I Hope the Jays Don't Celebrate Clinching the Wildcard

As you likely know, the Blue Jays have the longest active playoff drought in all of Major League Baseball. In fact, we have the longest active drought of all the four major North American leagues: MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL.

That drought ends this season. In fact, it's possible we clinch a wildcard berth tonight. I'm hoping we don't celebrate that fact. I'd hate to see us break out the champagne.

I'm not even tracking the magic number to clinch a wildcard spot. The number you'll find on this site is currently at 8. That's the magic number we care about.

None of us will be satisfied this season with a wildcard berth. We've all got our eyes set on the American League Eastern Division pennant. That's the first goal, and when we clinch that title, we can break out the champagne and celebrate.

We've waited 22 years. We can wait another few days.

dale

Jays will be in the playoffs but just a matter where.

You just jinxed it again for Division Champs, LOL - Wait & C.

September 25, 2015 @ 2:43 PM

@dale

Jinxes don't exist.

September 25, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

Douglas

How about the magic number for first overall in the American League? Let's think big, Jays fans.

September 25, 2015 @ 3:06 PM

Michael Zanette

@TorontoMike : stop trying with the reverse jinx with your "jinxes don't exist" comment.

September 25, 2015 @ 4:04 PM

@Michael Zanette

But really, they don't.

September 25, 2015 @ 4:06 PM

Chris

Making the playoffs matters though, even if it just means clinching a spot in the wildcard. I don't care. We're in the playoffs. I hope they acknowledge we've broken the drought but celebrate if/when we win the pennant.

September 25, 2015 @ 4:12 PM

@Chris

I want that division pennant, though... I think the wildcard has been a virtual slam dunk for a while now. Keep the corks in the bottle until we've won the AL East!

September 25, 2015 @ 4:18 PM

Elephant

A pop-the-champagne celebration and players jumping onto a pile on the field would be uncalled for. But the post-game handshakes should be a little firmer and the smiles a little bigger than after an ordinary win.

September 25, 2015 @ 4:29 PM

Anonymous

I have to admit I have zero, maybe less than zero interest in baseball, but I do have interest in watching 'magic number' decrease. weird.
I remember when they won the last time I was working downtown and we took off to watch the parade - and the vibe was awesome. so were the numerous beers we had at various bars.
good times.

September 26, 2015 @ 12:48 AM

GUNTer

oops! anon above is me.

September 26, 2015 @ 12:48 AM

Speysidephil

As R.A.Dickey said, we'll celebrate when we wn the division championship.
Bring it on!

September 26, 2015 @ 9:21 AM

Sid V

Well, the let you down last night with the spontaneous celebration over clinching a wildcard. It doesn't bother me, this team has worked hard for 150+ games and letting loose a bit won't hurt. The celebration seems to be a marketing thing as much as anything - there is no shortage of cheesy "post-season" merchandise at the Jays store.

I wish I had scored an invite to Kawasaki's "bush party" though! Guessing he brought a box Sapporo.

September 27, 2015 @ 2:35 PM