The Dinosaurs that Walk Among Us

I remember watching Goose Gossage play. You simply don't forget a moustache like that. And as a kid, I thought Goose was a pretty fun nickname.

Goose went off on Joey Bats Thursday. "Bautista is a fucking disgrace to the game," he told ESPN. "He's embarrassing to all the Latin players, whoever played before him. Throwing his bat and acting like a fool, like all those guys in Toronto."

Goose Gossage is a dinosaur, one of many still covering baseball. This incident reminds me of when Jonathan Papelbon choked Bryce Harper in the dugout last September. One by one, the dinosaurs came out to defend Papelbon, condoning the physical altercation as part of the game.

2016-02-23_11-44-03

The picture above seems rather appropriate for this entry. It's me in my Bautista bat flip shirt and Kevin Barker. He recently accompanied his wife Hazel Mae on a visit to my home. Barker and Gregg Zaun are two dinosaurs living in a different era.

Goose Gossage, Gregg Zaun and Kevin Barker are cherry picking their memories, after all. Here's a tremendous clip of Goose getting punked by Kirk Gibson in the '84 World Series.

The bat flip is beloved in this city, and rightly so. The dinosaurs can either adapt or get out of the way. They're blocking my view of this beautiful game.

Mike Gamble

What a great clip! Sparky was great.

March 12, 2016 @ 10:43 AM

@Mike Gamble

I can't get enough of that clip. I love the way Sparky smiles after telling Gibson "he don't wanna walk you!"

March 12, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

Rob J

I'm sure Jose and his mates will exact revenge the only way they know how: by devising the most elaborate group handshake after advancing a runner to third in mid May that Goose has ever seen.

March 12, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

McNulty

So.....throwing your bat in celebration of a big hit at an important time in a very crucial game is horrible.
But choking a guy is just showing passion for the game.

Ok. These dinosaurs are creating a lot of gas.

March 12, 2016 @ 11:51 AM

Yawnie

The suits at rogers must really love Hazel Mae to death.They give her a job and clearly are forced to take her husband Kevin Barker and put him in a media position.
Ya want one but gotta take the other also...she gotts one heck of an agent.
Then again the suits at rogers also think their hockey coverage is good.

March 12, 2016 @ 12:33 PM

The Voice of Reason

So Goose feels that profane rants are going bring in the next generation of fans? Assholes like this are in the HOF but Pete Rose is not.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:12 PM

Irv

Sorry Mike, but I think you're missing a point on this. To predicate, I'm not a sports fan at all. I will, on occasion, at the bar down the street go watch football/soccer or rugby. But it's very rare (mostly because of time constraints)

But is it really a stretch to associate team sports with neanderthal behaviour? I don't think it is. I was reviewing some cyber stalking shit lately and they were talking about a Leaf goalie. I guess they blamed him for losing some important game (Reimer?) and his wife received 300+ death threats on Twitter. Had she pursued those charges, about 300 people would have got a 6 AM visit by some men in kevlar with C8 carbines.

So the appeal of these guys is because team sports HAS that "goon" side too it. You should be making light of that. These sportscasters simply feed the demand that is there.

Or you could just toss sports aside and find something else to do with your life. You might be surprised.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:15 PM

@Irv

I missed the point because some people agree with the dinosaurs?

That has nothing to do with my point.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:25 PM

T

Right on Mike. Glad u have this Goose issue front & centre.

This Relic last played when, 1994, & since then nobody has disrespected the game more then Bautista?

Hey FossilHead, in case u weren't there, it was Gm 5 of a best of 5, Texas had just gone ahead in the top of the 7 with a bogus call from the ump. The fans were going nuts, throwing cans & everything. The place was electric.

Bottom of the 7, Texas commits 3 unseemingly errors to put 2 Jays on base. Up walks Bautista. U see Grandpa, Bautista is the heart & soul of the team. He was on fire. He lives for these moments, like any superstar would. Ball 1 Strike 1, next pitch BOOM!!!! HR BAM there goes the bat. What a picture, what a moment.

Goose, shhhhhh.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:31 PM

Irv

No Mike, you missed the point because you don't want to accept this type of commentators/opinion exist because there is a demand for that in team sports

Remember when you and many others were "shocked" with the success of Rob Ford. A wide swath of Toronto appeared incredulous this type of "thug" could win & even have a large support base. Many commented Toronto was "beyond that". Well in sports it's the same thing. Sports is not beyond that. Just like Leaf fans might burn down the city IF they ever win. Just like support for this type of announcer exists.

As for the dinosaurs adapting, well perhaps they feel the same way about what they probably view as "namby pamby" types taking that away from the game?

Look man, I agree with you, but I'm saying this exists because the fans want it. Lots of them want it.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

@Irv

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:47 PM

dale

A debate. If the shoe was on the other FOOT & a player from Texas did the same thing as the bat flip & they won? TDot would be saying somewhat what the Goose said about JBats, a disgrace.

Just image & think about it. Just because the Jays won, does that make it right. I've coached many years in Rep BBall & a few of our players have been suspended for "showing up the other team with antics". It's protocol with OBA (Ontario Baseball).

