Another Round of Radio Layoffs at Corus

Corus Entertainment is shaving its payroll again with a series of radio layoffs. The names of those affected are still trickling in, so I'll update this entry as I learn more.

Most of the changes are at Q107. Longtime host Jeff Woods, who recently moved back from Calgary, has been let go, as have Dominik Diamond, Nails Mahoney and James MacPhee, who did news double duty with Q and AM640.

Kim Mitchell, who has been working the 2-6pm shift, will not have his contract renewed. His last day at Q107 will be tomorrow.

And, a little outside the city in Hamilton, my pal Kelly Cutrara was axed at Fresh FM. She's coming on my podcast to talk about it, as soon as she sobers up.

dale

I had a personal email from Q107 2 days ago as I responded to 1 of their music surveys saying I REFUSE to take it. I also said their music selection & DJ's KIm Mitchell & Derringer are same old, same old & haven't listened in 3 months. MOLDY. Composter time.

I now see Kim's last day is tomorrow - a good musician but terrible DJ.

I will listen tomorrow & am sure with Derringer's contract it be hard to swallow, especially after Hollloway is gone on Morning show.

Get the caskets ready.

July 30, 2015 @ 8:09 PM

GUNTer

my understanding, from her letter posted to q-107 is that Maureen is coming back. which is a loss for everyone except her wallet.
kim Mitchell was unlistenable in my opinion. absolutely a terrible dj - not a natural at all.
get rid of derringer, halloway and ryan and there is quite a savings right there.
FLAREBOY for the win.
bummed to hear about the promos guy - that sucks.
ps - FLAREBOY!

July 30, 2015 @ 8:15 PM

Handsome Rob

I really like Dominic. He just can't seem to catch a break. When he filled in in the mornings I thought he dynamic worked.
Shitty that Jeff got let go after moving back.

July 30, 2015 @ 9:49 PM

Tim

HOORAY no more Kim Mitchell. He was absolutely terrible. They should launch a dj search contest. Q needs new blood. I could spin some wax.

July 30, 2015 @ 10:02 PM

Speysidephil

Q107 has gone to hell in a hand basket.
Too bad for all involved .

July 30, 2015 @ 10:02 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I know it's wishful thinking on my part but it would be nice if Q107 went back to the hardrock/pure rock format.

July 30, 2015 @ 11:46 PM

Boomer

@Jason -Agreed. I discovered alot of great new bands and music on Q back in the day when they were much more progressive.

As a big Kim Mitchell fan, I will miss hearing him. Loved his stories and when he played on air.

July 31, 2015 @ 10:50 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I wonder who'll be on afternoons on Q now.

July 31, 2015 @ 7:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Sad to hear Kelly losing here afternoon slot, would listen when I was heading up to London Woodstock. Had met her at one of the H&F early podcast parties, seemed like a really nice person. Couldn't think of a worse industry to want to be employed in. Hope she lands on her feet, from what I remember from the H&F show she really enjoyed being on air.

July 31, 2015 @ 10:18 PM

Alex

Jeff Woods, shame, Nails, he was a quirky but interesting personality.

Dominik, thank god, Kim Mitchell, FINALLY!

Morning show is awesome...listen to every minute of it every working day.

August 1, 2015 @ 10:17 AM

Dan Murphy

Corus entertainment ended my 23 year radio career in late 2000 as part of a massive "let's save money and who cares how we sound, and who we burn out" kind of layoff. I was a multi award winning Production Manager, but I guess 42,000 a year was too much for them and I make way more now working for Rogers in a non broadcast role. The sad part is that "The Spirit of Radio" is now dead, and Corus continues to drive nails into that coffin.

August 1, 2015 @ 1:25 PM

Bob

Does that mean I'm with these cuts I'm not getting my Ringo Starr tickets that I won months ago (which I have not received)on stump the chump and promised my two sisters who fainted back in the 60s at the gardens they could go

August 1, 2015 @ 4:14 PM

Tom

Derringer & that kid Ryan are the worst. They should listen to themselves sometime. That Stump the Chump bit is putrid. Too bad The Champ isn't alive today. Those bits with The Champ were great.

Need some fresh voices, & all those kids graduating from Ryerson/Seneca broadcasting school, there is no one that is available to replace these windbags?

August 2, 2015 @ 4:01 PM

Rosemary

I rarely listen to Q107. Sorry, I'm just use to classic rock. I can only take so much of Rush and Tragically Hip. I now listen to 96.9 Classic Rock from Buffalo NY. I don't mind Derringer and Ryan but I don't see the purpose of having Maureen there. I can't stand her and I guess that's why I quit listening to the station altogether.

August 2, 2015 @ 8:41 PM

John

I am a longtime Q-107 listener for over 30 years. Dominik Diamond is the worst DJ I have ever heard. Way too much ego and very short on talent. Nails Mahoney is just god-awful boring. Kim Mitchell is awesome on the air. Why they would get rid of a Canadian music icon is just mind boggling. Perhaps this is just a reflection of how crappy the broadcasting industry has become. It's no wonder so many people are turning away from radio listening and going to Pandora and Spotify.

August 3, 2015 @ 12:22 AM

exannouncer

What I have noticed is that radio stations seem to only get rid of the on-air talent as part of their corporate 28% yearly refresh (yes, that's a thing). It's also not necessarily about the money; sometimes it's just about direction or announcers getting older then their target demo (see 102.1). Dan Murphy is right on the money as well regarding it not being about the money. I worked for Corus and got a lot less then Dan as a full time on-air announcer in Toronto. When I tell people how little I made at a Toronto radio station and how some of us were treated, people are shocked. I think it's about time to share some stories.

August 3, 2015 @ 10:36 AM

Susan

Sorry to hear about Jeff Woods, hope it is not true. I loved listening to his shows, always interesting. Kim Mitchell, not real DJ material but then Q107 has changed for the worse. I rarely listen to it anymore, time to find something new like the old Q107 used to be!!

August 3, 2015 @ 1:27 PM

@Susan

I'm afraid it's true. All of it.

August 3, 2015 @ 1:35 PM

Jason from Sudbury

So do we know who's taking over Kim Mitchell's spot?

August 3, 2015 @ 9:45 PM

Jennifer

I find it interesting Toronto Mike appears to be the only one covering this significant restructuring at Q107. Is this a sign the mainstream media has stopped caring about radio as well? There is a business story here too - how far have revenues on Q107 fallen for them to take this kind of action? I liked Jeff Woods (old school voice and delivery) but was not a fan of Mitchell's.

August 4, 2015 @ 7:29 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Yeah, I liked Jeff Woods too. I didn't mind Dominik Diamond either. Wasn't Nails' biggest fan though.

August 4, 2015 @ 7:51 AM

Yvonne

saddened to hear about Jeff Woods! Kim Mitchell, great musician, turned the station and would not listen to his show. Droned on and on. Dominick Diamond and Naills Mahoney, I will miss. Are they being replaced????? Share it up Q, your're about to loose another long time listener.

August 4, 2015 @ 8:20 AM

Bill Joy

Sad news when people are let go. All of these guys had something to offer. Different styles and personalities that made Q107 interesting.

Will miss Jeff Woods the most. Enjoyed chilling out to his music and histories of rock n roll. He's one of a kind and won't be easily replaced. Hope he lands a gig locally soon.

