Prince, Dead at 57

PrincePrince was 57. He pioneered "the Minneapolis sound" and took on the music industry in his fight for creative freedom. He won seven Grammy Awards, and has earned 30 nominations. Five of his singles have topped the charts and 14 other songs hit the Top 10. He won an Oscar for the original song score to the classic film "Purple Rain."

purplerain

Al The Royal Pain

What a huge loss to music.

April 21, 2016 @ 1:43 PM

Clefto

Bowie, Weiland, Haggard, Lemmy, and now PRINCE?

It's official. God hates music.

April 21, 2016 @ 1:50 PM

Steve

I would die 4 U (acoustic cover)

April 21, 2016 @ 2:05 PM

Here's Chris Cornell's cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U:

And my personal favourite, When Doves Cry:

April 21, 2016 @ 2:08 PM

markosaar

TPOH's take on When Doves Cry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAKSQ3NQO8

Prince is something I somehow almost completely missed. I don't even know Purple Rain off-hand. Only songs I could recall besides the TPOH cover are 1999 and like ... Batdance. And I'm learning now that apparently Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2 U was Prince too.

April 21, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

prince fan

He was sick last week with the flu. Did he have a flu shot? What was his medical prognosis.

April 21, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

Not a prince fan

He was a Jehovahs Witness who hated gay people too.

April 21, 2016 @ 3:08 PM

mrmojorisinca

I have a feeling he knew he was sick, and that why he started doing this recent tour and announcing shows the day of.

April 21, 2016 @ 3:10 PM

Ryan G

@Clefto - or perhaps God loves music, and he's a selfish prick who wants all these musicians to himself so we can't hear them anymore.

That's right folks, I just called God a prick.

(cue lightning to strike me down)

..waiting..

...waiting..

Nope. That settles it then.
THERE IS NO GOD!

April 21, 2016 @ 3:34 PM

Argie

'The Beautiful Ones' is a great under-rated song. .

April 21, 2016 @ 3:44 PM

Ryan G

@Argie - Agreed.

I also recall having disturbing visuals whenever I heard Darling Nikki, considering her affinity towards magazines....which in turn automatically makes me think of that that scene in Alien where the android rolls up a magazine to try and kill Ellen Ripley.

April 21, 2016 @ 3:50 PM

Anonymous

Prince had AIDS.

April 21, 2016 @ 4:22 PM

John M.

For a while, Prince lived in Toronto.

R.I.P.

April 21, 2016 @ 4:32 PM

Jody Thornton

No @Anonymous, there is no validation of that at all. Why does that crap get started?

April 21, 2016 @ 4:33 PM

@John M.

Yes! In the Bridle Path. He loved it here.

April 21, 2016 @ 4:34 PM

art history 101

Re Prince and Gays.

Picasso was a great artist. And a bastard to many women. Do I focus on his great art or his being a bastard to women? If I'm going to focus on the latter I should also focus on everybody else in that category. And why would I waste my time doing that?

Prince was a great artist.

April 21, 2016 @ 6:04 PM

dale

Rock & Roll heaven sadly just got a new member.
Bowie, Frey, Haggard, Lemmy & now Prince.

I can't wait to see their concert when I get there.

Another Icon gone. RIP

April 21, 2016 @ 6:36 PM

andrew

@Mike

Prince vs. Charlie Murphy TERRIBLE & you seem to be mocking an ICON with your comment.
I know its in fun but not at this time.

I'm not really a Prince fan, but gotta give him a lot of credit for what music is today.

April 21, 2016 @ 8:12 PM

@andrew

You're kidding, right?

That's like my favourite Chappelle skit and it makes Prince sound awesome.

April 21, 2016 @ 8:19 PM

Irv

With due respect to Prince as an artist, I think this reaction to his death is, like it always is with celebrity, overblown.

I decided to turn on FM radio driving home today. Over the course of 90 minutes I heard a variety of FM radio stations "mourning" the loss of this great icon. Except for the past 25 years NONE of those stations have given a single fuck about his music. They don't play his new music. They don't play his old music. They don't mention him. And if he came out as an artist today none of them would play him because he doesn't fit the format. Exactly the same thing happened with Lemmy. Oh the tears except how often does your local rock station play Motorhead? And IF they do it's one song: Ace of Spades.

When I was jogging in the gym EBro on Beats1 (Apple's radio station) did an hour long set of his music. A good portion were non hits. That's a fitting tribute from a man (Ebro) who has committed his life to urban/black music. And Beats1 is a station where you would expect something like that. It's radio dedicated to music not formats.

I know radio people read this. Here's a hint. If you're not playing the artist when he dies, then say "This person died" and move on. Don't tell us how sorry you are, etc, etc, etc. It's like someone showing up at Grandma's funeral with roses yet they haven't even called her in 25 years. #Pathetic.

April 21, 2016 @ 8:43 PM

fourteen

YouTube, Prince, R&R HofF, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Prince lifts off at ~ 3:00 min. mark.

April 21, 2016 @ 8:52 PM

Anon&on

If you haven't heard the Kevin Smith talk about his Prince documentary, now's the time. Goes well with the Charlie Murphy sketch.

April 21, 2016 @ 10:06 PM

Irv

@Jody

The AIDS rumour has persisted for years. Prince was known for wild sex parties in the 80's which was ground sex for contracting HIV. Whether or not he was HIV positive (and today you can live a normal life) I doubt it was the cause of his death. He apparently died in an elevator so it was something that struck quickly.

April 22, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

elvis

Everyone who dies in an elevator dies quickly.

April 22, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

Irv

@Elvis

Incorrect: A woman in China died in an elevator after the power was cut off. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3f2aac137e254c24b53519b947d88bfb/chinese-woman-dies-elevator-power-improperly-cut

April 22, 2016 @ 8:45 PM

Larry

Millhouse: "This is what it feels like when doves cry".

April 23, 2016 @ 11:29 AM

no idea

Listening to Van Jones being interviewed. I had no idea what a HUGE humanitarian Prince was. Time, effort, resources, to help individuals and community organizations. I had no idea.

April 23, 2016 @ 11:58 AM