Do You Remember Club 102 on CHCH TV in Hamilton?

I've been conversing with a documentary filmmaker producing a film about Martin Streek. He's been listening to my podcast as a source of research, which fills me with great pride.

We had a chat yesterday about Chris Sheppard and his thoughts on Martin Streek. Shep would often say "often imitated, never duplicated" and there's a hypothesis that this was a reaction to Martin Streek taking over Club 102 from him after he left CFNY. One day I'd love to have Chris Sheppard on my podcast to hear his take on that, but in the meantime it's interested food for thought.

We also talked about Club 102 being broadcast on CHCH TV. There's little about this short-lived show online except for a couple of YouTube clips and this comment left on this very site.

Do you remember Club 102 on CHCH TV in Hamilton? What can you tell me about this show?

MM

@torontomike not much. Kinda a alternative version of electric circus where they would show the video with intercuts of the "club" action...

— Michael Moniz (@mikesmoniz) November 25, 2015

@torontomike ...in the studio. The standout memory for me is Shep introducing The Cult She Sells Sanctuary.

— Michael Moniz (@mikesmoniz) November 25, 2015
November 25, 2015 @ 11:20 AM

Shap

Gave him an excuse to cut out early from the station and drive to a club gig for the rest of the night—where the real money was. Martin's thing was the live-to-air but Shep was primarily in the studio in those earlier years, like David Marsden who preceded him.

November 25, 2015 @ 11:23 AM

Shap

To clarify, the TV show was simulcast on the raydeeo.

November 25, 2015 @ 11:24 AM

Anonymous

Re: Club 102. It's a long time ago, but I remember living in Brampton and watching the show. It wasn't on for a long time and honestly wasn't really that good. MUCH's "City Limits" was much superior

The TV show came on the air in 1988 or 89 arguably CFNY went into decline (arguably around late 1987). Initially the radio show Club 102 was great. Sheppard would venture into the world of electronica, house and rave music. This was unheard of in Toronto but the type of music in the UK. Sheppard could be heard playing L'il Louie - French Kiss (a house song complete with a female orgasm recorded in the studio at the time) to "Voodoo Ray" from a Guy Called Gerald. It was also Sheppard that first played Public Enemy as well as a bunch of other hiphop (think Ice-T, Kool Moe Dee, etc). When new management came to the station it was clear that the playlist was very limited. At the end of the whole exercise it was just awful.

I do remember after Shep was turfed from the show him commenting someone about CHCH management and cocaine use. I remember because he played "She Watch Channel Zero" from Public Enemy right after mentioning it. Not long after 102.1 crumbled and it was all over.

Shep ended up down at 107.9 with Scot Turner and Wayne Williams. I recall he did shows both Friday and Saturday and there are airchecks of "you're DX'ing with Chris Sheppard". The shows on 107.9 were less about alternative rock and more about electronic, dance and hiphop which, where at the time, "the" type of music.

Another interesting point was that "Deadly Headly" followed Sheppard on 102.1. He was full out 'rave' music overnights. It was some wild radio and the guy was way out there. I used to listen to him and David Wisdom on CBC Radio 2 overnights on weekends. Wisdom was great. I remember in 92ish him getting Courtney Love on the show and her freaking out, telling him to fuck off and hanging up. He was so bizarre he had no idea what 90210 was (a huge TV show at the time).

In the early days you could hear Shep play some crazy shit...song that comes to mind was Cocaine and Sex by Renegade Sound Wave? Club 102 played the harder edge of modern music at the time & stay away from the more folksy stuff like Blow Monkeys, etc

Chris Sheppard deserves respect because he introduced club culture to Canada. It had taken Europe by storm. He was also the first DJ to really embrace hip hop long before Flow 93.5 did. At the time the only place you could hear that stuff was on CKLN on Dave's Dance Music and a hiphop show which I believe was voiced by Kardinal.

Here is a great documentary on the club & rave scene from Channel 4 in the UK. For old time CFNY fans you will remember many of these bands. Becuz you know, S'Express.

November 25, 2015 @ 11:50 AM

as God is my witness

my first thought was Rip Tide hosting "Gotta Dance :) ..

November 25, 2015 @ 4:23 PM

Bob

the decline in 102 came around the transfer of ownership from Selkirk to McLean Hunter.

November 26, 2015 @ 9:00 AM

fourteen

Anonymous, was there supposed to be a link to the channel 4 documentary?

November 26, 2015 @ 10:28 PM

checkyourego

I'm glad they are doing a doc on Martin. Hopefully the filmmaker talks to his close friends and people that worked with him for years and years, instead of some of the people who were not close with Martin at all, and who speculate on things that they have no business speculating about nor have knowledge of.

November 28, 2015 @ 1:30 PM

@checkyourego

Who are the people who were not close with Martin at all and speculate on things they have no business speculating about?

November 28, 2015 @ 1:36 PM

Jenney

That's my youtube video used in this article. A bunch of my friends went to Club 102 and stayed for the taping of 2 or 3 episodes. I taped them off CHCH when they aired a few weeks later. Still have the VHS cassette but haven't transferred them to DVD or digital.

December 19, 2015 @ 9:14 PM

Billy

@jenney Would it be possible to secure a copy of those shows? Thanks

January 13, 2016 @ 1:00 PM