Following Sports is a Big Fat Waste of Time

How many hours have I wasted watching sports on television? So many Leafs games, so many Raptors games, so many Jays games... then there's Olympics and tennis majors and the junior and world hockey championships. Not to mention all the other events that suck me in, like Super Bowls and Stanley Cup and NBA playoffs and world and Euro cups...

It affects my moods, yet I have no control over the outcome. It costs me boatloads of money, because it's really the only reason I pay for cable television. It's time I could be spending on other things, better things.

And really, what does it matter? Most of the sports I watch are multi-millionaires playing a game so we can be marketed cola and beer. Following sports is a big fat waste of time.

But just this past week I enjoyed thrilling Blue Jay walkoff victories, a last minute game winning goal by Canada's Christine Sinclair, a plucky Lightning team making my Black Hawks sweep prediction look silly and one of the greatest individual performance in the history of the NBA finals. Seriously, what LeBron James is doing with a bunch of average teammates is mind blowing.

And that's why I watch. You never know what you're going to get, and sometimes it's incredible. I'm a slave to the spectacle.

Jay

The key word is "slave" Mike. That is what TV makes u. Turn it off & u will experience a whole new world, one without the mood swings that u talk about.

When u ride your bike, U, not any of the bike racers are experiencing the agony & pain & in the end the exhilaration of the ride.

Don't live vicariously through these overpaid sports athletes, live your life. Its better to play the game yourself than to watch it.

June 14, 2015 @ 2:01 PM

Ben

100 percent, depends on how you look at it...

Sports is entertainment, like Game of Thrones, when you just watch it for fun and dont get so worked up about it then its fine. The Jays losing shouldnt have a big emotional impact on it, if it does, then you're probably watching it with way to much attachment.

If Jon Snow loses a battle I dont run and cry about it, it should be the same about the Jays

June 14, 2015 @ 2:59 PM

Blind Dave

I used to be a huge sports watcher when I was younger. For the past 16 years or so, my watching has been passive to non-existent. I honestly can't recall the last time I watched a game, any game, from beginning to end. I have seen maybe 10 minutes total of the Stanley Cup final, and I managed to watch the last five minutes of the MON-OTT game. I haven't seen an inning of Blue Jays yet this year.

Mind you, I do know what is going on in all of the major sports except basketball. So I do read the papers and the blogs, yet I have no desire to watch much anymore.

Here's an example. I had the available time on Saturday to watch the hockey game. Instead I ended up making a pizza, spending time with my wife, playing with the cats, and pounding the treadmill for 45 minutes. When I checked the score online, the game was over. So I had a shower, then we grabbed some munchies and watched an episode of Hangar One. Then it was bedtime.

And even when I did watch, I never lived and died or took it personally. It was a thrill to see the two Jays World Series and I even had tickets behind home plate to an ALCS one year. It was awesome and a lasting memory, but it wouldn't have affected my mood other than momentary disappointment if they had lost.

I do have favourite teams and I want to see them win, but these feelings are passing thoughts at best.

June 14, 2015 @ 3:17 PM

Lyle Lanley

Mike, imagine how much better we'd be if we could quit sports for good?

I agree with everything you wrote.

June 14, 2015 @ 4:26 PM

Army

Mike,

Sports is a pastime. The older I get, the more selective I have become as to which sports I follow. NHL, NFL, NBA, NASCAR, and unfortunately NCAA basketball (Except the final 4) have dropped off my list over the years. Far too long to watch with the talking heads and advertising. MLB and European football have become my faves. At least with footy you know in less than 2 hours the game will be over. (And yes, a nil-nil game can be boring......or very exciting.) Four hours to watch an NFL game???? Enjoy the advertising! Baseball...........no time limit, no goons, hardly any punch-ups and a leisurely pace. (As a Jay's fan, I turn off the audio on tv and listen to the radio.) We are all different and that is the beauty of being a sports' fan.

June 14, 2015 @ 4:29 PM

dale

I used to watch NHL, MLB & other sports all the time.

Last couple of years my time watching on TV has dwindled to next to nothing. Sports has become entertainment which it always was but now with MULTI $ athletes it's like the WWE. A live "performance" is not in my price range.

I do keep track of the Toronto teams constantly, but there's always a slip & lose 10 in a row.
The Bandwagon lost its wheels years ago & as Burkie said it's falling off the cliff with casualties.

June 14, 2015 @ 4:49 PM

Cheryl

I am a sports fan. I used to hate baseball, but I like it a lot now. I followed hockey for a very long time, the longest. Then comes the NBA and the NFL and curling. I couldn't care about golf or nascar and wrestling, stuff like that and I do not care about the Pan-am games as you know.

June 15, 2015 @ 8:22 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I'm way too lazy to look, but someone above nailed it on the head with the term "emotional attachment". My wife loves the jays and the leafs and the raptors, but if it's looking grim for them in a tense elimination playoff game, she'll often shy away from watching because she doesn't want to get "hurt".

Me, I think it's an inherent risk that comes with the territory. I look at it like any relationship: It's better to have loved and lost, then never have loved at all. The problem is, the City collective is chronically dumped by our pro sports teams, leaving us quivering and curled up in a ball ... all the fucking time.

June 15, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

Nick

I was a "slave" to watching sports for years, primarily Leafs but 3 things happened the last 2 years that for the first time in maybe 45 years, I am no longer a slave to watching complete games. 1) I love to run and bike, just finished my first 10K and training for a half marathon next year so I no longer have that much time. 2) Social media and PVR: I can follow every minute of every game on Twitter and I can also Fast Forward and watch an entire game in just over an hour. 3) The Leafs are so horrible that I have lost a lot of interest, didn't even watch one game since mid February and I really don't care what happens going forward. Mike, if you knew me, you'd know that I am not a bandwagon jumper. I turn 50 this year and I have followed the Leafs every game since I was 5 years old. The stories of those kids hiding a transistor radio under their bed to listen to a Leafs/Kings or Leafs/Golden Seals 10:30 game...that was me. It is going to take a lot for me to come back to being a slave.

June 15, 2015 @ 11:25 AM

John

Live sports is the ultimate reality TV.

I watch a huge variety of sports on TV and my favourite sport is the one I am watching.

June 15, 2015 @ 9:47 PM

James Edgar

I've never been a slave and certainly never considered much sports appointment TV.

I do try to watch most F1 races and would consider any MotoGP races a MUCH watch if anybody would broadcast them in canada :( But haven't sprung the $150 to stream the season live. So i guess MUCH watch depends on price LOL I used to watch Indycar quite a bit but honestly the cars right now are way too ugly .

But like some others have said I keep up on the Toronto teams ,Mostly leafs and jays and i'll listen to news about anything else on the radio if the conversation is a little bit interesting.

Yes living your own life is preferable to being a "slave" to sports but I think we can safely assume Mike is doing quite a bit of that.

June 16, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

Dan

Watching sports is entertainment. You just happen to follow a bunch of really crappy teams so it may seem like a waste of time to you.

Watching sports is no different to other people "wasting time and money" playing video games, watching Netflix all day or even blogging.

June 16, 2015 @ 3:07 PM

Melissa

Watching sports sucks and men who are obsessed with sports are boring, stupid, emotionally and mentally stunted and out to lunch,
Real men don't watch other men play with balls.
Grow up.

June 18, 2016 @ 8:01 AM

mike

so being a loud, obnoxious turd (typically men) hurling things at the tv because your team did'nt make a first down makes you a real man? nah ah.

November 7, 2016 @ 10:09 AM