Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 124

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 124In this 124th episode, Mike chats with Elvis about his heart, the PanAm Games, smoking at Go Stations, the Gardiner Expressway and more. Elvis also reviews Dean Blundell and Co. on The Fan 590. This episode is exactly 1:11:31.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Lynne

Welcome back, Elvis.

I second Mike's recommendation of HBO's The Jinx. Absolutely riveting. I lost sleep on that one because I couldn't stop watching.

June 5, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Nice to see Elvis back in the second chair. Looking forward to hearing this one!

June 5, 2015 @ 1:05 PM

Alison in Ottawa

As a cancer survivor I just love walking through a haze of smoke when I go to my check-ups at the cancer centre..... its the height of irony don't you think, seriously people???????

June 5, 2015 @ 3:05 PM

Tim

With regards to your bash of the Pan-Am Games, I think you are missing a key social aspect of the Games. For many under-privileged youth in the city , the Games provide opportunities that they otherwise would never have access to (i.e. Volunteering at an international event). Also, many of these youth have roots in many Pan-American countries. Just at work, I know dozens of coworkers who are heavily involved in the games, and have purchased tickets and are excited to not only to cheer for their home countries, but also go to their first sporting event (think back to the magic of your son's first hockey game)

And while they aren't the Olympics, the Pan-Am Games act as qualifiers for the Olympics. Many events use continental sporting events such as the Pan-Ams and the Pan-Asian games to determine not just who qualifies, but in what order they compete, and what pools of countries they compete with.

I was just disappointed that the positive social aspects of the games was overlooked. While yes, I agree with Elvis' points on the politics of the games, I strongly feel that you can't just write them off. Just because they inconvenience the Upper-Middle Class White Male businessmen and AM Radio Talk show Hosts, it doesn't mean that they aren't an integral part of Toronto Culture, and that the games have no impact. I'd be very interested in hearing a post-games podcast, played side-by-side with this podcast, to see how the opinions of the games have changed, if they do.

June 6, 2015 @ 9:48 AM

elvis

The PanAm Games are like Y2K. All manufactured hype.

June 6, 2015 @ 10:33 AM

Jackieb1

Totally agree with Elvis on the smoking piece, just don't do something you'll regret; what you need is someone who doesn't have a job or anything to lose to help with your plan - hey that's me....

June 7, 2015 @ 10:44 AM

thomaus

I assumed someone had corrected you by now on the Gardiner East decision. Both of you sounded like you thought one of the options was to totally take down the elevated highway. The entire removal is not in any of the proposals being debated.
The Hybrid version is actually keeping and fixing up the current elevated roadway. The exit ramp east of the Don down to the Lakeshore will be taken down and new exit ramps will be built west of the Don.
The Boulevard version will take down the elevated roadway east of Jarvis. In its place an eight-lane boulevard will be constructed at ground level. Ramps will be built to connect to the DVP and the Gardiner west of Jarvis.
Here's a summary: http://codeblueto.com/post/118803001148/gardinereast-reality-check
There has been a lot of disinformation on this issue from the War-on-the-Car crowd and the Mayor, but I was kind of shocked to hear back how that message gets through.

June 8, 2015 @ 7:49 AM

@thomaus

Thanks for clarifying. We weren't clear at all.

Yes, the decision looming is regarding the Gardiner east of Jarvis. I think Elvis and I started daydreaming bigger.

June 8, 2015 @ 7:56 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Cheers Elvis, have the same feeling about smokers who hang at the edge of patios, and smoke heads into where everyone is eating etc.
Worst I experienced it was when I use to take my kids to Blue Mountain skiing and a bunch of kids would light up in the lift lines. Just heard Whistler (I believe0 has banned smoking in the lift lines, at least one step forward.
The irony of the MetroLinx security guard pausing your conversation to tell people to butt out. If they gave fines as they do with fare jumpers, might discourage a few from lighting up.

June 8, 2015 @ 9:42 PM