Although, the bat flip was a site to behold.

March 12, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

I have to agree with you. If sport does not evolve people tend not to watch or consume them. The live pigeon shooting event did not last long at the Olympics. Others were not interesting and not popular enough. The croquet tournament in 1900 was not a success with the spectators.
People such as Irv who freely admit to not know about sports seem to try to pass themselves off as "an authority" figure on what people want.
Maybe you can post something on Mayor Bloomberg's banning of the sale of 16 ounce soda's in NYC. For some reason I feel Irv would actually provide some content that would be worth reading. He likely consumes quite a bit while he frothing in between his pointless replies.

March 12, 2016 @ 3:29 PM

Irv

VoR

If the photo someone sent me of you is recent, I'd suggest you heed the 16 oz soda ban. Health matters bro. Do you smoke too?

As for me, I don't drink soda at all or juice. It's just sugar water. I drink water, a daily cup of coffee, and the odd beer now and then. On a rare occasion, I do have a bottle of home made ginger beer which is sold at Nester's market.

As for the ban on soda, I fundamentally disagree with government telling a person what they can & can't do to their body. If a product is legal, it's legal. Case closed.

March 12, 2016 @ 4:08 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Irv

Oddly we agree on freedom from government controls, but the sanity stops there.

I am not sure if I am flattered or shocked that "grown men" are sharing photos of me.

March 12, 2016 @ 4:14 PM

Bob Canuck

Mike,

I read and/or heard Gossage views, and the responses from Gregg Zaun and Kevin Barker; Zaun supported the opinions expressed by Gossage but Kevin Barker did not. I think your post unfairly ties Kevin Barker with Gossage and Zaun in this instance. You can disagree with Barker and his view of the Papelbon-Harper incident; however, your post strongly suggests that he agrees with Gossage's recent rant.

Here is the link to Zaun's comments on the PTS on the Fan 590; his appearance starts at the 24:15 mark.

Below is a link to Kevin Barker's appearance on the Jeff Blair Show; he appears at the 14:57 mark.

March 12, 2016 @ 5:42 PM

GUNTer

@irv
your comment about receiving a pic of VofR is......creepy. If it is true then whoever sent it to you needs (badly) to get a life. wow.
further your comment on his looks or anyones looks is out of line.
again - wow.

March 12, 2016 @ 7:11 PM

@Bob Canuck

I certainly didn't mean to suggest Barker was with Gossage. I actually had no idea what Barker thought of Gossage's statement, and was writing about his response to Papelbon vs. Harper.

March 12, 2016 @ 7:35 PM

Irv

@GUNTer

Well, wouldn't be the first time. Back after Martin Streek committed suicide, I had a "group" approach me in the hopes I'd help them "destroy Corus". They wanted me to release information on certain folks to destroy them. I politely declined. They were a group who was well hidden.

And that doesn't even start on the number of times I've been asked to hack, destroy, "release personal data", etc on people in the media business. It happens enough if I went forth and charged for it I'd be a wealthy man.

As for my comment on VoR, if you read the Open Mike, I didn't start the flame war. He did. It wasn't a case of just commenting to my attacks, it was elevating the 'fight' so I responded. That's how it works in troll-fests.

Never underestimate the ugliness of people GUNTer. My job has shown me the extremes of evil. The most disturbing was the guy selling clothes, etc made from human skin. Welcome to the new world. Thankfully, those days are behind me. But some shit can't be "unseen".

March 12, 2016 @ 8:19 PM

Please take your "troll-fest" somewhere else.

Management

March 12, 2016 @ 8:23 PM

Irv

So let me clarify Mike. You think I am he problem?

March 12, 2016 @ 8:48 PM

@Irv

I just asked you guys to take the old gang war to another forum, that's all. I don't want it here.

March 12, 2016 @ 8:54 PM

Computer Owner

I am old enough to notice the great AL KALINE in the stands.
The great Detroit pitcher.
Well, not old enough to notice but old enough to remember his face and (probably) having
his baseball card.

March 12, 2016 @ 11:20 PM

computer owner

Oops. Right field not Pitcher. And on second thought maybe that wasn't Al Kaline in the stands. I thought it was but maybe not.

March 12, 2016 @ 11:25 PM

Computer Owner

After comparing 'images' to the person in the video I am definitely going with Al Kaline.

.297 lifetime average over 22 years of play. 399 home runs.

March 12, 2016 @ 11:35 PM

Wally

I definitely fall in the new-school category here with regard to sportsmanship.

Baseball has a demographics problem. This sort of attitude and bravado towards the past simply does not work with the current age of viewers. MLB are actually leaders when it comes to presenting their content to the new age (See: MLB.TV, MLB app, etc). The problem lies with the content and not the delivery. Heaven forbid athletes show emotion in emotional times. You look at the other leagues and the most exciting players are the emotional ones (Steph Curry, LeBron James, Ovie, Patrick Kane, Brice Harper, Sebatian Giovinco).

March 15, 2016 @ 10:17 AM