Time to get satellite radio I guess.

August 4, 2015 @ 8:39 AM

Revert

Was a fan of Q in general. Even as a fellow Scot it took me a while to warm up to Dominic but once I got the rythim of his tack I enjoyed him. I enjoyed Jeff's incites and knowledge of rock history. Nails I won't miss. Kim although not a great DJ (and I think he would be the first to say that) really brought a wonderful perspective on the music business from his behind the scenes knowledge as well as his musical talent. I will miss him. I am getting a little tired of derringer who is just coasting(can you say Phil Kessel). I enjoy Maureen and Ryan. On the whole now seems like a good time to try something else. Maybe all these bodies will land somewhere else more interesting.

August 4, 2015 @ 11:52 AM

H Team

I was sad to hear that Kim, Jeff, Dominik & Nails are gone. While Kim may not have been the best DJ, he was no means the worst. Loved his stories & interviews with Rock personalities. He had the inside track on how things in the music industry worked. Never had a problem with either Dominik or Nails. Loved Dominik's Charlie & Sharky stories & never had a problem understanding him. The one I'll miss the most will be Jeff Woods. I have listened to him from the beginning & have learned more things about different artists & groups from him. Legends of Rock shows are awesome, hope to find them on another station somewhere. Maybe upper management show trim themselves & let the DJ's work. Just saying, they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

August 4, 2015 @ 1:31 PM

Tired

Not to be disrespectful but I haven't listened to Q for a few years now and if and when I turn the dial there I can't take more than 15 mins. We don't even listen to it at work anymore.
Since some heads are rolling please for the love of all radio, retire the morning show!
Enough of JD, Ryan and why is she there put her in the hallway Hollow-way. Same songs and this jeopardy game they play in the morning is worse than velveeta right out of the box. Thank goodness for MP3 devices where you can make your own playlists and not have to listen to that bs.
I'm not the only one who's fed up. Other wise peace.

August 4, 2015 @ 2:20 PM

Jaime

Sad to hear anyone losing their job....BUT it's about time they let Kim go. It was difficult to listen to him - so I tuned out. The only time I do listen is in the mornings and I do love listening to Derringer and his crew on my ride into work. He makes me laugh out loud on many occasions and I need that in the morning.

The only time I have heard Dominik Diamond was when he was filling in for Derringer and I was not impressed in the least. The English accent kind of threw me off, as well as the fact he was not funny at all, although he tried hard at it.

August 4, 2015 @ 2:27 PM

@Jaime

Dominik has a Scottish accent.

August 4, 2015 @ 2:29 PM

chrisdtek

Never like Derringer and haven't listened to the Q in 10.9 years since Kim Mitchell took over the afternoon show. Maybe I will check it out now!

August 4, 2015 @ 5:53 PM

Cheryl

Jeff Woods is a gem and a big loss for Q107. On the bright side, he will land somewhere and continue to bring us the breadth and depth of his great work. We all need to keep track of him and spread the word when he is back on the air.

August 4, 2015 @ 7:30 PM

jimy

No loss of Kim. Could hardly put a sentence together - so boring I'd rather have silence on the drive home. I liked Dominik and Ryan together. Derringer has become a cranky old man. Like to see what he says now about the successful Pan Am games after listening to weeks and weeks of him bashing everything about it.

August 4, 2015 @ 7:31 PM

Aurora Doug

I like(d) all the on-air personalities, those departed and those remaining. Kim had a shaky start, but I enjoyed him once he got some traction. Although all the substitutions on the morning show over the last few months were distracting, I appreciated the variety. Two things are getting tired, though:

1. The Music. How many times do we really need to hear Back in Black, Whole Lotta Love and Who Are You every week? Even with the new music format that thankfully includes new rock, they are too heavily weighted to a short list of classic rock. Bump up the new rock to 60-70%, and expand the classic rock repertoire to include deeper tracks.

2. Morning show format. I still enjoy the morning show and the personalities, but the format is getting tired. I've been moving around the dial much more lately.

Then again, I'm older and I'm probably no longer in their target market. Corus may actually be making a good business decision by ditching some of their listeners along with their on-air staff. As Townsend said...Music Must Change. Now THERE's a deep track that they should play.

August 4, 2015 @ 8:52 PM

Kathy

I was so sorry to hear of the end of Jeff and Kim on the air. Dom was a hoot when he filled in for Derringer also. What I can't understand is Why Joanne still around. She has the traditional token female spot I guess, but absolutely terrible to listen to. Then there is Scoles filling in when asked here and there and the most boring of the bunch.

I hope Derringer handbags on for a while yet.

August 5, 2015 @ 2:30 PM

maguro

1. Kim was great to listen to as a DJ and I wish him well...his music not so much
2. Jeff Woods...class act all around and it sucks what happened
3. Nails was unbearable...wont miss him
4. I actually got to like DD, hearing about his kids etc but he was the first to go
5. Derringer is insightful and is the backbone of the station

i have been a listener since Q came on the air...Dave Marsden day
i have however taken a shine to Sirius and morning are Stern

August 5, 2015 @ 7:28 PM

Alison

John Derringer has just announced that Maureen will be doing the afternoon show now on Q. The Mo Show. Guess I'll be flipping around the dial on my way home from work every day trying to find someone else to listen to. Can't stand her cackle.

August 6, 2015 @ 8:31 AM

Anonymous

The Mo Show on my drive home? No thanks. Bye Q!

August 6, 2015 @ 8:55 AM

Bill

I hate for anyone to lose their job so I feel sorry for everyone that did. Dominic Diamond is hilarious and should be the morning man... Sorry JD but its time to go. Kim was great and I enjoyed his insight. Jeff had a great voice and his show was awesome; he had great stories. I like Mo but I don't think she can carry a whole show. Best of luck everyone. Q you better figure things out because you are losing listeners. Your new format doesn't work.

August 6, 2015 @ 9:03 AM

Tim

BOOM has been kicking Q's butt for the last year and a half. Q's minuscule music library turns over every day and a half it seems. Very sad for a classic rock station that essentially has the history of rock and roll to draw on.

August 6, 2015 @ 9:46 AM

Sonya

Change is inevitable but I do think that Corus will drop in the ratings due to their perceived new cut- throat culture.
I always thought that Q107 had a great cozy we-are-all-friends-here feel. That is gone and it is getting more and more " canned" as they lose the characters that made it fun to listen to.
I am especially sad about the exits of Jeff Woods and Kim Mitchell.
I hope to hear them as part of my day and will actively seek their new shows.
When I do, good bye Q and hello???

August 6, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

Janice

I am sad to see Jeff Woods gone, he was great to listen too and knows everything there is to know about Rock and Roll history. Loved the Rock Report. As for Kim, to be honest I have not listened to Q107 through the week for a while due to him. I would only listen on Sunday and the rest of the time I listened to Boom. I listen at work and his ramblings were really annoying. I like to listen to the song, but I don't want to listen to his version on his guitar afterword's. Already heard the song don't want to hear a half assed version of his after. He should take some lesson's from guys like Alice Cooper who became DJ's, promote other groups and singers, and stop talking about yourself!!! So now it is safe to come back I will be listening to the Mighty Q once again.

