How Russell Martin's Home Run Sounded

Russell Martin hit a big home run for our Jays last night. It's the biggest Jays hit since Joe touched 'em all in '93.

Here how the hit sounded:

• Park Sounds
  • ESPN
  • FAN590
  • SportsNet
  • WADO (Spanish)
  • WFAN
  • TVA Sports (French)

Faunie

This is so cool Mike!!
I could listen to it over and over. Love the TVA Sport reaction!!

September 24, 2015 @ 8:56 AM

@Faunie

Yes, the TVA Sport call is the best.

If you like the crowd mix from the Sportsnet feed, you can thank the guy who helped set up my podcast studio. Andrew, take a bow.

September 24, 2015 @ 8:58 AM

Jimbo

Great job Andrew!!!

September 24, 2015 @ 9:11 AM

Faunie

Thanks Andrew!

September 24, 2015 @ 9:23 AM

Kyle

No Dan Shulman?!

September 24, 2015 @ 10:57 AM

@Kyle

I don't know why Shulman is missing. I love Dan Shulman!

September 24, 2015 @ 11:13 AM

Mrmojorisinca

Never been much of baseball fan..but been watching the Jays vs NY series..and have to admit I enjoyed it..some of the plays are just incredible..

September 24, 2015 @ 11:46 AM

Andrew

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Dan was doing the radio call for ESPN.

Cheers,
Andrew

September 24, 2015 @ 12:18 PM

Douglas

Yes, Dan Shulman's call of the Russell Martin home run would have been a good one.

I noticed that TVA managed to get "Québec" in their call.

Having watched a number of different baseball feeds this year, my vote goes to Sportsnet for the best overall presentation, audio, video, etc. Yes, the audio mix is well done (good on ya, Andrew!), maybe even the best. Sportsnet seems to make the best use of replays, flashbacks, player profiles, etc. for TV.

I noticed a couple of games ago that Jose Bautista was back doing solo interviews. I guess his disagreement with Rogers has been resolved somehow.

September 24, 2015 @ 1:42 PM

@Douglas

I saw Joey Bats's chat with Brunt yesterday. It really suits him...

(I'll see myself out.)

September 24, 2015 @ 1:49 PM

headsup

Love this clip! Thanks for sharing, Mike. I actually heard Shulman's call of it last night on ESPN Radio. It was really good! Nice to hear his passionate voice calling a Jays' game again.
There are distinct differences between the Fan's, RSN's, and the other six calls (the latter I group into one as the mixes sound similar to me). Far and away the best mix is the RSN one, in my opinion. Andrew, you nailed the energy of the crowd. It sounds so full and loud, yet Buck's call is not lost in the noise. However you did it, great work!!
I meant to write earlier about a similar topic. I was at the opening game against the Tigers at the end of August. In watching the highlights that night, the buzz of the excited crowd was masterfully captured. I could vividly relive the excitement, which I've never really experienced in watching highlights before.

September 24, 2015 @ 3:18 PM

Andrew

@Headsup - thank you for the kind words. Thanks to everyone who wrote nice things. The radio and TV mixes will always be different, mostly for all technical issues. We are stereo/5.1, radio is mono. We have better transmission capabilities, radio is ISDN.

I love the simplicity of radio - just the crack of the bat, where for my mix I have 14 mics on the field of play that I use to create my overall mix.

I've been mixing the Jays since 2007, full time since 2008 so I've had a good time to create a certain sound I, talent and production like.

I wish I had better mics for my bat cracks. Sometimes they sound too tinny and not cracky enough - I'd love to get some good tom mics to use. I think those would be great.

It was challenging last night in parts. The crowd was very subdued to start so it's hard to capture that general noise and then ramp it up as they started to get into it around the 7th.

It's been fun the past 45 days- lots of fun!!

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words, I'm just so glad that Mike's podcast studio is still sounding great!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

Ps: nice Joey bats and the suit comment 😁👍🏻😁

September 24, 2015 @ 10:07 PM

Blind Dave

Yeah, the French call rocked, but Andrew's mix was by far the best. Oh, and Buck calls a great game too, but the TVA guy reminds me of the GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL guy in soccer.

September 24, 2015 @ 10:27 PM

Here's how Andrew's studio looks in the basement of the dome:

September 25, 2015 @ 3:24 PM

Faunie

Andrew: Do you need an assistant??? Although, on second thought, in a moment of excitement, I might hit the wrong switch! I'll say it again, thanks and add, GREAT JOB.

September 25, 2015 @ 7:59 PM