Dion Phaneuf Traded to Sens

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded captain Dion Phaneuf, Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and Cody Donaghey in exchange for Jared Cowen, Colin Greening, Milan Michálek, Tobias Lindberg and a 2nd-round draft pick in 2017.

Dion Phaneuf was brought to Toronto in a big 7-player swap with Calgary back in 2010. I enjoyed his Leafs debut from the 3rd row.

Today, Phaneuf is a 30-year old with five years remaining on a seven-year contract he signed two seasons ago worth an average annual value of $7 million. Quite simply, he had to go.

I never hated him the way many Leafs fans did, but I understand where that anger comes from. He was our captain, paid to be a top pairing defenseman, but failing to deliver on the promise of either. It's time to move on....

Update:

On episode 74 of my podcast, Jeff Marek told me what went wrong for Dion in Toronto. Here's that short 1:45 clip.

Argie

Oh sweet Mother of God. Thanks be to God. Yes folks, I'm happy.

February 9, 2016 @ 11:17 AM

Douglas

Yeah. OK. Whatever. So what.
No more pylon jokes.
Who cares. As if anything will really change.
Is anyone still really paying attention to the blue and white? If so, why bother? Go watch paint dry. Or watch games with other/better teams.

February 9, 2016 @ 11:25 AM

mrmojorisinca

and no Salary retained..that part is huge!

February 9, 2016 @ 11:35 AM

Argie

Its so obvious Phaneuf's contract was a mistake (as many of us stated at the time) when you see Byfuglien's new deal (7 mil per year for 5 years). He's a much better D than Phaneuf.

February 9, 2016 @ 11:37 AM

Al The Royal Pain

As I've already tweeted...

Phaneuf is GONE! Long live the Shanaplan!

Never thought I'd see the day when both Argie and I would be happy about the same story. ;)

February 9, 2016 @ 11:53 AM

My oldest learning about the trade....

February 9, 2016 @ 11:56 AM

Rob J

100% Leaf fan-media groupthink adulation of the move...when has that ever been wrong before?

February 9, 2016 @ 12:29 PM

Guy Smiley

This is a great move for Toronto, whether you like Dion or not. Gives the Leafs more flexibility in their rebuild, as well as a decent prospect and pick.

February 9, 2016 @ 12:52 PM

Just remember what I wrote only two days ago. I want this team to lose this season: http://www.torontomike.com/2016/02/good_let_others_have_the_points.html

Our NHL roster today is worse than it was yesterday. Therefore, we should lose more game than we would have. I like this.

In addition to the cap space, which the Sens are less concerned with because they're not a cap team, we got a prospect and a pick and retain no salary.

That's a win-win-win. And the Sens weren't fleeced, as they're a better hockey team today than they were yesterday, and they're actually trying to make the playoffs.

February 9, 2016 @ 1:24 PM

Boomer

To unload "The Pilon" horrible contract and get a 2nd round pick?

It's a great day for Leaf fans.

February 9, 2016 @ 1:32 PM

Argie

Phaneuf was a decent defenseman, but certainly not a top 1 or 2 guy. The main benefit of this deal is that they now have cap space to spend when or if they become a contending team. Hopefully that happens soon.

February 9, 2016 @ 1:35 PM

Ghost of Irvine

Calgary says hello

February 9, 2016 @ 2:28 PM

GUNTer

im in the minority here but i think this sucks. eff the 'cap space' eff cheering to lose.
just....eff.

February 9, 2016 @ 2:31 PM

Mel Preston

I personally didn't mind Dion. He played hard every game. He was just miscast in his role here as a #1 Dman. He should do fine in Ottawa behind Karlsson who will get the big minutes.

This trade is a big win for the Leafs though. In summary, they trade $33M in future salary considerations for $11.7M. So important for a rebuilding franchise.

So in the past year, Leafs have traded ('the untradeble') contracts of Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf; retain just $1.2M - a savings of over $19M per year. That is one heck of a good job. Now hopefully they spend wisely!

February 9, 2016 @ 4:29 PM

In episode 74 of Toronto Mike'd, Jeff Marek and I talked about Dion Phaneuf.

Here's Jeff telling me what went wrong with Dion in Toronto. The game he speaks about off the top was Dion's first game as a Leaf, the game I attended.

February 9, 2016 @ 4:41 PM

James Edgar

Great move! I was never a hater (nor a huge either ) but that cap room is awesome.

I am honestly more optimistic that the Leafs are really going to rebuild and not settle for 1st round mediocrity than i was before. even after the Clarkson and Kessel trades i was still worried the lure of the playoffs combined with the attitude change that the team seems to have made under Babcock would cause them to try and take shortcuts.

Here's hoping for that elusive 1st pick overall.

February 10, 2016 @ 12:22 PM