August 6, 2015 @ 10:37 AM

Boomer

So they traded Kim Mitchell for Maureen Holloway? I can stand her in small doses only.

August 6, 2015 @ 11:09 AM

I'm sure Maureen Holloway is much less expensive than Kim Mitchell.

August 6, 2015 @ 11:10 AM

Mo Money

She's done well for herself for the past 15 years calling into morning shows across the country from home with her celebrity chatter. Even while being Derringer's "co-host" at the same time.

August 6, 2015 @ 11:18 AM

Mo Money

In other words, she figured out how to turn the fact that stations might pay someone like her $50 a day into a six figure salary. Though stations have cut back on that too, which may explain the new job.

August 6, 2015 @ 11:21 AM

Toronto Mark

@Aurora Doug...

I don't know about bumping new rock to 60-70%, I'd say maybe 40-50%, but overall you have nailed it. With the whole of classic rock at their disposal, why do they have such a short playlist? Listening to "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" over and over again day after day is far more irritating to me than any of the on-air personalities will ever be, and is the reason I've drifted away from Q as have many others.

August 6, 2015 @ 12:30 PM

Boomer

@Mike. You get what you pay for.

August 6, 2015 @ 9:39 PM

Jim

I can`t tell you how happy I am to hear that Kim Mitchell is gone .........finally.
What a NO TALENT LOSER , this guy had no business behind a microphone .
I have been listening to Q107 since it came on the air , But when it was afternoon drive time
I would turn the radio OFF . Kim , don`t go away mad ...........just go away .

August 7, 2015 @ 6:27 AM

Kirk

I do agree with one thing that's being posted around here. Q needed a change. Too bad they got it wrong by letting Woods and Mitchell go. Then to compound the mistake by giving Mo a FT afternoon gig is baffling to me.
What makes a good DJ? In my mind it is mainly about knowing the music industry and being able to present it in an interesting way. Mitchell and Woods both did that. Too bad.

August 7, 2015 @ 8:44 AM

Boomer

@Jim. You may not love Kim but "no talent loser" are the LAST words that describe Kim Mitchell. Please.

August 7, 2015 @ 9:01 AM

Brian

Always bad when people have to be let go but if it has to happen then it should at least be the right people. Jeff Woods and Dominik Diamond are both great radio personalities. KIm although a great musician was a lousy dj and Joanne Wilder has got to have the weakest show on the station. I guess they kept her because she is probably the cheapest on the payroll

August 8, 2015 @ 11:25 AM

mikew

I'll miss Kim's insight and stories about the music biz. But him playing his own music never seem right to me.
Jeff Woods is an amazing talent, I don't understand letting him go.
Maureen being the afternoon host now, I don't know. As someone has already said, her cackle plus her yelling to get her point/joke across was annoying on the morning show.
The more Q changes, the less I'm listening.

August 8, 2015 @ 4:44 PM

Bri

I'm really sorry and shocked to hear Jeff Woods got cut. The others I could take or leave, but I actually looked forward to Jeff's show every week. He is a skilled raconteur, and you could just tell he put such effort and passion into each of his shows. Q is just becoming more and more generic with each passing year. I used to like Sunday nights with the Psych Psunday end - Legends - Little Stevie, they all brought personality and insight. Now it's like just having my iPod on shuffle. If Q ever axes Andy Frost and/or Psych Psunday - I'm done.

August 9, 2015 @ 9:53 PM

T-Dawg

I started listening to the Q again when Humble and Fred went of the air. Liked the morning show, but found their music too be too limited. Liked the format change but when Fearless Fred became the morning guy at the Edge went back to them. The music was more my taste and with Dean finally gone I could actually tune in for more than 5 minutes.

At least before Q was true to a vision. Not sure they really have an identity now. Glad the Edge is back to being listenable.

August 10, 2015 @ 7:38 AM

randy rycroft

CLASSIC ROCK is STILL the GREATEST and most interesting music of ALL-TIME ...Unfortunately at some point Q107 became stagnate (playing less and less variety) and completely stopped playing any new music or new bands ...I continued to listen because the on-air personalities were the best !!!! KIM MITCHELLs stories and LIVE on-air JAMS were awesome !! JEFF WOODS Sunday night show would NEVER be missed at 9:00 (in fact most of the time we would switch to Y108 at 10:00 and listen to the whole show again !!) PLEASE BRING IT BACK !!!! I guess the only great shows left are PSYCHEDELIC SUNDAY and the Grateful Dead Hour (96.9 Buffalo) ...COME ON Corus and Q107 ...MAKE THIS STATION GREAT again !!!!

August 10, 2015 @ 6:39 PM

steven s

I am okay with all of them gone except I didn't mind Dominik.

Q is getting boring now anyway - Rush has 40 years of songs and yet I hear Lakeside Park played all the time.

On a side note, how many holidays does Derringer get? I'm guessing on his own at least 8 weeks then throw in another two when the morning show is gone during Christmas. This guy negotiated quite a contract - his salary is probably the highest at Corus for on air talent. Sure hope his morning show is always on top of the rating race.

August 11, 2015 @ 9:23 AM

Michael

Read all 55 comments and you might appreciate why management at Q107 can't seem to put its finger on the best format going forward. Further, we all need to get over the fact it isn't the Q107 from last week, last year or 30 years ago. The "107" in Q107 is simply a radio station frequency the CRTC allows Corus to use in order to MAKE MONEY for its owners. You wouldn't rent a store at the corner of Yonge & Bloor to sell crafts your mother makes in her living room. Similarly, the station name and frequency are well-known and valuable so it makes no sense to reformat Q into something with a limited audience. If you think you have a winning format idea, apply to the CRTC for a broadcasting license.

On Jeff Woods. Why all the praise? Listen to the Jimmy Paige interview. What an embarrassment. Woods' questions are way too long and he wastes time we could spend listening to his guests. They don't care how much you think you know and want to tell them with your EP questions ("E"xtended "P"lay for the newbies). He talks way too much and seems to enjoy most listening to the sound of his own voice. Ask the question and shut up Jeff! Talk about old school radio. He probably measures how low and slow he can talk. His work is really good and interesting but it's about the music, not you.

August 12, 2015 @ 6:27 PM

John

Interesting comments. Derringer is stale. Play lists are awful. I was driving through Cleveland a couple of years ago and tuned into a classic rock station. Their playlist was much better.

In the beginning Mitchell was a little bumpy but he got better. Tough gig being a DJ. I really enjoyed his guitar playing etc. And the stories.

Jeff woods? A reason to listen to that station, I found his legends stuff really good

I think Q has lost it. I have satellite radio so lots of music to suit me. And Q don't need me as a listener , I am too old to buy anything.

RIP Q. Andy Frost is the voice for Sunday after that? Stick a fork in it. I will change my wake up station on the Bose. Holloway in the pm show? Haha you thought Mitchell was no good? Face Palm.

