Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I am number one. Yes, I am first and it's great to be first so I'm very lucky. My Nets beat my Suns last night. They're both my teams so if it went the other way, it wouldn't matter. Anyway, my Coyotes lost though again. Now they are always losing. My Habs are going to beat the Leafs tomorrow. As I said, the Habs are going to win the rest of their games. They'll make the playoffs and play my Coyotes in the final. Well, the outside workers accepted their contract. Good, but doesn't Council have to vote as well? I think so. The inside workers still don't have a contract. Oh well, it won't affect me if inside workers go out, it's their stupid choice if they want to be stupid, at least there will still be snow removal. A week from Tuesday, Bell comes into my place. I really hate them. I wish they could just leave me alone. I do not and absolutely do not want Bell Phibe. Leave me alone. I hate Bell. Primus is better. I am sticking with Primus. They are cheaper. They have great customer service and they rarely go down. Everyone should get Primus and then Bell can just go away.

February 26, 2016 @ 8:41 AM

Anonymouse

Thoughts on the changes in Toronto radio? Edge adds TV guy Rick "The Temp" Campinelli to their morning show. Indie adds evening/weekend guy Carlin to theirs. Plus Edge adds Carley Meyers to mid-days, and moves Adam to evenings. And Flow might rebrand on Monday.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:02 AM

McNulty

The changes in radio?

Wow, another white guy added to a white guy and white girl morning team. How original.

Maybe this template works but it just seems so boring.

Rick doesn't seem like the personality that would compliment Fred's. I am not the biggest Fred fan but at least he seems more authentic.

But hey, what do I know? I am a semi-anonymous guy writing a comment on a blog.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:08 AM

@Anonymouse

Let's start with The Edge...

At first, this is curious, as Rick is older than me and The Edge is targeting people half my age.

But, as a wise man tweeted at me, you need to give advertisers a name they know. And as my wife reminded me, 92.5 targets youth and has Roz Weston there, almost as old as Rick.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the 3 person booth. I prefer 2, especially considering how little time they now have for a convo.

As for Flow, the big change is Monday morning. I tried to get some detail out of some pals there, but they're pretty tight lipped. I do know all the female talent quit or was fired in anticipation of Monday's re-launch, so my guess is full on urban.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:10 AM

The Voice of Reason

A terrorist is a terrorist, is a terrorist ! And I think that most Canadians would agree that his or her citizenship should be revoked if they are convicted of any act of terrorism.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:11 AM

Old guy

I wish Q107 would go back to classic rock.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:34 AM

Rob J

I find Cheryl's posts to be a delight...Read them using Donald Trump's voice if you don't concur.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:37 AM

markosaar

The Voice of Reason,

The "terrorist" thing seems superficially obvious but it's about so much more than a sound-bite.

It's creating tiers of laws for people based on their birthplace or background. That's very undemocratic, and extremely 'uncanadian'.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:49 AM

Yawnie

Well anyway The Tim Horton's Brier starts soon.I love Tim Hortons there coffee is the best,i don't even know why other companies bother to grow coffee.I have no idea who to cheer for at the Brier coming soon anyways maybe i will just cheer for a team that uses Primus or i could just wait for some jabroni from Hamilton to to me who i should cheer for anyways.

February 26, 2016 @ 9:57 AM

Don Landry is visiting next week for a chat on Toronto Mike'd.

Do you have any questions for him?

February 26, 2016 @ 10:00 AM

The Voice of Reason

@marosaar

Just like a Liberal is a Liberal is a Liberal.

Never trust one

February 26, 2016 @ 10:01 AM

I can't claim to know anything about Carly Meyers except she's coming from Calgary where she worked at X929 and will have the 9-1 shift on 102.1 the Edge.

February 26, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

Steve

Seems to me that successful radio morning people are known commodities (from TV usually)

Roz, Erin Davis, Landsberg, Marilyn, etc. All have profile outside of Radio show.

