Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I am first again. See, being first is great. My Coyotes won. This is wonderful. They are hot again just in time for the playoffs. If my Habs don't win the cup, my Coyotes will. My Suns and Nets lost though which is not good. Why can't they win ever. Orioles broadcaster, Fred Manfra is recovering from back surgery. That's too bad so looks like he won't be back until the summer, so probably Jim Hunter will join Joe Angel for the broadcasts. Opening day is getting closer and closer and I'll have baseball again. I like baseball a lot now.

March 18, 2016 @ 8:22 AM

Cheryl

March 18, 2016 @ 8:23 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Cheryl: First and second today!

March 18, 2016 @ 8:38 AM

mrmojorisinca

Neither of the teams you have to win the Stanley cup are even in the playoff as of yet.

March 18, 2016 @ 8:41 AM

The Voice of Reason

I will admit it, I made a mistake. I bought into the Toronto Star hype and actually voted for John Tory. It has been 18 months and he has been a colossal disappointment by all standards. I am writing this as it seems that former Mayor Ford is terminally ill and will not survive the abdominal cancer. I did not approve of his personal life at all. He was not a positive example in that aspect. Ford was a good mayor for Toronto, he was a people person, and stood up for the taxpayers. Most don't do that, they just spend and spend like there is not end to the tax money. until they have created an economical hardship for its citizens.

I find it ironic that as Rob Ford seems to be at the end of his life, the Toronto Star also seems to be on life support.

March 18, 2016 @ 9:06 AM

Michael Lee

David Mirvish for mayor?
His family is Toronto royalty.
He loves the arts community.
He's a supporter of cyclicts.
He's well respected internationally.
He has serious connections to businesses.

Just looking ahead. Somebody needs to pitch this to him.

March 18, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

escape from 'this'

Jon Rappoport has written an interesting article about the 'magic' we have lost. https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/imagination-and-the-fire-2/

March 18, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Michael Lee

It would be interesting if David Mirvish would be interested. He seems like a private person, I doubt he would want to place his private life on public display.

March 18, 2016 @ 9:32 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

About six months ago at work I saw a friend's brother, Tim, around the office. I had only met him a couple of times, but after chatting with him it turned out he had gotten a job in another department. Every couple of days since then I'd see him around here and there, just saying "hey Tim, how are you man? "...you know.. that sort of small talk. He was always friendly, saying hello back, and then we'd go our separate ways. About two weeks ago I was having lunch with colleagues in the work cafeteria when TIm walked by, so he stopped to say hello, and I introduced Tim to the group..we chatted a bit and then he walked away.

Last night I bumped into my friend, Tim's brother. I said "ya I didn't know your brother had gotten a job at the same company - small world". "Ya", he said, "Scott seems to be enjoying it there".

March 18, 2016 @ 10:19 AM

Gump

@ Voice of Reason.
"Ford was a good mayor for Toronto".
You're kidding right. He was a colossal abysmal mayor. He made us the laughing stock of large metropolitan areas. Businesses wouldn't engage with the City of Toronto because of his unstable leadership. He never did the research necessary (nor read the sub-committee or the city staff reports) to understand the nuances of running a multi-million dollar 'business'. He did illegal fundraising. He violated several articles of the office of mayor. He only participated in events he supported, not events that were important for the city. He argued with his fellow councilors, he missed important votes, he was absent from essential debates. He was a joke. He is a small minded individual who never 'got' the job.
I now put you in the same category as Cheryl... will never read your posts again.

March 18, 2016 @ 10:58 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Gump

"He only participated in events he supported"

You just explained every politician that has ever been elected.

March 18, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

markosaar

@The Voice of Reason,

What are some examples of what Tory is doing to disappoint you so?

March 18, 2016 @ 11:13 AM

logjam

I remember how there were no videos of Rob Ford participating in 'events' he supported.

March 18, 2016 @ 11:16 AM

The Voice of Reason

@markosaar

No failure is greater than Tory’s sorry work on the Toronto Police Services Board. After former chief Bill Blair refused to fix the discredited practice of police “carding,” the mayor backed a craven half-measure of reform, hailing it as a “landmark” in bias-free policing. When that triggered outrage, Tory urged an outright ban on carding, later modifying his position in favour of waiting to see what the province would do.

March 18, 2016 @ 11:19 AM

logjam

Poor Rob. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. We are here for a short time. For all our folly and idiocy and perhaps a few shining moments.

