Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

The Voice of Reason

Thank you, Bill Clinton, for speaking the undeniable truth about Black Lives Matter.

The problem with this organization is they celebrate black, young male criminals--mostly gang members and drug pushers-- who are destroying black communities, while placing the blame on whites.

April 8, 2016 @ 8:28 AM

Anonymous

This.....
Thursday afternoon. 2:55pm. Q107.
Duran Duran. Hungry Like The Wolf.
The Mighty has fallen.
I took a pic of my car stereo with the Frequency and song info because I couldn't believe it. Then I saw that someone else mentioned it on the yellow board. I guess Boom's numbers are making a huge impact.

Also....
Desmond Cole. Your 15 minutes have expired. One trick pony. Why are Bendixen and The Star giving him a platform. Most commenters on NewsTalk are intelligent (the left and right leaning ones), but Desmond spews nonsense without any facts.
See reference to Clinton's comments above.

That is all.

April 8, 2016 @ 8:46 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Anonymous

I sympathize with your argument. I do. But at the same time, we can't have a casual attitude about drug use. Legal or not, they can be addictive and harmful dosages can ruin a child's brain or body for life.

You might say it's the exception, not the rule. OK, fair enough. But then what about legal drugs that we already regulate? Shouldn't those be unregulated too? Just how far are you willing to take legalization? Should we just open up the entire Pandora's box on chemical alterations of the body?

How about legalization of quack medications, and improperly manufactured imports with no quality control screening? How about... brace yourself... legalization of tobacco in all its forms for all ages?

This issue is not so simple as legalization of illicit drugs. It's about consistency in law related to all chemical substances. We shouldn't have special rules for some drugs simply because we find them recreationally interesting. I'm sorry but we just can't.

I'm open to counter argument, but even more interested if you see some truth to any part of what I just described.

Thank you fellow citizen for your thoughts.

April 8, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Q107 sucks now! I had some hope when they started playing some newer stuff, but that didn't last long. Honestly I think Q107's best bet would be flipping back to the hard rock/pure rock format they had going in the 90's. That's when Q was the best.

April 8, 2016 @ 9:27 AM

Ryan G/hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

@Anonymous. re: Duran Duran. I find that extremely amusing.

When I was in high school in the mid to late 80's, there were the Q107 kids, the hip hop kids (don't think there was a station for those poor bastards) and then there were the CFNY kids. I was in the latter group, and we were a small but mighty force. We were a little quirky, and a somewhat creative bunch who listened to "weird" music.

The Q kids would make fun of our eclectic ways, and we'd mock their construction boots (with jeans tucked in) and lumber jackets. Musically we were a thousand miles apart, as were the radio stations we listened to. At the high school dances they wanted classic rock and due to sheer numbers, that's predominantly what was heard. But, my finest moment came when I made it to the student council exec in grade 13, and I booked the cfny video roadshow, much to the chagrin of the Q kids. Marty Streek was spinning the wheels of steel and David Marsden was the host.

It was my finest hour.

April 8, 2016 @ 9:34 AM

Rob J

How did Cheryl's teams do? It's a busy time with all six in action these days.

April 8, 2016 @ 9:44 AM

Argie

@Ryan
I would be of similar age to you. In that same time, I remember getting into a heated argument with guy at party over the type of music that should be played. I wanted U2 and buddy wanted The English Beat. Needless to say I won that debate as U2 is the biggest and arguable best band in the world. Not sure whatever became of the other "band".

Thankfully the argument didn't get physical - as I would have felt bad about hitting a guy who was wearing make-up.

April 8, 2016 @ 9:47 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Yes Argie, you are that guy from high school. Most certainly we would have clashed, and although I didn't wear make up, I would have just to piss you off.

And, we wouldn't have to resort to a lame hallway scrap because we'd settle our differences on the athletic field. See, I played both on both the rugby team and the football team, which would have confused you since it conflicted with your neanderthal like views.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:02 AM

Irv

Re: Q107

That's not surprising at all. Q107 Calgary & Rock 101 Vancouver both added Duran Duran, Platinum Blonde & others 80's style pop to their playlists in 2015. The tag line for Q107 in Calgary is "great hits & real classic rock". In fact the Calgary morning show sort of has that "80's" sound now.

