Merle Haggard, Dead at 79

Merle HaggardMerle Haggard was 79. He was the country music giant who celebrated outlaws, underdogs and an abiding sense of national pride in such hits as "Okie From Muskogee" and "Sing Me Back Home."

James Edgar

The country thing aside he was a great songwriter.

April 6, 2016 @ 4:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Haven't thought of this song in years. I worked with a guy around 1979 for the summer who had this and Charlie Pride 8 tracks on constant rotation. I think he got great joy at my cringing everytime he put it on.

April 6, 2016 @ 8:49 PM

Javed Jafri

He influenced the hippy psychedelic country rock bands such as the Gram Parsons period Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers. The Grateful Dead covered a few of his songs. Here's version of Okie by the Dead collaborating with the Beach Boys from April 1971:

April 7, 2016 @ 1:55 AM

Cheryl

I have a double CD of his number one greatest hits which I got as a gift. Some of the songs are really pretty good. RIP.

April 7, 2016 @ 9:48 AM

Irv

@Javed

Certain shows on CKUA Alberta play real cuts from Merle Haggard beyond the "well known" stuff. They played I'm A Lonesome Fugitive & Working Man Blues recently. If you like really classic stuff, check out Roy's Record Room. The guy actually works out of his house and sometimes plays vinyl on a 78 on the air.

I think the greatest irony of the sudden interest in Merle is country radio talking about him. They've ignored the guy for 3 decades (as they did with Cash).

Now, me and Deliah singing every Sunday
Watching the children and the garden grow
We listen to the radio to hear what's cookin’
But the music ain't got no soul
Now they sound tired but they don't sound Haggard
They've got money but they don't have Cash
They got Junior but they don't have Hank
I think, I think, I think

April 7, 2016 @ 8:44 PM

JJ

Not too many of todays so-called country artists partied harder than this guy. For all the drugs that this guy put into his system, its amazing the talent that came out.

Haggard, Twitty, Jones, Cash et al. now that was country.

April 9, 2016 @ 10:52 AM