Rick Campanelli at least has that, a name, and I imagine Chorus is thinking they can promote the station with him. Listeners are probably more likely to choose a show where they know something about host.

More about Marketing than anything to do with on air ability. Although I've always liked Rick the Temp, and find him likable.

Do teenagers still listen to radio? The Edge was huge in my day, but I have a hard time believing 15 - 30 year olds still listen to the radio.

February 26, 2016 @ 10:13 AM

Rob

I like Rick but I am not sure how good he will be at radio. I don't enjoy Fred/Mel all that much so it I'm indifferent to the news.

I like Adam but I always felt the Edge needed someone stronger there. I think his personality and skill set is better in the evenings. Know nothing about Carley.

The Indie show with Carlin is the exact same. I don't know why the removed the previous host but the show sounds/does the same things just with a different voice. I wonder if there was something internal which led to the previous hosts dismissal because Carlin isn't bringing anything new to the show.

February 26, 2016 @ 10:15 AM

@Steve

My 14 year old never ever listens to the radio, but is always listening to music.

My 11 year old does listen to some 99.9 and 92.5 for her top 40 fix.

My 1 year old really likes Wheels on the Bus and listens on repeat.

February 26, 2016 @ 10:18 AM

David

Didn't think the Indie88 morning show could sound any more amateur. They proved me wrong.

February 26, 2016 @ 10:21 AM

Steve

Don Landry

- Is he still doing Radio? Last I heard he was going to start a show in London, ON

- he and Bill Hayes did a self made podcast/online radio show when they were both not working. Was it worthwhile? Or not worth the bother?

- news talk 1010 used to play Hayes and Landry show late at night.... Was that a paid gig? Or was that just to get on air and promote themselves?

- he likes Curling and CFL... Is there anyone more Canadian than him?

- you must get him to do Vic Rauter impression...

February 26, 2016 @ 10:30 AM

Steve

Don Landry

- he likes Curling and CFL... Is there anyone more Canadian than him?

- you must get him to do Vic Rauter impression...

February 26, 2016 @ 10:30 AM

Quint

I listen to Toronto Mike'd and Hubmle and Fred. It used to be you couldn't hear a month without a glowing statement about you. A story about your wedding or your help with the podcast or what a dear friend you are. I even heard them say you're the biggest reason their show exists outside of the two of them.

But they haven't mentioned you in a long, long time. Since you guest Freded and that awkward attack on you by Humble. Either you're now viewed as competition and persona non grata or there's been a falling out.

What the fuck happened?

February 26, 2016 @ 10:57 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Voice of Reason,
If we had a justice system that worked, the citizenship of this gentleman would be a non-issue.

@Yawnie,
You've shown everyone here that your a dick. Good job. Can you pick on somebody else now?

February 26, 2016 @ 11:00 AM

Karim

@TorontoMike Not sure if The Edge is really targeting people half you age. More 80s and 90s are being played heard New Order, Bowie, Talking Heads and The Hip this week.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:03 AM

@Karim

I exaggerate a little, but they definitely target 18-34.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:06 AM

Derek

Carly Meyers is Stu Meyers' daughter - FYI.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:12 AM

Karim

@TorontoMike Sounding more like 18-44 lately

February 26, 2016 @ 11:12 AM

@Derek

Very interesting...

If you heard my episode with Pete Fowler, he brought in the memo from Stu Meyers send to 102.1 staff after Martin Streek dropped an F-bomb on-air.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:14 AM

On a recent Open Mike, someone mentioned that 102.1 had dropped the "modern music" slogan. I tuned in the other day and heard them use it, so "modern music" is still active.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:18 AM

markosaar

Teens should listen to New Order, Bowie & Talking Heads! They were already before my time when I got into them.

Blue Monday, Everything's Gone Green & The Perfect Kiss really left an impression on me. For Bowie it was actually more Peter Schilling's referential song, Major Tom, that made me take notice. Psychokiller was super quirky but attention grabbing.