Truth is, if you go look back at the history of Q107 you'll see they played the entire spectrum of rock. I can remember them playing Walking on Sunshine & Huey Lewis & the News in the Top 10 at 10. And I remember driving in my car near Snelgrove and hearing this song on Q107.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:17 AM

The Voice of Reason

Transparency and Accountability is what got this Government elected on, oh and weed of course.

Hypocrisy of semantics, glad I seen it coming and didn't vote for it. Disappointing to live in a country so easily swindled.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:25 AM

Argie

@Ryan
Goodness, gracious! You peg me wrong. I was a tweener - I liked some of the CFNY stuff and some of the Q stuff. As for being Neanderthal, I was a honour student and played on soccer, basketball and volleyball teams most years. However, I guess wasn't tough enough for rugby though.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:34 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Argie

You are debating a person who's "finest hour" was in high school. I have learned that those "past living dwellers" really cannot relate to what is happening in the now.

Good Luck

April 8, 2016 @ 10:42 AM

Cheryl

Not first again, but don't care actually. My Habs won last night the second last game. That's great. Just one more game and no playoffs. My Coyotes didn't win their second last game though. That's too bad. My Suns won so that's great. My Orioles won. How about those Orioles and Manny Machado homers and Joey Rickard homers. He's a new guy. My Orioles are undefeated. On the other hand, my Diamondbacks lost. That's no good. They only won one game.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:47 AM

Ryan G/hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

It is quite interesting how radio has changed overall, yet it seems to have survived and perhaps even thrived in some markets, especially compared to traditional television. Not long ago I was speaking to a radio executive and asked him his thoughts on the state of his business, prompting him by asking if he remembered the infamous Buggles song, Video Killed The Radio Star. He laughed and responded by saying that radio is quite healthy because it has carved out such a niche and still has that local, personal connection.

I predominantly only listen to radio in the car and when getting ready in the morning. Other than that, it's spotify, spinning my own tunes or for background music around the house, the chill lounge music channel on tv.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:48 AM

Irv

@"Voice of Reason"

The number 1 reason cannabis should be legalized is because it's used as a currency for the purchase of "hard drugs". Let me explain

BC grown weed is used as a currency in import cocaine (for the mfg of crack) along with other drugs & chemicals to make meth. BC bud fetches a very good price in the US market (up to $600 dollars per oz versus $200-250 in Canada). So essentially organized crime uses a barter system & the long, winding BC coastline & occasional tunnel.

The reason they use a barter system is because of something called the IRS $10,000 rule. All transactions in the USA over $10,000 are reported to the IRS. This makes laundering money very difficult. Further, the RICO act allows anyone who is just ASSOCIATED with organized crime to have their assets seized.

So the drug dealers trade in bulk, distribute & then sell for cash on the street. The smaller levels of cash become more difficult to trace.

I don't know if you know much about the Lower Mainland in BC, but as far as crime goes, it wins the "gold" crown for crime. It's also why so many cities around the Vancouver area have such high crime rates. Look at the city of Surrey. I can't recall the exact number as it was a few years ago, but the crime "solve" rate was something like 20%. The reason is simple: locals are scared to report crime because they'll become the next victim. No one wants another Surrey 6.

Make that currency legal & it puts a serious dent in the whole program. Sure, organized crime will find a way around it, but you're limiting their options & that makes business more difficult.

As for the whole "ban drugs" thing well Fentanyl is a best example of why that doesn't work. The drug of choice for many for years was Oxycotin. When the copyright on the drug expired (allowing companies to make copies) the production volume crashed. With no Oxy on the streets..addicts found Fentanyl. Look at the result. The amount of death & destruction from this drug is shocking.

And while it's rarely mentioned in media, the number 1 "demographic" for drug abuse is actually middle class white men. They've turned to substance abuse in huge numbers. Researchers call it the Great White Fright. Again, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, drug addiction does not discriminate.