March 18, 2016 @ 11:19 AM

Rob J

Rob Ford was an effective mayor for Toronto in the same way Barry Melrose was an effective coach for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

March 18, 2016 @ 1:22 PM

The Voice of Reason

@ Rob J

I felt the same way about Ford, but when you look at the bones of it all, you can make a great comparison to Richard Millhouse Nixon.
Nixon was remembered for his corruption at the end of his term, but was likely the most effective president in American history. The list of his accomplishments surpasses most. Some include:

Rapprochement with China.
The Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty and Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
Ending the draft and (finally) the war in Vietnam.
Reducing the deficit via Keynesian economic principles.
Title IX and other gender equality measures.
Desegregating Southern schools.
Native American self-determination.
The Environmental Protection Agency and Clean Air Act.
The War on Cancer and serious attempts at health insurance reform.

March 18, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

Tdotter

Toronto Mike must be busy when his flock of kids considering he hasn't chimed in to remind us that Rob Ford was a terrible, terrible mayor and person.

March 18, 2016 @ 2:55 PM

Stokely Carmichael

I remember when Rob Ford desegregated Southern schools.

March 18, 2016 @ 3:47 PM

Stokely Carmichael

Just joshing of course about Rob Ford 'desegregating' the south...History, of course, is understood based on one's biases and predispositions, ideologies, etc... And, as they say, history is written by the victors. For example the Texas schoolbooks now referring to the African slave trade as 'importing workers.'

March 18, 2016 @ 4:27 PM

Cheryl

Well, Rob Ford was a terrible mayor, scandal after scandal. I wish George Smitherman was still running. I hope George Smitherman will consider running for mayor again. So I was first and second. I don't know why my post got repeated. My Suns won last night. That's great. My Habs will win tonight. Maybe another win for Ben Scrivens. Tray Walker died a tragic death. He was from the Baltimore Ravens. He was in a motorcycle accident. It is not a good thing. It's really sad. He shouldn't have died so young.

March 19, 2016 @ 7:17 AM

fourteen

Tough break for Tray Walker. Alas, he was no Bob Seeger.

March 19, 2016 @ 12:30 PM

Yawnie

@ fourteen...It was just too EZ

March 19, 2016 @ 1:50 PM

mr. gorbachev tear down this megaboard

from the department of sheer assholery:
Digital megaboard proposed for West Don park corridor

March 19, 2016 @ 1:50 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Mike are you going to attempt to take a picture of the baby every day to have a digital historical capsule of its growth over the first year?

March 19, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

@The Voice of Reason

I've already missed a couple of days!

March 19, 2016 @ 4:50 PM

Rob J

@TM
I'm halfway through the Wise episode and will post my review tomorrow but wow, you said early on when describing your podcast audience that some skip the Elvis episodes?!?! Did you mis-speak? That statement rattled me.

March 19, 2016 @ 8:11 PM

@Rob J

Even Elvis skips the Elvis episodes.

March 19, 2016 @ 9:14 PM

fourteen

Yes, Yawnie, rather amateurish. A momentary lapse of . . . Judgement.

March 19, 2016 @ 11:29 PM

Cheryl

My Habs and Coyotes both lost last night and my Habs actually got shut out. My Nets also lost. It was not a good night for sports. Ben Scrivens really had a bad night. I thought he was going to be up and coming. Tray Walker dying was so sad. He was a Baltimore Raven. He was too young. No, he's not Bob Seger, but he's a good football player. This is really very very sad.

March 20, 2016 @ 8:52 AM

andrew

@Cheryl

You keep writing that the Habs & Coyotes will challenge for the cup. The only cup they will get is a cup that fits into a jock, when they make a trade of their useless players. Neither team will qualify for playoffs. Time to GIVE IT UP.

March 20, 2016 @ 1:11 PM

@andrew

There's no place for logic and reason in Cheryl's fantasy!

March 20, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

Yawnie

@ Cheryl I expect to get huge backlash but I no feeling for Trey Walker or anyone else that does something that dumb.
According to official police report "He was riding at night (conditions dark) no headlight or brake-lights and victim was not wearing a helmet."
That is just beyond stupid.

March 20, 2016 @ 1:59 PM

dark conditions at night?

March 20, 2016 @ 2:18 PM

fourteen

Hollywood nights? None of those Hollywood lights?

