Bobby Curtola, Dead at 73

Bobby CurtolaBobby Curtola was 73. He was a teen idol in Canada during the early 1960s, best known for the singles Fortune TellerĀ and Aladdin.

Dingo

How come Humble and Fred fired Eileen Ross.

June 6, 2016 @ 8:23 PM

@Dingo

This is why I have Open Mikes, to catch comments like this one. Take it here: http://www.torontomike.com/2016/06/open_mike_71.html

June 6, 2016 @ 9:13 PM

Cheryl

I never even heard of this singer. That's the honest truth.

June 7, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

James Edgar

I've heard of him. That's the first time i've heard that song though. I think My sisters who were teenagers in the early 60's liked him.

June 7, 2016 @ 12:09 PM

Elephant

@ Cheryl

I think he's someone whose name hasn't survived his era very well. I'd never heard of him either until working on a book about fifteen years ago and his name came up. I was born in 1970 but listened to a lot of 50s and 60s music, so that I didn't know the name said something. I asked my dad, though, and he listed about 8 or 9 Bobby Curtola songs. So ... I guess if you were there, you know him, if you weren't there, the name likely means nothing.

I'm trying to think of a comparable name from "my" era, the 80s. I suppose Nik Kershaw would be an example. He was big in the mid-80s, but if you asked anyone born after 1985, my guess is you'd get a lot of "never heard of hims."

June 7, 2016 @ 1:16 PM

chuck99

It was amazing that his songs got so much airplay on Canadian radio, because in the early 1960s, there were no CanCon regulations. Radio stations could play 100% U.S. or British Invasion music.
One of his early 60s hits would never be played today, even on an oldies show, because the title would be considered derogatory toward native North Americans. (Indian Giver).

June 7, 2016 @ 4:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

One of my dad's past girlfriends knew his family in Thunder Bay, there was a pretty tight Italian community back in the 40's and 50's up there.

June 7, 2016 @ 7:30 PM