The current solution isn't working.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:53 AM

RyanG/hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Hey voice of reason - get sarcasm much?

Argie - you brought up something that smelled of homophobia to me, and that's simply not cool.

But let's not quarrel.

I'm not here to debate or fight anyone and won't be drawn into one. I too liked U2 when they were young and raw and pissed off. Could be wrong, but CFNY was the first station to play them locally. And despite your snark VOR, that dream academy track is an outstanding song.

April 8, 2016 @ 10:53 AM

Argie

@Ryan
Hey it was the 80s and you didn't have to be gay to wear makeup. I just thought it was odd.

I agree 102.1 many times was the first station to play up and coming bands like U2 but god forbid if those bands became successful and started playing stadium show. All hell would break lose among the devotees of CFNY and anyone who dared to say "hey I like that new band U2..."

You must admit there was a certain snobbery among CNFY listeners, no?

April 8, 2016 @ 11:00 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Irv

Interesting example, because I have lived in Portugal (Lisbon specifically). You really shouldn't quote stats without normalizing them first (e.g. compared to other countries where drug use rates have also been declining because of cultural and generational trends).

If you want to talk about stats, look at the Portuguese economy. It's in the tank. I don't blame that on drug culture per se, but a culture that is permissive about drug use isn't going to reap the benefits of a population that doesn't have such a high rate of drug use (still around 25-30% for all Portuguese between ages 15 and 64).

But this all has nothing to do with what I was talking about. What I was talking about is legal normalization. If we make recreational drugs legal, on what basis do we regulate any other substance? Please tell me.

April 8, 2016 @ 11:04 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

You see Argie, we can both play nicely in the sandbox as Mike proudly watches his online children get along from the lonely end of the playground.

I will admit that the male makeup thing was unusual, but it didn't bother me at all. To me it was simply expression. My older brother was one of those guys who'd do it, but only for effect when we'd go out to a bar that played cfny style music, and there weren't many (The Cotton Club in Markham was our only suburban oasis!). But I suspect it's largely a tribal thing. Goths would all look the same, as would rockers. I remember one time we decided to check out Nuts and Bolts, which is now history of course. I was told it was this gloomy cave-like horror house full of punks and vampires. It was, and it was fabulous. But I specifically remember intentionally wearing a white shirt the night we went. It was my way of rebelling against the rebels.

I will also admit that there was snobbery among cfny types. It's sort of like people really, really into Indie music - they're so Indie they're listing to bands that don't exist yet.

April 8, 2016 @ 11:19 AM

Argie

@Ryan
I spent many nights at the Jolly Miller. It was a bit preppy but the they'd serve anyone and you wouldn't see many Goths or lumber-jack wearing stoners there.

April 8, 2016 @ 11:35 AM

Irv

@Ryan/Argie

The "male makeup" thing was more common in the whole hair metal scene than it was for Smith fans. Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison, etc, all wore makeup (and lots of it). And used curling irons & copious amounts of hairspray to boot.

@VoR. The government is talking about the legalization of ONE recreational drug. It's not advocating the legalization of all recreational drugs.

And with regards to "highest" drug use exactly what drugs? Are you referring to illegal drugs or does that include pharma? And does it include alcohol? Different drugs are more common in different regions. Heroin is very common in the Middle East (so much for the Qu'ran). It's likely the proximity of poppy fields. In the USA it's legal pharma. The UK wins for heavy drinking. I can't break down those details because I can't remember every detail.

Cannabis use in Canada is normalized. Canada has a very high per capita use of cannabis. We're already there. We're just not reaping the benefits of legalization (taxes, control, decrease in crime).

As for those stats, well I'd love to share them with you but I don't have access to those databases anymore ;-). I walk a nice tight line around anything to do with federal or national police data. It's my admiration for "freedom".

April 8, 2016 @ 11:41 AM

Ryan G

Good point Irv!

