Someone Knows Something

The CBC recently launched a new podcast in the vein of Serial entitled Someone Knows Something. We're four episodes deep, and here are my early thoughts.

I also listen to a CBC podcast called The Doc Project. Each week, The Doc Project airs an hour-long radio documentary. They're usually pretty interesting.

Following the first episodes of Someone Knows Something, it felt like an average episode of The Doc Project. Better than the weak episodes (I'm still sorry I wasted my time on that Harry Potter ep), but not as good as the stand-outs.

I don't know where Someone Knows Something is going, and I'll stick with it to find out, but so far it really does feel like a half-decent hour long documentary stretched into a series. A 5-year old boy vanished in 1972 while on a family fishing trip in Eastern Ontario and the case has gone cold. It's a tragic story, but lacking the compelling essence of Serial that made it so addictive.

I'm happy to hear more Canadian content being produced, I just think we can do even better.

someone-knows-something

Dawn (Moosegrumpy)

Feeling the same way as you. Started listening because Sarah is killing me with bi-weekly Serial podcasts. I wanted more drama to suck me in. This isn't quite doing it for me but I am compelled to listen each week as I want to know the story but it could be shorter.

It is interesting listening to the older people in the story, the parent & others who were adults at the time of Adrian's disappearance. Having grown up in a small city in Central Ontario I feel like I know these people. They sound like the average blue collar older people I grew up with. Listening to their speech pattern and phrasing gives me warm & fuzzies of growing up with my grandparents. That really draws me in too.

March 23, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

@Dawn (Moosegrumpy)

I'm always impressed that the people they want to talk to are always still alive and able to communicate.

That was 44 years ago!

March 23, 2016 @ 9:12 AM

Douglas

The only show that gets me to tune in anywhere on the CBC is the very well-done "X Company", Wednesdays at 9 p.m. Only partly because I live fairly close to where Camp X was, my feelings about PET's Liberal government having it plowed under/into Lake Ontario. Mind you, that's typically Canadian behaviour when it comes to incredible Canadian successes. Diefenbaker had the Avro Arrow destroyed. The monument that stands in what is now known as Intrepid Park (a very appropriate name) does very little justice to the incredible people and accomplishments of Camp X.

March 23, 2016 @ 1:16 PM

Anon&on

The promo for this podcast bothered me a bit, calling it as a 'serialized podcast'. I thought that was cheap thrills. Any other time, the CBC would have promoted this an 'X-part documentary'.

I was a bit put off already but decided to give it a try.
It's official, the CBC is creatively and ethically bankrupt.

This is bordering on offensive, unless I've been duped by a mocumentary. And it's not even good as a mocumentary. The writing and narration is over the top melodrama, it sounds amateur. No, it sounds professional- professionals acting as amateur podcasters.
The female voiceover introductory bit, the quick edit clips of interviewees (which makes them sound like relatives of the Averys), the uneven show lengths, the music... yikes. And the topper is the ad for the shipping company (a podcast staple).
I was going to bail after the prologue but had the 1st downloaded too, so slogged my way through that, waiting for the joke to reveal itself.
If this is real, I am sorry for the family that was used for media gain. I'm embarrassed for the CBC.

If you didn't get enough of Serial, try the Undisclosed podcast. This podcast goes in-depth on each episode of Serial with lawyers (including Rabia, the original contact for Adnan) and the latest few episodes deal in detail with the current new appeal hearings for Adnan.

And for a truly superb production, try the Criminal podcast. Not a serial but each episode explores a different aspect of crime. Episode #32 about the Baltimore riot photo is one of the best podcast audio programs ever, ranks right up there with one of the benchmarks podcast episodes ever, The Living Room, from Love + Radio.

March 24, 2016 @ 9:25 PM

Anonymous

Series like that should be put on regular tv for people who can't afford to pay for channels you have to subscribe to. I would like to watch Someone knows Something, but not have to pay for it. It's discussing how tv wants everyone to pay to watch.....

March 29, 2016 @ 11:35 AM