Scott Weiland, Dead at 48

Scott WeilandScott Weiland was 48. He was the lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, two bands I've seen live and thoroughly enjoy.

In 1993, I was heavily into Pearl Jam, then I heard "Plush" on the radio. My gut reaction was that it was a Pearl Jam cover band, but after hearing it a few more times, I found myself singing it aloud at the top of my lungs. "Plush" led me to buying Core, an album i just loved.

By 1994, I was spending most Monday nights at The Phoenix for Strange Paradise. That's where I first heard "Vasoline" from their follow-up, Purple. Purple was far more polished than Core, which meant more epic radio singles. "Interstate Love Song" and "Big Empty" are two songs you're going to hear a lot this weekend, but they're pretty damn great.

In 2000, I caught the Stone Temple Pilots and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Molson Amp. I was quick on the draw and scored sweet seats, just behind Blue Jays pitcher David Wells. STP were fantastic that night.

I caught Velvet Revolver at that same amphitheatre in 2007 and Scott was still on. It was a triple threat: STP hits, Velvet Revolver hits and Guns N' Roses hits. In 2008, I saw Stone Temple Pilots for the last time at Edgefest in Downsview Park. STP was scheduled to go on before Linkin Park and there was no doubt Scott wasn't happy about it. When he still hadn't taken the stage an hour after his scheduled time, I actually checked my phone to ensure he hadn't passed away.

And that was the deal with Scott. We knew he wasn't long for this world. He was an addict who struggled with heroin abuse, and when I saw Scott Weiland I thought of Layne Staley, who died of a heroin overdose in 2002 at the young age of 36. Here's an entry I wrote about the trouble with Scott Weiland in 2004.

I've always been a big fan of STP. I saw them a few years back and Weiland was electric on stage. I was sorry to hear the band broke up this year and I included their farewell single in my top five of 2003. Unfortunately, the man is seriously addicted to smack and I'm afraid he's not long for this world so long as he keeps falling off the wagon. I've believed this to be the case for a while, even picking him in the Dead Pool my brothers and I drafted back in 2000.

So many musicians I dig have died as a result of a heroin overdose. Brad Nowell, lead singer of Sublime, died of a heroine overdose in '96. Their self-titled third and final release remains one of my favourite discs of all time. Andrew Wood, lead singer of Seattle's Mother Love Bone, died of a heroin overdose just prior to the release of their major label debut in '90. Members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hole and Sex Pistols have all succumbed to a heroin overdose. Layne Staley, lead singer for another of my favourite bands of all-time, Alice in Chains, died two years ago of a heroin overdose. Lest we forget Kurt Cobain, lead singer of Nirvana. His death certificate may claim he died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound, but there is no doubt as to the role heroin played in his untimely demise. This was the hardest pill to swallow.

Here's hoping Scott Weiland doesn't join the others in this tragic club. I fear it's already too late. It's just a matter of time before he succeeds.

We don't yet know what killed Scott, he's claimed he's clean now, but I'm betting decades of self abuse played a role. Trippin' on a hole in a paper heart.

Update: Police found cocaine on his tour bus.

STP

Moon Zappa

RIP Scott

December 4, 2015 @ 8:56 AM

Al The Royal Pain

In my books, he was a top ten rock frontman. So sad, but not surprising. It's more surprising that he lasted this long.

December 4, 2015 @ 8:59 AM

Dave

Unconfirmed reports are saying he was found dead and bloated and smelling like a rose :(

December 4, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

mrmojorisinca

RIP SCOTT, you will be missed but your music will go on!
Maybe you and Kurt can talk about Too Cool Queenie

December 4, 2015 @ 11:08 AM

Let's see if this works...

This is the last time I saw Scott Weiland perform.

December 4, 2015 @ 11:32 AM

mrmojorisinca

Mike seems you and I attend alot of the same Shows..I believe this is the last time I saw him as well..

Rumor's are about PJ will b here in May..see you there?

December 4, 2015 @ 1:41 PM

@mrmojorisinca

My very best Pearl Jam story is one I have never shared in public and will likely never share on this blog or on my podcast.

The result, though, was free tickets left for me at the will call window for many, many years. The last time this happened, unfortunately, was August 2009. A change of policy with Pearl Jam eliminated the free tickets for guitar technicians.

Here's my little shrine to the shows I did see: http://www.torontomike.com/pearljam.html

December 4, 2015 @ 1:44 PM

mrmojorisinca

You should share :)

I've been to every PJ show except two here in Toronto..
THe Lollapalooza gig I missed and one at Maple Leafs Gardens during the TM fiasco.
However I made up for those by attending a whole bunch in the US and a couple in Ireland :)..tried to see them Italy but it was rained out..I still blame my bloody valentine (I think thats the name) caused the gods to open up the sky and rain like it never has before..that was a pretty crazy day in Venice :) whole city was paralyzed

so no more PJ for you? you wouldn't pay to see them?

December 4, 2015 @ 1:51 PM

@mrmojorisinca

Absolutely I'd pay to see them. I definitely paid to see them in Barrie back in '98. I still wear the Yield shirt I bought at that show.

Sorry for not answering your question... I will likely go to this show. What an amazing live band.

December 4, 2015 @ 1:55 PM

mrmojorisinca

100% agree.

December 4, 2015 @ 1:59 PM

J9

@ Dave - very good!

I also saw STP with RHCP at Molson in 2000, although I was on the lawn not in sweet seats at the front. Love both bands, and my daughter was often rocked to sleep with their tunes playing. (her lullabies, we call them.)

Sad news for sure, but not surprising. I read a post which said Weiland "had a rock'n'roll heart, which is a dangerous thing" and thought that seemed very accurate.

December 5, 2015 @ 6:30 PM

NW

Always enjoyed the hidden track at the end of "Purple".

December 6, 2015 @ 1:57 PM