April 8, 2016 @ 12:00 PM

Irv

@Ryan

I agree there was a sort of "rock snob" attitude among CFNY listeners. They possessed the same holier-than-thou attitude that some classic rock fans had. It was definitely prevalent in the 80's and through the 90s. I can remember so many people who had a fucking hard on over Tool or all things Radiohead. That's transformed into what we call "hipster" culture now.

Growing up I was a fan of most music. I was big into metal (original Metallica & Iron Maiden) but I also liked Duran Duran & the "original" sounds of CFNY (pre 1987). And I liked pop music. Music radio was far more "wide bodied" back in the day. I remember as a kid listening to KEZE Spokane Best Rock. They'd play Duran Duran back to back with Ronnie James Dio. It was all "rock" music to them I suppose. It's only the narrow strict format of FM radio that make Duran Duran unacceptable next to Bon Jovi.

I don't listen to FM radio anymore, I prefer Apple's Beats 1. It doesn't really have a format. I'm especially a big fan of eBro, the PM drive guy on Beats 1. His first day he came out of the gate with Nas - New York State of Mind. I was immediately hooked. If I want to listen to a specific format it's SiriusXM. I actually prefer radio without a format.

April 8, 2016 @ 12:04 PM

Ben V

@ Voice of Reason: hahaha of course you don't blame that on drug use per se, but then make that audacious statement about an economy with less drug use vs. one with high drug use.

Portugal's situation is because they can't raise money on the open market. Best return rate they can get is 2%, when the IMF is charging them 4% on their loan.

As for drug use in Portugal, it continues to drop since everything was decriminalized. Also the term drug use needs to be defined as whether or not someone has the occasional joint or has tried something vs. people who are hooked on heroin.

In terms of regulation, weed is hardly on the same level as crack... Last I checked no one was having any real conversation about that here.

April 8, 2016 @ 12:38 PM

The Voice of Reason

With Ruben Studdard and Kelly Clarkson on hand for the American Idol finale, the buffet in the green room must have been epic.

April 8, 2016 @ 12:49 PM

m m

I just want to add to the kudos on the Ron MacLean podcast. I really enjoyed that talk, even though I'm not a hockey fan any more. Ron is an really interesting person, even outside his day job.

Also, it's Ok to like metal and alternative and hiphop at the same time. Even jazz and other music from all the continents and languages! Those who crave good music will find find in many places. Not all is good, you have to be picky.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:18 PM

GUNTer

@Voice of Reason
har har what a fucking knee slapper.
Fat-Shaming it really isnt funny.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:19 PM

Ryan G

I too quiet enjoyed the Maclean podcast, which is actually the first one I listened to. I think one of Mike's secrets is that he disarms these high profile personalities with a charming, nice guy personality, good questions and a less formal home-based setup that relaxes them.

That and free beer.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:26 PM

Ryan G

My spelling is fucking atrocious today.

Apalogies.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:27 PM

James Edgar

Growing up in the 70's in Mississauga we too had our musical differences. Mostly it was "Rockers" vs "Discos" rockers was pretty inclusive then, Heavy Blues ,Rock, Hard Rock, Punk ,Heavy metal all forms welcome.

Then as now Disco sucked and we were kind of willing to fight about it. :) Still kind of am :)

We never actually did fight of course but the usual male ego crap did happen.

Radio was less fragmented as well. the first time I heard the sex pistols was on Q107. which by about 1980 was not happening.

I listened to Q and CFNY, which do to it's early low wattage transmitter wasn't always clear.

I listen to 590 am 820 am and CBC radio for the most part the odd time i'm listening in the car. Mostly it's my music off my phone or MP3's. I'm probably missing out on some new stuff but I'm ok with that.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

@Ryan G

I'm surprised episode 165 was your first episode. You have some catching up to do.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/cant_miss_toronto_miked_episodes.html

And thanks to everyone with the kind words about the Ron MacLean episode. It was a true pleasure chatting with him.

April 8, 2016 @ 1:48 PM

Michael

Looking for an afternoon talk radio station...can't stand either the 640 or 1010 options...any suggestions?