March 20, 2016 @ 9:46 PM

Cheryl

March 21, 2016 @ 6:28 AM

Cheryl

It's sad, it really is. It was a terrible accident for Tray Walker. My Habs lost again. This sucks. My Coyotes lost again. It's no good, but in two weeks from today is opening day for baseball and I am excited about my Orioles and Diamondbacks. It will be wonderful. They're both going to the World Series. My Habs and Coyotes both lost again. It's no good. Anyway, Tray Walker was a Baltimore Raven and it was an accident. It's very sad. Anyway, opening day in two months. My Orioles and Diamondbacks will win and they're going to the World Series.

March 21, 2016 @ 6:31 AM

andrew

@Cheryl

What calendar are you using - opening day is 2-3 weeks (NOT 2 MONTHS) away.
Your Habs & Coyotes teams each lost 2 games in a row & scored a total of 1 goal in those 4 games.
You have high dream expectations & dreams never come true.

What team are you rooting for in the World Cup of Hockey this September? I'd love to your answer on this.

March 21, 2016 @ 5:52 PM

Yawnie

@ andrew What team are you rooting for in the World Cup of Hockey this September?

When her trainer tells her who to root for then we will all know. Hint: It won't be Canada.

March 21, 2016 @ 7:03 PM

Cheryl

Okay. So I typed months instead of weeks. Anyway, I don't know who I'm cheering for in the World Cup of hockey. My Suns lost again last night. All this losing is no good at all. Anyway, Orioles and Diamondbacks to the World Series.

March 22, 2016 @ 5:10 AM

Janus (look both ways)

Found the most interesting article online today:

And definitely, at whatever stage of our awakening, we need to keep exposing the trickery and deceit to help others along the way and out of the net, but we mustn’t dwell there or let it get under our skin, even in our sacred anger and outrage. There’s a time for everything, but if we’re going to realize the true solutions for our planet and its inhabitants we need to first get to where we know from whence we are operating, with a crystal clear vision of what needs to be done from a firm foundation in loving truth.
Even more so, we need to rediscover and realize the true spiritual power tools at our disposal. As we do, and is already happening, our weaponry of truth outmatches their foolish artificial 3-D hardware to such an extent they will be exposed to be the imposters they are – nothing but dark shadows trying to usurp the sun.

Zen Gardner, Guest
Waking Times

March 22, 2016 @ 9:00 AM

Cheryl

My Habs and Coyotes both won. Ole ole ole ole. Wonderful. PK Subban was back skating so he will be back in the lineup soon I think. Big freezing rain, ice pellets, snow and rain coming tonight and tomorrow. It sounds bad. I don't want it. I had enough winter.

March 23, 2016 @ 5:41 AM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

You have to agree with John Tortorella. He's right about this trend toward eliminating bodychecking in the NHL. These days, if you make a good, clean hit, even in the open ice, you'd better get those gloves off right away, because righteous, holy vengeance is a-comin'.

People, this is not ringette. Nazem Kadri hit poor little Johnny Hockey the other night, (how dare he, that heartless, vicious animal), and how does little Johnny respond? He and a (much larger) teammate both hack Kadri in the back of the legs, then scurries away while his (larger) teammate pummels Kadri in the head from behind. Kadri took a penalty for embellishment.

But let's give credit where it's due: Little Johnny had the personal courage to circle back towards Kadri after Kadri had been subdued, and publically accused him of being a whiner! Good God.

What is our game becoming?

And speaking of sure signs of the Apocalypse, it is incredible but true: The Edmonton Oilers have the best chance of securing Auston Matthews in this years Entry Draft. It boggles the mind. Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, AND Connor McDavid (!), and they still have the best shot at first overall again. Talk about Tank Nation. Nobody's that inept.

Imagine if you will the howls of outrage from the rest of Canada, if the Leafs ever had this kind of incredible good fortune. There'd be a Federal Inquiry, and heads would roll.

P.S.
Rest in peace, Rob Ford. I was never a fan, but you were far too young to die.

March 23, 2016 @ 11:53 AM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

Ugh! March Madness is clogging TSN up again. Oh well, I guess it beats darts on Sportsnet.

March 24, 2016 @ 12:56 AM

Cheryl

It sounds really bad out there. It sounds like ice pellets. This is really a big storm, guys. It's awful out there. I hope it ends soon. My ?Suns finally won another game. That's great.

March 24, 2016 @ 6:54 AM

fourteen

That Rob Ford, he was no Bob Seger.

March 24, 2016 @ 4:22 PM