Hidden Tracks

Do you remember the first time you spun Nirvana's Nevermind? I do. I'd pop it in the CD player, and after "Something in the Way", I'd start it again.

At some point I realized there was a whack of time left in the final track, after "Something in the Way" finished. If you let it go, you're rewarded with "Endless, Nameless" after about ten minutes of silence. It's a hidden track.

I always enjoyed discs with a hidden track. One of my favourite tracks on Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill is the hidden track, "Your House".

Another track listing trick I enjoyed was Cracker's Kerosene Hat. The album has sixteen tracks, but the very cool "Euro-Trash Girl" is actually #69. There's also a #88 and #99. These aren't hidden tracks, just a creative listing that produced dozens of blank MP3s when I ripped this disc to MP3 over a decade ago.

markosaar

Somehow I missed the extra track on my first few listens of Troublegum by Therapy?, but once I fell asleep listening to it, probably the heaviest album I'd ever heard of to that point.

I woke up to this:

Other ones I remember from the 90s:

The Second Coming by the Stone Roses has a stupid/ridiculous hidden track of them messing around with found, out-of-tune instruments.

1977 by Ash has a track of ... one of them? All of them? Apparently puking their guts out.

All By Myself at the end of Green Day's Dookie is well-known.

And then there of course was NIN's Broken EP which actually has two fantastic hidden tracks, Physical by Adam and the Ants, and Suck by Pigface.

September 21, 2015 @ 11:47 AM

m m

The best of course were Physical and Suck, by NIN on the Broken EP. My CD had them as tracks 98 and 99.
Some bands had a CD track zero. You had to play the first track, then rewind to the start of the zero track.

September 21, 2015 @ 12:26 PM

Bdot

Mine would be from Travis - The man Who - hidden track called "Blue Flashing Light"

September 21, 2015 @ 2:40 PM

Jody Thornton

I missed out on the hidden tracks because I bought the LP releases for Nirvana and Alanis (and remember, this was back in 1992 and 1995 when vinyl WAS NOT cool!). No complaints because these LPs were really hard to get, so I'm happy to have them.

"Jagged Little Pill" was a German import, and while it sounds great, you can tell it was an afterthought for Maverick Records. The reprise version of "You Oughta Know" was removed (which in of itself was no problem) but the LP ends on Side 2 with the first second and a half of the reprise version, and then the audio just cuts off abruptly before the lead out grooves.

September 21, 2015 @ 2:43 PM

markosaar

My favourite fact/trivia about Jagged Little Pill, specifically You Oughta Know, is that Flea and Dave Navarro were the session bassist & guitarist.

September 21, 2015 @ 3:12 PM

Anonymous

The Be Good Tanya's rendition of "When Doves Cry", hidden at the end of their album "Hello Love".

September 21, 2015 @ 6:56 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Tool had some pretty good ones on Opiate and Undertow.

September 22, 2015 @ 12:21 AM

elvis

I still think it's pretty impressive that apparently Jagged Little Pill was recorded in one take - Alanis' vocals that is.

September 22, 2015 @ 7:42 AM

Handsome Rob

Track #36, on Dave Matthews Band Under the Table and Dreaming. Nice little instrumental piece aptly titled #36. Once you'd hit the end of the listed 12 tracks, the cd would start skipping ahead track by track until you finally got to 36. Was cool.

September 22, 2015 @ 1:03 PM

Javed Jafri

Kurt from World Party was a big Beach Boys and Beatles fan and he dissected Penny Lane and figured out that it was just God Only Knows backwards or something like that. Then there was this BB influenced hidden track on World Party's Bang album:

Wilco's Sumnmerteeth featured some Beach Boys influenced material including the hidden track Candyfloss:

September 22, 2015 @ 11:51 PM