The Force Awakens (100% Spoiler Free)

I saw the new Star Wars film this afternoon. I'm not going to say a word about the film itself, just the experience, as it was a number of firsts for me.

This was the first time I purchased movie tickets in advance. I bought four regular tickets for today's noon showing about a week ago, and paid via Paypal. Because it's a Tuesday, the tickets were only $7.99 each.

This was also the earliest I had ever arrived at a film. The showing was at noon, but we all got to the theatre at about ten minutes to eleven. Only three people were in the theatre, so we put our jackets on four amazing seats and grabbed some grub at Tim Hortons. By 11:30, the theatre was jammed.

2015-12-30_06-44-11

I had been dodging online spoilers for weeks, and I'm pleased to report I went into this movie knowing nothing more than you'd know from the trailer and poster.

Sweet nostalgia FTW!

andrew

I won't spend 5 cents watching something I have no interest in.
I would rather watch paint dry.

For those interested I'm sure you were entertained.

Not my cup of T.

December 29, 2015 @ 7:54 PM

GUNTer

my husband is a big fan, so bought two tickets well in advance. we saw it on the first Friday - at 11:45pm. ugh.
I managed the first 15 minutes before I fell utterly and completely asleep. he had to wake me up to leave the theatre.
he loved the film and has been back once with a friend.

December 29, 2015 @ 7:57 PM

Broni

This was the first movie I've done reserved assigned seating. I wouldn't do it for many movies, but this time around we got there 10 minutes before showtime and slid into our reserved empty seats.

December 29, 2015 @ 11:05 PM

Argie

I'm with Andrew, you couldn't pay me to see this movie. Over the Christmas break, I've sat through the previous 6 SW movies with my 7 year old. She really wanted to see them (thanks to the massive media hype) and for the life of me I don't understand how anyone over the age of 12 could enjoy this.

The corn-ball dialogue, the over done fight scenes and the brutal acting (specifically by Natalie Portman & Hayden Christiansen) left me wanting to run away screaming from the TV. However, she's my daughter so I suffered through these 6 SW movies. I hope one day she appreciates what I did for her....

December 30, 2015 @ 8:32 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I reserved VIP tickets for tomorrow, so I'm also going to show up a minute before the start of the film and wave my dick at people just for good measure (pun intended). Oh wait..that won't work since the whole theatre is VIP...ok so in that case I'll walk by the regular theatre waving my dick at the people in the lineup and then proceed directly to jail.

My wife hadn't seen any of ep 4, 5 or 6 so we watched those in prep for tomorrow's screening. I agree that there is some really fucking hokey dialogue, and it annoys the shit out of me how incompetent those storm troopers are. I also felt the added CGI was distracting and silly extra scene with Solo and Jabba in ep 4 was ridiculous, and made Jabba seem like a bit of a pussy.

I used to sneak booze into the theatre when i was younger - last time I did that a bunch of us got hammered watching Fight Club - but I guess I'll be an adult and pay 14 bucks for a beer..they should throw in a god damn monacle for that price.

Anyway, like Abrams modernized star trek but stuck to the roots, here's hoping he does the same with SW..and on another note, I think the font choice used for "the force awakens" is weak.

December 30, 2015 @ 10:03 AM

Spoiler-free comment below!

I watched the first 3 films (episodes 4-6) in theatres, all when I was under the age of 10. I loved them so much.

I didn't see any of the next three in theatres, but my firstborn fell in love with all six on DVD, so we'd watch them all the time. I strongly disliked episodes 1 and 2, so we mainly just watched episodes 3,4,5 and 6. Don't worry, he saw the podracing and Jar-Jar Binks crap enough times. I actually really dug Return of the Sith.

So here we are... episode 7, and a very high Rotten Tomato score. My oldest two kids really wanted to see it in theatres, my wife just loves an event, and I'm still nutso for the original trilogy I loved as a kid.

It was an absolute no-brainer to spend the $8 each to see this film on our holiday. And when that music started, and the Star Wars logo hit the screen, I was ten again.

Everybody wins, but if you didn't love these films when you were a kid, the only reason to see it is for your own kids.

December 30, 2015 @ 12:13 PM

DUTCH

Episode IV in 1977 was epic for me, as I was 15 then. My mother worked on the mountain, oh I live in the hammer now but back then we lived in Caledonia. Anyway every Saturday for 3 weeks after It opened I would catch a ride into the city, take a bus to the center mall, get my ticket for the first showing of the day and stay in the theatre till 2 or so when I would have to leave to go back up the hill and go back home. This went on for about 3 straight Saturdays. It works out to about 3 showings a day, oh to be 15 again.

December 30, 2015 @ 1:31 PM

James Edgar

We bought reserved AVX (I think that's what it's called) tickets and went to the 10:30 am show Monday . We loved it.it has the same feel as episode 4-6 that so hooked me when they came out.

It will be a long two year wait for episode 8.

December 30, 2015 @ 2:43 PM