April 8, 2016 @ 2:54 PM

Douglas

@Ryan G - Until 93.5 came on the air, the hip hop crowd had a decent signal to listen on 93.5 - WBLK, licensed to Depew, NY (SE suburb of Buffalo). With 93.5 on the air, you need an above average receiving radio to listen to 93.5 cleanly.

By the way, your spelling is fine. It's your typoing that needs to be worked on!

April 8, 2016 @ 3:40 PM

Ryan G

@Douglas..ya, sometimes I type too fast me thinks, because I'm actually a pretty decent speller..in fact, in school there was a competition and I was the Grade 8 spelling champ! (I was in grade 13 at the time but don't tell anyone)

April 8, 2016 @ 3:59 PM

dale

I'm surprised NOBODY talking about Jays home opener. This year or bust, Jose & Edwin probably leaving after this year, but who knows.

Q107 has really changed format the the last week or so trying to attract late 30's early 40's crowd with songs that haven't been played on Q in a long time from late 80's, early 90's. I have a concern with the MOLDY DJ's that have been there for many years. Derringer has a great voice but terrible as a DJ now.

I predict the Leafs will be worse next year. NO goaltending & teenagers possibly filling the top lines. Austin Matthews is an answer, BUT Leafs have to lose tomorrow in regulation to get 30th place. Bettman must be quivering in his boots - a Cdn. team getting 1st overall pick again??

Ceremonial 1st pitch for game tonight - Nobody better that Paul Beeston who sacrificed his life for the Blue Jays.

April 8, 2016 @ 7:22 PM

@dale

Remember, there's nothing as insignificant in all of sport than a regular season baseball game.

Yet I'm watching now and haven't missed a game yet this season. Go Jays!

April 8, 2016 @ 7:32 PM

dale

@Mike

VERY glad to see my wifey's former Dentists son doing Play by Play as Dan Shulman is the best.
Nothing as insignificant than a regular season BBall game? Other than last year, there was NO significance. Leafs will be better in 2 years than the Jays & I love BBall. Bet on it.

Happy Bday Jarvis.

April 8, 2016 @ 8:22 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. My Orioles won last night 6 to 1. We have homers by Jonathan Schoop, Chris Davis, Nolan Reimold and Manny Machado. Winning pitcher was Chris Tillman. Awesome game so my Orioles are in first place. They're the best. My Diamondbacks won as well. They're coming around. Orioles and Diamondbacks to the World Series. My Habs and Coyotes will win tonight, but it doesn't really matter. They won't make the playoffs. They're playing for next year. I can't remember who gave me Merl Haggard's number one hits as a gift. Some of the songs are good. A lot of them suck though. Oh well.

April 9, 2016 @ 8:09 AM

Douglas

@dale - Your wife and I had the same dentist. It was disappointing when he retired. My parents and the Shulman family were in the same social circle. I met Dan and his sister Joey when we were all young teens. Dan is definitely one of, if not the, best out there. It's great to see/hear him doing what he is passionate about. It's hard to believe that he wanted to be an actuary!

April 9, 2016 @ 11:48 AM

dale

@Douglas

Weston Rd. & Church St. in Weston. I actually met Dan in early 80's when picking her up from an appt.

Memories

April 9, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

Dawn Keibals

A quick tip to rogers and Mr.Shapeerow just try not to re-sign Jose Batista.
You will lose ALL the bandwagon jumpers forever and see attendance drop to 12,000-15,000 per game.
Go ahead...take the chance ......

April 9, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

anon

Thought the internet was free? Trying to listen to the Jays game, & guess what ....no dice.

am590 some guy yapping away about basketball.
WEEI Red Sox station, no live streaming available.
MLB u have to subscribe.

Guess the old portable am radio is not so obsolete as everyone claims it is.

PS Yes Dawn, 2 HR today for JBats, ya Jays don't need him. Trade him for an entire bullpen?

April 9, 2016 @ 2:25 PM

anon

12M for Dickey,, 15M for Bautista???

Dickey is getting lit up, as usual. Good job Gibby deciding on Dickey, rather than Hutch.

