Rogers's Trickle Down Theory

Other than the news on CBC, I can't remember the last time I watched TV on a station other than Sportsnet. Every day around this time, if I'm home and available, I turn on Sportsnet for the Jays game.

Almost every ad I consume is on Sportsnet. That awful Harper ad, the Indie88 ad, commercials for Tim and Sid, I've seen them all a hundred times.

My appetite for Jays talk lately is through the roof. That means I've spent a great deal of time listening to The Fan 590. I'm even biking to Baseball Central at noon.

When I'm on a bike ride along the lake, the number of Blue Jays hats, jerseys and shirts is at an all-time high. I don't remember ever seeing Jays paraphernalia in such abundance.

Meanwhile, the dome is full for every home game. That means more beer is flowing, more concessions are being sold at ridiculous cost and even more Jays gear is flying off shelves. And demand for playoff tickets will be insane.

What do the Blue Jays, Sportsnet, The Fan 590, and the dome all have in common? They're all owned by Rogers, and now that I'm hooked, they have a near monopoly on my eyeballs and ears.

I can only imagine they're making hay while the sun is shining. Ca-ching!

dale

You just jinxed the BJays again - LOL.

September 9, 2015 @ 7:41 PM

Gump

Need some advice.
My son and I have jumped onto the Jays bandwagon after years of neglect (I was a big Jim Rice, Fisk + Yaz fan back in the day and my son just turned 10).
We don't have cable or satellite TV (never had...), so watching the Jays is difficult. We have internet.
What are my options (beside getting cable/Fibe)?
Does MLB.TV work well? Blackouts apply to Jays games all the time? I also enjoy the Cubs -- can I watch those games on MLB.TV.
Any advice would be appreciated!

September 9, 2015 @ 10:04 PM

@Gump

It's not the answer you're looking for, but the radio is your friend. Nothing beats baseball on the radio.

Now I'll let those without cable chime in. I'm curious, too.

September 9, 2015 @ 10:13 PM

Rob

You get every game with MLB TV. Don't believe there are blackouts (but check to confirm) and it is dirt cheap now.

I get it if I were you. Can listen to any teams radio or television broadcast.

September 10, 2015 @ 6:40 AM

markosaar

Vertical integration.

September 10, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

k

Indie is advertising on Sportsnet? I'm surprised Rogers would allow a competitor to do that.

September 10, 2015 @ 11:20 AM

@k

The Indie88 playlist doesn't really compete with a Rogers station. Rogers had Kiss and CHFI.

September 10, 2015 @ 11:32 AM

Rob J

The blatant conflict of interest of the same company owning the team AND all the media covering it is the biggest story you never hear about, especially since there are examples of Rogers media employees being punished for stating their legit opinions. How can any of the coverage be taken seriously?

September 10, 2015 @ 2:57 PM

@Rob J

But they have a monopoly on the games... so it's Rogers or nothing (unless you want to go to the trouble of watching the opposition feed).

So you take the analysis with a grain of salt....

Btw, I asked Mike Wilner about this very topic in episode 96 of my podcast: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_96.html

September 10, 2015 @ 3:03 PM