The Leaf: Blueprint

Right after the Leafs game ended last night, TSN aired episode one of The Leaf: Blueprint. It's a documentary series about this Leafs team, although drenched in extreme bias. It's an MLSE production, so it's as much a PR mechanism as anything.

It opens with Brendan Shanahan talking about growing up a Leafs fan. Shanahan grew up in Mimico (as if you didn't know that) and went to my high school, so I've been a fan forever. His little story about seeing Bill Derlago drive by while in the car being driven to Sherway Gardens is as relatable as any hockey story I've ever heard.

So yes, it's a propaganda machine, but it looks good and sells hard all we have: hope.

Here's episode one if you missed it.

I'm just sorry MLSE didn't name this series The Shanaplan.

Rob J

I'd watch a Frank D'Angelo movie marathon before I'd tune in to this

November 24, 2015 @ 9:22 AM

@Rob J

Lucky for you, viewing is completely optional.

November 24, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

Argie

I've always been a Shanahan fan (on and off the ice) as well but I do hope to hell he knows what he's doing.

November 24, 2015 @ 9:53 AM

Argie

Just finished watching the episode (OK, I'm not busy at work today) and I thought it was really good. I love the early part of it where Shanahan talks about growing up in Toronto and says (I'm paraphrasing) 'the thought of cheering for another team never entered my mind.' Like him I grew up in Toronto and naturally became a Leaf fan. Its like I had no choice.

So the question I have for those Toronto-born Hab or Philly fans: what the hell is wrong with you???

November 24, 2015 @ 2:14 PM

@Argie

I took note of that line, too. Like you, I grew up in Toronto, and have always been a Leafs fan. I had no choice.

My oldest son is a diehard Leafs fan, too, but he's got friends who have adopted Chicago or Montreal as their teams. Why? I don't get it...

November 24, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

Mrmojorisinca

I was a Leaf fan as a kid who switched to the Habs because the Leafs traded away my favourite player Russ Courtnall to the Habs. In High school I wore 69 not because of the innuendo but because he wore 9 with the Leafs and 6 with the Habs. I then lost interest in Hockey after the first work stoppage..but recently started watching again and am a Leaf fan..as hard as it is to be one some times :) but ultimately just want to see a good old hockey game :)

November 24, 2015 @ 3:01 PM

elvis

We grew up with a shitty Leaf team but it was the only team on TV. Today, you can watch any team and kids will generally gravitate towards a winning team. Add in degenerate parents and you get a young Habs fan.

November 24, 2015 @ 8:38 PM

headsup

This documentary series ought to be called The Leaf: Bluepill. MLSE might as well start selling indulgences along with their other cash-driven ventures.

I started paying attention to sports as a young kid in the early '90's. Consequently, my rooting interests today are the Leafs, Jays, Raptors, and Bills. Three quarters of my teams were legitimate contenders at that time. I bought into the Raptors as it was the new team, and as fans we were getting in on the groun floor so to speak.

Kids today aren't stupid. What real intelligence is there in backing a constant loser? Any decent red pill-pusher should back the Hawks, Pens, even the Wings... And dare I say the Habs. For those of us with over twenty years of loyalty to Toronto teams, we know the joy of winning, or at least having a shot to win it all. It may seem hard for us to jump ship at random - unless one has a trainer who eggs them on.

Blue-and-white pill poppers should give the young Rangers or Oilers fans a break. At least those teams have had something worth believing in over the past decade.

November 25, 2015 @ 8:11 AM

Broni

@ Argie @ Mike

I grew up in Vancouver when the Canucks stank. But I was a Canucks fan anyway, for the same reason you became Leafs fans: because they were the team geographically closest to my house.

The other choice is to become a fan of a successful team instead, and I don't begrudge anybody who makes that choice when their "home" team is terrible.

November 25, 2015 @ 2:12 PM

But there's nothing better than when your home team tastes success and the entire city is buzzing with the fever.

When the Black Hawks win the cup, there's no parade on Yonge St.

November 25, 2015 @ 2:15 PM