Video Hits with Samantha Taylor

Before MuchMusic appeared on my television, I got my video fix from two sources: Toronto Rocks on CityTV and Video Hits on CBC.

I preferred the rougher feel of Toronto Rocks, but I also enjoyed hearing from Samantha Taylor at 5pm. Here's a clip of Samantha Taylor hosting Video Hits in 1988, courtesy of Retrontario.

Samantha Taylor, by the way, was a pseudonym. Her real name is Myroslava Luciw. If anyone knows where she is today, I'd love to sit down and chat with her.

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I always found it interesting on Toronto Rocks how the host would, at least seemingly, also be operating the board on top of hosting the fucking show. Jesus Christ Znaimer give the man a break.. or at least give him a bigger salary. Given the low budget ingenuity of City's early days, I get the sense that it was real - one locked off camera (maybe a chimp to zoom in and out during intros/extros) and the host would fire the video and fade it in, syncing it up to what he was saying - sort of like a dj on a radio station hitting a post.

It was cheap and a bit shabby, but it worked.

June 9, 2015 @ 10:26 AM

Argie

Every show on City had the same production quality of a cable 10 show. Of course they were producing shows the established Cdn channels weren't but my God, it looked so cheap. Even the quality of the tape looked like it was taped by your uncle using his very expensive camcorder - which weighed about 30 lbs (circa 1985).

June 9, 2015 @ 11:37 AM

Lyle Lanley

Samantha Taylor would be a great guest on your podcast.

June 9, 2015 @ 3:15 PM

Alvin

I would watch Good Rockin Tonight as well. Friday's at midnight if I recall correctly.

June 9, 2015 @ 3:56 PM

@Alvin

With Stu Jeffries!

June 9, 2015 @ 3:57 PM

John

I wonder why Myroslava Luciw changed her name for TV.

(Okay, I don't really.)

June 9, 2015 @ 9:57 PM

Lou

Remember Sam taylor was on air at Q before doing video hits

June 10, 2015 @ 8:22 AM

Andy Burns

Mike, did you ever find out what became of Samantha Fox?

June 9, 2017 @ 2:49 PM

@Andy Burns

Do you mean Samantha Taylor?

She goes by Samantha Taylor Bojeczko now and seems very happy living her life right here in Toronto. I'd still love to have her on.

June 9, 2017 @ 2:52 PM

Greg Duffell

I just transferred a Betamax tape I had some Samantha Taylor bits on when she did "Video Hits" on Channel 47, prior to the CBC gig, around 1983. There was one clip that confused me at the time, and has obviously bothered me since. Here's what happened: Jonathan Gross, the host of another Ch.47 music show "Rockline", was on "Video Hits" presenting a video by Mel Brooks to Samantha Taylor that was a spin-off of Brooks' latest feature film, the WWII themed "To Be Or Not To Be", the remake of the 40's Jack Benny movie. Now, Samantha Taylor could have just introduced this herself, but Gross is present seeming as if he's trying to "sell" this weird video on her. After all, it's not the usual new wave band, it's a middle aged comedian and it turns out it's called "The Hitler Rap" featuring Brooks in full NAZI garb, Hitler mustache and singing and dancing with three beautiful ladies in showgirl outfits and three kinky looking goosestepping male dancers. So, it's potentially controversial material. The video ran and as it ended, Taylor's voice was heard commenting going to a commercial: "...Mel Brooks and the Hitler Rap. And I like it...I like it even though I'm kinda anti-communist myself I kind of sorta see Rodney and Mel rap about it all...". At the time I was shocked that someone who had a TV show would apparently refer to Hitler as being a communist! I know it was practically government policy to blur the lines between NAZI-ism and communism in the post war period, but was Samantha Taylor that oblivious to the distinctions? When I revisited the track yesterday when it was being transferred, I decided to do some research on Samantha Taylor, something I could never have done so easily in 1983. My guess as to her family background was confirmed. She is from a Ukrainian family. Here is what I speculate today about the clip and the presentation. Maybe Samantha Taylor was uneasy about presenting the clip herself because of her Ukrainian background. Jonathan Gross, who I presume is Jewish, may have been there to provide the "all-clear" seeing as though Brooks, also Jewish, was doing a skit about Hitler, a figure almost no one finds humorous, in particular Jews, Roma, Russians and many other targeted victims of the Third Reich. If there were complaints about the airing of the video from Jewish groups, they could point to Gross, a Jew, as having thought it had merit, leaving Taylor to be an innocent bystander. Ukraine had its own NAZI Waffen SS unit in WWII, not discussed much in Canadian society I believe because of how many people of Ukrainian descent live here. I now wonder if when Taylor said, "...I'm kinda anti-communist myself..." whether she was referring to Hitler or just expressing her personal political stance. Just to be clear, Adolf Hitler ardently detested communists and communism.

August 31, 2018 @ 1:25 AM

Greg Duffell

Just a correction to my above post: Samantha Taylor's show on Channel 47 was called "Video Singles", not "Video Hits".

August 31, 2018 @ 1:29 AM