April 9, 2016 @ 2:40 PM

Sid_V

anon, it is MLB that prevents streaming of games over the Internet. They want to sell subscriptions to the MLB package, so they prevent all their broadcasters from streaming. As far as I know, they are the first major sports league to implement this, but they surely won'the be the last.

April 9, 2016 @ 6:38 PM

Sid_V

Met my significant other for lunch yesterday, and she was awfully surprised to find a moth living in the obviously pre-made salad she was served. The restaurant guy came over to look at what was going on, and all he said was "it's still alive", and pointed to the ceiling, as if to say it must have just landed and therefore wasn't his problem.

They offered another salad (uh, no thanks!) and then unceremoniously dropped $10.30 on the table. "Here's your money back for the salad". The salad was actually over $12 plus tax, but it seemed hardly worth arguing. We just wanted to leave.

There was no apology, no effort to even talk to us other than the three sentences. Struck me as terrible customer service, and not a very appropriate way to handle things. Is there a protocol for handling live creepy-crawlies in the salad, either as a restaurateur or a customer?

April 9, 2016 @ 6:51 PM

fourteen

You know, that Merle Haggard, he was no Bob Seger.

April 9, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

Cheryl

I am a game day audio subscriber. It's only $27.00 and that's for the whole year. It did go up a bit but it's because of our dollar. Anyway, I have it and I can get my Orioles and Diamondbacks just fine. My Orioles got rained out yesterday and my Diamondbacks lost. My Orioles are in first place. My Habs won their last game. That's great, but no playoffs and my Coyotes lost. My Suns won though. Well, I like a few things by Merl Haggard. I like Kentucky Gambler, Daddy Frank, Big City, Momma Tried. The rest of the songs suck pretty bad.

April 10, 2016 @ 7:31 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles won again yesterday. They are in first place. Yes, first place because my Orioles are the best. They can win and will keep it up. My Diamondbacks lost though again. They need to turn it around. As for hockey, I won't be listening to another game until October as my Habs and Coyotes are out. My Nets lost again last night.

April 11, 2016 @ 5:26 AM

andrew

@ Cheryl

My Oh My OH My. That must be your fave word.

My Oh My.

April 11, 2016 @ 7:26 PM

Cheryl

How about those Orioles. Yes, now it's six straight still in first place because my Orioles are the best and they are going to win the World Series. It is going to be awesome. Mark Trumbo and Chris Davis both hhit home runs and that is so awesome. My Diamondbacks didn't play last night. My Nets and Suns lost last night.

April 12, 2016 @ 10:03 AM

Pre Tendeth

Of all the impacts of climate change, one stands out for its inexorable menace, writes Pete Dolack: rising oceans. And it's not just for distant future generations to deal with: new scientific studies show that people alive today may face 6-9 metres of sea level rise flooding well over a million sq.km including many of the world's biggest cities. So where's the emergency response?

April 12, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

Rob J

@Pre Tendeth
You'd figure short people would be freaking out at least a little bit.

April 12, 2016 @ 6:23 PM

Pre Tendeth

Lol Rob J.

Stilts will make a comeback. Water stilts.

April 12, 2016 @ 10:54 PM

or this

The Beatles crossing street photo.....walking in water - this gif says it all

April 13, 2016 @ 9:53 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles did it again. Who is the best baseball team? It's the Baltimore Orioles. A home run again by Mark Trumbo. He is so amazing. He's fantastic and JJ Hardy also homered twice. Mike Wright got the win. My Orioles are so fantastic. My Diamondbacks also won as well. This is great. Nick Ahmed and Paul Goldschmidt hit homers. My Diamondbacks are going to face my Orioles in the World Series.

April 13, 2016 @ 10:41 AM

Cheryl

What a night. My Orioles lost. Ubaldo Jeminez didn't pitch very well. The game sucked. My Diamondbacks also lost. This sucks. Oh well, my Orioles will win tonight I hope and my Diamondbacks will win tonight. I got more junk mail from Rogers yesterday. I hate that. I wish they would lay off. I am not getting their Internet. I am sticking with Primus.

April 14, 2016 @ 9:01 AM