August 13, 2015 @ 7:00 AM

Michael

Hello again. Does anyone else think the number #1 reason NOT to listen to Q107 anymore is Flair Boy? All credit to him though as I guess there's always a job for the station 'gofer/jack of all.../bitch', that is, someone who will go anywhere, do anything, whenever for the station. To listen to an on air character who 'appears' (that is, whether true or not is irrelevant) to live his life around basketball and in his parents' basement is not someone likely to attract and maintain a radio audience if your target is an aging, predominantly male, audience who think real rock n' roll ended with Bon Jovi's first album. If you don't think this is a large enough group to support a flapship FM station, tahe a look at the very healthy state of AM (talk) radio. The message here is that early and mid life baby boomers and pre-boomers are still big spenders who appeal to major advertisiers. There's no shame in being a classic rock station. I think we should all take the first step together in building the kind of radio stattion we want (whatever that may be) by lobbying the CRTC to lower the Canadian content (Cancon) requirement. Isn't it now 55% of all songs played must be "Canadian" in the CRTC's definition. Does that still exclude Bryan Adams? With satellite radio, downloads and all the new options, does Cancon still need support at 55%? I think NOT! A change would broaden the playlist of classic rock. A few more thoughts. Why hasn't Q played any David Wilcox in years? Seem to coincide with Kim Mitchell's arrival. Further on Jeff Woods. He produces what stations need: great content. Hey Jeff, how about doing more of what you do? More history, extended life & music bio's, behind the music, dissect well-known songs like Kim used to do. Talk is good, well, sort of.

August 13, 2015 @ 9:55 AM

Greg

Dominik is outstanding, letting him go will mean les income for the station. He's a talented DJ, one of a kind, very smart and a hoot. Crazy,

August 14, 2015 @ 3:57 PM

TTC Rick

Derringer is still the best morning voice , losing Jeff Woods is a big mistake as far as Im concerned, I love Kim Mitchell but maybe a change in the afternoon drive is a good idea, would have liked to see Alex Hindmarch in that slot or Jeff Woods for that matter. Will continue to listen as the supporting cast is all good still, Joanne, Joynes, Frost and Scholes.

August 16, 2015 @ 8:21 PM

Oldies fan

As a fanatic for all oldies, I agree the MIGHTY Q has lost it's appeal lately. I regularly listen, but with the influx of "newer:" music, I think I need to source another station, if there is another out there playing pre 1985 stuff. Otherwise....internet radio........
As for the loss of personalities...change is good. I hated the morning show...too much gab.....
Same with theafternoon show. But will mis Jeff Wood

August 18, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

Oldies fan

Same with theafternoon show. But will mis Jeff Wood

August 18, 2015 @ 9:42 AM

Cathy

Wow lots of changes, not all bad, but have to agree, Jeff Woods is a big loss.
I stopped listening when they changed the format, and the morning show was getting repetitive and boring. I like Mo, but not sure she has what it takes to be an informed DJ on the afternoon drive. Small doses, nothing more.
I enjoyed Domenik Diamond, had not problems with him, but all of this is just more reason not to go back to listening to Q.

August 19, 2015 @ 3:27 PM

Allan

Not really liking the path Q107 has been taking over past year or so (I didn't like the format change period - but that's me). Really liked Jeff Woods and Dominik Diamond - Kim was entertaining with his music knowledge. Mo - getting tired of hearing about her kids (I'm sure they are wonderful and its nice to have parents speak about rearing their children - but perhaps not all the listeners need to hear this). Derringer.... OK. I have been listening to the Q for 15 years or more.. Always listened to classic rock on Sunday. I now listen to the Dock (I come down to TO from Barrie area daily). It has good mix and they actually inform drivers of road conditions (Q does but seldom info on Hwy 400). I can only get Dock until I get close to King St then its gone. I am looking for other good stations like the Q used to be. Open to suggestions. Maybe I'll go satellite....

August 20, 2015 @ 12:46 PM

James

Not a huge fan of the recent/ongoing changes at the mighty Q.

Didn't care much for Kim as a DJ, but he knows music, and I enjoyed his stories. As for the rest of the staff, I thought they were all pretty good at what they did, once I got used to them. Corus is showing how it cares about talent and loyalty.

Radio in TO is suffering overall. I often surf, finding the same music being played on Indie 88 and CFNY, sometimes simultaneously. Those two stations, Q and 94.9 in the Shwa all overlap too much.

August 21, 2015 @ 9:48 AM

K

Michael, the Canadian Content requirements for radio are 35% not 55%, and I doubt that CanCon will be going away anytime soon. But I agree that it's needed less for classic stations, Canadian Content is mainly to give new and upcoming Canadian artists airtime.

August 21, 2015 @ 12:17 PM

Jake

I have been listening to Q107, since I got an FM radio in 80 for my 11th birthday. Too bad they haven't gotten better with age. Every single day is too much Hip, U2, Rush, and Zep. Those 4 and a couple throw in tunes, next hour... Repeat. Unfortunately they only play 2-4 songs from the 100s to choose from. 101.9 out of Maine is Awesome, Clasic rock, Hard Rock, Hair Bands... Looking forward to Priest, Kings of Khoss, Big Wreck n a few other concerts over the next few months, Motorhead especially! Just wish the station I heard most of them in, still played them.

August 23, 2015 @ 3:15 PM

Dave

Sorry to hear of anyone losing their job. Some I loved, some not. I wish all of them well.

I have been a pretty loyal listener to Q since I was a kid. But in the last ten years it has been increasingly hard to leave it on. Everyone's good comments have nailed it.

The Problems with Q (as I see it):

The Q playlist so short it seems like the program director lost all but one page out of his playlist, and then decided to photocopy the remaining page over and over.

Half-hearted attempt to move into the 21st century, which really means playing the MOST overplayed songs from other genres. Q, I didn't need ANOTHER station playing Green Day and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Fitting in a few worn-out "new rock" songs into an already stagnant playlist has resulted in EVEN LESS variety on the playlist.

Why don't I hear new songs or back catalog that fit the format? I was at a live show and the crew played Colin James' "Oh Well (live)." I was like, what IS that!? What a great song? Why haven't I heard it on Q? The sound fits the format, the artist is already on their playlist, it counts as Can-Con, and the song is newish (2012.) If Q wasn't going to play this song, I wasn't going to hear it on any other station. This was the kind of music that should be Q's bread and butter.

Q shows a willful disdain for all artist's full catalogs -- there are WAY more songs from each artist than Q plays. There's not only a limited group of artists that play, but seemingly only one or two songs from each artist are played.

I am probably a little younger than most Q listeners, but believe that Q needs to double down on being a "rock" station. I also listen to other music, on other stations. When I listen to 88.1 or 102.1 or 103.5 or 96.3, I don't expect to hear straight-ahead rock and roll. I choose those stations for alt/new rock, dance/pop or classical. When I listen to Q107, I want a full playlist of good *rock* from 1960 to 2015. I expect good, knowledgeable DJs (Jeff Woods perhaps...) I expect Q107 to curate my experience of rock and roll -- 55 years is a lot of territory to cover. Q should take me on an amazing tour of that music, and not repeat a few (oddly chosen) nuggets until I can't stand to listen any more.

