin.

June 5, 2016 @ 1:27 PM

Jody Thornton

@TM

My first 45-rpm disc too. Mom bought it for me in 1975.

June 5, 2016 @ 9:51 PM

mrmojorisinca

heard on the radio this morning..
Jordan was once asked about backing a politician who was running against a known racist . and he basically said don't "republicans buy shoes too"

June 6, 2016 @ 10:44 AM

Elephant

I met his brother on a cruise ship once. The guy was actually introduced to me as "Muhammad Ali's brother" -- I had to ask his name. (Also an "Ali" -- he converted too, presumably). He was so welcoming of people talking to him about his brother that I started to think this was just some guy pretending to be Ali's brother to get attention. Nope -- I looked him up on the internet, found his picture, and it was, indeed, the guy I was talking to. If I were him I'd be sick of being asked about my famous brother, but he was generous and spoke of his brother with pride.

June 6, 2016 @ 2:28 PM

@Elephant

That would have been Rahman Ali, also a boxer.

June 6, 2016 @ 2:31 PM

Cassius Clay

I was a better fighter before the name change. Then I got gift decisions in fights. But hey, I'll take it...

June 6, 2016 @ 3:51 PM

What a useless comment. What's the point?

June 6, 2016 @ 3:57 PM

The Voice of Reason

Ali was a better person than a fighter.

I wonder though how his shtick would fly today though. The way he berated Smoking Joe Frazier would have had him loathed by today's political correct "press".

June 6, 2016 @ 4:01 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Without a doubt, but times have changed. There are lots of things said in the past that wouldn't be acceptable today.

I was playing some Bobby Curtola yesterday, and came across Indian Giver.

June 6, 2016 @ 4:04 PM