Maple Leafs Draft Mitchell Marner

With the fourth overall pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs have drafted Mitchell Marner of the London Knights.

I've had this feeling since April. This past season he tallied 44 goals and 82 assists to amass an astounding 126 points across 63 OHL games.

He's not big, but he's got boatloads of skill, and I'm glad he's a Maple Leaf.

mitch-marner

dale

Leafs should have picked Hanifan.

Marner same size & ability as Nylander last years 1st pick for Leafs.
2 small undersized centers. Wait till they get to NHL in 2-3 years - Hopefully turn out like Johnny Hockey in Calgary.

Fingers crossesed.

June 26, 2015 @ 8:35 PM

Sammi

Don't the Leafs have enough guys like this? They will just keep on getting pushed around.

June 26, 2015 @ 8:46 PM

@dale

You wrote "same size & ability as Nylander".

Nothing I've read suggests this. In fact, I doubt you'll find a single analyst or scout who thinks Marner and Nylander have the same ability.

Marner > Nylander, without a doubt.

June 26, 2015 @ 8:48 PM

Speysidephil

bad bad choice for the Leafs. As I said manY posts ago he is too small to survive in today's NHL.
Bad choice, but hey

June 26, 2015 @ 10:34 PM

Speysidephil

Sorry got cutoff, but hey I'm not a Shannahan!

June 26, 2015 @ 10:37 PM

Argie

Marner is a fun player to watch - speed, vision and a great hockey sense. However, I'm surprised Babcock would OK a pick like him.

June 27, 2015 @ 7:08 AM

With that much skill, that much hockey sense, and oodles of character, I'm excited to watch Marner suit up for the blue and white. The fact he's not 6 foot 3 doesn't bother me in the least.

June 28, 2015 @ 10:00 AM

RJ

The Hurricanes are also glad he's a Leaf. (only the 4th best centre picked). Getting a #1 D like Hanifan (the guy Babcock wanted) may have saved the franchise

June 28, 2015 @ 8:09 PM

Blind Dave

I was leaning towards Hannafin as well, but only time will tell. It's still a crapshoot. Look at the later rounders who end up having great careers in the NHL. No one would ever expect it.

June 28, 2015 @ 9:21 PM

Only time will tell, so I'll go on the record as saying Marner will be the 3rd best player chosen in this draft.

June 28, 2015 @ 9:24 PM

bdot

will he be wearing 93? big shoes to fill

June 29, 2015 @ 11:52 AM

fourteen

Speysidephil, you hit on something I've been wondering about lately. I have the impression that the league is evolving towards fast, skilled skaters/puckhandlers. The size factor seems to be losing out to this new generation of puck handling magicians. In the playoffs it appeared to me that checking occurred mostly in tight possession battles, not as much open ice checking for checking's sake. Thoughts?

June 30, 2015 @ 12:38 AM

The most exciting centre in the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs was Tampa Bay's Tyler Johnson. He was awesome.

June 30, 2015 @ 7:43 AM