August 26, 2015 @ 2:20 PM

David

I have read through all the comments, and it is sad to see what has happened. Jeff Woods was absolutely fascinating and produced some really interesting programs through the years. He deserves a lot better. Dominik Did not impress me at all, someone above referenced his big ego. He quits last year to go back to Halifax, that didn't work, and he seemed to be brought back on a make work project. His Saturday morning programs were ridiculous. Nels Mahohey we a decent guy and deserves better. And losing Kim Mitchell is so very sad. He is a very interesting guy. But the station had become bloated with too many people and I saw something coming. I am glad Frost is still there, I like Joanne, Derringer and the boys, and do like Mo & John's new afternoon show. We must remember that for these big corporations it's all about the money. Greed and who cares how hurt people are. I feel bad for all the people let go, it is never easy when that happens. I really miss Little Steven's Sunday night show and have to find it on Sirius, but not the same. I'm sure it didn't cost that much and hope enough complain that they bring it back.
I also agree with the complaints about the playlist being same same same.... they could do a lot better as others have mentioned. and one last beef - I detest the Spence Diamond commercials, way too many, can't stand - I am starting to switch stations every time it comes on, but I have found them on other stations. I guess there concept works, and I am definitely not in their demographic, but I detest those commercials. One last thing. I used to listen to CHFI and a few years ago they (Rogers) dumped Erin Davis in a horrible mean way and humiliated her and the people that replaced her were duds. Within a few years CHFI ended up groveling to bring her back. Maybe if enough of us complain, they will bring back at least Jeff Woods. Losing him was mean, nasty and beyond bonehead.
My daughter listened to Kelly in Hamilton, I know Kelly personally, and she deserved a lot better. Corus execs suffer from boneheaditis... an all too prevalent condition in corporate culture.

August 27, 2015 @ 12:27 AM

Linda

The changes surprised me but we all know with radio it's here today and literally gone tomorrow. Kim was OK, but not really stimulating. And Patio Lanterns should be permanently retired. I always liked Maureen but she is a bit lame on her own show. She was better as a sidekick to Derringer. JD can still be funny and Ryan can amuse but why does Flareboy have to YELL? Especially when he has nothing of import to say. I used to love Alex Hindmarsh and I was getting used to Naills. DD not so much. I am sorry to say that the Q is not so mighty any more. When Andy Frost and Psychidelic Sunday are gone, so am I.

August 28, 2015 @ 8:51 PM

K

I don't think they'll scrap Psychedelic Psunday. I've read that it's the most listened to Sunday show in the GTA, and I think that is because, you get album sides, album tracks like: "When The Music's Over" by The Doors, or "Fool on the Hill" by The Beatles, "Fearless" by Floyd, etc., it's tracks and albums that the hosts (Andy Frost, Al Joynes) have carefully selected, and they're all from a particular era. While during the week, it's pre-selected big hit songs that don't really sound right next to each other. The other day on Q, I heard "Bennie and The Jets" (Elton John), followed by "Iris" (Goo Goo Dolls), then "Sweet Child O'Mine (Guns N' Roses), then Kings of Leon, plus there's a lot of repetition. Wish Psychedelic Psunday could be expanded to more days of the week, it may turn out to be a good strategy.

August 29, 2015 @ 2:01 PM

JT

People have complained about the tiny playlist that Q seems to have, and I agree with them. But, most people seem to want to only hear The Hits -- or, at least, The Hits keep peoples' attention long enough for you to slap 'em with irritating commercials every few minutes, and that's what counts. Corus runs a business, and you need ratings for advertisers for money to run said business.

If you're looking for true variety, hit up a college station; I was a DJ years ago on one, and aside from hitting CanCon and new-music requirements, we had absolutely free reign to play anything we liked, which we did. KEXP in Seattle streams everywhere and is fantastic.

I ditched Q's morning show for the drive in years ago; I can't stand Derringer's endless prattling-on about nothing, so I switched to CBC (1 when I want useful info, 2 when I want great music with practically no commercials). Maybe Mo will be a little better when she gets her own show.

Sorry to hear about Jeff Woods going, though. I used to listen to Alan Cross' "Ongoing History" at 8, then Woods at 9, on Sunday nights; at least Cross is back on 102.1, proving that Corus' blind squirrel found a nut.

Q does have interesting programming occasionally -- Psych Sunday plays "Sun Goes By" by Dr. Music every week because of CanCon, but aside from that you really can hear some unique stuff (I discovered Mahogany Rush and Climax Blues Band from there). Why don't they play obscure stuff the rest of the time, if this show gets big ratings? Ehh, there's gotta be a reason, but I sure-as-shootin' don't know it.

August 30, 2015 @ 9:56 AM

K

@JT Business isn't very good for them right now, so obviously they may need to try some different strategies.

August 30, 2015 @ 1:39 PM

David

Like Boomer, I also can only take Maureen in small doses only. She's definably not a Rock n' Roll D.J., just a chitty-chatty person. AX HER!

September 1, 2015 @ 3:52 PM

Peter P

Listened in to Q107 yesterday afternoon, only to learn that Kim Mitchell wasn't in but a new show called the " MoShow" was on. Mmmmm Just learned that Kim Mitchell was let go. I started listening to Q in 1978 when it began. It was different, lively, great ROCK music and enjoyable to listen to. Now, not so much. I don't want to listen to John Derringer and his side kicks talk and talk and talk about nothing. They laugh at things that only they would know was funny, not the listener. It's not funny to the listener! Play music. If anyone should be fired, it should be Derringer and his cronies. The morning show is old and boring now! As for Kim Mitchell, good Canadian musician, tolerable D.J. He won't be missed! Q107 needs a big house cleaning to get the originals fans back!

September 2, 2015 @ 7:46 AM

Burlington T

I came back from vacation a couple weeks ago and wasn't hearing the usual shows. I just assumed the DJs were on vacation. I found out on by reading this site that they were let go. Kim Mitchell was my favourite, I'm going to miss "damn I wish I wrote that".

September 2, 2015 @ 5:26 PM

Heidi

Here's what I hate most about the changes at Q107, they don't even have a DJ on in the evenings anymore. I have a fairly long commute to and from work and for 45 minutes of that commute I'm driving and used to enjoy first Dominic Diamond and then Nails Mahoney in the evenings on my drive home. But now it's Derringer at Night, no DJ, but the odd pre-recorded comment from the morning show between the songs. If I don't even get a DJ to listen to, I might as well just plug my ipod in and listen to my own playlists, at least I know I'll enjoy all of the music being played.

September 3, 2015 @ 4:39 PM

Sonya G

Didn't care much for either Dominik Diamond or Nails Mahoney so they won't be missed. Kim Mitchell rambled on and on to the point that I changed the channel. The Mo Show doesn't work for me, she can't carry a show on her own hence they have John S. on the air with her - ergo they traded 1 DJ for 2? I would have preferred they signed Jeff Woods to the drive home. Now he is worth listening to! The morning show is lacking these days as well. I have been listening to the Q for about 15 years now, I guess it is time for a change.

September 8, 2015 @ 2:23 PM

B-Man

I agree that the playlist is way too small. That has to change. It's getting way too easy to flip around the dial when you hear a song that you've had enough of.

DD and NM were decent, but not my faves by any means. Kim did a fine job once he got going, and I believe he was an asset to the station.

Not sure how Mo will do as the afternoon person. She can be amusing, but probably better in the sidekick role with Derringer.

Jeff Woods will be missed. I think that will be the one they regret the most.

I hate the idea of jumping ship, but Q107 needs to get their s**t together.

