#TeamReimer 4 Life

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded goaltender James Reimer, along with forward Jeremy Morin, to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for goaltender Alex Stalock, forward Ben Smith and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

I'm not going to write about every Leafs trade over the next few days, as I'm sure there will be a bunch, but I will write about James Reimer.

He owned this city back in 2011. Don't believe me? Click here. I was quick to pick up my Optimus Reim shirt, which I still wear all the time. I even dropped his name in the song I wrote and sang at my wedding.

IMG_20141129_193800

James Reimer is now a member of the San Jose Sharks, but that won't stop me from wearing my Reimer tee shirt, and that won't stop me from enjoying this gem from Bloge Salming and Down Goes Brown.

#TeamReimer 4 life.

matt

Thought of you when i heard about the deal. Hope he does well in SJ.

I wonder how quickly this came together if they didnt do it last week.

February 27, 2016 @ 3:23 PM

dale

I would have kept Reimer & traded Bernier instead.
A big loss in the ROOM.
Good Luck JR & hope you don't get shot.

February 27, 2016 @ 4:56 PM

@dale

Bernier's got another year left at $4.15 million. You can't give him away. Nobody wants him.

February 27, 2016 @ 4:58 PM

dale

@ Mike

A bag of used pucks & sticks for practice & an old bus.
Uncle Lou would have taken it.

February 27, 2016 @ 5:35 PM

@dale

Lou would have taken nothing. Nobody wants Bernier and that contract for nothing.

February 27, 2016 @ 5:41 PM

Alan

WTF? Leafs got rid of the wrong goalie. I hope JR gets treated better in San Jose than he did here.

February 27, 2016 @ 6:23 PM

Rob J

Cox tweeted that reimer wanted 6 years $36 million...these toronto athletes are really starting to believe their hype

February 27, 2016 @ 9:29 PM

@Rob J

I find that very, very difficult to believe.

February 27, 2016 @ 9:35 PM

The Voice of Reason

Only in Toronto would a group of people "miss" a man who won only 45% of his starts. Again Toronto fans celebrate mediocracy instead of substance. In any other market Reimer would likely never would have made it outside of the AHL.

February 28, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

Rob J

@Voice of Reason
Only 5 pages dealing with this trade in the Sun today...I really thought they'd go overboard

February 28, 2016 @ 11:28 AM

@Voice of Reason

What % of games would Patrick Roy in his prime have won backstopping these recent Leafs teams?

February 28, 2016 @ 11:35 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Partrick Roy would have demanded a trade years ago if he was a Leaf. Sadly Toronto fans have learned to accept losing and again have resorted to honouring mediocre players. The culture for close to 50 years has been "The loveable loser". Regardless of who management brings in, the players career seems to go south when the Maple Leaf is on that players chest.

February 28, 2016 @ 12:48 PM

GAry

I always preferred Reimer over Bernier. I think he is a better goalie than a lot people give him credit for. It will be interesting to see how he does in SJ.

February 28, 2016 @ 1:01 PM

JJ

5 yr rebuild? Don't see any Connor Mcdavids in the near future. Leafs are acting like the Oilers & look what happened to them.

U need a balanced team of veterans & youth & talent. Leafs have nothing.

Babcock cant coach these hacks. 6M to burn on a coach?

Can u say 2025 or later.

February 28, 2016 @ 2:08 PM

fourteen

I remember the late 70's and 80's teams. They would routinely allow 50 - 60 shots a game (2 games worth!) and the media & fans would always complain that they needed better goaltending.

There are Leafs fans and then there are fans of hockey.

February 28, 2016 @ 2:15 PM

Rob J

@JJ
No way they win in 5 years. Blackhawks were horrible for a decade and came out of it with Toews and Kane. Leafs have been horrible for 10 years and have...Kadri?

February 28, 2016 @ 3:35 PM