I got into all that music courtesy of Streek's Whiskey Saigon live-to-airs mostly, and to a certain extent Ongoing History of New Music.

February 26, 2016 @ 11:19 AM

fourteen

Anyways, this Trouser Nigelshrapnel is the best, she's very intolerant and anyways I'm going to hide under my bed until all the terrorists are deported. What is today's definition of a terrorist anyways?

February 26, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Mike I think Quint has a point. Humble and Fred seem to avoid using your name period. Why did Humble rip you to shreds?

February 26, 2016 @ 12:00 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

And dick number two shows up right on cue. Well done fourteen.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:02 PM

Wally

Recently cut the cord and have been living on Netflix, YouTube and streaming. It's fantastic.

Since that point I really started noticing how much advertisement there is on radio and decided to try and "cut the radio cord" (For reference my go-to stations were 94.9FM, 99.9fm, 590AM, 1050AM).

What a difference! Installed Spotify on my phone and have been using the free version without any complaints. The free version of the app plays 1 commercial every 30 minutes. Like probably many of you, my car does not have Bluetooth normally but I picked up this cigarette lighter Bluetooth transmitter. Most music services offer updated playlists of any genre so you are not constantly listening to the same songs over and over (tho you can make an argument that radio does this anyways)

Highly recommend cutting the radio cord.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:07 PM

Anyways

Yawnie and fourteen are two (or maybe one?) unoriginal commenters. Their trolling is similar to that of the Fake Cheryl commenter who posted a few years ago. The schtick got old then, and is merely recycled and stale now. Give it a rest.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:26 PM

Headsup

The last couple of times I have gone into my local branch of my bank of choice, I have heard The Edge playing in the background. Either the station has come, or has fallen, a long way. Should it really be called The Edge (or whatever they label themselves as) if they are no longer pushing the limits (or the edge) of rock radio?

February 26, 2016 @ 12:31 PM

That's Not My Name

Something is definitely up at Flow. If you go to http://www.flow935.com/Shows/ all the hosts are listed, but if you click on JJ&Melanie or Miss Ange's profiles you get an 'internal server' error.

All the male hosts (aside from JJ&Melanie's) are still online. Is JJ also gone, or is it because his profile is connected to Melanie's? Checking out Flow's Twitter and Instagram pages the only linkbacks are to the men.

J'Ness' blogs are still available, but her bio is gone. Going by her twitter she's already landed a new gig in Ottawa.

Meagan Coady's page is MIA completely.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:34 PM

The Voice of Reason

Some comments about Humble and Fred;

1. Too many bangers and rubbing noses in it.
2. Too much talking about CFNY or The Edge being the best radio station. It wasn't and CFRB would dispute it.
3. Too much Eileen trying to be funny. If the bit does not get a response the first time, she tries again. It wasn't funny - give it up.
4. Making Phil into a character that he is not. Leave him as is.
5. Panel of Women? Really? An overweight madam who just giggles is not a panel of Women. Loose this feature.
6. Panel of men. Boring self-promotion hounds. Not sure how they got there.
7. What is with the constantly increasing frequency of both H and F inhaling by through their teeth? It is annoying.
8. Musical guests that no one has heard of.
9. No more of Howard's kids. Nepotism is not allowed.
10. If I was a sponsor, I would want my sports to be read seriously. Not looking like Fit for life.
11. Howard, we don't care about your golf aspirations or the fact you are a member of a private course. I like to play too but not as seriously as you - it's for fun.

I am sure there are more, but that is all o have time for.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:42 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Anyways,
I hope they/them/he/her continues here for a bit.
I have to deal with stupid people from time to time and i'm hoping I can gain some insight into the truly inept through their musings.

February 26, 2016 @ 12:49 PM

Flow is re-launching on Monday morning.

So yes, something is up. :)

February 26, 2016 @ 1:45 PM

Douglas

Carly Meyers should be just fine at 102.1. I regularly stream X92.9; it is one of the stations I regularly listen to when I am at a computer. Why stream a local station when pretty much the whole world is out there on the internet? I've discovered many, many artists and spent a lot of money of the years buying their CDs* "thanks" to streaming.