September 8, 2015 @ 3:45 PM

Johnnie

The mighty Q ain't so mighty anymore! All these cuts surprise me though, I've been listening to 97.3 for a month or so now. It's a lot like Q used to be! 🎩

September 8, 2015 @ 3:47 PM

Another Dave

I made another comment on the sad state of Q107 on one of the Open Mike days.

The person who talked about Spence Diamonds nailed it . Nothing has driven me to my Ipod more than those commercials . I don't even understand why they advertise there . The average Q listener is probably already married , many even more than once . Why are they not on 99.9 or 92.5 ? I am sure its their biggest client - but why let it destroy your whole station.

The other thing is the repetition. April Wine and Heart all the time. We have over 45 years of great Canadian music since The Guess Who broke out in 1969. Yet on two trips out in the car Sunday , once in the morning , once in the evening -- April Wine!

September 8, 2015 @ 6:01 PM

Gary

Cant believe the cuts, I went to listen to Kim Mitchell as I did every day and thought he must be on sabbatical for the summer so that he could do a short summer tour. Then I start hearing the afternoon Mo show and I,m confused. Mo is a great second or third banana but cannot hold a show on her own. And letting Jeff Woods go is just lunacy! He has the best voice in rock radio! I,m starting to turn the dial a lot more now due to Q,s over playing of Rush and the Hip. I know they are can con but give us a break. Go back to classic rock and give us some different songs!

September 8, 2015 @ 8:08 PM

Michael

Good call to all commenters on the Spence Diamond commercials - they are channel changers for sure. I don't like any of the DJ changes but what I really fear for is the classic rock format. An excellent station I listened to at my cottage (Moose Huntsville) just changed from classic rock to the bubblegum music format and hence is now off my tunein dial. I fear the same thing may happen to stations such as the mighty Q. Then where do us old rockers turn to?

September 10, 2015 @ 4:26 PM

Susan Lyndon

I listened to Kim Mitchell every drive home. The stories were great. I think I liked him most because he WAN"T a DJ. Interviews were awesome. I got kids in my elementary guitar club to follow his mini lessons on the website... and the Kid Mitchell band was brilliant.

How very sad.

September 13, 2015 @ 1:47 PM

Mmme

Believe it or not I just realized to night that Nails was gone. I could get into him I liked Alex and DD is warped and so funny. I follow him on twitter and he is nuts and I love it. Jeff Woods is/was fabulous to listen to. Didn't care for Little Stevie. Kim had a bad attitude and he whined at times too. Joanne is ok. I do not mind her. JD is so self righteous and enough is enough. I'm glad Corus got him to get help and he was able to clean himself up but I do not enjoy him. He has money now however not all his listeners do. He can't relate to his audience. I like Ryan. and Flairboy is good, he is the producer of the show. He doesn't live in his parent's basement. He lives in a condo not too far from the station. BTW he is a widower. He was married and his wife died of cancer.
At one point I was friendly with Scholes. He wanted the morning show. I told him to take a morning show outside of the GTA. I mentioned that Dave FM was looking. No he wanted Q mornings. He never cared for MO. She was selfish he told me. She would comment on a new product and whine and someone would send her one. She at one time had 4 Dyson vacuums and refused to give one to anyone else. Will be interesting to see how the afternoon show works out. On the Q website they have MO listed for afternoons and Scholes as swing announcer which he has been listed as for some time. I had hoped that Dominic would take over the morning show instead of JD.,
I wrote to Q to asked why they rarely play Tull and Chicago other than,Does anyone know what time it s... They were not listed on that last survey either but Taylor Swift was.? Don't care for her.
I do like that they play Nirvana , Sheepdogs, The black Keys...
I noticed too that Q plays the same songs overnight that they play during the day.
As for Andy Frost. I like the music & Psych Psunday, but I do not care for his talking down to the listeners. He treats them like little kids. And when he has to announce a word for a contest he drones on about it and he repeats himself. he belabors the point. Why does he continuously milk things for all their worth? Why not Just say the word or code, repeat the word and move on. I feel he likes to keep people hanging on cause he is just so wonderful. No he's not.
The last survey took forever to complete. then Q sent me 2 more emails asking me to take the survey. Do they even look at the results?
As for Spence ads they make me ill. So phony. I also do not care for Korry ads. Saul likes to drop names and hear himself talk.
So many choices out there to listen to, Q should get over themselves and start playing for their audience.With no audience it's hard to sell ads...

September 14, 2015 @ 12:36 AM

Michael

Jeff Woods was let go?? Are you kidding me?? He's a radio god. What are they thinking?? Noooooo.

September 21, 2015 @ 8:34 PM

Open Lid

Funny Stern offended so many step in Derringer. Tried cutting edge. Tool of the day. It was cut. Fell in line generic morning. Mitchell from what I heard simply asked for a once a week radio spot. He was offered the afternoon gig. The song lists. Sick and tired of hearing fellow boomers ramming this down our throats.

September 29, 2015 @ 10:05 PM

open lid

I did enjoy Kim. I meant the redundant song list in general.

September 29, 2015 @ 10:09 PM

Arthur

Kim Mitchell was great in his spot. He always explained the Ideas behind the songs well.I was looking forward to him interviewing Jimmy Page a month or so back. Q-107 Has been stale and lousy for some time now. Same old repetatitve classic stuff and no new alternative or new-wave stuff. And in the morning at 6-7 who wants to here "in the air tonight" . How about more "Revolution" or "Jetairliner" or "Start me up". You Know, punchy energetic music. I've been sick of this for years now and don't listen most of the time.

October 12, 2015 @ 11:25 PM

Marg

So you take off a couple of months off then come back and get an afternoon show ???
Didn't really care for MO in the morning with Derringer (who I do like), but Ryan & Flamboy ......that's another story.
It has forced me to look for another radio station for my drive home. BTW I did like Nails

October 20, 2015 @ 9:30 AM

jimmy jimmy

DD filled in for Staffy on AM640 in the summer...AND WAS GREAT and he should have his own talk show AND there is plenty of re-roll DEAD time over at 640 but the dollar rules. Repeating Oakly, or Staffy, or Coast to Coast crap is way cheaper than producing anything stimulating. With Q107 - eegad, what can you say about that absolutely horrible unlistenable train-wreck. They were IT when I started University in the early 80's - like WOW. I listen to Q101 online out of Chicago - their ALT and LOUD channels are a real treat - bummer is you can't get it in your auto, though I can get Slick Tom out of Buffalo. BTW I dumped 102.1 from all my radios after SHUT UP AND DANCE appeared in their playlist 50x per day - how does Josie do her CountDown shows with content from Soundgarden, Tool, Linkin Park, Korn, Mudhoney, Ministry, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Pearl Jam, Jane’s Addiction, Beck, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine and then play all the hipster-doofus mandolin plucking stuff....ponderous, completely ponderous!

October 28, 2015 @ 6:30 PM

Joe R.

