Time Machine

I was catching up on some work last night when I saw this tweet from TSN1050 host Mike Richards.

Immediately, I knew what game he was watching. It was my game. It was the final Maple Leafs game of the 1980s and I was in attendance at Maple Leaf Gardens to witness the most exciting game I'd ever seen live.

It was 6-1 Bruins, and my buddy Joe and I were playing the funeral march over a megaphone he had smuggled in. We didn't get to many games, so when you got a dog, it hurt. And there were plenty of dog games in the 80s.

When I saw this tweet from Mike Richards, I turned on the television and tuned in LeafsTV. I got to relive that night in 1989 and it was as glorious as I remembered.

Vincent Damphousse scored late in the second period to make it 6-2, and that's how it stood with 5 minutes left in the third. Then, Gary Leeman scored, and Luke Richardson scored, and Ed Olczyk scored. Suddenly, it was 6-5.

At this point, it felt like we couldn't lose. Eddie O made sure of it, with a nifty breakaway goal to tie it up late. Then, in OT, Mr. ALL HEART whacked home the winner. Leafs win! Leafs win! Leafs win!

I spent last night in 1989. That wasn't a tweet, that was a time machine.

December 30, 1989 - Maple Leafs

Toneman The Leaf Fan

@TM

Ya, I remember that night. You'd think we'd won the Cup that night, with the way we long-suffering Leaf fans celebrated. It's true that the 1980's were a graveyard for the Leafs, but there were some bright spots. Wendel Clark was the complete hockey player, with great skill as well as toughness, work ethic, and leadership. My favorite Leaf of all time. Remember the Hound Line, with Wendel, Gary Leeman, and Russ Courtnall? Awesome to watch.

Of course, we also had Harold Ballard. That ruined everything.

March 24, 2016 @ 10:30 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Not a Leafs fan, but watched quite a few games. That was an exciting time to be a Leafs fan. Hopefully for die hards like yourself they return to those types of times again.

March 24, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

@Toneman The Leaf Fan

I loved The Hound Line.

March 24, 2016 @ 10:39 AM

m m

I started watching the Leafs just a bit after, in 1991-1992 season. There were many, many duds there. But then we started winning more in the second half season. I remember the highs from the games we won, especially in the 93 and 94. But I also remember getting frustrated by the organization's continuous refusals to improve. I stopped following hockey entirely about ten year ago. Meh.

March 24, 2016 @ 11:08 AM

@m m

From a Leafs perspective, you could skip the past 10 years and not miss a damn thing.

March 24, 2016 @ 11:09 AM

m m

Mike, being very close to your age, I was a teenager when those winning highs happened and they will always stay with me. I don't think I can be drawn back to hockey, but if the Leafs win a Cup in my/our lifetime, I'll definitely be happy for the fans.

March 24, 2016 @ 1:56 PM

mrmojorisinca

true story...
was a huge leaf fan due to the the hound line..then they traded my fav player to the Habs :(

That started me liking the Habs until the first Strike, which turned me off the game for a couple years...

Watching playoff hockey got me into the game again slowly...just enjoy watching hockey without any attachment..that some how turned into me likely the direction Leafs were going in...and still in that same position today :)

shannonplan I hope it works out for the city :)

March 24, 2016 @ 2:29 PM

Anonymous

re: TorontoMike: "My 1980s highlight was sweeping Chicago in the first round of the playoffs in '86. Then, pushing St. Louis to a game seven in round two. Only 9 wins away from the cup!"

I was at that Leafs\Hawks game 3 in '86 (it was a best of 5 series). As we approached the Gardens around 7pm (for the 8pm start), we heard huge cheering coming from inside. We rushed in & the sound .. cheering, banging on seats .. was deafening. When we came out to the seats, it was great. The ice was empty; it was simply the crowd going nuts 60 minutes before puck drop. There was no way the Leafs were going to lose this game. We enjoyed "the sweep"!

March 24, 2016 @ 6:34 PM