Remember

poppyOn the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Canadians pause and remember the thousands of men and women who sacrificed their lives fighting for freedom and democracy during the First World War, the Second World War, the Korean War, the Afghanistan conflict and during peacekeeping missions.

I've scoured my site for relevant entries. Here are some you may want to revisit today.

Here are some entries about Alfred Finley, a veteran and familiar face in Bloor West Village for many years.

And to those who served, or are serving this great country right now, I have one word: Thanks.

Derek

I had the privilege to vist both Vimy Ridge, Dieppe and Flanders a few years ago. I think every Canadian should take this trip. Being there gives you a greater sense of what our soldiers had to deal with. At Vimy, you see how remarkably close the trenches were to one another and you also see areas that are still roped off because the locals are still finding live ammunition lodged amidst the giant craters left from that awful battle... (I do have a fairly amusing picture of a guy cutting the grass right under the danger sign). Being on the shores at Dieppe or Normandy breathes life into the old stories and black and white footage and leaves one with a greater sense of gratitude to our forefathers for serving and winning us the freedom we so often take for granted. Lest we forget.

November 11, 2015 @ 10:10 AM

Rob J

As someone on twitter mentioned, 'to the 23 percent of the homeless, thanks for your service'.

November 11, 2015 @ 10:28 AM

dale

In the last few years I see much more admiration & recognition for our vets & current service people than before, especially the younger generation.

It's because of all of you that we live the life we have now.
Thanks to everyone serving Canada now & in the past.

November 11, 2015 @ 5:55 PM

GUNTer

Not sure if its due to my ever increasing age but this year Remembrance Day really hit me. I watched several different ceremonies and thought a lot about those who have fought for my freedom and shed some tears.

I found this interactive map very interesting and spent quite a bit of time reading all the bits of info.

Thank you Dad wearever you be for your service and thank you to all who have served/are serving this beautiful country.

November 11, 2015 @ 6:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Dale, totally agree. I go with my father who is a WW2 Vet to a Remembrance Day ceremony in Scarborough, and Cliffside Public School nearby always have students read in Flanders Fields, and this year they had a small choir that sang (sung?) Bob Dylans blowing in the wind and the Holleys He ain't heavy, he's my brother. I have watched the kids be more engaged every year and sincerely interested.
My Father spoke at Chine Drive Public School last week, and the level of interest from the kids was very touching and humbling for him.

November 11, 2015 @ 9:32 PM

Douglas

Yesterday, I joined two people from my office and went to the Remembrance Day ceremony at the cenotaph in Whitby. I wasn't sure what to expect, but 1,500 to 2,000 people was fantastic to see. The very brief parade at the end featured one remaining veteran from World War II, but everyone in the parade were given a standing ovation. That was the most moving part of the whole ceremony. If it didn't touch you, you don't have a heartbeat, let alone any thanks for the free world we are privileged to live in today.

November 12, 2015 @ 11:32 AM

Stephen

We went on a cruise a couple of months ago. At one of the stops, in Belgium, I took a tour that included Flanders Fields and some of the surrounding area. While touring the cemeteries, it was impossible not to notice how well maintained they were, with many wreaths placed by "The Government of Canada". It was clear that despite the passage of years, everything was lovingly maintained. I will never forget, especially when a family, noticing my Canadian flag pin, stopped to shake my hand and thank me. I protested that I had done nothing, and wasn't even born yet when our troops liberated their country, but they were moved to sincerely thank me anyway. It was particularly heart-warming that they were instilling, by example, their pride and gratitude into their children. We should do likewise.

November 14, 2015 @ 4:27 PM