Was wondering for the longest time what really happened, why these people weren't there anymore. When Kim did his last day he just said he was finished after that show it was like a bomb dropping for me. And I always liked Nails, thought he was entertaining. As for presently, I don't think the Mo show is gonna last because she just can't really carry a show. I mean it's a rock station do we really need segments on Hollywood gossip? She had a small part on Deranger's show and that was fine and she should have stuck to it. And then the automated evening show is basicly a couple songs that were played yesterday and the day before as well as a ton of advertisements. It's part of Deranger's show from that morning so if you happen to have heard the show that morning and you are again listening to the station in the evening you get the repeat. There are so many great tunes out there that Q doesn't play I mean when was the last time we heard Grank Funk, Boston, Forienger or Styx. Even if they do play anything from these bands it always only 1 of 2 or 3 songs by those artists. grand Funk has more great songs than just We're an American Band yet you'd be hard pressed to hear others songs by them. instead of playing Signs by Five Man Electrical Band twice a day they could cut back on it and play some more less played music. there are many songs that don't get played but there are so many that get overplayed it's nuts. I find myself listening to my mp3 way more now, it so sad.

October 29, 2015 @ 2:23 PM

Fred

Why do they blather so much on Q107 in the morning? Is it a Can con thing?
So stale, and I'm almost 50! Who still listens to Saga anymore!!!

November 1, 2015 @ 4:37 PM

Flyingman

i remember day 1, song 1 (Hard Rock Town by Murray McLauchlan) ever played on this new station opening in Toronto that an older brother was talking about, that station was the Mighty Q Throughout Q's earliest days during my high school years, it introduced me as it had many others, to music new and inspiring leading me to become the musician am.

Despite truly limited choices, and let's face folks, new but lame music of the mid 80's, I still tuned in more than every so often while I lived and worked in the GTA, (Thanks for the laughs Champ), but eventually all good things must come to pass as had Q's programming by "jumping the shark" in the late 90's with Howard Stern's bitchfest and that lame excuse for a show.
I returned to Q only to hear his partner STILL whining about not having been payed for the push up challenge Stern laid on him Three months later....that did it for me, I tuned out!

it was years before I tuned in again only to rediscover how lame programming had gotten (with the exception of Jeff Woods and Derringer, both class acts).
Sadly gone are the days when DJ's programmed the music themselves, dared to play something new and undiscovered, opening a world of possibilities to young minds rather than the commercial push of corporate interests.
Thankfully, I now live close enough To Georgina Island an hour north of T.O. to pick up a station that doesn't conform to corporate interest, doesn't blather on about inane nonsense, once per hour on the hour, I get the news and weather as well as local upcoming community events.
Now I am a Big fan of Morgan in the Morning on 92.3 Nish Radio., goodbye Q.

I choose Independent radio as it used to be....

November 7, 2015 @ 4:21 PM

jim

I wondered what happened to Kim - I will really miss his show . I can't agree more about the annoying Spence commercials - god they are horrible !

November 9, 2015 @ 7:17 AM

Frank

RIP Q107 Was a great station and is now at an all time low. Pull the plug on the morning show and they may as well sign off for good.

November 19, 2015 @ 6:10 PM

RIP Q107

I was a regular listener of Q107 since my high school years (the 80's)...I listened less and less to Q as I got older...I am now 47 years. The problem I had with the Q wasn't there DJ's, it was hearing the same old classic rock songs and artists over and over. I don't think the Music director(s) were classic rock fans cause if they would've known how much classic rock artists, groups and songs there are out waiting to be played/heard. Bands such as the Stones and the Beatles have extensive music libraries....so why was Q only playing a hand full of there songs, over and over and over,.....For me it was always about the music...Classic rock!!!
When I reached the point where I couldn't take it any longer I sent the folks at Q an email outlining my disappointment and never looked back. I recently heard from some friends who are loyal Q listeners, they have told me how diverse there format is...it's not only laughable it's embarrassing. Sorry Q107 you are no longer a classic rock station. You're more like Boom 97.3...playing a variety of music.
I am now a proud and regular listener of Giant FM 91.7....they play a variety of classic rock songs and artists and bands..... R.I.P. Q107
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World Folks!!!!

November 25, 2015 @ 2:13 AM

Sandy

I have listened to Q107 on and off for years but mostly loved the morning show. Don't love it anymore without Mo. I liked the chemistry she had with the guys. Now it's a sad boys club with very little intersting conversation. Unfortunately Mo's afternoon show with John Skoals is flat. His personality does not help. I think she would gave been better partnered with Dominick Diamond. Not sad to see Kim go but this is frankly no better.

Jeff Woods had the best show on the station and they let him go???? With that smooth silky voice and his story telling abilities, he would have made the perfect evening guy. Instead, they're replaying snippets from Designer in the morning. How pathetic! Is this new formula actually working or does it even matter anymore?

I feel sorry for anyone trying to make it in the radio industry these days but, at least in the case of 107, they would seem to be their own worst enemy.

As for the music content, they finally expanded their music selection ever so slightly but it's still so stale it should be served over romaine lettuce and smothered in Caesar dressing.

The mighty Q is more like the mousy Q these days. Very sad.

November 26, 2015 @ 4:19 PM

Rick

John Derringer was a great afternoon drive guy back in the 90's. They moved him to the morning drive - he drank the cool aid and it was down hill from there.

Kim Mitchell had a rocky start but was bearable because of his seasoned co-host. She left and he got better. His interviews and jam sessions with rock stars are legendary. The Kid Mitchell Band stuff was good too.

Jeff Woods is a legend. His Sunday evening show was worth going for a drive to listen to. Even as a fill in DJ his mellow deep voice was incredible.

Mo and Scholes are still trying to find their chemistry. Would rather be listening to Jeff Woods.

Joanne Wilder really drives social media - both for content and to add flare to her show. She is current and relevant.

I liked Dominic Diamonds show. He really liked Toronto and he talked about the city with great warmth. Was sorry to see him go.

Not a big fan of Nails but every now and then he was really funny.

Running JD in the evening is just rehashing old garbage.

Not crazy about the short classic rock play list and the "new" rock.

I listen to The Dock occasionally and like that they play songs from deeper on the charts. The gems that didn't make it to the top 5 but were good songs.

December 2, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

Rockin' Randy

Pspeaking of getting pstale, Psychedelic Psunday is getting pstale. I started listening to it 30 years ago when i was in high school. When i put it on now, it's still the same songs as in 1985. I wish Andy would use the show as a platform for exposing listeners to the non-mainstream music of that period that they havent heard before, instead of the same Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd. etc. 30 years later i am still discovering great music that i've never heard before, but Q107 listeners will never get to hear it. For example Fairport Convention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDzyOV-nb8g , Nick Drake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr3-ScLFG4w , or Larry Coryell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmowaGAQI9Q There's also an untapped treasure trove of British music from the Canterbury scene, in addition to music from other countries. But no, same old, same old.

p.s. someone above mentioned april wine, they have been played 4 times so far today including Sign of the Gypsy Queen :)

December 10, 2015 @ 7:13 PM

JD must go

Rick
Not only do they rehash JD at night, but before he is live in the morning at 6 they rehash the previous day's bits from 5. They advertise that he is on 5 to 10. True but not live.

Then the screaming monkey called Flairboy rehashes again on the weekends.

It should be called JD107. He used to be a hack doing the day shift at The Grand West on Keele in the late 80s. Nothing much changes.

December 13, 2015 @ 11:00 PM

jake

i saw Kim Webster at a Guess who concert at Ont Place a few yrs back. Kim was playing with a bassist only. I tried to find out if this was money or the GH didn't want competition? Guess who didn't disappoint but Max Mitchell would have been a lot better with a band.

