Good! Let Others Have the Points

Last season was the first time in my life that I rooted for Maple Leaf losses, and I didn't start doing that until the second half of the season. I hated it.

This year, I'm finding it much easier. At this point, unless my son wants to watch the game with me, I don't even tune in. I scoreboard watch. Often I don't even check until the next morning, and when I see a Leafs loss, I'm happy. When I see a Leafs win, I'm disappointed.

Last night, on Twitter, I saw a number of Leaf fans embarrassed by the effort in Ottawa. Many, apparently, wanted the two points. This was me:

meme

This season, the goal is as high a draft pick as possible. Let others collect the points.

Daniel Marois

I was too young to remember watching the Leafs drafting Wendel Clark on TV. Now being 40, I want to experience seeing the Leafs drafting a potential superstar in Matthews, Laine, etc. Look at the generations who have passed away since '67 and never seen a star nhler drafted by the Leafs since Sittler (we'll leave the Tukka Rask argument for another day).

Fans who are impatient and roll their eyes at the true beleafers who understand this process and why it is required. It is extremely difficult to trade for superstars, let alone sign them (we'll leave the Stamkos discussion for another time!).

I hated watching the Floridas, Columbuses and Tampa Bays benefiting from #1 picks in markets that are not as paramount as Toronto.
It's not the fans fault the team has not won a cup or built a roster with stars. That's why we should count our lucky stars we have his solid management and coaching staff.

Speaking of luck, anyone have any lucky rituals we can perform the day of the lottery draft? ;)

February 7, 2016 @ 9:51 AM

GUNTer

I can't do it. I fully understand why you don't want the points - but I can't watch my beloved team win and......be happy about it.
never.

February 7, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

GUNTer

whoops.....I meant to say 'I can't watch my beloved team LOSE and....be happy about it'

February 7, 2016 @ 10:13 AM

Anonymous

Same here I would never root for the Leafs to lose in the hopes to attain a # 1 Pick.I get the logic if you wish otherwise..just not how I was built. In 2015..we had a 9.5% chance to pick 1st & lost to Oilers with a 11.5% chance..their pick? Connor McDavid..Forget a name like Alexander Daigle..wonder what he is doing right now. The upside, I finally trust the Management within the organization to make the right decisions. No one player wins a Cup for a team. Neither does 1st rounders with playoff inexperience.How are the Oilers doing & ask yourself have many lotteries they have won? We need a core with a combo of leadership experience & youth

February 7, 2016 @ 11:56 AM

TripleZer0

Of course there is always the option of life without sports. You can spend your time doing many other things versus paying the overinflated salaries of a bunch of athletes.

February 7, 2016 @ 12:31 PM

I found it very difficult to watch while rooting for losses, so I stopped watching.

I'll know when it's time to root for wins, and that's when I'll be tuning back in. I'm hopeful this is as soon as next season.

February 7, 2016 @ 12:33 PM

Anonymous

I agree. Best course of action. I was at the game on Thursday vs Devils & saw Sittlers ceremony, nail biting 3rd period..my first 3v3 live & a shootout win. Then I got hyped up watching HockeyDay in Canada minus the Habs win & then the Leaf get oblitirated.Team plays like day & night.

February 7, 2016 @ 12:45 PM

JJ

Next time Babcock doesn't have his team prepared for a game let us know in advance so we don't bet on these LOSERS.

Top-priced coach, low-priced talent. (not really, they still make a decent living compared to the rest of us)

February 7, 2016 @ 1:19 PM