Mike Babcock New Head Coach of Maple Leafs

The Toronto Maple Leafs have won the bidding war for Mike Babcock with a monster $50 million deal over 8-years.

There's plenty of work to do before this team is competitive again, but this is a solid start.

welcome

Argie

So much for that 5 yr re-build everyone talked about.

May 20, 2015 @ 2:46 PM

Boomer

This is shocking. Money talks and this has set a new standard for what the coaching profession can earn.

May 20, 2015 @ 2:51 PM

Irv

Yep, because it's not like the Leafs have ever hired a top notch coach at the helm..only to have it fail on epic proportions.

Anyways, I'm busy watching a movie on Netflix. You know it.

May 20, 2015 @ 2:58 PM

Neil Clark Warren

A close friend overhead Mike Babcock saying "I have won The Stanley Cup, an Olympic Gold medal now is the time to sit back relax and enjoy the money.

May 20, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

Gump

8 years! WTF!
Oh, we will regret this...

May 20, 2015 @ 3:06 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

WoW!

May 20, 2015 @ 3:10 PM

Rob

Apparently, Buffalo offered a longer term with similar to the same money.

Glad he is here for long haul.

May 20, 2015 @ 5:34 PM

Anonymous

Can he score, back check, play D, if so good pick up!

May 20, 2015 @ 5:51 PM

The Jack

Only one problem for Babcock. The Leafs have no talent on the team. If he just makes the playoffs once in 8 years it will be a success.

May 20, 2015 @ 6:11 PM

dale

As of yesterday night all sports stations say he was to sign back in Detroit or Buffalo & Toronto wasn't even mentioned.
He is a good coach, one of the best in the NHL now, but a Great coach - NO. Scotty Bowman was a great coach.
Babcock won 1 Stanley cup & took Detroit to playoffs for 10 straight years with great players (including Shanahan). 2 Gold medals - anyone could have coached & won gold with those 2 teams.

McLellan would have been the best choice but McDavids team got him.

Players are in for a shock. The party is over boys.

May 20, 2015 @ 6:26 PM

The Jack

I think Mike Babcock chose the Leafs because he really believes in Toronto's ability.... to dump piles of cash at his doorstep.

May 20, 2015 @ 6:34 PM

Army

Mike who? Did he once coach the Craptors? Glad it's not my 50 million.

May 20, 2015 @ 7:00 PM

andrew

Is the signing Good Luck or Bab Luck.

Take the money & run

May 20, 2015 @ 7:07 PM

Tron

Looking at my twitter, I am confused, is he replacing Letterman?

May 20, 2015 @ 7:33 PM

GUNTer

I have this weird feeling - could it be excitement for next years team? I haven't had it in so long.
OMFG I have to say im pleased to see him join the team and have high hopes.
I don't care for Shanahan much, but damn this is good news imo.

May 20, 2015 @ 7:36 PM

Christos

I don't watch hockey but I am thrilled to see where the money everyone's cellphone, cable, internet and landline bills is going.

MLSE hasn't figured out that the coaches, players of Toronto's sport's franchises aren't the problem. Oh well, it's like watching a dog ran straight into a glass sliding door over and over again. A very expensive dog. Like a great Dane.

May 20, 2015 @ 8:37 PM

Alan

Another dumb-ass over paid, over-hyped contract by the Leafs. Doesn't matter how good the coach is. When you've got a lousy team like the Leafs, the result will be the same. Losers.

May 20, 2015 @ 9:32 PM

Wayner

Wait, don't they still need a GM?

May 21, 2015 @ 7:22 AM

Lynne

@ Irv
Funny!

May 21, 2015 @ 8:27 AM

Justin

Here we go again. We've been through this before as Leafs fans. This team is always looking for an anointed saviour to come in and fix things. First it was Dryden, then Quinn, then Burke. Always looking for a messiah to come in and solve decades of losing. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Getting Babcock is great, but I wish we didn't need him.

May 21, 2015 @ 9:13 AM

Tory Hill, Ontario

Can he overcome the curse of Harold Ballard,

May 21, 2015 @ 9:15 AM

Argie

Shanahan deserves the credit he's getting for landing MB but I've heard the closer on this deal was Leiweke. That guy can sell anything.

May 21, 2015 @ 9:46 AM

HP

Good one Irv!

May 21, 2015 @ 10:48 AM

Douglas

@Irv - Nailed it.

May 21, 2015 @ 3:24 PM

Anonymous

How did Bowman do in Buffalo? Agree he was a great coach, but that just goes to show you that the performance year over year is a composite of good drafts, good players, good coaching and a good management team. Leafs need work in almost all these areas, but the team does have some talent. Like so many of Shanahan's other recent moves, it's a start.

May 21, 2015 @ 3:30 PM

Cheryl

Well, the Leafs won't win the cup. The Habs will win it next year as they play the Coyotes in the final. Just wait.

May 21, 2015 @ 6:31 PM

JJ

If they can spend 50M on a COACH, then Y not give Edmonton 50M for the rights to McDavid. After all he will be the future of the NHL.

MLSE sure has money to burn.

May 21, 2015 @ 8:13 PM

Mel Preston

Anyone who doesn't see this as a positive move for the Leafs either doesn't like the Leafs anyway or isn't a sports/hockey fan.

There seems to be a different vibe with this group compared to other 'saviours' from the past. A true rebuild where they are warning that there is going to be some pain first. Where they are building a solid off ice team first. Where they have fired almost all scouts and previous coaches/management. Talking about making this a 'safe' place for the players. A place where star players will want to come.

It will take time. But I am hopeful they will stick to the plan of drafting and developing. Babcock has relationships with every elite Canadian player through his coaching the 2 Olympic teams. He is considered the best coach in the game. When was the last time the Leafs had anyone who was 'the best'.

And for all those comments about the $50M contract - it doesn't count against the salary cap. So I'm glad they are spending it on their front office and trying to build the best management team they can.

I don't care if they have the same record as they did last season. But they won't lose the same way. What I am hearing is that they will play hard and with a purpose to develop and get better. I can live with that. I'll support a young team busting their asses every night if I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

May 22, 2015 @ 1:03 PM