December 28, 2015 @ 6:02 PM

Toneman

I can't really figure out if Q107 lost me, or vice versa. I started to get tired of Q's rapidly aging playlist at least fifteen years ago; I just can't believe how they can play so few selections from some of the greatest rock bands in history. The same two songs from the Scorpions, the same seven or eight from Led Zeppelin (of course), maybe four from AC/DC, two or three from The Who, etc.

While there is no shame in the fact that Q's audience is aging naturally, I would hate to think that our demise is being expedited by Q107 actually boring us to death.

Their recent transit and billboard ad campaign, in which they claim to actually recognize the existence of music recorded in this century, was laughable, once I was able to get past it's incredible arrogance. Rock must continue, and radio is still a huge part of it's growth and longevity. With so many great bands, both new and old, Q107 has a huge opportunity to be the biggest and the best, as it once was.

How the mighty have fallen.

January 13, 2016 @ 7:40 PM

Anonymous

i will miss everyone..that.s all i have to say

January 15, 2016 @ 6:58 AM

Fred Middleton

Dominik Diamond was the most enjoyable and entertaining DJ on radio, and brought joy to whatever station he was on. Doesn't seem very smart to cut such a talent?

January 20, 2016 @ 12:38 PM

Jeff Woods

Someone just sent me this link to blog entry. Thank you Mike. And thanks to those who commented. Since last summer, I have been writing a book about my 30 years in radio and records. It is nearly finished. Will start pre-sale of signed hard cover copies Mid March 2016 and it will come out in audio and e-book formats too. I am not running back to radio anytime soon, but rather come with a podcast, similar in nature to my former Legends of Classic Rock series. It is fir anyone that cares about music and music history. For more: jeffwoodsradio.com. And I will add you to my press list, for the pre-launch of the book, Mike. Best. Jeff.

February 26, 2016 @ 5:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Best of luck, Jeff!

February 26, 2016 @ 8:37 PM

Mick

@Fred Middleton - I felt the same way about Dominik Diamond - to me he was hands down the funniest and most enjoyable to listen to. But reading through the comments here I realize a lot of people either found him just okay or downright annoying - I guess his humour is not Canadian enough and lots of people either find it offensive or unfunny.

That being said it appears that a lot of people don't like Maureen Holloway either, and she's still around with her god-awful afternoon show. I'm now listening to HTZ-fm on my evening commute just because of her horrendous unfunny jokes that seem to even make Scholes cringe.

March 9, 2016 @ 12:50 PM

Lynx

So now I see what all the cuts were all about. Corus just bought Shaw for 2.65 Billion dollars. It's ALWAYS about the money. Nobody and I mean Nobody gives a damn about what people want anymore.

March 24, 2016 @ 10:13 PM

Lynx

March 24, 2016 @ 10:13 PM

Phil

Maybe it's because I'm getting older , but I find I listen to Talk Radio AM640 (sister station) more. It came to a point that I just couldn't stand listening to AC/DC's "Hells Bells, or Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll on the morning commute at 7:30am anymore while trying to attain caffeine stimulus to wake up and help get my day going. It didn't help if the morning show sucked that day. Being a guitarist, I wish Kim Mitchell was still around, and doing at least 3 hours. I'm sure all the people cut loose was to do with the Shaw purchase.

March 28, 2016 @ 4:51 PM

Jeff Woods

thanks to those who support! some kind words - much appreciated. and thanks to Toronto Mike whose podcast was fun to be a guest on. I have one now too and it's gaining steam on iTunes with 8 archived episodes and #9 coming Monday. and if you buy books, I've written one about my 30 years in the radio & record businesses .... jeffwoodsradio.com/shop cheers to each of you.

July 21, 2016 @ 5:09 PM

Jeff Woods

July 21, 2016 @ 5:09 PM

Frank Chiappetta

Q107, too many repetetive music, needs more variety.
John Derringer has overstayed his welcome.

October 12, 2016 @ 9:59 AM

Dusty

@Jason:

Same here, Jason; there's enough new rock locally in Toronto for Q107 to be playing instead of all of this classic stuff. Time to start hiring some DJ's who know about the music scene and who also have ears to the ground. Somebody at NOW Magazine said it best in an article from last week:

With only a few exceptions, radio stations in Toronto have never been supportive of local music. Though some acts may make it into regular rotation, it’s usually not until after they’ve been signed, and even then, support seems oddly selective.

Local radio could have made Lowell into a huge star, but it hasn’t happened (yet). Campus radio does play local acts more often, but it always seemed marginalized in Toronto, and sadly doesn’t hold the same influence on the local scene as its equivalents do in smaller Ontario cities like Guelph or London.

You have to work extra-hard here to make ends meet if you want to make a go of it playing music. I feel like I see fewer younger kids starting bands nowadays, as they see how hard their elder siblings have had it. When it comes to making music at home, you better be an electronic producer with really good headphones, because no one has a basement jam space unless they move to the suburbs. There’s a waiting list to get into a monthly room at the Rehearsal Factory, and if you’re stuck using the hourly rooms, you don’t have much time to get adventurous with your sound – and you may well end up sounding like everyone else, using the same gear.

Even worse than the impact on residential and jam space rents, the out-of-control cost of commercial real estate makes it harder to keep a venue open unless you’ve figured out a booking strategy to maximize bar sales. It seems that every week there’s a news story about a live music club closing. Rising rents mean only the few well-established venues who own their buildings are safe.

The club circuit’s dependence on alcohol sales also means that all-ages shows are an even more endangered species. Club owners understandably don’t want to take the risk of losing their licence when there are no immediately demonstrable rewards to letting in people who are underage.

And when it comes to non-commercial music, those spaces are increasingly being pushed to the periphery. There is no longer a dedicated space for improvised music since Somewhere There shut down, although Arraymusic and other rooms have filled the void.

My solution would be for the city to help support the creation of a new music venue that is centrally located; creative, cross-genre and not necessarily commercial; all-ages and accessible; licensed and late-night; professionally produced and soundproofed; curated programming-wise; affordable or better yet free to rent/book; multi-room (small and large venues under the same roof); multi-purpose (could easily flip from rock show to classical concert); multi-arts (also suitable for screenings and other performances); and includes a café/bar/hangout space and office/incubator space for small music -organizations.

This isn’t as crazy as it sounds, and could be established with modest public and private investment, and possibly with the dedication of a city-owned facility or as part of a new development supported with Section 37 funds. I don’t know of any other city that has done something like this, and it could further put Toronto on the world music map. More importantly, it could create a lot of opportunities for cross-pollination amongst all the diverse threads of our music scene.

JONNY DOVERCOURT, WAVELENGTH-
COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE RENTS & RADIO

What we really need is to get rid of classic rock stations, completely and legally, but that's another story-we just need to play new music again like we used to on most radio, with classic rock limited to being played a few times a week.

October 24, 2016 @ 5:01 PM

ellen pacey

I miss the wonderful comrade tie between derringer and Holloway in the morning. Witty intelligent always funny ...they fed off each other. It’s difficult to duplicate that scenario. I misspelled commraderie

January 8, 2018 @ 10:49 AM