* Blame licensing for having to purchase CDs, but I'm not complaining about that. I like CDs. What I despise is not being able to support an artist I like when I want to. For example, I like a lot of Australian artists/groups. Services like iTunes in Canada do not have those artists' material, and iTunes Australia will not allow me to even set up an account with them because I am in Canada.

February 26, 2016 @ 2:54 PM

Lyle Lanley

The new cable packages are a joke. The CRTC needs sharper teeth.

February 26, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

Lyle Lanley

And if Flow wanted to get noticed, they'd go all-Drake.

February 26, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

Lyle Lanley

And Mike, I noticed you didn't address the H+F nonsense. Good for you.

February 26, 2016 @ 4:40 PM

GAry

Radio stations just don't get it. It doesn't matter what talent they bring in if they continually play a repetitive loop of the same music. The Edge and Indie almost sound identical now (still way too many repeats). They could swap all on air talent and the results wouldn't change. The need to do something to stand out. Why are they so scared to take a chance? The software generated repetitive playlist is not working!

February 26, 2016 @ 4:49 PM

fourteen

I would like permission from Trouser Nigelshrapnel and Anyways to say that I agree with The Voice of Reason as regards H&F. Please advise.

February 26, 2016 @ 5:47 PM

andrew

@Cheryl

Can you name 2 players who have played in BOTH the Coyotes & Habs organizations (not necessarily NHL) this year??

A hint - 1 should up with the NHL team as a star, NHL A/Star game, NHL player of the week & now a movie about his exploits.
If he gets the chance I'm your TEAM will make the playoffs - LOL.

BTW - its Bell Fibe (not Phibe)

February 26, 2016 @ 6:35 PM

Judge Redfield T. Baum

@fourteen Proceed

February 26, 2016 @ 7:23 PM

Cheryl

Easy one. You want two players from the Habs and Coyotes. Okay Coyotes is Louis Domingue and Max Domi. Habs is Brendan Gallagher and Pk Subban. Anyway, so I spelled Fibe wrong. Who cares. All I know is I don't want Bell and I wish they didn't have to come into my apartment. Just get in, do your thing and leave me alone, stupid Bell. You're right, I'm not sure who I will cheer for in the Brier. Maybe Menard from Quebec. I know I don't want Jacobs or Howard to win. No more Dale Weise. He's gone to Chicago. My Habs traded him. My Habs better beat the Leafrs tonight. Come on, do it. Hopefully my Coyotes will win this afternoon as well.

February 27, 2016 @ 7:42 AM

andrew

Cheryl - the players you named did NOT play for BOTH Coyotes & Habs organizations.
Answer - the 1 & only John Scott.

February 27, 2016 @ 9:08 AM

Damon

Both Edge and Q are lost stations, gave up on both of them and now listen to 94.9 and just about nothing but.

February 27, 2016 @ 9:14 AM

steve

Firmly on side with the comments from Wally, Douglas, GAry & Damon.

So many Toronto FM playlists all swirling around the bowl, stuck because on air "talent" has little to no input, let alone personality.

Congratulations Big Corp media conglomerates, and CRTC fart-catchers, you've run radio into the ground.

February 27, 2016 @ 1:25 PM

steve

Questions for Dan Landry.

What's his version of a perfect radio gig?
Solo, partner.
AM.FM,
Sports.Talk.Music.
His thoughts on working with Marsden vs Stellick.

February 27, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

DUTCH

When working days which is not so much lately I would listen to the other edge 103.3 Shredd and Regan. American talk but some funny and interesting bits. 900 chml has old radio shows on late at night listened to dragnet on my way home the other nite.

