Lake Shore Cycle Track Close to Fruition

In the spring of 2014, I wrote about the stretch of the Waterfront Trail between Norris Crescent and First Street. This is really the only part of the trail that's not off-road, not on quiet side streets and doesn't have a designated bike lane.

I followed that entry up with an update in July of 2014. I contacted my counsellor about it, and he told me they were looking at it. in fact, there was a study done, and they were actually looking at it.

Now, we're very close. There's an open house tonight, but I can't be there as it conflicts with my boy's hockey game. Here's what's coming, and a pic of what it will look like.

The City of Toronto is planning a 1.4km cycle track along Lake Shore Boulevard West from Norris Crescent to First Street, west of Mimico Waterfront Park in Etobicoke, Ward 6. The new cycle track will provide a safe connection for cyclists, and will close a gap in the Waterfront Trail.

Lakeshore Cycle Track at Royal York Draft July 2

It's even better than I had hoped. I can't wait to ride it.

Broni

This will be great, and much needed.
If it is done the same way they've done Sherbourne, Richmond/Adelaide and even Roncesvalles, it will be a huge success and it won't affect car traffic at all.

I too was hoping to go to tonight's public meeting, but cannot. A few years ago I went to the public meeting for the ice skating trail in Sam Smith Park, and there were actually people there getting all heated, coming out against it. It was insane.

December 8, 2015 @ 1:46 PM

@Broi

That's crazy. The Sam Smith rink is the best outdoor skating setup in the city!

December 8, 2015 @ 1:50 PM

CQ

No way will I ever ride a bicycle going against the flow of car traffic as the pink shirt is shown.
Doesn't matter if cement curb blocks are put into place either.  The designated parkland road path within the cycling route NW of 401 and 400 has that example.

December 8, 2015 @ 3:11 PM

Broni

@ Mike
Those meetings must bring out the crazies. One lady complained that the extra people would scare away all the birds. Other people were convinced it would become a drug haven.
When the city representative said there would be music playing, people complained about "all the noise".
In the end, the trail is shorter than originally planned because they appeased a group that demanded certain trees not be moved.

December 8, 2015 @ 3:22 PM

Broni

@ CQ
That guy in the pink shirt is actually safer because he can see what's coming.
Anyway, I'm willing to bet this Cycle Track will have traffic dividers like posts or planters like they have on Richmond/Adelaide/Simcoe.

December 8, 2015 @ 3:23 PM

@Broni

If that were a television show, I'd watch it.

December 8, 2015 @ 3:41 PM

Anonymous

Did I miss something? I went up Norris to Lakeshore and then to Third and didn't see this track. What street do we need to turn on to get back on the Waterfront Trail? All the streets I tried led to no exits and parking lots. I was really looking forward to exploring further west on my bike this year. Thanks for your help.

June 12, 2016 @ 12:59 PM

@Anonymous

You didn't miss a thing. They haven't started construction on this yet.

June 12, 2016 @ 1:27 PM