Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 144: Elvis and Ian

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 144In this 144th episode, Mike and Elvis are joined by the guy who hosts the Toronto Mike'd podcast and many important issues of the day are discussed. There's talk of calendar invitation etiquette, the incoming methadone clinic in the neighbourhood, Elvis's appearance on Cash Cab, a review of recent guests and much, much more. This episode is exactly 1:02:21.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

elvis

Great episode!

November 26, 2015 @ 10:00 AM

fourteen

Missed you Elvis, come round more often.

November 26, 2015 @ 10:29 PM

Andrew

Man....you picked the worst time to show up at the mobile.
As I like to say, the viewing public does not see the chaos that goes on behind the scenes.

And yes, Mike should get the three boom arms for his mics and also a nice compressor/expander so when people wander off mic, they disappear into the nether.

Cheers,
Andrew

November 27, 2015 @ 5:40 PM

elvis

Thanks fourteen.

And Andrew - I was just busting balls...it obviously had nothing to do with you!

November 28, 2015 @ 4:49 PM

Anon&on

Generally boycotting Elvis episodes, but skimming through to hear any insight on past guests as per the description, I listened in on the microphone talk before bailing out.
Currently subscribed (culled from +100) to a bare minimum of 59 podcasts that I listen to loyally, regularly, or episodically- most have acceptable audio throughout each episode. Some have glitches within an episode, some have low end audio consistently, some are totally pro. Even the lower end audio production is fine if it is consistent. It becomes part of the sound signature (just like a voice print) of that podcast, familiar.

I have to say, there are only 2 podcasts I can think of where the host regularly (if ever on mic) chides their guests about microphone behaviour- T.O. Mike'd and H&F. Coincidence? To me, it sounds like a power play by the host. You are putting the guest in their place. Sorry, but that's the way it comes off every time. Can't you have a little sign or visual reminder that you can point to during the conversation instead of humiliating your guest and throwing off the conversation for the inevitable apology/explanation/excuse/save face segment?

One of my favourite audio experiences in podcasting is Taggart&Torrens. One guy has gone to great expense and cost for his audio setup complete with recommended mic and proper pro sound dampening in a dedicated isolated space. The other guy uses a $40 mic plunged into his iPhone at his kitchen table. Guess who always sounds great? Guess who sounds like he's in a tin can? It so perfectly describes those characters and that podcast.

November 29, 2015 @ 9:26 PM

@Anon&on

It's no powerplay, I just want the guest to stay on the microphone or I'll sound much louder and the listening experience will suck.

November 29, 2015 @ 9:40 PM

elvis

Even "professional" radio broadcasters ask guests to get on the mic if they don't sound good. I've heard Bob McCown and Howard Stern both do so.

November 30, 2015 @ 9:07 PM

Al The Royal Pain

This episode sucked! For old times' sake.

December 1, 2015 @ 10:57 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

Another shitty Elvis episode records tomorrow!

December 1, 2015 @ 11:09 AM

Andrew

@ Anon&On

I helped the Taggart N' Torrens podcast with Jono's setup in the beginning and it still doesn't sound great, but it's not because he spent a lot of money on it. Quite the opposite. Jeremy uses a mic pickup for his phone and they have their conversation via the phone, record sound files and then Tim Oxford (drummer for The Arkells and overall sound guy) mixes those shows in post.

Mike wanted a live recording - where the conversation was personal, close and in person. In order to achieve that sound I gave him recommendations based on what I think are good products for the budget he had. He does all his own mixing and recording and producing and uploading by himself. As someone who likes 'good' audio, I want those guests to be on mic. Mike wants his guests to sound the best they can and with those mics, you need to be on mic.

I have no problem with asking him or any host of any production asking their people to use the gear to their advantage. You have no idea how many times I will get in someone's ear at work and tell them to get that mic a little closer or speak a little louder. I could have told Mike to buy cheaper, low quality mic's, but then people would be complaining that all you could hear was everyone else in the house making noise, or reverb from the room or echo, or whatever.

I'm hoping Mike shell's out the $$ and gets the mic boom arms I've recommended - that way, guests can sit back in their chairs and place the mic where they'd like too.. as long as it's good and tight :)

Cheers,
Andrew

December 1, 2015 @ 8:01 PM

@Andrew

So you don't think it's a power play on my part? You know, letting Norm Wilner know who's boss....

December 1, 2015 @ 8:09 PM