February 27, 2016 @ 2:40 PM

Cheryl

Okay. So I messed up. Who cares. John Scott didn't play last night. I thought you wanted me to name two players from each team. Anyway, how about those Habs last night. They are going to make the playoffs. Habs won over the leafs. I told you the Habs are better. My Coyote lost though. That was no good, but my Suns and Nets both won. It's great. Anyway, during Habs games, they always play these commercials about Bell. Why does Bell get so much commercial time. They're about Bell and fibe TV. I don't want that junk either. I hate Bell. I guess they want everyone to use them. Primus never gets commercials. It's because Primus doesn't need commercials. Primus is good enough that smart people will go to them without commercials. I do not want Bell. It should be that the people who want Bell should have Bell come, but why they have to do every apartment, I don't know.

February 28, 2016 @ 5:06 AM

fourteen

Okay, that's it. "Cheryl" is a plant, and I bought it hook, line and sinker.

The first tell was "phibe". Someone so obtuse does not logically substitute ph for f.

But the give away is "Why does Bell get so much commercial time."

Me cepisti

February 28, 2016 @ 10:05 AM

Cheryl

Yikes. We're goingi to get 15 to 30 cm of heavy snow tomorrow and into Wednesday. It's awful. We get it nice and warm and now fricken winter is back. I hate winter. My trainer probably won't be able to make it tomorrow. Anyway, I like ice skating, but hate it when there are storms and stuff.

February 29, 2016 @ 6:33 AM

@watcher

Your comment was clipped because of the blatant antisemitism. That's not permitted here.

February 29, 2016 @ 7:26 AM

Anonymous

Mike, you were way over dressed for your ride yesterday! Saw you on the Humber, but didn't have time to chat and didn't want to interrupt your ride.

February 29, 2016 @ 2:07 PM

@anonymous

You're right, I was overdressed. But it was much, much cooler by the lake!

February 29, 2016 @ 2:20 PM

Cheryl

Awful night. My Coyotes and Habs both lost. This is no good. What's wrong with my Coyotes and Habs. Also my Nets lost. Anyway, 20 to 30 cm of snow tonight and into tomorrow. Well, it won't start until 5:00 so my trainer will make it. Anyway, I had enough winter. What caused it to be so warm on the weekend and now we get this garbage. Winter is good for going ice skating, but snow storms, forget it. I hate snow storms. Oh well, baseball spring training starts tomorrow, there will be baseball games and now I am really liking baseball. I am signed up for another year. I like it better than hockey and I didn't think I ever would, but I still like hockey though.

March 1, 2016 @ 7:49 AM

markosaar

@fourteen,

She's blind and uses software which does not work perfectly for reading and dictating. "Fibe" isn't a standard word so it's more than understandable that it could be written incorrectly.

March 1, 2016 @ 10:14 AM

fourteen

Ahhhhh, this explains a lot. Noted Markosaar, thanks for the tip.

March 1, 2016 @ 10:47 AM

Rob J

@fourteen
That did not sound like an apology.

March 1, 2016 @ 8:50 PM

fourteen

It was not an apology.

March 1, 2016 @ 9:38 PM

Cheryl

My Suns and mmy Nets both lost. Yes, I am blind and I use speech software and I didn't go into spell mode about fibe because I really don't care about Bell anyway. I hate Bell. Snow today. At least it didn't come yesterday and won't come tomorrow. My trainer has to take Go and TTC now because his car broke and it will cost a lot of money to fix it and he isn't sure it can be fixed anyway but he and his wife will purchase a new vehicle at some point, a van or something. In that case, my trainer will use his wife's car which is standard and my trainer only knows how to drive automatic cars. It's going to take him some time to learn how to drive standard. I don't drive, I'm blind, but that's probably going to be like learning how to drive all over again if you've only driven Automatic in your life. Anyway, my Orioles tied their first spring training gme. Hopefully they will win the next one.

March 2, 2016 @ 10:55 AM

Cheryl

My Habs lost. That's no good, but they lost. Hockey is not very good these days. My Orioles lost yesterday as well and lost big, but it's only exhibition. Good thing it didn't count.

March 3, 2016 @ 10:00 AM